U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tibbitts

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by tibbitts » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 am

Bwlonge wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 am
Crisium wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am
Gary Cohn effect today. Beginning of the end?
I frame the question as, how long will it take the market to price in projected lost revenue from tariffs?
Probably as long as it will take to price in projected increased revenue from tariffs.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 am

I removed an off-topic rant related to the proposed tariffs.

Please stay focused on the investing aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am

Let’s try again

Would these recent economic developments signal a potential benefit or detriment to certain funds

i.e. International vs US Index Funds

Or, would both likely decrease in value per share?

I love peanut butter.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am
Let’s try again

Would these recent economic developments signal a potential benefit or detriment to certain funds

i.e. International vs US Index Funds

Or, would both likely decrease in value per share?

I love peanut butter.
Developments like these reinforce the wisdom of my decision to hold a broadly diversified portfolio including US and International components. I cannot successfully forecast the impacts of these economic developments 2 days out let alone 30 years. Since I am investing for my life and beyond they are simply curiosities to consider and review in the rear view mirror.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 am

Crisium wrote:
Gary Cohn effect today. Beginning of the end of the bull?
... aaaaand, it's back up to "even".

:?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am

Every time I think I know what the market will do ... it pretty much does nothing or the opposite

Thought today would be the start of correction 2.0

corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 am

When I was picking stocks (before finding BH), I was wrong nearly 100% of the time. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I lost money nearly 100% of the time due to no plan and all emotion. Does that make me some sort of savant or just an idiot? Maybe I should forget everything I have learned here and go back to losing money and ya'll can just do the opposite of what I do every time. 100% failure for me, 100% success for you!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 am
Crisium wrote:

Dang! I slept right through another freefall.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 am
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Crisium wrote:

Dang! I slept right through another freefall.
Take heart, you didn't miss it!
:twisted:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Crisium wrote:

This makes me think we need the equivalent of a baseball announcer for the stock market instead of just CNBC journalists. That would be a bit entertaining. Although I know the stock market has nothing to do with entertainment and is mostly like watching water boil on low heat.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Crisium wrote:
Advisors come, advisors go. This is no big deal and is overplayed. Two days from now, it will be "Gary who?"
Last edited by munemaker on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:05 pm

A 0.78% decline (S&P, currently) is not doing it for me. This is more like a wobble than a freefall.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Crisium wrote:

This makes me think we need the equivalent of a baseball announcer for the stock market instead of just CNBC journalists. That would be a bit entertaining. Although I know the stock market has nothing to do with entertainment and is mostly like watching water boil on low heat.
I nominate Al Michaels. I used to listen to him and Joe Nuxhall announce the Cincinnati Reds on radio. He’d be great.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 pm

I nominate Al Michaels. I used to listen to him and Joe Nuxhall announce the Cincinnati Reds on radio. He’d be great.
My memories are best of Joe Nuxhall and Marty Brennamen for the Big Red Machine in the mid-70s (hiding under the covers with my tiny transistor radio so my mom wouldn't make me turn it off and go to sleep!)

"And this one belongs to the Reds!" could be "And this one belongs to the long-term investor!"

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 pm
GoldenFinch wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Crisium wrote:

Gus Johnson. And it's not even close.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:51 am

Crisium wrote:
Most people are probably unaware of who Gary Cohn is.
A fool and his money are good for business.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 am

Most people don't invest or even pay attention to personal finance.
Financial independence is the best revenge.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am

geez, talk about making a bold prediction

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/08/investi ... index.html

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

That was EXTREMELY helpful, NOT!

"he believes market gains should continue for the next year or two. ... He said it's normal for there to be a correction at the end of an investing cycle, and that markets could be heading for a "deep correction" of between 20% and 40%, depending upon the market values at the time the downturn starts. "

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

"he believes market gains should continue for the next year or two. ... He said it's normal for there to be a correction at the end of an investing cycle, and that markets could be heading for a "deep correction" of between 20% and 40%, depending upon the market values at the time the downturn starts. "
In other words, market may go up, down or both. So insightful!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 pm

walletless wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am
wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

In other words, market may go up, down or both. So insightful!
All useless noise.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 pm

W Buffett hasn't buy back his own company stock nor did make many M&A recently. He has 111B of cash on the side. This tells you something.

oriol

Post by oriol » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

All I have to say - the title of this thread didn't age well :happy
Last edited by oriol on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't have to know everything. A few really big ideas carry most of the freight." — Munger

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Noise Alert !!!!

"Big Announcement" pending, now watch those Asian markets go up up up up up and up, followed by Europe, followed by USA.

