U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ImUrHuckleberry

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 pm market reaction is muted.. in Feb 2018 the Dow was falling 1500 points in a single day and here we are fretting about 350 points? c'mon now.. i'll notice if it falls 1000+ points in a day otherwise it isn't news.
Obviously 350 points is nothing, but too me this feels like it's building toward a giant crash. Of course, I've thought that half a dozen times before and been wrong!
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:37 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:24 pm
csmath wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:15 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 pm When do we stop talking about all this abstract stuff and resume talking about stock futures?
S&P500 Futures down 1.36% in first 15 minutes of trading.
Should I sell some of my stock market index?! :shock:
Short answer no.

Longer answer? Would you sell your house if someone told yi it was worth 1.5% less than yesterday?

Boglish answer: if you're jumpy about a couple percent then you have too much of your portfolio in equities.
Good points.

From the fall of '07 til early '09 -- when the stock market seemed to have no bottom -- and I hung tight, I kept telling myself "I still own the assets (amount of shares). People don't think they're worth that much right now but they'll go back up to a fair value at some point."

And I remember telling my buddy something like: If you owned a rental complex assessed at $1M, but there was a real estate crash and the assessed value went way down, you would still own it. And the rental income wouldn't necessarily change any. And the fair value of the asset would come back at some point.

But if you sell on the way down, then you locked in your loss.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:41 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:37 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:24 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 pm When do we stop talking about all this abstract stuff and resume talking about stock futures?
Should I sell some of my stock market index?! :shock:
Short answer no.

Longer answer? Would you sell your house if someone told yi it was worth 1.5% less than yesterday?

Boglish answer: if you're jumpy about a couple percent then you have too much of your portfolio in equities.
Yeah, but I think this time is different. What if it keeps going down and down and down all week?! Yikes! I'm not worried about a couple percent. I'm worried about 20, 30 or 50%.
It might go down 50%. This is ALWAYS true of any money you have invested in the stock market. Nothing is different. It's always a possibility. Every single day.

But then it will probably come back, and go to new heights a few years later.

If you need the money soon, it shouldn't be in the stock market. Because a 50% drop could happen at anytime. Even tomorrow.

If you don't need the money for 10+ years, don't worry about a temporary 50% drop tomorrow.

The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes. Read that again.

You don't have to try to avoid the crashes to get rich in the stock market. And it's HARD to avoid the crashes... If you guess wrong, you lose money. And it's easy to guess wrong.

So don't try. Put your long-term money in the market, and get the long-term returns, and stop worrying about the short-term.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
ImUrHuckleberry

I made it through 2000 and 2008 with somewhere around an 85:15 AA without even breaking a sweat. I'm finding it is more difficult not to worry as I get older.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I hate this stage in a drop. Not down enough to make me want to buy, but down enough to stirs emotions.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:10 pm I made it through 2000 and 2008 with somewhere around an 85:15 AA without even breaking a sweat. I'm finding it is more difficult not to worry as I get older.
Then it's time to shift your AA! Slowly, I hope. :shock:

To "The late investor": The easy way around this is to not come back here, don't listen, watch, or read any financial news, and don't check your PF value for a month or so. :wink:
DB2

Post by DB2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:17 pm I hate this stage in a drop. Not down enough to make me want to buy, but down enough to stirs emotions.
It's is different this time when you consider the possible election outcome, virus, and late in the business cycle. Perfect storm brewing?
ImUrHuckleberry

Bluce wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 pm
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:10 pm I made it through 2000 and 2008 with somewhere around an 85:15 AA without even breaking a sweat. I'm finding it is more difficult not to worry as I get older.

To "The late investor": The easy way around this is to not come back here, don't listen, watch, or read any financial news, and don't check your PF value for a month or so. :wink:
We changed out AA several years ago. But I did push a little more towards bonds recently and totally because of this virus thing, which isn't something I thought I would ever do and it was not part of the investment plan.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

DB2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:17 pm I hate this stage in a drop. Not down enough to make me want to buy, but down enough to stirs emotions.
It's is different this time when you consider the possible election outcome, virus, and late in the business cycle. Perfect storm brewing?
It's always different. Every time. Spend a day and read this whole thread and you'll see the whole range of emotions over time. Nobody knows nothing. But if you're nervous with the money you have invested you need to revisit your iPS and AA. The idea of both of those is riding the ups and downs and not making emotional changes.
tigers174

Post by tigers174 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm Some not so good Bogle heads are in upro which will decline by 4.5% tomorrow
That's when you invest in SPXS or TECS.
DB2

Post by DB2 »

tigers174 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm Some not so good Bogle heads are in upro which will decline by 4.5% tomorrow
That's when you invest in SPXS or TECS.
It should be interesting to see what TMF does for the upside.
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

SP500 futures down 1.25%.

