U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TwoIdenticalIndexes

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by TwoIdenticalIndexes »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:55 pm
Irisheyes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm

I've moved some money into stocks today from a large pile of dry powder I've been sitting on for a while, but will wait for a much larger drop to do anything substantive.
I always find these sort of moves interesting consider the market was at this level in the very recent past; why didn't you invest it then?
Probably loss aversion.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

‘Nice plan. For the future you may want to consider ITOT, now that all brokerages allow free ETF trading. Maintains Total Market exposure while following a different index so no wash sale risk IMHO. Who knows, maybe you'll get a chance to harvest both your VTI and your new VV in to ITOT within the next 30 days’—

That’s exactly is the plan. Normally I alternate between VTI and VOO. There is a chance I will be able to TLH both and that is why I bought VV today.
Hub

Post by Hub »

Greg in Idaho wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Irisheyes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm I've moved some money into stocks today from a large pile of dry powder I've been sitting on for a while, but will wait for a much larger drop to do anything substantive.
I always find these sort of moves interesting consider the market was at this level in the very recent past; why didn't you invest it then?
Down to December 2019 levels...Egads!
I do it with my lump sum cash. Annually I go into Roths, HSAs and a Solo401k all with single lump sums at tax time and just put them in their respective accounts. Then I wait to invest on days / weeks when the market has gone down. Not saying it's a good plan, but even if we're only back down to December 2019 levels, I've been disliking having not already invested the money the whole time.

Part of my psychology is that I don't have any other large piles of cash sitting around so this gives me a satisfying amount of dry powder if ever another real pull-back occurs.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

The virus is not going to last forever. Why are investors selling? Are they all really just trying to time the market? Then if that’s the case I think they are doing poor job. They are selling low instead of buying low...
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Blue456 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm The virus is not going to last forever. Why are investors selling? Are they all really just trying to time the market? Then if that’s the case I think they are doing poor job. They are selling low instead of buying low...
Says who? Some articles read have said it could be like the seasonal flu, showing up every year.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Don't look now, but the buyers appear to be waking from their slumbers.....
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

A reminder of Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom in "Common Sense on Mutual Funds":

"Stay the course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
theorist

Re: Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom

Post by theorist »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:06 pm Bogleheads:

A reminder of Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom in "Common Sense on Mutual Funds":

"Stay the course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks! Good to see this in this thread and at this time.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

rkhusky wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:02 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:19 pm The market is sick.
Sick as in very good? Or sick as in ill?
We'll see what happens. :happy
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

When the market is up people only post about the eventual fall. When the market falls people only post about how far it’s going to fall.

Makes me wonder why some people invest at all :moneybag :twisted:
squirm

Post by squirm »

Blue456 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm The virus is not going to last forever. Why are investors selling? Are they all really just trying to time the market? Then if that’s the case I think they are doing poor job. They are selling low instead of buying low...
Selling at Dow around 30,000 is selling low? It wasn't long ago the Dow was half this.
Drolen

Post by Drolen »

I just scrounged up $1500 to dump into VTSAX. I expect a full recovery in the next 27 minutes :)
squirm

Post by squirm »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm When the market is up people only post about the eventual fall. When the market falls people only post about how far it’s going to fall.

Stocks usually fall faster then they climb. There's also the adage that says, the higher they climb the harder it will fall.

You gotta admit it's been one hell of a bull market. Millennials haven't even seen what a bear can do to a portfolio.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Drolen wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 pm I just scrounged up $1500 to dump into VTSAX. I expect a full recovery in the next 27 minutes :)
Maybe we'll get an ugly close.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

squirm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:40 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm When the market is up people only post about the eventual fall. When the market falls people only post about how far it’s going to fall.

Stocks usually fall faster then they climb. There's also the adage that says, the higher they climb the harder it will fall.

You gotta admit it's been one hell of a bull market. Millennials haven't even seen what a bear can do to a portfolio.
Not really that great of a bull market

1980-1999 saw a 20 year period of SP500 returns of 18% CAGR.

This bull market sucks compared to that—11 years at only 14.7%
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Au contraire, many of them got hit just as they were starting to invest, if they started a 401k soon after college. As a Gen X who had her first retirement account in the late 90s, I can tell you that it really stings to get slapped in the face right out of the gate. For many, it probably causes a "why bother" philosophy, which may be why we see so many reports insisting that millennials are behind other generations at the same age. Others decided that half of something was still better than nothing, which is prolly how we ended up with the FIRE movement.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Now use inflation adjusted numbers.
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:08 pm
flyingaway wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:03 pm Maybe I should actually think about writing my first will.
If the virus becomes pandemic, the first thing to worry about is to stay alive.
The mortality rate has been 2%. I can't bring myself to say "only" 2%. And for flu it's in the ballpark of 5 per 100,000 so this is hundreds of times more deadly than flu, or at least the flu we are used to. 2% is about the same as the mortality rate for flu in 1918. Because of uncertainties about everything 2% that may not be a trustworthy figure. And, of course, that might be 2% with "proper" current medical treatment, and at some point the pandemic might overwhelm medical facilities.

