U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
EyeYield

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by EyeYield » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 pm
I remember when this was my favorite thread on the BH forums.
Stay the course in posting as well as investing, folks!
I've learned a lot about many of the posters in this thread over the past couple of days. They are expert on identifying daily market movements, explaining why they moved and how to best react to those movements.

Contrary to one of Jack Bogle's most popular memes, it seems "everybody knows everything". :annoyed
Last edited by EyeYield on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

jainn

Post by jainn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 pm

jainn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 pm
fanmail wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 pm
Aaaaand, the beat goes on... as of 9:35 PM Eastern, Australia is down almost 3%, Japan is down over 5%, and U.S. S&P 500 e-mini is down a percent and a half. Looks like tuck and roll tomorrow.
:shock:
SP futures closed this afternoon 1.5 below the index so that 1.5% move down, which is now 2% btw, is implying a larger drop in the index,~3.5% now.

Similarly, Dow futures are 1000 points lower than the index close today.

Our IPS has us moving 5% of our total assets from bonds to equities tomorrow, if SP500 is @ 2550 (this is 11% pullback from all time highs). We always place our Exchange/Sell order with Vanguard a few minutes before the close...we will be watching. :beer

According to CNBC at 11:37pm EST, https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/ - DOW futures are down 1200 points and SP500 is at 2533 right now, past our line in the sand to make the exchange tomorrow. A lot can change though over the next 17 hours...the more teeth gritting decision, relatively speaking, will be to move another 5% from bonds to equities if it drops further (20% from all time highs) to bear market territory at 2300. It will be more emotional, but will focus on being objective, and not subjective...I continue to remind myself of the fact that all we want to live on is the equity dividends plus selling 1% of our equity shares per year, and to look at the long-term as it relates to having the portfolio last many decades, and not be fearful of the short-term share price fluctuations.

Jainn
Futures recovered overnight from the -1200 when we went to sleep, and by 4pm EST, DOW closed up 500 points. No exchange of 5% of our portfolio occurred. Now with SP500 @ 2695...it is only 5% below all time highs...has to drop another 145 points for us to move 5% of our portfolio into equities. Either way we are happy...stocks move up...our portfolio balance rises...stocks move down..we rebalance and consider the rebalance adding long-term value buying equites on "sale"...until then the 5% of our overall portfolio we use as our tactical buy/sell continues to be part of our bond allocation earning daily interest... :sharebeer

fanmail

Post by fanmail » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 am

Some pretty wild swings in the market. Guessing we will see continued choppiness and volatility, which has been absent for so long. Surprised at the resiliency of the market after the 10% plus sell-off in a few days.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm

The only thing that was amusing to me so far was the people's reaction to recent events...I did not expect that.

However, I have to say, even I find the daily volatility amusing - this is the first time I've even bothered to look. So, I find that quite interesting!

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm deeply amused that folks on this thread seem to view this thread like the majority of folks view the stock market - paying too much attention to the noise. See these two posts and similar:
EyeYield wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm
I've learned a lot about many of the posters in this thread over the past couple of days. They are expert on identifying daily market movements, explaining why they moved and how to best react to those movements.

Contrary to one of Jack Bogle's most popular memes, it seems "everybody knows everything". :annoyed
gilgamesh wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm
The only thing that was amusing to me so far was the people's reaction to recent events...I did not expect that.

However, I have to say, even I find the daily volatility amusing - this is the first time I've even bothered to look. So, I find that quite interesting!
I've been seeing these posts complaining how "not Bogleheady" or "how jittery" everyone is. So I did some math. I started counting posts from January 29th (most recent little blip):

Posts where someone stated they were buying: 26
Posts where someone stated they were selling: 0
Posts where someone SPECIFICALLY said they weren't doing/changing anything: 76
Other posts where no one discussed what they were doing: 576

Seeing as most people doing nothing are unlikely to post "I did nothing" when it's much more satisfying to make jokes, we can assume the number of people who actually did nothing is much greater. Most of the folks buying were people who doubled up on Roth contributions on their paycheck, or finally got around to opening their Roth for the year, or put a little more in to their taxable. There were a few people with some cash on the sidelines, and none of them went all in though some folks who had been DCA-ing in a lump sump increased their DCA amount. I even counted folks who reported hitting their rebalancing bands as "buying" and this is still what you get. I did NOT count people mentioning their normal paycheck investments going in as scheduled (but they didn't get counted as doing nothing unless they specifically said they were doing nothing).