Good luck with your investments, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Your Money, Your Portfolio, Your Decision ~

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:25 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 pm
W Buffett hasn't buy back his own company stock nor did make many M&A recently. He has 111B of cash on the side. This tells you something.
I searched using Google historical and found similar ideas from 2014:
the fact that Warren Buffett isn’t buying anything right now despite a $50 billion-plus cash hoard is pretty telling.

According to Bloomberg reports, cash at Berkshire Hathaway “rose past $50 billion at the end of June, the first time it finished a quarter above that level since he became chairman and chief executive officer more than four decades ago.”

This is a startling sign, because it could indicate that the Oracle of Omaha simply doesn’t see anything out there worth throwing his money at — and could indicate that, broadly, there is not a lot of value to be had in the current environment. https://investorplace.com/2014/08/warre ... 0-billion/
Last year, WB talked about missed opportunities in Amazon and Google: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/06/warren- ... oogle.html

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm

EL TORO

Looking back to March 9th 2009 . . . Happy 9th Anniversary to EL TORO!

As in BULL market

Gracias por leer ~cfs~

p.s. And a good way to celebrate the birthday by part of the Dow Industrials . . .

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

As someone very close to retirement (possibly this year - me..54, DW - 60), this market action is starting to make me a bit nervous that we're on the verge of another bear market.

Just today, the reasoning du-jur from MarketWatch for the nearly 300 point drop was "Treasury Yields are DOWN - which isn't good for stocks" (??).

The other day it was "Treasury Yields are UP and approaching 2.9% - the magic number at which stocks will fall due to lower risk alternatives".

Seems like there is literally nothing - not better than expected retail #s, better than expected employment #s, treasury yields up, treasury yields down, that is moving the market up - or even letting us stay reasonably level.

The net is that this market is starting to act like a balloon slowly leaking air..how much air it leaks is anyone's guess, but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to hit sequence of returns risk head on right in the first year of retirement..

I'd planned to dial back equity exposure (currently less than 50% of my retirement kitty) around 26,000 or so - and never got around to it. We did "some" equity exposure reduction with a rollover of wife's 401K that's currently in transit, so at least that part of the portfolio is in cash and not yet re-invested. At this point, we will probably put it in CDs and use the interest payments to at least partly fund early retirement..

We could convert heavily to cash and be "fine" for a long time. The odds of either of us living to 90+ are next to zero given family histories and overall health. So, it's a bit of a gamble in and of itself but the market is a place I'm increasingly not enjoying being at the moment this close to ER, and I think the near-term (next 1-3 years) upside is increasingly looking to not have the kind of risk/reward ratio that makes continued investing during this period healthy. (Sure, if you have 10+ years - go for it..but for those of us nearing ER, a big part of the portfolio in cash earning 2-2.5% is not a bad place to be..all JMHO of course, and I do realize it barely keeps up with inflation..but far better than watching the air leak from the balloon constantly also..)

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am
As someone very close to retirement (possibly this year - me..54, DW - 60), this market action is starting to make me a bit nervous that we're on the verge of another bear market.

Just today, the reasoning du-jur from MarketWatch for the nearly 300 point drop was "Treasury Yields are DOWN - which isn't good for stocks" (??).

The other day it was "Treasury Yields are UP and approaching 2.9% - the magic number at which stocks will fall due to lower risk alternatives".

Seems like there is literally nothing - not better than expected retail #s, better than expected employment #s, treasury yields up, treasury yields down, that is moving the market up - or even letting us stay reasonably level.

The net is that this market is starting to act like a balloon slowly leaking air..how much air it leaks is anyone's guess, but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to hit sequence of returns risk head on right in the first year of retirement..

I'd planned to dial back equity exposure (currently less than 50% of my retirement kitty) around 26,000 or so - and never got around to it. We did "some" equity exposure reduction with a rollover of wife's 401K that's currently in transit, so at least that part of the portfolio is in cash and not yet re-invested. At this point, we will probably put it in CDs and use the interest payments to at least partly fund early retirement..

We could convert heavily to cash and be "fine" for a long time. The odds of either of us living to 90+ are next to zero given family histories and overall health. So, it's a bit of a gamble in and of itself but the market is a place I'm increasingly not enjoying being at the moment this close to ER, and I think the near-term (next 1-3 years) upside is increasingly looking to not have the kind of risk/reward ratio that makes continued investing during this period healthy. (Sure, if you have 10+ years - go for it..but for those of us nearing ER, a big part of the portfolio in cash earning 2-2.5% is not a bad place to be..all JMHO of course, and I do realize it barely keeps up with inflation..but far better than watching the air leak from the balloon constantly also..)
Pretty normal market volatility lately Id say but if you don’t need to take the risk, don’t.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:

Every single day there is a reason du jour. If the headline writers actually understood what made the market move each and every day, they'd quit writing headlines and trade full-time. It's noise.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:24 pm

mega317 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm
RetireBy55 wrote:

Every single day there is a reason du jour. If the headline writers actually understood what made the market move each and every day, they'd quit writing headlines and trade full-time. It's noise.
Right, the notion of trying to pin a market change, up or down, on a single cause is flawed at the outset.

