U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Toons

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by Toons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 pm

The more it changes,
The more it remains the Same :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm

cashmoney wrote:
flyingaway wrote:This might be the correction that many people are waiting for. Let us see if they have the courage to jump in.

It just so happens that my managed account at Fidelity was liquidated Monday and the funds( 460k ) are finally available finally available today in my self directed account so I can start my 3 ETF portfolio( 70/30) at Fidelity .On one shoulder there is that little voice that is saying go all in right now dont even think about market timing and on the other shoulder there is a little voice telling me to wait until tomorrow ,monday or tuesday.... because this is the correction we have been waiting for.What to do?
One option is to put in x% per day or week or month, and essentially DCA your way in using anywhere from 6 to perhaps 15 transactions (3 funds * number of investment 'events'). The broker trading fees will be a one-time cost with each trade unless you are using the no fee funds/etfs, but you can decide if you feel the trading fee is material; I believe it's pretty tiny.

I've never had that much to deploy at one time, so I'm not trying to give advice, just maybe point out an option. Everyone has their own comfort point. The most important thing is that you can sleep comfortably with your decision. Best of luck!
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm

3rdSun wrote:Actually, if you want to know why the markets are down so much today, it is because I put a lot of money in yesterday. :annoyed
Oh, you're the one! Grrrr! :annoyed

:D

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Selling company stock soon. Perfect chance to spend some excess cash on VTI/VXUS!

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

The definition of "freefall" certainty has changed since this thread started.

Compare the percentage drop from the OP to what it is today.

Thinking that today's movement is an actionable event proves Mr Bogle was right in my quote below.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 pm

EyeYield wrote:The definition of "freefall" certainty has changed since this thread started.

Compare the percentage drop from the OP to what it is today.

Thinking that today's movement is an actionable event proves Mr Bogle was right in my quote below.
No, no, I mustn't explain. . . . Must resist. . . . No hints allowed. . . . :wink:

ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:Selling company stock soon. Perfect chance to spend some excess cash on VTI/VXUS!
I am so tempted to buy my next month scheduled purchase of it today! That's the only index I've been buying this year (still not on target for international) so it would be just a prepurchase so to speak but not sure it's a wise decision

grettman

Post by grettman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 pm

It will be interesting to see how this thread and the one that talks about how much people are up YTD evolves when we have a nice healthy plunge in the markets.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm

grettman wrote:It will be interesting to see how this thread and the one that talks about how much people are up YTD evolves when we have a nice healthy plunge in the markets.
Just wait for the TLH threads to start appearing again.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:37 pm

livesoft wrote:
grettman wrote:It will be interesting to see how this thread and the one that talks about how much people are up YTD evolves when we have a nice healthy plunge in the markets.
TLH? tlhIngan Hol? We have Klingon Bogleheads? Who knew?!? :wink:

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 pm

"This is the big one! You hear that, Elizabeth? I'm coming to join ya, honey!"

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

parsi1 wrote:"This is the big one! You hear that, Elizabeth? I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
Now stop that! You literally brought tears to my eyes. :D

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh goody. The thread has popped up again. That usually means a market rally.
A fool and his money are good for business.

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Lenny Bruce is not afraid, and neither am I.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 pm

nedsaid wrote:Oh goody. The thread has popped up again. That usually means a market rally.
This time might be different because of the reason behind the stock's falling.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

flyingaway wrote:
nedsaid wrote:Oh goody. The thread has popped up again. That usually means a market rally.
Or it could just be that stocks are on a discount right now. Only time will tell.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm

flyingaway wrote:This might be the correction that many people are waiting for. Let us see if they have the courage to jump in.
Yes, we've plunged all the way back to July!
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm

3rdSun wrote:Actually, if you want to know why the markets are down so much today, it is because I put a lot of money in yesterday. :annoyed
It’s actually because I’m planning on making a lump sum investment of a windfall later next week. I apologize in advance, but the market is just going to have to go down by ~10% before then. (I’m very selfish about these things.)
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:14 pm

lostdog wrote:Time in the market is better than timing the market.
Unless that time was today!! (which of course we now know because today is in the rearview mirror) :greedy
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:Yes, we've plunged all the way back to July!
To find a bigger one day drop than today, you'd have to go back to May of 2017!

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 pm

I think I'm just going to move everything into Treasuries and Toilet Paper.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm

BanditKing wrote:I think I'm just going to move everything into Treasuries and Toilet Paper.
60/40 seems about right to me.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
BanditKing wrote:I think I'm just going to move everything into Treasuries and Toilet Paper.
60/40 seems about right to me.
Might need to be 40/60 if Demolition Man turns out to be true and the only restaurant left is Taco Bell.

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm

The only way I know the market is dropping is when this bounces to the top.
Thanks for the news flash.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

dh

Post by dh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:02 pm

sreynard wrote:

Please keep this thread going. It's my favorite. I am having surgery tomorrow at noon, feeling stressed, yet just reading this thread made me laugh so hard tears were streaming out. Thanks Bogleheads! In addition to great financial sense, Bogleheads have a great sense of humor.
dh
P.S. I knew if was 3rdSun that crashed the market, I just didn't want to out him/her. Glad 3rdSun stepped up and confessed!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

In my heart, I'd like to see stock price drop every day for some time, so that I could buy cheaper stocks before my retirement.

