U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheTimeLord

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by TheTimeLord »

nigel_ht wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 am
HomerJ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:06 pm
gvsucavie03 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:00 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 pm love to dig up some of those panic posts from a few months ago..might be good for a few laughs. I don't think the world ended.
Even with most of the world economy put to a grinding stand-still, we keep pushing forward.
You guys are scarring the heck out of me. But this is why I read the forum.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see another 50% crash in the next 3-6 months.

But I can't predict the future, and I don't need my stock money for another 15-20 years (this is by design), so I will stay the course.
The fact that the market could crash 50% in the next 3-6 months wouldn’t surprise you is different than normal.

Sure, folks say that all the time but usually it’s theoretical and assumes an unforeseen black swan.

Today, it’s seen as possible just based on where we are and not any new calamity.

Folks are really banking hard on QE and TINA sustaining the market. It may work out but boy is it speculative.
A 50% crash takes us below 1,600 and would very much surprise me. Probably anything north of 25% would surprise me at this point, but a correction with a touch of panic from people afraid to lose their recent gains seems a possibility in the summer.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 pm love to dig up some of those panic posts from a few months ago..might be good for a few laughs. I don't think the world ended.
Even with most of the world economy put to a grinding stand-still, we keep pushing forward.

But I can't predict the future, and I don't need my stock money for another 15-20 years (this is by design), so I will stay the course.
The fact that the market could crash 50% in the next 3-6 months wouldn’t surprise you is different than normal.
This is correct and incorrect....

Normally, I don't think about the odds of the market crashing 50%... It is not normal for me to be thinking that a crash seems likely.

But I'm ALWAYS prepared for a crash.

So, in that respect, absolutely nothing has changed for me.

I have posted on these boards, at least 300 times, over the past 10 years, to always be ready for a crash starting tomorrow.

Because it might.

Pick an AA that you can stick with even if there a crash tomorrow that takes 5-10 years to recover.

Because it might.

And then you don't have to worry about crashes any more.

Edit - It doesn't matter what I think or you think about the odds. Neither of us know. I would have thought (and, if you're honest, you too thought) the odds of us gaining 40% in 50 days and hitting 3100 again this fast would have been super low. Yet here we are.

You and I are not capable of calculating the odds correctly. There are too many economic variables, human emotions are involved, governments are involved, etc. The difference is you think you can calculate the odds somewhat, while I know I can't.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 am

This is correct and incorrect....

Normally, I don't think about the odds of the market crashing 50%... It is not normal for me to be thinking that a crash seems likely.

But I'm ALWAYS prepared for a crash.

So, in that respect, absolutely nothing has changed for me.

I have posted on these boards, at least 300 times, over the past 10 years, to always be ready for a crash starting tomorrow.

Because it might.

Pick an AA that you can stick with even if there a crash tomorrow that takes 5-10 years to recover.

Because it might.

And then you don't have to worry about crashes any more.

Edit - It doesn't matter what I think or you think about the odds. Neither of us know. I would have thought (and, if you're honest, you too thought) the odds of us gaining 40% in 50 days and hitting 3100 again this fast would have been super low. Yet here we are.

You and I are not capable of calculating the odds correctly. There are too many economic variables, human emotions are involved, governments are involved, etc. The difference is you think you can calculate the odds somewhat, while I know I can't.
Yes, I can’t calculate the odds other than very broadly like “likely”, “unlikely”, etc. Some unlikely events don’t hurt me, like a really quick recovery. But some unlikely events could hurt, like a deeper drop and a L shaped recovery.

And I’ll go as far as I don’t know how likely or unlikely something is even in very broad terms but more whether something is just more likely to happen than normal.

A deep drop and L shaped recovery seems sufficiently more likely than normal to trigger defensive action. I’m now at your 50/50 allocation.

It may be I stay here now because of my short time horizon. It may be I move back to something like 60/40 longer term. But I certainly have no aversion to going back to 70/30 should the market drop back to March levels and have changed my IPS accordingly to the new AA and rebalance strategy. I hate touching that thing and it had already been overdue for modification but it’s been a really nice run and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it is a good (and lazy) approach.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 am It's not a 'black swan' every time the market goes down. It goes down sometimes.
Yep. Infrequent occurrences do happen sometimes.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

aj76er wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm
stuper1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm aj76er,

I'm thinking about doing an over rebalance also. What is your criterion for switching back to 80/20? Just curious. Thanks.
Lots of ways to look at it, and much of it is personal.

Annual rebalance is my default. So it would be natural to assess in a year from now. If market is up, and valuations are up, then maybe take some off the table.

If our NW hits a certain number (e.g. X number of expenses) then I may go to a more conservative AA. This would naturally coincide with some market gains.

But maybe I’ll try on 85/15 for a while and decide that I like it. During the December dip in 2018 I over-balanced from 75/25 to 80/20 and stuck with it until now. I think the Target Date fund for my age has about 16% bonds so I’m pretty much in line with mainstream.