If you sold today, it would be because you thought (something) and that selling would be the right choice for you because (something else.)

If your neighbor sold today their reasons would include (something different) and that their choice was best because (some other reason.)

Meanwhile, if I was the one buying your shares my reason would be (whatever I happened to think at the moment, which was clearly different than what the above sellers thought.)

And the institutional traders have other reasons yet again, and the high-frequency bots follow yet different logic.

It's a huge messy mess. It's the market.
Semper Augustus

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Everybody has a rear-view mirror; and not all of them are alike.

Nobody has a crystal ball.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:

Yeah I understand it sucks for those who are near retirement.

I think news on the market, which drive day-to-day fluctuation, is not as important as valuation. We're at high valuation now and the outlook for return of the next decade will be low. Prepare for that.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm

RetireBy55:

I bailed in October. Missed out on some gains, but don't regret it at all.

I don't want to go thru another potential 40%-50% decline since I'm already retired.

Pretty sure I have enough $$ now.

Also seems likely (IMO) that equities will be available at lower prices sometime in the future. Although I could be wrong. I often am. But that's okay.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm
RetireBy55:

I don't want to go thru another potential 40%-50% decline since I'm already retired.

Also seems likely (IMO) that equities will be available at lower prices sometime in the future. Although I could be wrong. I often am. But that's okay.
So you are still in cash?

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:58 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm
RetireBy55:

Equities were available at lower prices in the recent past, as recently as last month.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm

. . . I bailed in October. Missed out on some gains, but don't regret it at all . . .
And I remain 100 percent invested . . . with no regrets at all.

To everyone IN or OUT of the market, good luck (my signature applies).

Gracias por leer ~cfs~

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I am 50% invested 50% in cash earning interest. Got best of both. Market up, I am 1/2 as good. Market water fall, it' even better for me.

walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm
I am 50% invested 50% in cash earning interest. Got best of both. Market up, I am 1/2 as good. Market water fall, it' even better for me.
I am in a similar situation, but not because of the market being high or anything... I am in two minds whether I should upgrade to a bigger house when I can afford one, so keeping cash towards potential down payment. Worst case, it will act as dry powder when/if market corrects; best case I will use it to buy a house and rent out my current 2b townhouse.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm
Indeed.

Was 80/20.

Went 30/70 in Oct.

Then went 20/80 at the end of January when everyone was posting their 401k statements on Facebook.

I'm just fine with equities rising FOREVER. But even better if they decline 75%.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:00 pm

My long term AA would be 80/20. But now, I am 50/50.

rudeboy

Post by rudeboy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm putting my faith in the Boglehead philosophy by buying whenever I can, regardless of price or valuations. Just dropped more in today. We shall see...

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:00 pm
Heh. Haven't you read yet that market-timing is difficult?

My long-term AA is 50/50. And I'm 50/50.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm

rudeboy wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm
. . . Just dropped more in today . . .
Good for buying during a down day . . . now, you just don't want me to "drop more in" because as soon as I do it Miss Market will go down big time for a couple of days. Good luck with your investments, y gracias por leer ~cfs~

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm
...when everyone was posting their 401k statements on Facebook.
So tacky.

Perhaps the modern day equivalent of the shoeshine boys giving stock tips?

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:

Same here. Was 100% stock until about five years ago, went to 60/40 at that point, then to 50/50 at retirement (January of last year), am still at 50/50 with no plans to change. That AA fits our need and ability to take risk, so we’re good to go.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

MJW wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
So tacky.

Flaunting 401k statements on Facebook is beyond stupidity...

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm

thangngo wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm
MJW wrote:
DanMahowny wrote:
So tacky.

I've never seen that on Facebook...

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm

lostdog wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
thangngo wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm
MJW wrote:
DanMahowny wrote:
So tacky.

I've never seen that on Facebook...
Few articles showing it on Twitter. Some people try to make it intelligent and discuss the delta between contributions and total, but I can’t imagine what response they think they’re getting. I’d cringe if I saw a friend post that.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Say what? People posting their investment statements on Facebook and Twitter? The good thing, I do no Facebook, I do no Twitter (no accounts), just like the 7-UP "never had it, never will." Big Bro is watching you, careful out there, y gracias por leer ~cfs~

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:

Same here. Was 100% stock until about five years ago, went to 60/40 at that point, then to 50/50 at retirement (January of last year), am still at 50/50 with no plans to change. That AA fits our need and ability to take risk, so we’re good to go.
You guys sound a lot like market timers.