But still... you know, if you're reasonably healthy, this isn't like Ebola. (As far as we know. Yet.)
Meh. I practice as a physician. The AMA sent out a summary about it a few days ago. (First of all, from me, we have no idea about numbers. Our data come from government officials in a dictatorship so take them with a grain of salt.) It noted that the number of people infected with flu, hospitalized with flu, and died from flu are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater than this. And we have the same flu numbers give or take, every year in living memory and before. Don't forget EVERY year experts tell us there's a new virus that is going to kill 100 million and so far it has never panned out. One day it will. But the experts have been wrong every year so far.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:57 pm
flyingaway wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:03 pm Maybe I should actually think about writing my first will.
The mortality rate has been 2%. I can't bring myself to say "only" 2%. And for flu it's in the ballpark of 5 per 100,000 so this is hundreds of times more deadly than flu, or at least the flu we are used to. 2% is about the same as the mortality rate for flu in 1918. Because of uncertainties about everything 2% that may not be a trustworthy figure. And, of course, that might be 2% with "proper" current medical treatment, and at some point the pandemic might overwhelm medical facilities.

But still... you know, if you're reasonably healthy, this isn't like Ebola. (As far as we know. Yet.)
Meh. I practice as a physician. The AMA sent out a summary about it a few days ago. (First of all, from me, we have no idea about numbers. Our data come from government officials in a dictatorship so take them with a grain of salt.) It noted that the number of people infected with flu, hospitalized with flu, and died from flu are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater than this. And we have the same flu numbers give or take, every year in living memory and before. Don't forget EVERY year experts tell us there's a new virus that is going to kill 100 million and so far it has never panned out. One day it will. But the experts have been wrong every year so far.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

guyinlaw wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm According to WHO we are still in the brink of a pandemic. There is a high risk of that, but we are not there yet.

Experts have been saying for weeks that it's a matter of time when this spreads outside of China. I hope the human cost is low and things get better in the coming months.
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

and...

As of February 4, 2020, more than 20 000 cases of 2019-nCoV have been reported, 98.9% of them in China, and the outbreak is linked to more than 400 deaths.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

A bona fide Livesoft RBD™
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

You have a funny idea of low. Maybe 20 years from now I'll agree with you.
A fool and your money are soon partners
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

retiringwhen wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 pm Don't look now, but the buyers appear to be waking from their slumbers.....
Looks like they went home early.
merely an interested amateur
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:57 pm

I think the issue is that it appears that not only is the incubation period unusually long (several weeks), but asymptomatic patients are contagious. If those are true, it becomes quite a different beast than run of the mill influenza.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Here we go! I hope y'all stocked up on gold, milk, and whiskey:

"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

sailaway wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Now use inflation adjusted numbers.
Sure:

1980 - 1999, inflation adjusted: 13.6%
Best 11 year period in that time frame, 1989 - 1999, was 15.91% inflation adjusted

2009-2019: 12.6% inflation adjusted return
2000-2019: 3.79% inflation adjusted return

1% increase in return is life changing.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

firebirdparts wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:04 pm
I agree.

While I understand the generally negative view of market timing around here, the idea that investors have to sell at the peak and buy back in at the trough in order to be successful in their efforts is clearly wrong. They only need to buy back in at a lower price than which they sold in order to be ahead vs. buy-and-hold (i.e. they don't need to be 'right twice'), though this is obviously far easier said than done.

5% off of market highs is not 'low'.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
CULater

Post by CULater »

If it's not contained, estimates are that 90 million people will contract the virus in the U.S. and 2 million of those will die. Now, that gets your attention, doesn't it? Buy funeral home stocks.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

I'm going on a walk,shoot a few hoops and make dinner.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

lgs88 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:05 pm
retiringwhen wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 pm Don't look now, but the buyers appear to be waking from their slumbers.....
Looks like they went home early.
yup, I can't even call the next 30 minutes, that is why I don't market time :-)
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

oldzey wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 pm A bona fide Livesoft RBD™
Sorry, but it was a Monday.
Forester

Post by Forester »

VOO -3.34%

SPLV -1.70%
USMV -2.0%

:beer

Most interestingly IJS (scv) -2.91% & EEM only -3.74%
Last edited by Forester on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