There were probably more posts quoting Airplane! than there were people doing any kind of buying. So don't pay attention to the noise, including on this thread.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Perhaps some members have it in their IPS to stir the pot on the Bogleheads forum whenever there is turbulence in the market. :wink:

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

An Amazing Revelation

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

I've been seeing these posts complaining how "not Bogleheady" or "how jittery" everyone is. So I did some math. I started counting posts from January 29th (most recent little blip):

Engineer250:

Thank you for going to so much trouble to show us what Bogleheads are doing during this time of market turmoil.

I find it very reassuring to see that "0%" said they were selling. This forum is doing its job of teaching investors the wisdom of our mentor, Jack Bogle, who wrote: "Stay the course. It is the single most important piece of advice I can give you."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Many years ago in a prior lifetime which was filled with evil stock picking I used to panic and also mistakingly believe I was smarter than the markets. As such, when volatility hit, I traded even more often. The result was a large increase in fees, additional tax reporting and complexity, additional taxes, and less capital to invest.

Thank you Jack Bogle and Vanguard.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm

seems pretty evident markets are terrified of interest rates rising ... considering re-upping my cash position while this volatility / downturn works itself out.

or just keep investing monthly since nobody knows anything ... yeah, probably that.

GoldenFinch

Re: An Amazing Revelation

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Engineer250:

Thank you for going to so much trouble to show us what Bogleheads are doing during this time of market turmoil.

I find it very reassuring to see that "0%" said they were selling. This forum is doing its job of teaching investors the wisdom of our mentor, Jack Bogle, who wrote: "Stay the course. It is the single most important piece of advice I can give you."

Best wishes.
Taylor

Yes, and reading and posting here gives us an opportunity to do something while we do nothing! Works out nicely. :happy

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Wily Mr. Market is setting us up. Giving us a good scare and crying "wolf" with these sharp drops and then whiplashing back up. So, the next time we'll all be sitting there smiling and rebalancing into equities like crazy people waiting for the snapback. Then the bottom will drop out and we'll all head for Flush City. :shock:
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

JimmyJammy

Post by JimmyJammy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Aren't these drops and bouts of volatility useful for determining your asset allocation?

I mean, what determines your stock:bond ratio? Isn't it about how much risk you want to tolerate? It seems this recent dip has been a good way to test people's risk tolerance. Or are people determining their ratios in other ways?

For me, the current climate has made me think that my current 11% bond allocation is a little light. I think I'd like to to up it to 20%. What kinds of bonds is another question.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Engineer250 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Thank you for the sum up!

I'm part of the buyer group. I just cut some discretionary expense and bought equity on sale. This is an advantage of having a budget :greedy

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

thangngo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Engineer250 wrote:

Thank you for the sum up!

I'm part of the buyer group. I just cut some discretionary expense and bought equity on sale. This is an advantage of having a budget :greedy
I wanted to be part of the buyer group, but didn't get my numbers calculated in time to figure out what an appropriate re-balance/over-balance trade would be. Definitely didn't consider selling.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Buy American. I Am.

Time to bring back this classic, by The Oracle of Omaha.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/opini ... ffett.html

Thanks for reading ~cfs~

p.s. Rise your hand if you are NOT selling.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm

cfs wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm
Buy American. I Am.

Thanks for reading ~cfs~

That's a nice OpEd from Mr. Buffett, thanks for the link.

We are not selling, other than Required Minimum Distributions proportionately from all the funds in my rollover IRA. This will not change the asset allocation.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Engineer250 wrote:
I'm deeply amused that folks on this thread seem to view this thread like the majority of folks view the stock market - paying too much attention to the noise. See these two posts and similar:
EyeYield wrote:

gilgamesh wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Seeing as most people doing nothing are unlikely to post "I did nothing" when it's much more satisfying to make jokes, we can assume the number of people who actually did nothing is much greater. Most of the folks buying were people who doubled up on Roth contributions on their paycheck, or finally got around to opening their Roth for the year, or put a little more in to their taxable. There were a few people with some cash on the sidelines, and none of them went all in though some folks who had been DCA-ing in a lump sump increased their DCA amount. I even counted folks who reported hitting their rebalancing bands as "buying" and this is still what you get. I did NOT count people mentioning their normal paycheck investments going in as scheduled (but they didn't get counted as doing nothing unless they specifically said they were doing nothing).