It will be a tough week.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

**ding**ding** (overhead chime sound)

Fasten your seatbelts - turbulence ahead.

I have a VERY fat emergency fund (3X annual). Is anyone besides me thinking about buying in IF the market falls 10-15% this week? I know... "don't time the market".... I just hate to miss a good sale. :D Wow - as I type this, I'm reminded of my wife's shopping and loving a good sale :oops:
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

170 new cases in South Korea... let's see what happens tomorrow :) I still think this is a small blip.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 pm **ding**ding** (overhead chime sound)

I have a VERY fat emergency fund (3X annual). Is anyone besides me thinking about buying in IF the market falls 10-15% this week? I know... "don't time the market".... I just hate to miss a good sale. :D Wow - as I type this, I'm reminded of my wife's shopping and loving a good sale :oops:
Emergency Fund or Fixed Income Allocation?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 pm **ding**ding** (overhead chime sound)

Well, it's outside my 70/30 portfolio - Mostly in CDs/high yield savings account. I think of it as my emergency fund - although, I haven't had an "emergency" in many years.
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

If it drops 15% this week, that's not a sale...that's a falling knife. Maybe it hits ground at that point or maybe not, but that's a very steep quick drop.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:00 am Sometimes more than six figure debt.
Indeed! I have seven figures of both net worth AND debt, but it's the barely-six-figures amount that I have in the publicly traded markets that I worry about. Go figure. :oops:
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Well, it's outside my 70/30 portfolio - Mostly in CDs/high yield savings account. I think of it as my emergency fund - although, I haven't had an "emergency" in many years.
Tomorrow might be the day. :oops:

You better crack that sucker open and spend it all on gold, bread, milk, batteries, and ammo. Oh, and don't forget face masks.

Trust me on this. :sharebeer
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

Oh jeez!
Perfect storm brewing, end of the world virus.

Am I watching CNBC.

Pass me another cold Bud Light.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Bluce wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Tomorrow might be the day. :oops:

You better crack that sucker open and spend it all on gold, bread, milk, batteries, and ammo. Oh, and don't forget face masks.

Trust me on this. :sharebeer
Got plenty of that at the cabin :beer
thelateinvestor43

Post by thelateinvestor43 »

Bluce wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Yeah, but then when I finally DO look I'll drop from a heart attack seeing PF value -> $1000!! .... hey , but then I won't have any worries anymore! :)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Can you imagine the splat this market will make if China enters recession? Well, assuming it hasn't already.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:55 pm Can you imagine the splat this market will make if China enters recession? Well, assuming it hasn't already.
I think that's a foregone conclusion at this point.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Theoretical wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:36 pm

If it drops 15% this week, that's not a sale...that's a falling knife. Maybe it hits ground at that point or maybe not, but that's a very steep quick drop.
Good point. I really don't recall how fast the market has fallen in very short periods of time (well, recently, I guess there was December of 2018). It'd certainly be a bummer if I were to "buy in" (with some emergency fund money) with the market down 15% AND then have it fall an additional 15%....but, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Before "discovering" this site, I'd certainly done that kind of buying before (bought in on the way to new, temporary lows).
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Looks like NASDAQ Futures down roughly 2%.
thelateinvestor43

Ok guys. I'm leaving my 45% (for me that's only $19k) in equities and doing nothing. This will be my first attempt at "ignore the noise". A little nervous, but not too much. I'm more worried about them getting this thing under control!
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm
Theoretical wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Good point. I really don't recall how fast the market has fallen in very short periods of time (well, recently, I guess there was December of 2018). It'd certainly be a bummer if I were to "buy in" (with some emergency fund money) with the market down 15% AND then have it fall an additional 15%....but, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Before "discovering" this site, I'd certainly done that kind of buying before (bought in on the way to new, temporary lows).
As I recall in '08, and I think this is typical in all bears, the dang thing can drop several % in a day, then again the next day, then take a breather or even go up some the next day or two (and you think it's over with), then the bottom falls out again the next few days. You never know where it's finally going to stop, sometimes thinking it will go to zero.

