U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ucla-engineer

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by ucla-engineer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm

#6000!!!

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 pm
Isn't it time for the moderators to close this topic?
Why? To start a new one each time the markets go down the tubes? Every other day! Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

cfs wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Why? To start a new one each time the markets go down the tubes? Every other day! Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
Also, it’s clearly a favorite.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 pm

The thread will stay open.
ucla-engineer wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm
#6000!!!
Actually, it's post #6043 for you.

The right side of the page, just to the left of the page numbers, contains the total post count.
========

Let's stay focused on investing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 pm
The thread will stay open.
ucla-engineer wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm
#6000!!!
Actually, it's post #6043 for you.

The right side of the page, just to the left of the page numbers, contains the total post count.
========

Let's stay focused on investing.
It says 6004 after your post for me.

Edit: and now 6005 after my post.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Sorry, my bad. The post count seen by moderators and site admins includes posts we've removed since the thread started in 2011.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:39 pm

^^ It's always funny seeing people talk about the page count when I see a different page count :)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 am

Welp, it’s back to being called a “buying opportunity” by the talking heads ...

Guess it’s gonna go up heading into the holiday weekend ... followed by some volatility that causes another “crash”, then further upward movement in a less steady fashion than 2017

I’m glad none of this nonsense has bothered me whatsoever - guess my risk tolerance is where I thought it was (I bought the February dip, time for that to start paying off ... hopefully)

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 am
Why do you listen to them?
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Guess it’s gonna go up heading into the holiday weekend ... followed by some volatility that causes another “crash”, then further upward movement in a less steady fashion than 2017
How might you know any of that to be true or even probably true?

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 am

Da5id wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Why do you listen to them?
RRAAYY3 wrote:
1. I don’t - it’s amusing, but I do not base any decisions off them

2. The actual fundamentals are still strong. Do I know? No. Do I think so? Yes. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m which case, I’ll buy more cheaper shares

Have a nice day

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 am

gwe67 wrote:
Yes but we are in a minority here though.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
da5id wrote:
RRAAYY3 wrote:
2. The actual fundamentals are still strong. Do I know? No. Do I think so? Yes. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m which case, I’ll buy more cheaper shares
What in that lets you make very short term predictions? Why would you make short term predictions (as in what the market will do this week)? Has anyone ever been able to make short term predictions meaningfully? You seem to do it often, so trying to figure out why.

My own (worthless) prediction is that the market will open up today. Mind you, that is because S&P futures are up 0.34% and market is opening in 11 minutes. Not a very valuable prediction, but best I've got. I don't personally think short or medium term predictions are useful or actionable.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
So far, what we know is that yesterday was a 'relief rally'. We also know, the S&P, DOW and NAS are still trading under the 13, 20 and 50dma.

Seems premature...but they usually are imo.

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am

Da5id wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
da5id wrote:
RRAAYY3 wrote:
What in that lets you make very short term predictions? Why would you make short term predictions (as in what the market will do this week)? Has anyone ever been able to make short term predictions meaningfully? You seem to do it often, so trying to figure out why.

My own (worthless) prediction is that the market will open up today. Mind you, that is because S&P futures are up 0.34% and market is opening in 11 minutes. Not a very valuable prediction, but best I've got. I don't personally think short or medium term predictions are useful or actionable.
Freedom of speech? Expressing of an opinion, half serious, on a funny amusing message board thread?

You can keep looking for an argument if you’d like, just look elsewhere. Happy Tuesday !

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am
Freedom of speech? Expressing of an opinion, half serious, on a funny amusing message board thread?

You can keep looking for an argument if you’d like, just look elsewhere. Happy Tuesday !
Got it. I assumed you were making serious predictions of some sort that you thought conveyed useful information to others. If you are even half serious, I'll use my freedom of speech to keep calling it out when I get around to it. I must say I missed the funny aspect.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 am

Da5id wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am

Got it. I assumed you were making serious predictions of some sort that you thought conveyed useful information to others. If you are even half serious, I'll use my freedom of speech to keep calling it out when I get around to it. I must say I missed the funny aspect.
Read the thread - it’s a joke at this point that gets bumped every time there’s a down day.

You keep on message board calling out to your heart’s content though, thanks!

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 am
Read the thread - it’s a joke at this point that gets bumped every time there’s a down day.

You keep on message board calling out to your heart’s content though, thanks!
I've indeed read the thread. And posted on it jokingly. Sometimes I don't get that someone is joking, particularly if they post similarly in other threads. YMMV.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:09 pm

gwe67 wrote:
If there is a thread that I don't like, I just avoid it.

