U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Bastiat

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Bastiat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:23 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:26 pm
Will do good wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:11 pm
Most of us know something like this will have to happen, just don't know for how low or how long.
If you set your AA to your comfort zone, this shouldn't be too much of a worry.
Good luck to all and until the next long bull!
Looks like we are what, 65 days into this one? How does that compare to all post WWII bears (should have the mid-2015 to mid-2016 bear in there as well, but c'est la vie)?
The high close was on September 20, closer to 90 days ago.

And we aren't even down 15% yet.

Yawn.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 pm

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 pm

ginmqi wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 pm
So....when are you guys "backing up the truck" ? :D

Maybe if it continues to decline 1-2% a day this entire week?...
I drive a Mustang. I can't even haul two passengers.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 pm
ginmqi wrote:

I drive a Mustang. I can't even haul two passengers.
HUH??? Mine can hold four.
My last buy is up 0.13%, I'm good at this.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 am

Future's starting to move downward after some statements across the world, with Asian markets slumping. If this keeps up I may throw a few bills; was waiting for January to max the Roth but I believe I am under-budget for then past few months. Time to pay in excel :twisted: .

Crushtheturtle

Post by Crushtheturtle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am

CNBC allowed one of their respected in-house experts to share his thoughts on the requisite steps to reverse the current unpleasantness:
"This is genuine bear market behavior," Cramer argued. "It needs to stop going down before we can get a sustained rebound in the averages."
Now who can argue with that!
Beware the advice of successful people; they do not seek company. - Scott Adams

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 am

Crushtheturtle wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am
CNBC allowed one of their respected in-house experts to share his thoughts on the requisite steps to reverse the current unpleasantness:
"This is genuine bear market behavior," Cramer argued. "It needs to stop going down before we can get a sustained rebound in the averages."
Wait .... they actually pay this guy to say things like this?

Where can I sign up? I can spout obvious drivel with the best of them. :greedy
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 am

This thread needs to be euthanized.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am

samsoes wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 am
This is one of the most active threads... besides, if you killed it, it would just create a dozen more with the same generic topic about whatever particular direction things are going.
Last edited by JoMoney on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 am

MSE prof wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:36 pm
Tycoon wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:35 pm
Patience.
Are you telling yourself that or was that in response to someone's post?
It's a response to a few of the posts I've read.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 am

uberdoc wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Today out of nowhere, I received an after tax bonus of $85K.
Where do you people find these companies that pay almost 1 year of my salary as a bonus? I was so appreciative to my boss this year for a bonus of $1750! Someone is jealous here!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:54 am

ginmqi wrote:

If you didn't buy yesterday you may have missed this dip. Stocks will be up again today.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:00 am

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:54 am
ginmqi wrote:

If you didn't buy yesterday you may have missed this dip. Stocks will be up again today.
It certainly looks like it, but if you go and gloat in the stocks "continue to soar" thread that seems like a good way to jinx it ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 am
uberdoc wrote:
Where do you people find these companies that pay almost 1 year of my salary as a bonus? I was so appreciative to my boss this year for a bonus of $1750! Someone is jealous here!
Mind you, there is no context behind these stories about people getting these bonuses. One person could be doing nothing spectacular out of their 40hr/week schedule and still get a bonus or it could be someone doing 50-80 hour work weeks without OT involved and uses a bonus as gratitude and as a way to make employees stay (usually the case). So while it is easy to say "wow, look at all this money!", you don't know the complete story behind it.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:09 am

nedsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:00 am
You say freefall and I say free fall,
You say downdraft and I say down draft
Free fall, freefall, down draft, downdraft
Let's call the whole thing off.
Is free fall/freefall one of those words that is spelled differently depending on who you're talking to?

