U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Robot Monster

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Robot Monster »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 pm Pretty much today has gone sideways. Only hope for the soaring thread is for some gamblers buying in at the end of the day.
If it makes you feel any better, my China ETF is down 3.23% at the moment, so US markets looking' pretty spiffy in comparison.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 pm Pretty much today has gone sideways. Only hope for the soaring thread is for some gamblers buying in at the end of the day.
If it makes you feel any better, my China ETF is down 3.23% at the moment, so US markets looking' pretty spiffy in comparison.
Down around -.99% on my total international funds and around -.8% on total US funds. I'm not complaining. :D
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Might just be starting to happen.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Might just be starting to happen.
I would be quite pleased with flat or better slightly down through the end of the month.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Up in arms about netflix after hours. I have no idea what'll really happen tomorrow, but right now the market has some bad news to overcome.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:40 pm Up in arms about netflix after hours. I have no idea what'll really happen tomorrow, but right now the market has some bad news to overcome.
Netflix Stock Tumble Is A Buying Opportunity
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan ... 2217813327

Might sound crazy but it ain't no lie,
Buy, buy, buy, buy!
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:40 pm Up in arms about netflix after hours. I have no idea what'll really happen tomorrow, but right now the market has some bad news to overcome.
They should have followed every other company's lead and not offer any guidance for the rest of the year. They had an amazing number of new subscribers.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

jason2459 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 am
They should have followed every other company's lead and not offer any guidance for the rest of the year. They had an amazing number of new subscribers.
But we all knew they would have an amazing number of new subscribers. The question is how maintainable that is once things start to normalize and how far their growth will regress.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:59 am
jason2459 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 am
But we all knew they would have an amazing number of new subscribers. The question is how maintainable that is once things start to normalize and how far their growth will regress.
Ahh, yes. The peace of mind owning an index fund and not having to worry about Netflix subscribers is like a warm breeze on a summer afternoon.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 am
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm
jason2459 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm Growth is dead.
I sold some bonds and bought Vanguard U.S. Value Fund Investor Shares (VUVLX).
Don't you have a large holding of large cap growth actively managed fund?

One could just buy VTI, kick back and relax.
VTI isn't managed, I'm going through a managed fund stage. I'm still 90% VOO for my stock holdings. My "safe" investments are about 18% of my liquid net worth. More than enough to cover my deductible if my house and car went to Oz in a tornado or if my furnace gave up the ghost.

I have too much "safe" and it is hurting my returns; I'm a good Boglehead though and am curbing my enthusiasm. :|
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Forester wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:29 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:43 pm I am calling the Nasdaq top, it won't go above 10,600. Why? Just watched a bearish Rob Arnott interview :beer
Beginning to look like a good call; Elon Musk on the front page of Drudge is like the "Gold $1,900" headline from 2011, a kiss of death!
Ok. Keep those calls coming.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

Had to go to the second page of threads to find this post. Unbohlievable!

Initial jobless claims rose for the week ending July 18 for the first time since March. Let the panic begin. :twisted:
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Dollar index went below the March low, now back to 2018 levels. Gold meanwhile is going up approaching $1900. Losing purchasing power sucks
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Nasdaq down -2%. Where is the plunge protection team!? Someone call Powell and Kudlow
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Corsair wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm Nasdaq down -2%. Where is the plunge protection team!? Someone call Powell and Kudlow
It'll be back in the Hulkish green before you know it, this market is an unstoppable Dave-Portnoy-on-a-rocketship.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Corsair wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am Dollar index went below the March low, now back to 2018 levels. Gold meanwhile is going up approaching $1900. Losing purchasing power sucks
My GLD is worth so much I don’t want to sell just to buy food...
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Corsair wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm Nasdaq down -2%. Where is the plunge protection team!? Someone call Powell and Kudlow
Great day to be a bull, doesn't matter for bears because today's action isn't enough to matter.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

nigel_ht wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm
Corsair wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am Dollar index went below the March low, now back to 2018 levels. Gold meanwhile is going up approaching $1900. Losing purchasing power sucks
My GLD is worth so much I don’t want to sell just to buy food...
Up 22% YTD. Impressive.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

It's great for the market to go sideways for a little while. Nasdaq closed 2019 at 8,972, and as of 3:30p it's 10,459, up 16.57% YTD. Had it not for the drop today it would have been 18%+. I'm satisfied for a few days as long as it closes at +20% for the year :twisted:
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Ouch. https://www.reuters.com/article/moderna ... SL3N2EU3UL

Pretty sure I saw a thread where someone put a chunk of change on Moderna.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm Ouch. https://www.reuters.com/article/moderna ... SL3N2EU3UL

Eastcoaster212 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 pm Bought it a while ago, just figuring out how long to hold it. DO you think it will hit 90? Today it opened at 87. Holding out for the best price
Eastcoaster212 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:51 pm...

