U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Tamarind

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by Tamarind »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:09 pm
DanMahowny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:07 pm I'm out until DOW drops to 16,000.

Short-term treasuries are the place to be.
You may be waiting for Godot. What happens if it's 2020 and the Dow is still nowhere near 16,000?
My dad threatened to do this in Jan 2016. Swore he'd stay 100% in stable value funds until the Dow hit 14k. Good thing I talked him out of it because it never did....
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We're not quite in an official correction yet, but we're close (down 9.1%).

Don't abandon your strategy. Stick to your IPS.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 am
I think of Jack Welch. He started a program where GE would get rid of their bottom 10% of employees every year. Sounds smart. Actually, not a bad idea to subtlely let go of your worst employees over time. But when you set a percentage as a goal and you do this year after year, the effect on morale can be devastating. I wonder if GE essentially hollowed itself out over the years. Probably, they lost not only their worst employees but many of their best left as well. I would like former GE employees to comment on this to see if I am right about this.

I am not arguing for lifetime employment. Companies should be able to flex their workforce according to their needs. But I think this has gone too far. Business fluctuates and that is a fact of life. Employees shouldn't be fearing for their jobs all the time.
Not a GE employee. So, I worked for a large tech when the current owner of the LA Clippers was the CEO. CEO was an acolyte of Jack and we had a 1,2,3,4,5 leveling system. 5 meant you were out and 4 was bad too. Our team was chock full of "high performers" (since the work was fun and super technically challenging). Since the leveling system worked approximately at a team level, managers had to hand out 4's to people who didn't deserve them at all - these folks were 1,2 before they joined our team. So we had a "rotating 4" where someone different took the bullet each year. The leveling meetings were the most soul-crushing meetings ever. I had to go in prepared with bad things to say about perfectly good people. It really was a Game of Thrones vibe. Hated it.

Ultimately this caused me to depart, first to Goog and thence to a startup - which worked out well. Of course, the said Welshian system is no longer in existence. But I'll never ever go back to a BigCo again
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Sorry, today was my fault. I got a little extra money recently and put it in the market yesterday. Oh well . . .
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

CULater wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:28 pm RELAX! This is only a test of your risk-tolerance level....THIS IS ONLY A TEST. Now, back to our regular programming...
A test? It’s not even a correction yet, and that happens yearly on average...my goodness!!!, if a yearly event tests your AA, what’s the wholepoint!!!
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 pm We're not quite in an official correction yet, but we're close (down 9.1%).

I assumed not a single person here will even be remotely phased with the recent market activity...I just cannot fathom why anyone will even remotely consider changing their plans ... does it surprise you that some are shaken up with recent non-events?...it’s been an eye opener for me...it’s not even a damn correction...my goodness
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Asset bubble from QE and 0% interest. Now is just back to normal.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Reading through this thread, it amazes me how many Bogleheads succumb to market timing and buying high/selling low.

The theoretical 'everybody indexes and price discovery disappears' is never going to happen.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

dknightd wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm Sorry, today was my fault. I got a little extra money recently and put it in the market yesterday. Oh well . . .
I’m really to blame for this mess.... I bought some BRK.B and it’s been straight down ever since :D .

Don’t worry though, by time I can TLH VTI in a couple weeks (already TLHd from VOO to VTI) all the losses will be erased. Sigh ...
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

Independent George wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 pm Reading through this thread, it amazes me how many Bogleheads succumb to market timing and buying high/selling low.

The theoretical 'everybody indexes and price discovery disappears' is never going to happen.
Actually most posts are jokes. About a 100 pages back I did a statistical analysis of people’s posting. It was something like 3-4 people who were reducing their equity exposure, another 10-20 who said they were buying more, and another 500 posts of jokes or telling people to stay the course. Much like the stock market, important to separate out the signal and the noise in this thread.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:48 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 pm We're not quite in an official correction yet, but we're close (down 9.1%).