In my specialized industry, I use the term and spelling of stormwater, but a lay person would use storm water as two words.
Similar thing for wastewater. Engineers use it as one word, but lay people spell it as two words.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:13 am

Just before the December 18th opening, futures are up. Up 138 for the Dow, up 15 for the S&P 500, and up 36 for NASDAQ. Hopefully we will find a bottom here but no way to know.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Buddtholomew

Post by Buddtholomew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am

nedsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:13 am
Just before the December 18th opening, futures are up. Up 138 for the Dow, up 15 for the S&P 500, and up 36 for NASDAQ. Hopefully we will find a bottom here but no way to know.
Personally, I can’t see a bottom until tomorrow’s FED meeting is in the books and direction on rates are known. Sell the rally is the order of the day.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:23 am

nedsaid wrote:
With the President spouting off about the Federal Reserve hiking rates, I think it's causing a lot of instability and decreasing confidence.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:23 am
nedsaid wrote:
With the President spouting off about the Federal Reserve hiking rates, I think it's causing a lot of instability and decreasing confidence.
That's nothing new... I would think the potential gov. shutdown is more destabilizing.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am

Buddtholomew wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am
nedsaid wrote:
Personally, I can’t see a bottom until tomorrow’s FED meeting is in the books and direction on rates are known. Sell the rally is the order of the day.
Hard to know how the market will react to anything at this point. Markets can shrug off bad news and continue to go up. Markets can shrug off good news and continue to go down. Mood is sour right now. I will say the market pays attention to the Fed as much as anything but there is a lot of tea leaf reading here, statements from the Fed are often as ambiguous as possible. My guess is that the current round of interest rate tightening is about over. If we get the all clear from the Fed tomorrow, we could see a relief rally but then markets move on to worry about other things.

So much out there we don't know, for one, what are the large hedge funds doing now? Interest rates are a huge factor but other things are at work. One thing to watch are earnings. Another is GDP growth. What I am trying to say is that guessing what the markets will do is pretty hard. Pretty much whatever markets do surprise me. Be prepared for this volatility to go on for a while.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am

Psyayeayeduck wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am
BogleMelon wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
Mind you, there is no context behind these stories about people getting these bonuses. One person could be doing nothing spectacular out of their 40hr/week schedule and still get a bonus or it could be someone doing 50-80 hour work weeks without OT involved and uses a bonus as gratitude and as a way to make employees stay (usually the case). So while it is easy to say "wow, look at all this money!", you don't know the complete story behind it.
My company pays several bonuses on a quarterly basis. In addition, RSUs are distributed on a quarterly basis. Everyone in the company gets the same % of most of the bonuses (factory people are on a totally different plan for some bonuses). There are no individual bonuses based on performance. When company execs do something stupid and the company loses its shirt for a quarter (happened once this year), we all get zip for the quarter. 2017 was a big year and because of it, my income was high enough that I had to go on estimated tax mailings for this year. Probably 70%ish bonus for that year. But we're also pretty well known as underpaying for base pay.

I did interview for a job at Linear Technology (now part of Analog Devices) years ago, and as I was headed to lunch with the VP of sales, he told me that for one recent year (at the time), the annual profit sharing payout was 125% of pay. Several years earlier, when business was in the tank, they had salary reductions and zero payout. Shrug.....so I guess there's always a risk with a high payout company that it could go to zero.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Houe

Post by Houe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 am

I think the market will sell into any rallies. People want to have some dry powder ready to go for when the opportunity arises? I'm curious how many here have used some of there dry powder (or all of it).

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 am

Houe wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 am
I think the market will sell into any rallies. People want to have some dry powder ready to go for when the opportunity arises? I'm curious how many here have used some of there dry powder (or all of it).
As of a month ago, thanks to this forum, I finally have a course which I can comfortably stay. That means there is no dry powder. There is only the regular weekly additions to taxable right now — none of which goes in to equities.

This entire thread became much more amusing (rather than stressful) the moment I found my course.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 am
That's nothing new... I would think the potential gov. shutdown is more destabilizing.
These shutdowns are just a dog and pony show. Federal employs get a paid vacation as they always get back pay. Defaulting on the debt is a destabilizer; I doubt they will do that again.