Personally every now and then i like to put in 10K into an individual stock that I think will hit big. Its fun and not completely about the money... It worked out well with tesla and thought it would with this as well.

The internets never forgets when one is wrong.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:29 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm Ouch. https://www.reuters.com/article/moderna ... SL3N2EU3UL

Eastcoaster212 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 pm Bought it a while ago, just figuring out how long to hold it. DO you think it will hit 90? Today it opened at 87. Holding out for the best price
Eastcoaster212 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:51 pm...

Personally every now and then i like to put in 10K into an individual stock that I think will hit big. Its fun and not completely about the money... It worked out well with tesla and thought it would with this as well.

The internets never forgets when one is wrong.
Hope this person sold when it crossed $90.

Today - $75.33
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Stef

Post by Stef »

China down -4.4%, Europe down -1.7%, SP500 Future down -0.4%.

Not looking great today.
Forester

Post by Forester »

Yet another day with value green and the S&P-Nasdaq in the red - really sad for the under-diversified. This will likely become a positive feedback loop, the more value gains, the more that the "great rotation" into value is for real, and the more nervous that Tesla & Facebook bagholders become.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Forester wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 am Yet another day with value green and the S&P-Nasdaq in the red - really sad for the under-diversified.
I'm trying something different. I went with both value and growth; paying professional stock pickers. I'm 86.4% VOO so it is mostly academic.

Tuesday seems so long ago. :(
J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:53 pm
I kept my TRBCX, I can't sell for another month. I sold some bonds to buy VUVLX.
So far both TRBCX and VUVLX have made the register ring. My VUVLX is up 2.76% in 8 days and my TRBCX is up 10.27% in 36 days. This market's tide is lifting all boats. :greedy
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Forester wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 am Yet another day with value green and the S&P-Nasdaq in the red - really sad for the under-diversified. This will likely become a positive feedback loop, the more value gains, the more that the "great rotation" into value is for real, and the more nervous that Tesla & Facebook bagholders become.
Sad for the Under-Diversified would make a nice debut album title for a finance-themed punk band.

I'm sorry, guys, but I'm happy the Nasdaq is underperforming the S&P. It's a little wearing on my soul regretting having not bought into QQQ, watching it outperform the Total Stock and S&P for so long.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:48 am
Forester wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 am Yet another day with value green and the S&P-Nasdaq in the red - really sad for the under-diversified. This will likely become a positive feedback loop, the more value gains, the more that the "great rotation" into value is for real, and the more nervous that Tesla & Facebook bagholders become.
Sad for the Under-Diversified would make a nice debut album title for a finance-themed punk band.

I'm sorry, guys, but I'm happy the Nasdaq is underperforming the S&P. It's a little wearing on my soul regretting having not bought into QQQ, watching it outperform the Total Stock and S&P for so long.
There’s been way too many “why not 100% QQQ” threads and replies recently, so it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising to me if it underperforms for a good while.

I also know nothing.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Gufomel wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 am

There’s been way too many “why not 100% QQQ” threads and replies recently, so it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising to me if it underperforms for a good while.

I also know nothing.
Nasdaq is recovering from today's lows like a beast.

I +also know nothing.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I also know nothing.
I am loving this commentary, exactly why I read this thread.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Okay, so I woke up from my nap, and...stocks are still down? Whaat?? Seriously, I'm just gonna go back to sleep.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

meh :|
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Owning the entire market (i.e. S&P 500) is not "under-diversified." Tilting away from it is what I would consider "over-concentrated."
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:22 am

I also know nothing.
I am loving this commentary, exactly why I read this thread.
Agreed. This is where I go when wallstreetbets is slow. :P
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:12 pm Owning the entire market (i.e. S&P 500) is not "under-diversified." Tilting away from it is what I would consider "over-concentrated."
I have 10 funds and 1 stock, not counting money markets, in four accounts. VOO the S&P 500, my biggest holding, finished lower, -.78% , than 7 other holdings.