It never occurred to me that I click on it and post a comment suggesting its closure. But that's just me.
Funding secured

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:09 pm
gwe67 wrote:

It never occurred to me that I click on it and post a comment suggesting its closure. But that's just me.
Yep. And if there is a thread or post you feel is inappropriate, why not just us the little "report" button and mods will do as they deem appropriate.

More on topic, US stocks are not in a freefall or soaring at this point in the day. Alas. However international stocks are booming! Jack Bogle was wrong*!

*Today at least

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:09 pm
gwe67 wrote:

I searched "this thead has run its course" on the site using Google and found this post on the thread from 2015:
21 Apr 2015 Does anyone else think this thread has run its course and should be locked?
No doubt in another three years people will still be asking the same thing. Another post from a moderator on a different thread says "This thread has run its course and is locked (no longer productive)."

This thread is still productive apparently so it lives on.

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines

Investing - Theory, News & General

If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here. Examples of acceptable topics include news about new fund offerings, pointers to academic papers about investing issues, questions about the proper role of a particular asset class in a portfolio, or questions about Vanguard policies.

A bad day on Wall Street from 2011 is no longer news.

Unacceptable Topics

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

It's not actionable.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:06 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 pm
Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines

Investing - Theory, News & General

If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here. Examples of acceptable topics include news about new fund offerings, pointers to academic papers about investing issues, questions about the proper role of a particular asset class in a portfolio, or questions about Vanguard policies.

A bad day on Wall Street from 2011 is no longer news.

Unacceptable Topics

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

It's not actionable.
Since we are quoting the rules:
If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators.
This thread lets people blow off steam and shoot the breeze. It has become somewhat of an institution. As long as it doesn't get ad hominem or political the moderators have chosen to leave it open for years, which suggests that it is for whatever reason "OK'. If you don't like it, it is very easy to avoid reading it. I avoid posts on topics that I don't find interesting, seems like a good policy.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Let's stay on-topic. You can submit reports with the " ! " button present on every post/topic and moderators will be alerted.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:28 pm

triceratop wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Let's stay on-topic.
Stocks are falling, bond prices are rising. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Da5id wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:28 pm
triceratop wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Let's stay on-topic.
Stocks are falling, bond prices are rising. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Much better. Love too lose money.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Fellow bogleheads,

I hereby declare the end of the great bull market as we know it.

Buy a house, if you must.
Buy a car, if you must.
Buy a boat, because you know... YOLO

But this is the great opportunity to save and invest. Your future self and family will thank you 10 years later.

Respectfully,

A boglehead.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:46 pm

thangngo wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 pm
Fellow bogleheads,

I hereby declare the end of the great bull market as we know it.

Buy a house, if you must.
Buy a car, if you must.

But this is the great opportunity to save and invest. Your future self and family will thank you 10 years later.

Respectfully,

A boglehead.
Hope you're right (sorry to those closer to drawdown). Officially got a buyback offer for some private company stock I have been holding a while that is now 50% of networth (only started serious savings a couple years ago, but still). The stock is very risky but has had some serious growth so I am hoping the market takes a little dive before the funds become available the first week of May. At that time, I will actually become a True Boglehead.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Nope, looking at today's almost 4% drop in the NASDAQ, looks like it's on-topic again.
:shock:

Edit: oh, look, a dead-cat bounce. NASDAQ closed 2.93% down for the day.

Oh, well....
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:05 pm

thangngo wrote:
Not really all that enthused about fishing or tooling around on the lake. Could I perhaps make it a Cessna 172 instead?
:D
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 pm

What a weird day. Up again, and then suddenly and definitely not up.

I am patiently waiting for DH's new brokerage account to finally get all the figures in the correct places, as every time I log on it shows a different balance. The thought was that we could finally get all accounts up and ready to go to go adventuring in the world of brokered CDs, so I have tracked ETF equivalents out of curiosity. Oh well, looks like the Vanguard server hamster exercise wheels are still a bit balky, so not today.