On the other hand, rising stock price every day does make me feel happy. I guess this is the feeling of drug. You know it is bad, but you want it.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
TLH opportunities and equities on sale = a beautiful thing.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I just completed a transfer in kind to earn a brokerage transfer bonus. I'm glad the transfer completed before the measurement contest started, because that might have knocked me down a bonus tier.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm 26. Will ride this out and buy more for cheap :)

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:51 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Ya, this time is always different. :oops:

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

dh wrote:
sreynard wrote:

Please keep this thread going. It's my favorite. I am having surgery tomorrow at noon, feeling stressed, yet just reading this thread made me laugh so hard tears were streaming out. Thanks Bogleheads! In addition to great financial sense, Bogleheads have a great sense of humor.
dh
P.S. I knew if was 3rdSun that crashed the market, I just didn't want to out him/her. Glad 3rdSun stepped up and confessed!
Good luck dh!!! Come back soon and tell us it all went swimmingly. :sharebeer

(You're not supposed to let on its comedy. Shhhh! There are still some people that take it very seriously.)
Last edited by sreynard on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 pm

sreynard wrote:
flyingaway wrote:
Ya, this time is always different. :oops:
This thread has been a pretty good contrary indicator. The only time it didn't work was when the US Stock Market barely touched bear market territory in a 20% correction. From memory, it seemed that the correction lasted from about August 2015 into February 2016. Markets recovered from there.

It seems that whenever the thread pops up, the markets rally within a day or two. Of course, a "Stocks in Freefall" thread on an internet forum is not going to move the markets. But I have joked about this thread as a contrary indicator and most of the time, it has worked like a charm. I have had a lot of fun with this but really the markets will do what the markets will do regardless of what people post here.
A fool and his money are good for business.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Consumer Staples down only -.43% today. Of course it is still lagging S&P YTD.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Wait, did he mean invest in toilet paper as in those companies' stocks, or as in Doomsday Preppers? :twisted:

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
aristotelian wrote:
Wait, did he mean invest in toilet paper as in those companies' stocks, or as in Doomsday Preppers? :twisted:
I think the latter, but he can't be the only one thinking that way, so there is an opportunity. :moneybag :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I removed a few off-topic posts. Please stay on-topic, which is the investing aspect.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm

dh wrote: Please keep this thread going. It's my favorite. I am having surgery tomorrow at noon, feeling stressed, yet just reading this thread made me laugh so hard tears were streaming out. Thanks Bogleheads! In addition to great financial sense, Bogleheads have a great sense of humor.
dh
Good luck to you dh!

We will know the freefall is really happening when Uncle Pennybags weighs in. Usually he's first here when things go South.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 pm

I want Santa Claus to bring us a thread for all the posters who say "I hope the market goes down so I can buy more," and Santa makes it mandatory that they post weekly updates on their transactions until the market is definitely headed north again. I think that would be more entertaining and educational than this thread, which I absolutely love!

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

jb1 wrote:I'm 26. Will ride this out and buy more for cheap :)
26 as well. While I get your sentiment, I am cannot help but think this way of thinking is misguided. Cheap relative to what? To market open? To your risk tolerance? I am sure our time will come when these beliefs will be put to the test and such a statement will not be as easy.

jimnicol

Post by jimnicol » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Let's hope you don't get wiped out :)

SLHI

Post by SLHI » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 pm

I always imagined a stock freefall to be more dramatic than 1.5% =P

simmias

Post by simmias » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 pm

You guys are poking the bear, in a manner of speaking.

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 pm

7 trading days between now and the great US solar eclipse! :shock:

http://www.astrologicalinvesting.com/ht ... ipses.html
Ok, So It's An Eclipse...What Readers On This Website Really Want To Know Is
"How Will An Eclipse Potentially Impact The Financial Market?"

[Content in excess of copyright fair use removed by admin LadyGeek]

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
aristotelian wrote:
Maybe a little of both?

Actually, late last year I added a 20% equity tilt towards consumer goods via the ETF VDC in my Roth. Historically, it seems to have taken less of a hit in a drawdown, so it felt like a good long-term bet. Everyone needs toilet paper and tooth paste, even in a crappy economy. :)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks MnD, about the astrology of the stock market, given The Eclipse :wink:

Here... look... my FAVORITE type of prediction:

""If <whatever> is impacted by the solar eclipse it may or may not influence the price of the stock."
[emphasis added]

These guys are GOOD!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Can we have some fun with this thread? I bet tomorrow will be another down day.

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 pm

ResearchMed wrote:Thanks MnD, about the astrology of the stock market, given The Eclipse :wink:

Here... look... my FAVORITE type of prediction:

""If <whatever> is impacted by the solar eclipse it may or may not influence the price of the stock."
[emphasis added]

These guys are GOOD!

RM
It has begun..........

Near the date of the eclipse, before and after, there is a marked increase in volatility. Eclipses have coincided with market reversals in either direction.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 pm

My kittens tell me that Toilet Paper is not a stable investment.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 am

flyingaway wrote:Can we have some fun with this thread? I bet tomorrow will be another down day.

I bet it will be an up day. :sharebeer

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 am

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
flyingaway wrote:Can we have some fun with this thread? I bet tomorrow will be another down day.

I bet it will be an up day. :sharebeer
I bet that I will wake up, and it will be tomorrow.
Gordon