U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
EnjoyIt

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by EnjoyIt »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:31 am
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am
JoMoney wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:51 am Funny seeing both this thread and the " SOAR " thread active at the same time.
Both threads seem to have so much daily activity based on whatever direction things are going it's kind of lost the feel as an indicator of a 'really bad day' or good day.. it's just a daily thing now... but it is nice there is a outlet/thread for it.
Some here are so pessimistic that they want to get/keep this thread going even when stocks are up (+.71% s far today). :?
Please tell me if I am pessimistic.

I would prefer the market to stay stagnant for a few months. Maybe till the end of the year. Why? because I am concerned that if it rises too fast, it will pop and I don't want it to pop. Does that make me a bear or a bull?
I would say it makes you unrealistic given the current set of circumstances.
Can you please elaborate? I will go first.

1) Although COVID is going down, we still don't have a vaccine and unemployment is high though that is on the decline.
2) Plenty of small business have gone bankrupt and will not be returning.
3) Commercial real estate may go on the decline over the next few years because of bankrupt businesses as well as people will likely continue to work from home.
4) Business travel will unlikely return back to its pre-covid peak
5) Only a handful of companies are currently propping up the market some with pretty steep valuations.
6) We have an election coming and one party is talking about tax increases
7) NYC is in shambles and will likely take many years to return to its former glory
8) The US stock market is higher today than before COVID despite all of the above

I expect overall the market will continue to rise, but I have concern that if it rises too fast (whatever that means) we shall see "irrational exuberance" and a a burst. I think we are already seeing a little bit of that in some sectors I prefer to not name.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 am
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 am
JoMoney wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:51 am Funny seeing both this thread and the " SOAR " thread active at the same time.
Both threads seem to have so much daily activity based on whatever direction things are going it's kind of lost the feel as an indicator of a 'really bad day' or good day.. it's just a daily thing now... but it is nice there is a outlet/thread for it.
Some here are so pessimistic that they want to get/keep this thread going even when stocks are up (+.71% s far today). :?

I would prefer the market to stay stagnant for a few months. Maybe till the end of the year. Why? because I am concerned that if it rises too fast, it will pop and I don't want it to pop. Does that make me a bear or a bull?
An idealist perhaps?
sigh...so I don't belong in the free fall or soaring thread :)
No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

- John Donne
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

H-Town wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:03 am
Forester wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 am The S&P 500 has turned into a "junk stock" index; US stocks will
be soaring, just not US stocks like Tesla which are better at selling tax credits & stock, than selling cars.
In the voice of the Big Lebowski: "That's just like... your opinion, man."
Best reply of the day! :sharebeer
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am

1) Although COVID is going down, we still don't have a vaccine and unemployment is high though that is on the decline.
3) Commercial real estate may go on the decline over the next few years because of bankrupt businesses as well as people will likely continue to work from home.
5) Only a handful of companies are currently propping up the market some with pretty steep valuations.
7) NYC is in shambles and will likely take many years to return to its former glory
8) The US stock market is higher today than before COVID despite all of the above

I expect overall the market will continue to rise, but I have concern that if it rises too fast (whatever that means) we shall see "irrational exuberance" and a a burst. I think we are already seeing a little bit of that in some sectors I prefer to not name.
Just saying with all the potential binary events that are likely to resolve one way or the other by the end of the year, I would think a stagnant base building market to be unlikely. Nothing more than that.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:31 am

Just saying with all the potential binary events that are likely to resolve one way or the other by the end of the year, I would think a stagnant base building market to be unlikely. Nothing more than that.
Interesting, I would have guessed that with binary events it can go 50/50. I also only see only 2 binary events. The election and a COVID vaccine. Today I see a bit of extra exuberance in a few companies. I wonder if a pop in them can take down the entire market with it. Who the heck knows. Either way, I would prefer a little stagnation until a vaccine is definite. But, I'll take whatever happens.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:45 am

Interesting, I would have guessed that with binary events it can go 50/50. I also only see only 2 binary events. The election and a COVID vaccine. Today I see a bit of extra exuberance in a few companies. I wonder if a pop in them can take down the entire market with it. Who the heck knows. Either way, I would prefer a little stagnation until a vaccine is definite. But, I'll take whatever happens.
A COVID19 vaccine is far from binary. There are multiple strains of the virus, and a vaccine could be developed for any one of those strains. Further, vaccines have varying levels of efficacy. And the time line for populations to be inoculated is variable as well.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I don't see it as a vaccine question, I see it as either being controllable through mitigation, treatment and at some point a vaccine or going to the other extreme when combined with flu cases to cause closure, overwhelm hospitals and some other darker things. I do not believe things will average out because I think too many are intertwined with each other to some degree. But what do I know.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Since we don't have a proper Doom & Gloom thread, I'll have to make due with this one.

Economist article, "Psychological scars of downturns could depress growth for decades"
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-e ... or-decades

"The notion that a severe economic shock might do long-run damage is not new...Yet research also suggests that traumatic economic episodes can exert a drag on growth simply by altering people’s beliefs about the future...periods of economic hardship and spells of unemployment tend to depress people’s consumption for some time, even after controlling for income and other variables...New [research]...suggests that covid-19 could leave similar economic scars...people’s investment decisions are shaped by their beliefs about the future. Their risk outlook is in turn influenced by their experience, and the addition of an extreme negative shock—like covid-19—to that stock of experience can lead to a mass revision of beliefs that lasts throughout their lifetimes."
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm

I don't see it as a vaccine question, I see it as either being controllable through mitigation, treatment and at some point a vaccine or going to the other extreme when combined with flu cases to cause closure, overwhelm hospitals and some other darker things. I do not believe things will average out because I think too many are intertwined with each other to some degree. But what do I know.
So what binary events are you alluding to that give good reason for our continued market growth?
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:48 pm So what binary events are you alluding to that give good reason for our continued market growth?
Binary explosives, maybe?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:09 pm Since we don't have a proper Doom & Gloom thread, I'll have to make due with this one.

Economist article, "Psychological scars of downturns could depress growth for decades"

"The notion that a severe economic shock might do long-run damage is not new...Yet research also suggests that traumatic economic episodes can exert a drag on growth simply by altering people’s beliefs about the future...periods of economic hardship and spells of unemployment tend to depress people’s consumption for some time, even after controlling for income and other variables...New [research]...suggests that covid-19 could leave similar economic scars...people’s investment decisions are shaped by their beliefs about the future. Their risk outlook is in turn influenced by their experience, and the addition of an extreme negative shock—like covid-19—to that stock of experience can lead to a mass revision of beliefs that lasts throughout their lifetimes."
That's quite flattering, but I really don't deserve my own thread. *blush*

But it's understandable why I do quite enjoy this one when it's active--which I prefer for it not to be.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:48 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm

So what binary events are you alluding to that give good reason for our continued market growth?
Just saying they make stagnation through the remainder of the year unlikely. Didn't tie them to market growth.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:09 pm Since we don't have a proper Doom & Gloom thread, I'll have to make due with this one.

That's quite flattering, but I really don't deserve my own thread. *blush*

But it's understandable why I do quite enjoy this one when it's active--which I prefer for it not to be.
I'll try to arrange a double date for you with Fine & Dandy, sometime.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

^^^
LOL!
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

No-one's posted here today so far? Come on... it's the place to be today... :oops:
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

occambogle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 am No-one's posted here today so far? Come on... it's the place to be today... :oops:
I feel like Frosty: bumpity bump bump, except it is down the hill we go...
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Yeap yesterday was good for the portfolio, today down at 1.2% just staying the course...
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Give and take in the short term.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Stocks are plunging!! It's the end of the world!! They're back where they were Tuesday!!! :mrgreen:
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:20 am Stocks are plunging!! It's the end of the world!! They're back where they were Tuesday!!! :mrgreen:
Stocks could backpedal back to low March. :mrgreen: Sit back and enjoy.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

H-Town wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 am
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:20 am Stocks are plunging!! It's the end of the world!! They're back where they were Tuesday!!! :mrgreen:
Stocks could backpedal back to low March. :mrgreen: Sit back and enjoy.
They could also go up another 30%.

It seems pretty clear that stocks are falling because the labor market is recovering faster than anticipated. For a long while now, bad news for the economy has generally been good news for stocks.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Wednesday has, just like that, been wiped from existence, like something outta the Twilight Zone. All the things we did yesterday, also gone, and our memory of them will soon, yes, very soon now begin to fade and disappear. (Recently read The Memory Police by Yōko Ogawa, so please forgive me.)
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

It's all looking fairly bloody on the Tech/Nasdaq side of things... but I changed my charting software colors to show red for gains and green for losses and it's much better now....
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am
Wednesday has, just like that, been wiped from existence, like something outta the Twilight Zone. All the things we did yesterday, also gone, and our memory of them will soon, yes, very soon now begin to fade and disappear. (Recently read The Memory Police by Yōko Ogawa, so please forgive me.)
Good. Other than the market, Wednesday sucked.

occambogle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 am
It's all looking fairly bloody on the Tech/Nasdaq side of things... but I changed my charting software colors to show red for gains and green for losses and it's much better now....
It can also be fun to flip an axis, I hear.
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

I have some popcorn to make later while I enjoy the roller-coaster ride.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

Welp. Time to join this thread again. Nasdaq down by over 3.2% and dropping.

What exactly spurred this off?
buy. hold. repeat.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

A_Bond wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am Welp. Time to join this thread again. Nasdaq down by over 3.2% and dropping.

Profit taking I'm sure. Good time to buy a little more.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

atdharris wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 am
A_Bond wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am Welp. Time to join this thread again. Nasdaq down by over 3.2% and dropping.

+1 Possibly profit taking.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

atdharris wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 am

Purely by chance, today is the day I am moving my position in Small-Cap funds over to Total Market. Yay?
buy. hold. repeat.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Yesterday was more fun.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

It’s a buying opportunity!

We’ll never see prices this low again!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Are the QQQer's holding tight?
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Stinky wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 am
It’s a buying opportunity!

We’ll never see prices this low again!
Have you followed abuss368's lead and had all of the forward gears removed from your truck? :P
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

lostdog wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 am Are the QQQer's holding tight?
Unless your thesis for owning tech has changed, you hold. As of now, the tech revolution is still ongoing, unless it has suddenly ended overnight and I am not aware of it.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 am Yesterday was more fun.
Cognitive reframe 'til free-fall is fun-fall. Have you never been on a water slide when you were a kid? Around where I live, there used to be a place called Action Park. From Wikipedia:

Action Park's popularity went hand-in-hand with a reputation for poorly designed rides, under-trained and under-aged staff, intoxicated guests and staff, and a consequently poor safety record. At least six people are known to have died as a result of accidents on rides at the park, and it was given nicknames such as "Traction Park", "Accident Park", and "Class Action Park".

#my childhood
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Personally I have chosen to run around the room waving my arms in the air yelling we are all going to die. Others may have chosen to handle it differently.
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

Another close to a million people out of work, I have compassion for everyone who is hurting while others gloat.

And yes, I am staying the course and have been enjoying market advances lately.
Last edited by Ryzen on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:03 am
Personally I have chosen to run around the room waving my arms in the air yelling we are all going to die. Others may have chosen to handle it differently.
I'm shedding a little tear for the TQQQ in my (very small) Hedgefundie adventure. And another for the ARK funds in my taxable. But holding the line.......
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Ryzen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 am Another close to a million people out of work, I have compassion for everyone who is hurting while others gloat.

How is that compassion expressed beyond a post on an investing forum?
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:09 am
Ryzen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 am Another close to a million people out of work, I have compassion for everyone who is hurting while others gloat.

None of your business, just giving a viewpoint for why everything isn't all fine and dandy as one would assuming from reading the alternative thread. That's all I have to say on the matter. For being a bunch of buy an hold investors, this forum sure does talk a lot about day to day swings (either celebratory or otherwise)
rocketsrule

Post by rocketsrule »

I just want to apologize to everybody for the stock market crash. I bought some index funds this week therefore the market went belly up today
rocketsrule

Post by rocketsrule »

occambogle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:03 am
I'm shedding a little tear for the TQQQ in my (very small) Hedgefundie adventure. And another for the ARK funds in my taxable. But holding the line.......
I literally bought ARK funds the last two weeks and makes me realize that you really can't time anything. Test returns don't guarantee future
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

rocketsrule wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 am I just want to apologize to everybody for the stock market crash. I bought some index funds this week therefore the market went belly up today
Now if this becomes a pattern make sure to give us here heads up next time.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Growth top? Happy to be strongly tilted to value right now.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Ryzen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:13 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:09 am

None of your business, just giving a viewpoint for why everything isn't all fine and dandy as one would assuming from reading the alternative thread. That's all I have to say on the matter. For being a bunch of buy an hold investors, this forum sure does talk a lot about day to day swings (either celebratory or otherwise)
Ok, but if you express an opinion, especially one that implies something negative about others, you might expect follow up questions.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

The stock market is so absurdly random lol.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Now we've got a good free fall happening. It's a sell everything day if you're a talking head.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 am Growth top? Happy to be strongly tilted to value right now.
I would guess more of a bit of catch up for stocks that have been left behind but maybe it is a growth top.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Looks like the market might trip the circuit breakers today.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Gufomel wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 am The stock market is so absurdly random lol.
Agree but random in the short term.