I assumed not a single person here will even be remotely phased with the recent market activity...I just cannot fathom why anyone will even remotely consider changing their plans ... does it surprise you that some are shaken up with recent non-events?...it’s been an eye opener for me...it’s not even a damn correction...my goodness
It shouldn't, but it does indeed shake up some people. Those who are shaken must have forgotten about this very spring.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm Today was not as entertaining as I was hoping...didn’t even hit a 3% loss today...bummer!!!...I’m holding hope for tomorrow...
I hereby blame gilgamesh for today's drop.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

2008 still feels like yesterday to me. Ended up selling when I should have held.

Subsequently, I adjusted my AA to a conservative 33/67 stock/bond mix.

This latest market gyration hasn't caused me even to wince.

We'll see if that continues to be the case as/if the market continues to fall.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

CULater wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:28 pm RELAX! This is only a test of your risk-tolerance level....THIS IS ONLY A TEST. Now, back to our regular programming...
To the new (and not so new investors), see the wiki: Risk tolerance If anyone wants to change their asset allocation and needs help to do so, start a thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum.

For me, I only look at my portfolio balance once a year to see if it needs rebalancing. Problem solved. (OK, I check it a few times - but only to confirm my share totals match MoneyDance (a Quicken competitor)).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

mrspock wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:57 pm
dknightd wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm Sorry, today was my fault. I got a little extra money recently and put it in the market yesterday. Oh well . . .
I’m really to blame for this mess.... I bought some BRK.B and it’s been straight down ever since :D .

Don’t worry though, by time I can TLH VTI in a couple weeks (already TLHd from VOO to VTI) all the losses will be erased. Sigh ...
A few days before this market snit started I noticed that at the top of my Vanguard logon page the little "Voyager Services" had changed to "Flagship Services"
Wonder if that is the cause of the problem?
Otherwise wouldn't be bothered very much as long as the dividends continue and I don't have to sell.
I would probably be nibbling at buying a bit of something now (like MidCap IDX?) but am now steering whatever I can save into Credit Union saving because due to circumstances I have become alert that I might need to be prepared to buy a house!
Last edited by Wakefield1 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loves2read

Post by loves2read »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/under ... op_stories

Title uses hyperbole but it isn't all hyperbole

Saw header that AMD down 18%----missed revenue--weak 4th Qtr forecast from the header...so tech likely smarting tomorrow

Think any of the selling off is due to the influence of more money over past year or two going into ETF index funds with rigid algorhythims--like the new GS head commented last week...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

DanMahowny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:07 pm I'm out until DOW drops to 16,000.

Short-term treasuries are the place to be.
If the Dow doesn't drop to 16,000 then what do you do? Will you stay in short-term treasures forever?
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wakefield1 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:10 pm

A few days before this market snit started I noticed that at the top of my Vanguard logon page the little "Voyager Services" had changed to "Flagship Services"
Wonder if that is the cause of the problem?
Otherwise wouldn't be bothered very much as long as the dividends continue and I don't have to sell.
I was the cause of 2008. I hit Flagship in late 2007. Then not again until 2011.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

On the bright side, CAPE10 is now below 30. I guess that implies improved expected returns, if you believe such things...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

My wife asked me what happened to the market and why her account balance was missing a big chunk of money. To which I responded, remember that one time I said we could lose half of our money? We know what we signed up for, hon. To which she responded: "Had I know, I would use all of our money to buy mega million lottery ticket." To which I responded: "Don't miss the cut-off time to buy Powerball ticket, hon."

We are somehow fluent in sarcasm.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

loves2read wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 pm https://www.marketwatch.com/story/under ... op_stories

Title uses hyperbole but it isn't all hyperbole

Saw header that AMD down 18%----missed revenue--weak 4th Qtr forecast from the header...so tech likely smarting tomorrow

Think any of the selling off is due to the influence of more money over past year or two going into ETF index funds with rigid algorhythims--like the new GS head commented last week...
Market rot! Rotting on the inside! Yuck. That sounds bad. Why didn’t they tell us this about 7% up ago.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

I have about 20K worth of gain that I need to use TLH to cancel out. Looks like it is getting close for me. Unfortunately, I just TLH last week and this week. So, I need this to continue for a while before my next round of TLH.