And it did this for a year and a half, although (as I recall) the worst was several months in the fall of '08 when Leahman and Bear Stearns went up in smoke. I was in the market in 2000 also, but TBH I don't remember the details. And maybe I don't have '08 right, but that's what I remember.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I hear some people do the Variable Withdrawal Rate thing. So how far does the market need to fall before you adjust the amount you withdraw?
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:16 pm Ok guys. I'm leaving my 45% (for me that's only $19k) in equities and doing nothing. This will be my first attempt at "ignore the noise". A little nervous, but not too much. I'm more worried about them getting this thing under control!
A very good point. The fact is... there are a LOT of folks/families suffering.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Since when do we use emergency fund money to buy stocks on sale? That's not an emergency fund. It's a cash allocation.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:22 pm I hear some people do the Variable Withdrawal Rate thing. So how far does the market need to fall before you adjust the amount you withdraw?
I think a lot of people do some form of variable spending depending on how rich they feel, including those who still have jobs. This would be a contributing factor to economic cycles.
thelateinvestor43

I'm gonna hibernate for about 2 months in my man cave..... wake me up when it's over guys! :sharebeer
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:47 pm I'm gonna hibernate for about 2 months in my man cave..... wake me up when it's over guys! :sharebeer
Sounds like a plan. :D

SnP futures down 1.42%. :shock:
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Bluce wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:51 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:47 pm I'm gonna hibernate for about 2 months in my man cave..... wake me up when it's over guys! :sharebeer
Sounds like a plan. :D

SnP futures down 1.42%. :shock:
After the weekend's news regarding the Coronavirus, I was thinking that the market would be down between 2-2.5%.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

csmath,
I’m not trying to pick on you, but what are we supposed to do with this information? Why is it important?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

everyone knew this pull back was coming, there is no surprise here, the Coronavirus is just an excuse for some consolidation, 5-6% or up to 10% which has not even happened so far... obviously consolidation cycles have to come from time to time, it's rare that it goes up in a straight line.

I seriously doubt this is the start of some bear market crash or anything of that sort.
ImUrHuckleberry

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 pm
csmath,
I’m not trying to pick on you, but what are we supposed to do with this information? Why is it important?
This is exactly the thread for this information. It's about roughly of the same value as 'futures up 1.36%" that nobody complains about in the "soaring' thread.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Staying the course. If tomorrow is a RBD, then it's time to TLH
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:11 pm everyone knew this pull back was coming, there is no surprise here, the Coronavirus is just an excuse for some consolidation, 5-6% or up to 10% which has not even happened so far... obviously consolidation cycles have to come from time to time, it's rare that it goes up in a straight line.

I seriously doubt this is the start of some bear market crash or anything of that sort.
Yup. It doesn't go up *OR* down in a straight line, and neither do interest rates.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

kacang wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:24 pm Staying the course. If tomorrow is a RBD, then it's time to TLH
What do you have to TLH?
kacang

Post by kacang »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:31 pm What do you have to TLH?
If there's a significant drop , just some VTSAX, not as much as Dec 2018 but any amount is welcomed. We are still using the loss carryover towards 2019 tax filing.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

If we get a 20% drop, you will have an emergency -- stocks are on sale and you have money.

The best time to buy is when there is blood running in the street.
thelateinvestor43

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:01 am

If we get a 20% drop, you will have an emergency -- stocks are on sale and you have money.

The best time to buy is when there is blood running in the street.
Good thing I got another $30k in my savings account!
vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 »

thelateinvestor43 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 am

Good thing I got another $30k in my savings account!
based on some of your posts from this thread you will not have the nerve to sink the 30K into equities when there's blood on the street.
csmath

Post by csmath »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 pm
csmath,
You are not supposed to do anything with it at all. Did you see the quote I was responding to?
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:18 pm This is exactly the thread for this information. It's about roughly of the same value as 'futures up 1.36%" that nobody complains about in the "soaring' thread.
^this
Stef

Post by Stef »

Damn. Why does this always happen right after you invested a lump sum?
anoop

Post by anoop »

Stef wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 am Damn. Why does this always happen right after you invested a lump sum?
To test if you picked the right asset allocation for your temperament. Don't worry it will go up soon enough, possibly even by CoB Monday.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Stef wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 am Damn. Why does this always happen right after you invested a lump sum?
Ain’t happened to ME. I’m just sitting here inhaling the sweet smells of night-blooming jasmine. Got no lump sums to invest and wouldn’t if I could.
thelateinvestor43

-2.20% 3:49am