There were probably more posts quoting Airplane! than there were people doing any kind of buying. So don't pay attention to the noise, including on this thread.
That's 4% who thought it was actionable.

Again I've never bothered to look at these micro movements and micro events...talking about micro events, another thing caught my attention. I was surprised how the USA stock market pretty much told the whole world how they should react - bizarre...again its an observation that spanned a max 1 wk, lol... absolutely irrelevant, but peakeded my interest, that's all.

No matter what, these micro-observations of mine has no actionable impact on me...none!...but still amusing no matter how small the sample may be (thus being totally irrelevant)...I'm just discussing a thought without accepting it, ever!

Just irrelevant micro-observations that could/would/is 100% wrong, but nonetheless amusing.
Last edited by gilgamesh on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm

cfs wrote:
Buy American. I Am.

Thanks for reading ~cfs~

Warren Buffett has over a hundred billion in cash with which he is not (currently) buying American (equities).
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

software

Post by software » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 pm

triceratop wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm
cfs wrote:
Buy American. I Am.

Thanks for reading ~cfs~

Warren Buffett has over a hundred billion in cash with which he is not (currently) buying American (equities).
The article talks about his personal holdings, not any holdings through Berkshire Hathaway, so the 100B doesn't really apply here. Still, the point stands that investing advice from a billionaire should be taken with a grain of salt. Buffet isn't going hungry if his personal account runs dry that is for sure.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I wish a moderator would put this 7 year old thread out of its misery and lock it.

Cosmo

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 pm
I wish a moderator would put this 7 year old thread out of its misery and lock it.

Cosmo
1.2 million views? I'd say that many others have enjoyed it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

thangngo wrote:
This really isn't much of a sale....
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm
thangngo wrote:
This really isn't much of a sale....
Exactly. Equities went up over several years, went way up in a few months, which scared investors, then dropped back to levels from a few months ago. Way too volatile to make big moves IMHO. Stay the course.
A fool and his money are very easily parted - Anonymous

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Cosmo wrote:

Cosmo
You’re the only one.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Was going to TLH....oh wait....never mind. Not down any more

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 pm

cfs wrote:
. . .Time to bring back this classic, by The Oracle of Omaha . . .
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm
. . .
That's a nice OpEd from Mr. Buffett, thanks for the link . . .
triceratop wrote:
. . .Warren Buffett has over a hundred billion in cash with which he is not (currently) buying American (equities) . . .
software wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 pm
. . .The article talks about his personal holdings . . .
Thanks shipmates for your comments . . . Reminder, the op ed is from 2008.

Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Case59

Post by Case59 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm
Cosmo wrote:

Cosmo
You’re the only one.
Ditto. This thread is a classic, plus the perspective on the many ups and occasional downs of the last few years is very useful, IMO.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Bitcoin jokes are almost transferable to S&P swings...

Son: Dad I'd like $100 in S&P 500 stocks for my birthday
Dad: $92? Why do you need $107 for? :D

Volatility...

rerod

Post by rerod » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

triceratop wrote:
Mostly in short term treasuries.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:49 pm

rerod wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm
triceratop wrote:
He is waiting opportunity, sort of market timing.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

gilgamesh wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Volatility...
Except, in the current situation, it's more like Dad: "$96, why do you need $99.80," which makes a point but kind of kills the humor.

Good Dad's give their kids S&P 500 shares. (I think a lot of us have actually done this) :sharebeer
"Bad" Dad's give their kids Bitcoin.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm
gilgamesh wrote:

Volatility...
Except, in the current situation, it's more like Dad: "$96, why do you need $99.80," which makes a point but kind of kills the humor.