KlangFool
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm It shouldn't, but it does indeed shake up some people. Those who are shaken must have forgotten about this very spring.
I must confess - I'm actually a bit shaken up, too. It's not the market performance itself that makes me uneasy, but the possibility of job (and therefore income) loss. I did not sell in 2008, and have no temptation to sell in 2018 - but uncertainty increases my temptation to reduce further investment in order increase cash reserves.

Unlike 2008, though, I didn't just plunk down a huge deposit for my mortgage, so I already have a fair chunk of ready on hand. If I make any changes to my budget, it will be to reduce the additional principal I'm paying to my mortgage every month.
bligh

Post by bligh »

I will admit. I am hurting just a tad. Not enough to want to adjust anything but I admit that while I was showering... I entertained the thought - "Maybe I should just put everything into Wellington and call it a day"...The dollar losses I am experiencing are the largest of my life. I have lost more in the last couple of weeks in dollar terms than my entire net worth back in 2008.

It's funny because 80/20 (my target allocation) felt perfect in the bull market and now 60/40 looks so much nicer and so much more enticing. lol
Last edited by bligh on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Independent George wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm It shouldn't, but it does indeed shake up some people. Those who are shaken must have forgotten about this very spring.
I must confess - I'm actually a bit shaken up, too. It's not the market performance itself that makes me uneasy, but the possibility of job (and therefore income) loss. I did not sell in 2008, and have no temptation to sell in 2018 - but uncertainty increases my temptation to reduce further investment in order increase cash reserves.

Unlike 2008, though, I didn't just plunk down a huge deposit for my mortgage, so I already have a fair chunk of ready on hand. If I make any changes to my budget, it will be to reduce the additional principal I'm paying to my mortgage every month.
I was tone deaf to job loss/income loss as it’s almost impossible in my case. But, for those that are susceptible, I totally understand.

In retirement, when my human capital is zero, I will not be taking any stock risks...these expected events will be upsetting to me and thus my plan to build TIPS ladder for essential retirement income. Yes!...If job/income is in jeapordy this can be scary.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Whakamole wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm
gilgamesh wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm Today was not as entertaining as I was hoping...didn’t even hit a 3% loss today...bummer!!!...I’m holding hope for tomorrow...
I hereby blame gilgamesh for today's drop.
Ha! Ha!...well! DOW still didn’t hit my mark :twisted:
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bligh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm The dollar losses I am experiencing are the largest of my life. I have lost more in the last couple of weeks in dollar terms than my entire net worth back in 2008. :sharebeer
That reminds me of my Dad, a natural optimist. He once told me, very proudly, that he had paid more in taxes this year than he had earned a few years previously.

FWIW, I’m past counting how many luxury cars I can purchase using Livesoft’s Rule.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

bligh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm I will admit. I am hurting a tad. Not enough to adjust anything but I admit that while I was showering I entertained the thought - "Maybe I should just put everything into Wellington and call it a day"...The dollar losses I am experiencing are the largest of my life. I have lost more in the last couple of weeks in dollar terms than my entire net worth back in 2008. :sharebeer
Wow! Then unless you invested a large chunk of your portfolio this year, you also received a huge earnings in 2017...congrats for that, sorry you lost a fraction of that over the past few weeks.

What was your 2017 earnings compared to 2008?
bgf

Post by bgf »

imagine if stocks were only open for trading once a year on july 1. would you really be concerned about your investments right now?

no, no you would not. you wouldnt even be thinking about it because you cant do anything until july 1, 2019 to do anything about it.

never let stock prices alone inform your strategy.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

I'm expecting a big whoosh-down a few days from now on Monday. I wish I had more dry powder to deploy but I plan to deploy what I've got at that time.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

bligh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm It's funny because 80/20 (my target allocation) felt perfect in the bull market and now 60/40 looks so much nicer and so much more enticing. lol
A few weeks ago, someone said that in a bull market, it's age-20 in bonds, but in a bear market, it's age in bonds.

Maybe we should just meet in the middle and do age-10 for all markets. :sharebeer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Whakamole wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm
bligh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm It's funny because 80/20 (my target allocation) felt perfect in the bull market and now 60/40 looks so much nicer and so much more enticing. lol
A few weeks ago, someone said that in a bull market, it's age-20 in bonds, but in a bear market, it's age in bonds.