Honestly, at bond rates these days, equities seem like the better long-term play if time is on your side. Folks should be squeezing everything they have out of their risk tolerance and see if they can hold a wee bit more equities than they normally would.
Just to follow-up here ... my last rebalance (to maintain a 85/15) was on 3/24. Out of sheer luck this would turn out to be the bottom. I was prepared to move to a 90/10, but the market recovered. I have let things ride until today, during which I restored my allocation back to 80/20. I was thinking of holding out longer, but a 43% gain over 2.5 months ain't too shabby, and I felt that I should lock that in. Plus, my allocation "felt" a little off - I was thinking too much about it (i.e. I was not "SWAN"), so I returned to my previous allocation. :sharebeer
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
TNOA

Post by TNOA »

aj76er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm thinking about doing an over rebalance also. What is your criterion for switching back to 80/20? Just curious. Thanks.

Annual rebalance is my default. So it would be natural to assess in a year from now. If market is up, and valuations are up, then maybe take some off the table.

If our NW hits a certain number (e.g. X number of expenses) then I may go to a more conservative AA. This would naturally coincide with some market gains.

But maybe I’ll try on 85/15 for a while and decide that I like it. During the December dip in 2018 I over-balanced from 75/25 to 80/20 and stuck with it until now. I think the Target Date fund for my age has about 16% bonds so I’m pretty much in line with mainstream.

Honestly, at bond rates these days, equities seem like the better long-term play if time is on your side. Folks should be squeezing everything they have out of their risk tolerance and see if they can hold a wee bit more equities than they normally would.
Just to follow-up here ... my last rebalance (to maintain a 85/15) was on 3/24. Out of sheer luck this would turn out to be the bottom. I was prepared to move to a 90/10, but the market recovered. I have let things ride until today, during which I restored my allocation back to 80/20. I was thinking of holding out longer, but a 43% gain over 2.5 months ain't too shabby, and I felt that I should lock that in. Plus, my allocation "felt" a little off - I was thinking too much about it (i.e. I was not "SWAN"), so I returned to my previous allocation. :sharebeer
So, are you timing the market then? Trading it under the disguise of AA change on the bottoms and peaks?
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

TNOA wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:47 pm
aj76er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:42 pm

So, are you timing the market then? Trading it under the disguise of AA change on the bottoms and peaks?
Yup.

With the caveat that I also considered my time horizon, job security, and willingness to take risk which played into the decision. I was prepared to hold long term at 85/15 while the market recovered. And I’d say it pretty much has done that.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

It’s time to fire this thread up. After 2 down days, futures are down 1%.
pokebowl

Post by pokebowl »

Just gearing this thread up for today. Looks like global markets are down close to 3% and U.S. appears to be opening red as well. However given the last couple months, does 3% even count as "free fall" anymore? :mrgreen:

Feel its not a free fall until you hit those circuit breakers.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

pokebowl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:28 am Just gearing this thread up for today. Looks like global markets are down close to 3% and U.S. appears to be opening red as well. However given the last couple months, does 3% even count as "free fall" anymore? :mrgreen:

I like the current headline on MarketWatch.

Equities are not In “free fall”. Rather, a “reversal from rally”.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
pokebowl

Post by pokebowl »

Stinky wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 am
Similar to space rocket launch failures being categorized as "Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly Events". :twisted:
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

pokebowl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:28 am Just gearing this thread up for today. Looks like global markets are down close to 3% and U.S. appears to be opening red as well. However given the last couple months, does 3% even count as "free fall" anymore? :mrgreen:

For the last 2 days I was trying to convince myself to switch from 72/25 to 65/35.

It looks like I'm too late now. Might as well stick with what I've got and keep rebalancing as needed.
Sigz

Post by Sigz »

Well, I guess stocks will be a bit more 'on sale' tomorrow when I fund my automatic pretax 457 account on payday!
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

pokebowl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 am
Stinky wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 am
Similar to space rocket launch failures being categorized as "Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly Events". :twisted:
Unintended Air/Ground Interaction...
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Personally, I think today is a great day for the Bulls, and I have tried to take advantage. :beer
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Sigz wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:07 am Well, I guess stocks will be a bit more 'on sale' tomorrow when I fund my automatic pretax 457 account on payday!
My automatic contributions should hit today or tomorrow. My luck, it will be tomorrow, and the market will be up again.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am Personally, I think today is a great day for the Bulls, and I have tried to take advantage. :beer
You and me both. It’s a great buying day. Check the couch for extra loose change.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Candor

Post by Candor »

It's about time this thread got some love. A market pull back is a good thing in my mind.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I saw Mnuchin was out this morning trying to pump stocks.

My short options are up 84% right now (SPXS July calls), bought two days ago with "fun" money I was willing to lose. Should have bought more oh well :moneybag
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Corsair wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 am I saw Mnuchin was out this morning trying to pump stocks.

My short options are up 84% right now, bought two days ago with "fun" money I was willing to lose. Should have bought more oh well :moneybag
What exactly did you purchase? Always interested in hearing where people are playing. I used today to close some positions and roll some.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:49 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am Personally, I think today is a great day for the Bulls, and I have tried to take advantage. :beer
You and me both. It’s a great buying day. Check the couch for extra loose change.
Add me to the list. Just placed a purchase order.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Where all this “ can I go all in or DCA “ gone??? :P
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Really dumb question but here goes...