The S&P 500 is back where it was on January 31. Oh the horror!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:57 pm Meh. I practice as a physician. The AMA sent out a summary about it a few days ago. (First of all, from me, we have no idea about numbers. Our data come from government officials in a dictatorship so take them with a grain of salt.) It noted that the number of people infected with flu, hospitalized with flu, and died from flu are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater than this. And we have the same flu numbers give or take, every year in living memory and before. Don't forget EVERY year experts tell us there's a new virus that is going to kill 100 million and so far it has never panned out. One day it will. But the experts have been wrong every year so far.
TMK, that's only the case if you believe the Chinese government's numbers, which it seems very few do, as you note.

There were two flu pandemics in the 1950s and 1960s that killed three million people in total, let alone the Spanish flu of 1918. So the precedent of influenza viruses killing millions is well established even in the 'modern' era. I really hope that the Coronavirus won't have a similar effect, but we just don't know yet.
sketchy9 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:06 pmI think the issue is that it appears that not only is the incubation period unusually long (several weeks), but asymptomatic patients are contagious. If those are true, it becomes quite a different beast than run of the mill influenza.
That is a real problem. Apparently people can be asymptomatic but still act as vectors for over 14 days.

And the issue that developed nations with excellent healthcare infrastructure seems to be facing now is not their own populations getting sick; it's the impact the virus will have on global trade, the populations of the developing nations that produce a large portion of the world's goods (ironically including 70% or more of the world's medications), and the behaviors of their populations in response to the perceived direct and indirect threats of the virus.

This doesn't seem likely to me to blow over in a week or two.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
staustin

Post by staustin »

the black swan is approaching.....
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Back of napkin math: If you were 30x last Friday with 100% of your assets invested in the S&P 500 you would now be a little less than 29x at the close today.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

I've moved some money into stocks today from a large pile of dry powder I've been sitting on for a while, but will wait for a much larger drop to do anything substantive.
Because I am not a good boglehead :)

I have a ton of cash, taken out of the market incrementally as it went up over the last couple years. I will put it back in incrementally as the market goes down, if it continues to do so.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10 pm
I agree.

While I understand the generally negative view of market timing around here, the idea that investors have to sell at the peak and buy back in at the trough in order to be successful in their efforts is clearly wrong. They only need to buy back in at a lower price than which they sold in order to be ahead vs. buy-and-hold (i.e. they don't need to be 'right twice'), though this is obviously far easier said than done.

Curious, do you market time? (get in & out) Or do you just stay invested in your AA and re-balance accordingly?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
X528

Post by X528 »

It's time to back up the truck! I love buying on big dips like this.

I made a big, fat honkin' contribution today.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

BW1985 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm
I agree.

Curious, do you market time? (get in & out) Or do you just stay invested in your AA and re-balance accordingly?
My strategy is laid out here.

Rebalancing according to a fixed AA is not market timing.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm
BW1985 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm
I agree.

My strategy is laid out here.

Rebalancing according to a fixed AA is not market timing.
No I know that, that's what I meant by 'or'. Thanks
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

X528 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:35 pm It's time to back up the truck! I love buying on big dips like this.

I am curious...the S&P 500 is now at the same level it was just a bit over 3 weeks ago on January 31, did you back up the truck then?
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Irisheyes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Because I am not a good boglehead :)

I have a ton of cash, taken out of the market incrementally as it went up over the last couple years. I will put it back in incrementally as the market goes down, if it continues to do so.
I guess only time will tell if the current opportunity-loss turns in to a future opportunity-gain.
hagridshut

Post by hagridshut »

Made my first IRA contributions of the year today. A couple hundred bucks into stock index funds, but I'll keep buying all the way to the bottom of this. If people want to panic, I will gladly take their shares for future profit :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, my 401(k) is still in rollover IRA limbo after more than 2 weeks :annoyed I confirmed that it was cashed out and in processing for transfer to Vanguard, but I am getting impatient :annoyed
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio
BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer »

If I sold (probably 50% basis on average) my tax impact would be significant. Would need ~5% market drop just to break even.
CashFlo

Post by CashFlo »

Hold on a sec. Suze Orman is on CNBC right now. I may have to rethink everything... :wink:
thelateinvestor43

Post by thelateinvestor43 »

Making myself popcorn and crackin open an IPA .... this is exciting! :D
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

X528 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:35 pm It's time to back up the truck! I love buying on big dips like this.

Honk, honk!
thelateinvestor43

Post by thelateinvestor43 »

3% 's a big dip? I'm waiting for 35-50%!
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

Big dip? 3.5% down is nothing.