My last buy is up 1.13%. I'm good at this. :moneybag :greedy :dollar

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:50 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm
Teague wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:05 pm
corn18 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:07 pm
I think the current market is either driven by QE unwinding or my dog started eating dry food again. I give each an equal probability.
Hmm. If dog food is a leading indicator, I'd rather not know what constitutes a trailing indicator.
Okay, that was literally a laugh out loud :D , especially as I had just returned from walking the dogs, who, uh, expressed their market sentiments. Repeatedly.
NOW this thread is getting back on track. Tomato, please let us know when you see the free fall so we can get back into equities!

:shock:
Is this a firm projection? Are you anticipating a two bagger?

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am
Psyayeayeduck wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am
BogleMelon wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
My company pays several bonuses on a quarterly basis. In addition, RSUs are distributed on a quarterly basis. Everyone in the company gets the same % of most of the bonuses (factory people are on a totally different plan for some bonuses). There are no individual bonuses based on performance. When company execs do something stupid and the company loses its shirt for a quarter (happened once this year), we all get zip for the quarter. 2017 was a big year and because of it, my income was high enough that I had to go on estimated tax mailings for this year. Probably 70%ish bonus for that year. But we're also pretty well known as underpaying for base pay.

I did interview for a job at Linear Technology (now part of Analog Devices) years ago, and as I was headed to lunch with the VP of sales, he told me that for one recent year (at the time), the annual profit sharing payout was 125% of pay. Several years earlier, when business was in the tank, they had salary reductions and zero payout. Shrug.....so I guess there's always a risk with a high payout company that it could go to zero.
My ultimate point is to not let envy take over when people just post their bonus numbers. It's not a good position to be in.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 am

Psyayeayeduck wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am
My ultimate point is to not let envy take over when people just post their bonus numbers. It's not a good position to be in.
If you read it on the Wide World of the Web you know it has to be true.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 am

Bastiat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:23 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:26 pm
Will do good wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:11 pm
Most of us know something like this will have to happen, just don't know for how low or how long.
If you set your AA to your comfort zone, this shouldn't be too much of a worry.
Good luck to all and until the next long bull!
Looks like we are what, 65 days into this one? How does that compare to all post WWII bears (should have the mid-2015 to mid-2016 bear in there as well, but c'est la vie)?
The high close was on September 20, closer to 90 days ago.

And we aren't even down 15% yet.

Yawn.
Yes, not down 15% yet on the S&P, but other indices are already in a bear market (Russell; EM, China, Italy, Hang Seng, Korea, Germany, GB is close, etc...).

Financials, Materials, Energy, Industrials of the S&P are already in a bear. Time will tell if more sectors and the entire index follows or not.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/all-t ... 2018-12-17

More than half of the S&P 500 are in a bear market...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more- ... 2018-12-17

Known as a "hidden bear market" with a rolling bear market correction that has been going on all year (same happened in 2015-2016), the arbitrary number of an entire index - be it S&P, Total Stock Market, Small Cap, etc... may or may not show a 20% or more correction if that is the number used to identify a bear or not.

I believe that Yardeni Research, Inc. only counts the trading days (days the markets are open) from the Standard & Poor's data as Standard & Poor's. That could be what accounts for the discrepancy. However, the Yardeni page has now been updated to an 85 day count at this juncture.