If I purchase VTSAX today, debited from my bank account (says it takes 2 days), do I get today's price? Or whenever it actually processes?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 am
Corsair wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 am I saw Mnuchin was out this morning trying to pump stocks.

My short options are up 84% right now, bought two days ago with "fun" money I was willing to lose. Should have bought more oh well :moneybag
What exactly did you purchase? Always interested in hearing where people are playing. I used today to close some positions and roll some.
Had bought SPXS calls expiring 7/17 with a $10 strike. They were under $0.25 when I bought them two days ago (now the ask is $0.50). Since its -3X leverage on the S&P more risk but its "fun" money :mrgreen:
Last edited by Corsair on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:10 am
Anyone want to take a guess at the panic low for the day? I will say 3,076 but hoping for 3,060.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I bought VOO with left out $9 in my account. I waited for so long to made this buy :)
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Corsair wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 am

Had bought SPXS calls expiring 7/17 with a $10 strike. They were under $0.25 when I bought them two days ago (now the ask is $0.50). Since its 3X leverage on the S&P more risk but its "fun" money :mrgreen:
I closed some covered call positions that Monday looked like the shares would be assigned for sure, but today was able to close them at around 5% and 25% of what I had sold the calls for.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

JD2775 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am Really dumb question but here goes...

If I purchase VTSAX today, debited from my bank account (says it takes 2 days), do I get today's price? Or whenever it actually processes?
Googled this and got my answer. Just purchased some VTSAX :sharebeer
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Glad I finally have some bonds for rebalancing at some point.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

JD2775 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 am

Was the answer that you get the close price for today if you transact before 4pm EST?

I've read some people wait till about 3:30 or 3:45 to have better view of the price they'll get.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Unless your cash restricted, the broker usually fronts you the money.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

JLJL wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:09 am

Was the answer that you get the close price for today if you transact before 4pm EST?

I've read some people wait till about 3:30 or 3:45 to have better view of the price they'll get.
Yep that was the answer. I’m heading out today so not going to be able to check regularly, that’s why I just wanted to get it over with
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

And the sideways since January 2018 continues....
Last edited by lostdog on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

JLJL wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:09 am
It's pretty hard not to. There are certainly instances where you wouldn't care, especially if you are paycheck investing. A day like today certainly gets your attention more.
A fool and your money are soon partners
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

lostdog wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 am The sideways since January 2018 continues....
I won't be surprised if we're still sideways 5 or 10 years from now.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

No worries, folks! I read a thread on here somewhere saying that the bottom was behind us. This must just be a little turbulence. Keep those seat belts fastened while this thing is in motion.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 am No worries, folks! I read a thread on here somewhere saying that the bottom was behind us. This must just be a little turbulence. Keep those seat belts fastened while this thing is in motion.
Doom&Gloom is back!

Circuit breakers: here we go!

Target: Dow dropping 10% by 4 PM ET.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 am
calvin+hobbes wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:10 am
Anyone want to take a guess at the panic low for the day? I will say 3,076 but hoping for 3,060.
$306 buy for SPY triggered. Not the bottom but good enough from me ($13 better than yesterday's close). :D
Maybe I should put in a $302?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Finally the market is doing something that makes sense!
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Woah blood bath!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:48 am Finally the market is doing something that makes sense!
Right now I could build a case for stocks going either direction. To me there is no clear logic path in the short term, which is probably the best state for long term investors.
tk1978

Post by tk1978 »

It's very hard to take the stock market seriously these days (I'm a hard-core buy and holder just for the record).
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Any bets on when the fed money copter drops back in? I’m not sure whether to pose a bet in terms of days or hours.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 am
Sigz wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:07 am Well, I guess stocks will be a bit more 'on sale' tomorrow when I fund my automatic pretax 457 account on payday!
My automatic contributions should hit today or tomorrow. My luck, it will be tomorrow, and the market will be up again.
That always happens with my 401k contributions :annoyed .
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am $306 buy for SPY triggered. Not the bottom but good enough from me ($13 better than yesterday's close).
Why SPY instead of VOO? More liquid?
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

If you were a FOMO person as of last week, fear not, it appears you now have another chance to right those wrongs this week!

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:58 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am $306 buy for SPY triggered. Not the bottom but good enough from me ($13 better than yesterday's close).
Why SPY instead of VOO? More liquid?
Better liquidity in the options market. I have been dabbling in writing covered calls recently to try to learn about options on a basic level.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Gufomel wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am Any bets on when the fed money copter drops back in? I’m not sure whether to pose a bet in terms of days or hours.
What are you proposing that they will do?
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

TheDDC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 am If you were a FOMO person as of last week, fear not, it appears you now have another chance to right those wrongs this week!

-TheDDC
I am guessing anyone who had FOMO last week is now full of regret at not selling this week.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Wth is happening in the markets lol.

Is this a game? To test my risk tolerance?