For those who think this thread is not actionable, I will just say that when things get spooky in market land, this thread is a great way to relieve some tensions. It's all very nice to say "stay the course" and "what does your IP say?", but sometimes a little silliness and black humor reinforces the dry (and absolutely correct) advice. I'm still a human and not a machine. I call this a variation on Taylor's observation that there are many roads to Dublin. :wink: This one is sometimes mine.

edit to add: and I do stay the course and follow my IP. So far, so good.
Last edited by bayview on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:05 pm
thangngo wrote:
Not really all that enthused about fishing or tooling around on the lake. Could I perhaps make it a Cessna 172 instead?
:D
Put it on floats, and you have a deal. :beer

Or better still, a 170. I did all my flying (past-tense) in tail-draggers: Cessna 140, Cub, Champ, T-craft. No training wheel! :wink:
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 am
gwe67 wrote:
Yes but we are in a minority here though.
Obvious question is why you open this thread if you feel that way?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Falling knives not only being caught but being juggled and tossed up in the air again!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:11 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Nope, looking at today's almost 4% drop in the NASDAQ, looks like it's on-topic again.
:shock:

Edit: oh, look, a dead-cat bounce. NASDAQ closed 2.93% down for the day.

Oh, well....
Beware the dead cat bounce!!!

I find this thread of value. It’s a running document of people in a panic when the market was about 1/3 of the price.

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm

So, what's the excuse today for the huge swings? Up nearly 200 at one point and closes down 344. That's not normal, and I'm really beginning to wonder what type of games are being played..

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm
So, what's the excuse today for the huge swings? Up nearly 200 at one point and closes down 344. That's not normal, and I'm really beginning to wonder what type of games are being played..
Exactly my thought. It's not a good feeling when the stock market behaves like bitcoin.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm
Of course it is, what's not normal was last years up every calendar month from beginning to end with really low volatility along the way, that was the first time that ever happened, big whipsaw volatility happens pretty often.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Yet again I didn't get a chance to TLH VOO. It might have hit a negative at some point, but it was positive every time I checked. I ended the day with $1.10 in unrealized gains.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

scone

Post by scone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Sometimes it's a rollercoaster of love, cue the Peppers. Here's a good take on the recent weirdness from a market stats guy who knows a thing or two: http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2018/0 ... his-sucks/
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm
Yet again I didn't get a chance to TLH VOO. It might have hit a negative at some point, but it was positive every time I checked. I ended the day with $1.10 in unrealized gains.
Even if you went a couple of points into the red, why would you bother TLH such a small amount?

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm

bi0hazard said "It's not a good feeling when the stock market behaves like bitcoin"

Buy-and-Hold investors are getting used to (now-routine) 300 plus point loss on the Dow.

Keep smiling, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 pm

My next paycheck investment money doesn’t go in until next week. So the market will be back up by then. It’s down today because I bought yesterday. Sorry.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm
GibsonL6s wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:48 am
Starchild wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm
Yeah, everyone in the world who owns stock lost money today. You’re certainly not alone 😀
I didn't. I didn't sell.

:wink:
This is one of my favorite untruths. The idea that if you didn't sell you didn't loose. You may not have "realized" the loss, but you lost.
Thanks, didn’t realize if one has an unrealized loss, it’s still a loss. Any others fail to realize this unrealized realization?
I can't tell if you are joking or being a smart Alec, I commented because this is my opinion related to a thought that is expressed often, so maybe there are others who disagree or maybe even possibly fail to realize this. :D

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:01 pm

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Even if you went a couple of points into the red, why would you bother TLH such a small amount?

Why not?

I admit, I wouldn’t, but I’d you're already checking it out, why not?

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:31 pm

What will the stock market do?

"It will fluctuate".

J.P. Morgan
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Welp, my e-fund is back where it needs to be ... You’re move Mr. Market. It really is such a bunch of BS ... I love how everyone’s “anti Tech” now

“Facebook stole my privacy” No, you morons broadcasted your life to the world and now need to be faux outraged about something

Yawn

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
To swap it for IVV. I've mentioned this several times.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-d ... 2018-03-27

I feel this could definitely be a possibility although the date may be bogus March 4, 2019 LOL!, I've heard the 18k level for the Dow thrown around a lot by many since prior to that there was a long sideways stretch for the market which would offer strong support. That's about 23% down from here which makes sense for consolidation after such a big run up.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
If you simply prefer IVV over VOO, I would think a $1.10 gain would be low enough to be worth it.

As to why not to TLH with just ANY loss; transaction costs on ETF buy/sale.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
If you simply prefer IVV over VOO, I would think a $1.10 gain would be low enough to be worth it.

As to why not to TLH with just ANY loss; transaction costs on ETF buy/sale.
Earl wants to know if the sale will get characterized as a wash sale. Earl is a tax scientist, the rarest of all scientists.