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/sp500corrbear.pdf
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

BogleMelon wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
Sorry if I was not more sensitive. I was content with my salary at my current hospital but worked hard and hospital made great profit based on my work. At one time earlier this year there was a discussion about bonus but I never heard anything since then and I also I never cared. So this bonus was unexpected in a way. Good thing for me was the realization that this bonus amount made me happy same way as I feel by saving $6 on toll by carpooling.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 am

uberdoc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am
BogleMelon wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
Sorry if I was not more sensitive. I was content with my salary at my current hospital but worked hard and hospital made great profit based on my work. At one time earlier this year there was a discussion about bonus but I never heard anything since then and I also I never cared. So this bonus was unexpected in a way. Good thing for me was the realization that this bonus amount made me happy same way as I feel by saving $6 on toll by carpooling.
Oh never mind! I was only joking :sharebeer
Oh i see now you are a physician, that explains it then. Not jealous anymore :D , I understand how tough it was for all the education years and loans physicians have put in advance.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am
samsoes wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 am
This is one of the most active threads... besides, if you killed it, it would just create a dozen more with the same generic topic about whatever particular direction things are going.
Exactly. We're already seeing a bunch of "OMG this market!" threads popping up as it is. Hopefully this one is helping to keep that number down.

My solution to threads/topics that do not interest me is to not click on them.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many investors completely moved out of stocks yesterday. I also wonder how they feel with the S&P 500 being up 1% today.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many investors completely moved out of stocks yesterday.
Why tho?

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Crushtheturtle wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am
Now who can argue with that!
Cramer - the John Madden of equities.

"They need to move the football down the field and score. If they don't move the football down the field and score they aren't going to win the game."

kappy

Post by kappy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm

I TLH’d yesterday. Nothing more.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm

hilink73 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many investors completely moved out of stocks yesterday.
Why tho?
"Out of curiosity."
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Tamalak

Post by Tamalak » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Everyone look quick, ex-us is up while us is down. It's like spotting a unicorn..

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:51 pm

TLH'd from Large-cap to Total Market on Friday for a nice loss. Sitting on $750 loss now... to harvest into S&P500 now or wait and see how the week goes :)...

FWIW my IPS says $500, but I'll likely start to increase that (especially for ETFs with their drag/complexity when harvesting).

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 pm
Tamalak wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:45 pm
Everyone look quick, ex-us is up while us is down. It's like spotting a unicorn..
Be hopeful. This is the beginning of a ten year trend!
I would be happy with three at this point. Something. Anything.

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Tamalak wrote:
I think the unicorn just went to the glue factory.

MisterMister

Post by MisterMister » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 pm

...and down they go.

Yet again Wall street cannot sustain a healthy rally, even with a good head start on the day.

It would be a nice change for a tick up in the last hour rather than the typical downslide.
Last edited by MisterMister on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamalak

Post by Tamalak » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 pm

columbia wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Tamalak wrote:
I think the unicorn just went to the glue factory.
Yup.. poof :|

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:04 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm
hilink73 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Why tho?
"Out of curiosity."
Curiosity killed the cat.
Some playwright named Shakespeare penned this....probably others.

But if curiosity killed the cat then satisfaction brought it back. I wonder if any investors with substantial cash went all in.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

tony_roach

Post by tony_roach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Well triggered another buy order in taxable for my total market ETF (ITOT). My 401k and IRA's are maxed out so I need to collect more money to keep buying some dips in taxable.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 pm

When life hands you unicorns, make glue.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

peppers wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:04 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
hilink73 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Why tho?
"Out of curiosity."
Curiosity killed the cat.
Some playwright named Shakespeare penned this....probably others.

But if curiosity killed the cat then satisfaction brought it back. I wonder if any investors with substantial cash went all in.
I wonder how many people with taxable investments in Vanguard funds are selling around the dividends this week. It was suggested by more than one person here this week.

It is fun to wonder what is going on, but there are a 100 Million investors all making individual choices. All I can tell is the sellers are willing to sell for less than the buyers are willing to buy and so the wheel goes round and round.

I am on for the long ride but I am getting dizzy right now.....

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 pm
When life hands you unicorns, make glue.
Seems like maybe a good time to stock some unicorn meat in the freezer..

vwgrrc

Post by vwgrrc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm

This is not the time to sell folks! Mostly because the time to sell was in September :sharebeer

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
hilink73 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Why tho?
"Out of curiosity."
:mrgreen: