U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Browser

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 am

livesoft wrote:
Browser wrote:Those occurred on 1/24/2014, 2/2/2014, and 4/10/2014, which illustrates the fact that bad days tend to cluster.

What? No, those dates do NOT illustrate any tendency to cluster. There may be other dates that illustrate that, but not those dates.

There is clear evidence of the clustering of market losses, shown by looking at the rolling average of down days over given time periods, such as the following:

In the chart above, you’ll notice that the cumulative total of 3%+ down days often spikes nearly vertically from zero, meaning that large down days tend to cluster.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-20/origin-crashes-clustering-large-losses

No, the fact that the 3 largest losses of the S&P since Jan 1, 2014 occurred within a 4-month window between Jan - April is not overwhelming "proof" of clustering, but it is somewhat typical. The frequency of large down days is not randomly distributed. I wouldn't necessarily assume the the absence of large losses over the last 14 months is reassuring, or that the 2%+ loss yesterday is just a one-off event. Large loss days are in fact relatively infrequent and when they occur they have a tendency to run together or cluster.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Browser wrote:... Used both the price and total return data from Yahoo and they agree.

What's the Yahoo finance ticker symbol for the S&P 500 Total Return? I couldn't find it.

Indexes are highly proprietary, as I couldn't find the S&P 500 total return index on the public S&P 500® website, either. However, data is available from MarketWatch.com:

- S&P 500 Total Return Index
- S&P 500 Index

They don't make this easy. Comparing performance (June 30, 2014 to June 30, 2015) shows:

S&P 500 TR = 7.2% = (3809.64 / 3552.18) - 1
S&P 500 = 5.1% = (2061.05 / 1960.23) - 1

The current numbers are updated in real time. However, the total return is higher by about 2%.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:20 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Browser wrote:... Used both the price and total return data from Yahoo and they agree.

What's the Yahoo finance ticker symbol for the S&P 500 Total Return? I couldn't find it.

Indexes are highly proprietary, as I couldn't find the S&P 500 total return index on the public S&P 500® website, either. However, data is available from MarketWatch.com:

- S&P 500 Index

They don't make this easy. Comparing performance (June 30, 2014 to June 30, 2015) shows:

The current numbers are updated in real time. However, the total return is higher by about 2%.

^GSPC is the SP500 index. Yahoo returns shows both the closing price and the adjusted close, which is the price adjusted for dividends, etc - i.e., the total return. As I mentioned, I actually used SPY and not the index.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:44 pm

You used SPY as a proxy for the index benchmark. Maybe that's the difference.

I don't see any difference between the Close and Adjusted Close price for ^GSPC. Based on the MoneyWatch.com numbers, there should be a 2% difference.

Yahoo's help: About historical prices
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Browser wrote:There is clear evidence of the clustering of market losses, shown by looking at the rolling average of down days over given time periods, such as the following:
[ chart removed ]

I would not be surprised if you made a chart of the rolling average of 3% up days over given time periods if the chart was very similar to the one shown for down days. That is, significant up and down days are "clustered" together, are they not?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:53 pm

LadyGeek wrote:You used SPY as a proxy for the index benchmark. Maybe that's the difference.

I don't see any difference between the Close and Adjusted Close price for ^GSPC. Based on the MoneyWatch.com numbers, there should be a 2% difference.

Yahoo's help: About historical prices

Looks like ^GSPC is the symbol for the S&P500 index option traded on the CBOE. As such, it probably represents the value of the S&P based on total returns; that's why there isn't any difference - Close already incorporates total return value. However, if you look at SPY, there is a difference between returns based on Close and those based on Adj Close as you would expect. You won't see that except by calculating the return between certain dates using both sets of data.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm

FWIW, when I used the Close for ^GSPC (same as the Adj Close) with Yahoo data, I find that the declines for the two dates in dispute were greater than 2%; so using those data this is in agreement with Rick: there have been 6 declines exceeding 2% since 1/1/2014 including the last decline on 6/29/2015.