Maybe we should just meet in the middle and do age-10 for all markets. :sharebeer
Or maybe 60/40 forever?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
loves2read

Post by loves2read »

bgf wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm imagine if stocks were only open for trading once a year on july 1. would you really be concerned about your investments right now?

no, no you would not. you wouldnt even be thinking about it because you cant do anything until july 1, 2019 to do anything about it.

never let stock prices alone inform your strategy.
Makes me think of the Bradbury short story "All Summer in a Day" where the sun only comes out one day a year on Venus...
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:59 pm
Whakamole wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Or maybe 60/40 forever?
It's good enough for Vanguard Balanced (and Wellington is 65/35 which is pretty close.)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I hate seeing S&P500 and NASDAQ daily market #’s go down. But a bigger market was always going to occur. No intention of selling stocks.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

loves2read wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:06 pm Makes me think of the Bradbury short story "All Summer in a Day" where the sun only comes out one day a year on Venus...
That was kind of a sad story.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

I just put in 15% of my cash today.. We'll probably see a bigger drop tomorrow! :oops:
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I have no idea what you are doing, but I'm glad all losses will be erased ;) Thanks
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:15 pm I just put in 15% of my cash today.. We'll probably see a bigger drop tomorrow! :oops:
Look on the bright side. Doing it today was better than doing it yesterday ;)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

No sweat. The markets will take a big bounce tomorrow. They always do.

Disclaimer: Newbies, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I know nothing!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Maybe we should teach the new comers what is CAPE10.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm
Independent George wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm

I was tone deaf to job loss/income loss as it’s almost impossible in my case. But, for those that are susceptible, I totally understand.

In retirement, when my human capital is zero, I will not be taking any stock risks...these expected events will be upsetting to me and thus my plan to build TIPS ladder for essential retirement income. Yes!...If job/income is in jeapordy this can be scary.
Even though my employment is rock solid as well, this is part of the reason that we've been aggressively paying off our mortgage early. On paper, this is probably not the optimal decision, but we will feel very secure indeed when we don't owe anyone a dime for anything.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:57 pm Maybe we should teach the new comers what is CAPE10.
You don't need to know anything about CAPE to believe that market returns will be lower in the next decade than they've been in the last. Historically, investors' average equity allocation has been a far stronger predictor of future market returns than CAPE, and it's predicting about 3% for the next decade.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:59 pm
flyingaway wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:57 pm Maybe we should teach the new comers what is CAPE10.
You don't need to know anything about CAPE to believe that market returns will be lower in the next decade than they've been in the last. Historically, investors' average equity allocation has been a far stronger predictor of future market returns than CAPE, and it's predicting about 3% for the next decade.
I think that is more difficult to know than CAPE 10.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

McGilicutty wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:52 pm DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

I'm expecting a big whoosh-down a few days from now on Monday. I wish I had more dry powder to deploy but I plan to deploy what I've got at that time.
I plan on waiting a bit longer than that. The DOW and S&P aren't even in correction territory, yet. If we get close to a bear, or better yet, into a bear...then I'll most likely take the opportunity to TLH my bond funds and increase my equity allocation.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:04 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:59 pm
I think that is more difficult to know than CAPE 10.
The Fed tracks it. You can see the model of investor's average equity allocation and market returns here.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Snuffycuts99 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:59 pm

I plan on waiting a bit longer than that. The DOW and S&P aren't even in correction territory, yet. If we get close to a bear, or better yet, into a bear...then I'll most likely take the opportunity to TLH my bond funds and increase my equity allocation.
You might not have any loss in your bond funds anymore at that time (with a bear).
aqan

Post by aqan »

You can wish all you want but Mr Market always does opposite of common expectations
corn18

Post by corn18 »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 am But string theory is so bogus :wink:
You're not one of those loop quantum gravity zealots are you? :mrgreen:
Don't do something, just stand there!
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Very nice and sharp decline the last 30 minutes, on heavy volume.
After-market bounce.

SP.500 is priced exactly where it should be.
Tomorrow is another day.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.