All were down except for ultra short bonds unchanged and Verizon up .91%. The rest were down from -1.03% Vanguard value to -.52% T Row Price growth, both managed funds. I was down -.56% total counting money markets. I hate being down for the week end. :(
jtower68

Post by jtower68 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:12 pm Owning the entire market (i.e. S&P 500) is not "under-diversified." Tilting away from it is what I would consider "over-concentrated."
I have 10 funds and 1 stock, not counting money markets, in four accounts. VOO the S&P 500, my biggest holding, finished lower, -.78% , than 7 other holdings.

All were down except for ultra short bonds unchanged and Verizon up .91%. The rest were down from -1.03% Vanguard value to -.52% T Row Price growth, both managed funds. I was down -.56% total counting money markets. I hate being down for the week end. :(
Absolutely devastating way to end the week. Let's see if we can finally get that upswing next week.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

jtower68 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:57 pm

Absolutely devastating way to end the week. Let's see if we can finally get that upswing next week.
I assume this is tongue in cheek?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

I use Quicken to keep track of my accounts. It only updated my mutual funds not the stock or ETFs. I was only out -.48% for the day. There was a bit of a come back at the close it appears. :greedy
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:20 pm

I assume this is tongue in cheek?
Hopefully yes, but possibly no, which perhaps is the potential dark side of this thread, fostering an unhealthy short-term perspective?

Do you ever wonder how many people are entering the market believing the Dave Portnoy idea that "stocks only go up"?

How many people enter the market thinking stocks couldn't possibly go down because the Fed will come to the rescue, that they're essentially government protected?

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you get near?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

My only loser today, -.01%, was VTV. Vanguard Value ETF. Any year now it will turn around.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:41 pm My only loser today, -.01%, was VTV. Vanguard Value ETF. Any year now it will turn around.
Three out of my seven funny money stocks stank today.
L3 Harris Technologies -2.15%
Lockheed Martin -1.07%
Disney -1.11%

So you should be feeling rather chipper about that -.01%.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

One sizeable holding Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund -0.04% today.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:41 pm My only loser today, -.01%, was VTV. Vanguard Value ETF. Any year now it will turn around.
Lockheed Martin -1.07%
Disney -1.11%

My Verizon VZ was up .02%, lowest return of the day but because it was a return that is off topic. Is a loss a return? It doesn't seem like it.
I have a bunch of funds, several only 1% of my investable capital, just for fun. :D
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm
Lockheed Martin -1.07%
Disney -1.11%

My Verizon VZ was up .02%, lowest return of the day but because it was a return that is off topic. Is a loss a return? It doesn't seem like it.
I have a bunch of funds, several only 1% of my investable capital, just for fun. :D
Any especially fun ones you'd recommend?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm Any especially fun ones you'd recommend?
I only hold boring funds. I have two managed funds, a large growth and a small value. Even at 1% I think I have too much value. I have Vanguard's target date 2050 fund in my children's Roth IRA as a benchmark.

You should look at VWUSX*, it has been en fuego for over 5 years. It did have a massive melt down in August 2000 though. I have TRBCX, Larry the stock picker hasn't done as good as VWUSX lately but over the last 26 years he has beaten the benchmark by a bunch.

Larry the stock picker, Vanguard large growth compaired to the S&P 500

*I know nothing, nothing. That advice may put your portfolio in a free fall.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Stay strong, you lovely bears! (Bear case incoming) :happy
https://www.mauldineconomics.com/frontl ... -inflation
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:11 pm Stay strong, you lovely bears! (Bear case incoming) :happy
I like his warning about printing (!?) his letter, who is his intended audience?

I have no idea where the market is going. I doubt he does either.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:11 pm Stay strong, you lovely bears! (Bear case incoming) :happy
I drifted off trying to read that. Did it end with "buy the haystack and stay the course" ?
Sigz

Post by Sigz »

I can see the start to a red finish this week starting today....
Sigz

Post by Sigz »

I can see the start to a red finish this week starting today....
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm
nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am
J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am My cost basis for all purchases since and including June 24th is $92.335 for those who were wondering how I am doing on my little adventure.
Why post in the free-fall thread? You are going to jinx it.
Because we accumulators want the market to remain flat as long as possible. :D
No, no...we want a HUGE crash followed by a V shaped recovery.
I wouldn't personally mind the crash, but I wouldn't want a V-shaped recovery. I would want the market to crash and stay that way for a good 13 years or so then suddenly make up for lost time and duplicate its performance from the 1990s. 8-)
You youngsters stop trying to harm us seniors.

TravelforFun