Good Dad's give their kids S&P 500 shares. (I think a lot of us have actually done this) :sharebeer
I’d have loved if pops gave me $100 worth of BTC in 2010.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm
gilgamesh wrote:

Volatility...

I’d have loved if pops gave me $100 worth of BTC in 2010.
Fathers should set good examples, not bad examples. :annoyed

kappy

Post by kappy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm

I'd have loved it if grandpa had given me $100 of S&P 500 instead of EE bonds :oops:

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am

Cosmo wrote:
If you don't like it, why read it? It's not like there's a shortage of other threads.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am
Cosmo wrote:
If you don't like it, why read it? It's not like there's a shortage of other threads.
You don't have to read a thread to be annoyed by it - it gets bumped to the top whenever someone posts in it and there is no ability to "hide" threads. In this respect I think Reddit has an edge in design thanks to its "hide" button.

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 am

Engineer250 wrote:
EyeYield wrote:

You quoted me in your response, but I don't see any correlation between your post and mine. I never mentioned how many responders bought, sold or did nothing. I did nothing and as your research shows, most did nothing also. Great.
How am I paying too much attention to the noise, unless it's the noise from this thread?
Care to elaborate?

My response had to do with the 7 plus pages over 1 plus days due to a one day drop and the responses from many, not most, Bogleheads about the reasons: whether this is a blip or not, if this will continue, are international and bonds truly diversifiers, questioning Boglehead principles, jobs report, wages rose, rate hikes, the economy too not, treasury yields, cash, xxx month/day moving averages, flash crash, Eagles, buying the dip, after hours prices, futures, valuations, and many more.
Yes, this was noise and I was momentarily annoyed by it. So?
Maybe it was out of sync with the general lightheartedness of this thread and that offended you? Sorry.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am

I used the last week to "nudge" my AA back to my desired level I want to be at 40/60 but it had been sitting at 36/64. I'll look again next year and see where it is then.
On a bright note I lowered my company stock from 15% to 0.5%, over the last year. :D

Christine600

Post by Christine600 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 am

david1082b wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
You don't have to read a thread to be annoyed by it - it gets bumped to the top whenever someone posts in it and there is no ability to "hide" threads. In this respect I think Reddit has an edge in design thanks to its "hide" button.
In that case the proper action is to approach the site admins with your wish for added functionality - not close a thread that many of us enjoy.

Greg in Idaho

Post by Greg in Idaho » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 am

Christine600 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 am
david1082b wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
In that case the proper action is to approach the site admins with your wish for added functionality - not close a thread that many of us enjoy.
Perhaps we can start a 'tit for tat' thread?

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

Most of the time, this thread resurfacing is my only indicator that the markets have gone down presenting a possible buying opportunity.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am

Crushtheturtle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.
I stop drinking every day until 5pm when I change my mind again.

Looks like we will get to the correction range today possibly. I’m not doing anything but letting my new (her 401K and his 457B) money go towards equities.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:09 am

Media bear market fear mongering in full effect

The end is near ... until it isn’t. Seems like people are terrified of what we all knew was coming - interest rates ^

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:49 pm
rerod wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm
triceratop wrote:
He is waiting opportunity, sort of market timing.
Modeling your AA after a billionaire is unwise. Buffett buys whole companies, or majority shares in companies. For personal investing he has repeatedly recommended staying in the market, in index funds.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 am

ofcmetz wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am
Crushtheturtle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.
Looks like we will get to the correction range today possibly.
Still a ways off the previous minimum of this sell-off, no?

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:18 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am
Modeling your AA after a billionaire is unwise. Buffett buys whole companies, or majority shares in companies. For personal investing he has repeatedly recommended staying in the market, in index funds.
While I agree with your main point, he buys minority shares too. They own 0.01% to 27.25% of a wide array of public companies. e.g. they own 2.6% of Apple...

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am

Anyone else buying today, or trying to avoid catching a falling knife?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am
Waiting for the bottom ;)

Faisal

Post by Faisal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 am

And market is down again by roughly 2%. Expected more volatility till the Fed makes a decision on interest rates?

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 am

2Birds1Stone wrote:
fantasytensai wrote:
Waiting for the bottom ;)
Keeping powder dry.

(just kidding, felt like adding a cliche to the chain)