Vega

Post by Vega » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Anyone else notice there was no volume today? No ones trading.
15% Large Cap, 30% Mid Cap, 15% REIT, 10% EM, 25% LT Bond, 5% TIPs

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 pm

ZumZabo wrote:
jhfenton wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
walletless wrote:bump :D

I scratch my head every time I see someone bump this thread for a 1% - 2% drop.

Is it because some people on this thread actually consider 1% a free fall? Or is it that we are making fun of the media going crazy over a 1% drop?

I assume it's the latter. Neither the folks bumping it or the folks responding ever sound panicked. I take it as a joke, and an invitation to discuss whatever news is triggering the noise, if there is obvious news triggering the noise.

+1
I think this thread is hilarious every time it resurfaces. It's amusing but it also gives perspective. It evokes comments from some seasoned pros that help less seasoned investors see the benefits of staying the course.

I posit that this thread will last as long as well-intentioned, fun-loving, stay-the-course folks are around.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
Browser wrote:There is clear evidence of the clustering of market losses, shown by looking at the rolling average of down days over given time periods, such as the following:
[ chart removed ]

I would not be surprised if you made a chart of the rolling average of 3% up days over given time periods if the chart was very similar to the one shown for down days. That is, significant up and down days are "clustered" together, are they not?

You are correct, Grasshopper.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Chart of number of 2% down days in rolling 6-month periods since 2000. Illustrates the clustering of down days and also shows market complacency. Since the beginning of 2012 there hasn't been any 6-month period in which there were more than three 2% down days. How long will that persist?

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/commentaries/20150630-gavekal-capital-s-p-500-suffers-first-2-down-day-since-end-of-2014

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Browser wrote:Chart of number of 2% down days in rolling 6-month periods since 2000. Illustrates the clustering of down days and also shows market complacency. Since the beginning of 2012 there hasn't been any 6-month period in which there were more than three 2% down days. How long will that persist?

So what you are saying, is when the market goes down through a recession / bear market / correction .... there is an increase in the number of days that the market closes with large losses? That is a shocking discovery!

:oops:

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 pm

My bar for July is green and above the line; I'm glad that "free fall" is over. :greedy

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am

CNBC, July 8, 2015
Trading in all symbols was temporarily halted on the New York Stock Exchange floor Wednesday due to an apparent technical issue.

"NYSE/NYSE MKT has temporarily suspended trading in all symbols. Additional information will follow as soon as possible," the NYSE said in a statement on its status page.

The exchange was investigating the issue that caused the halt, Reuters reported, citing a source. Trading stopped around 11:30 a.m. ET.

The NYSE said all open orders would be cancelled, according to Reuters.
Yeah, yeah. "Apparent technical issue?" Do they expect us to believe that? :twisted:

(Trading in all symbols? This is a job for Robert Langdon, Professor of Symbology! Now we know what Dan Brown's next conspiracy thriller will be about).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 am

We have arrived at Freefall Land at last!

LRonHalfelven

Post by LRonHalfelven » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:27 am

The changeover to symbols may be what's causing all the trouble. For example, if you're trying to buy The ETF Formerly Known As VTI but you draw the loop with the arrow pointing to the the left instead of the right, you end up ordering The Stock Formerly Known As BRK.A.
"If you change your strategy frequently you don't really have one." --Garry Kasparov

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am

I think it's a Chinese hack. They wanted some company on the trip to Freefall Land...

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 am

Situation normal in the USA.

Now, China is a different story. Chinese shares have fallen more than 30 percent in the last three weeks (source: Reuters)

. . . in the last three weeks . . .

As we learned in 2008, "The fundamentals of our economy are strong."
~ Ponga su anuncio aquí ~

Leif

Post by Leif » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 pm

cfs wrote:Now, China is a different story. Chinese shares have fallen more than 30 percent in the last three weeks (source: Reuters)

After going up 100+% in one year. Easy come, easy go...
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Just heard the fall in the Chinese market is 8x the entire Greek economy. :shock:
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:06 pm

What goes up must come down!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Looks as if the Bear chased the Bull out of the China shop.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:36 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:Just heard the fall in the Chinese market is 8x the entire Greek economy. :shock:

Just another statistic to give perspective to the Greek headlines that seem to dominate the media.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm

US stocks haven't been great the last month or so, but international stocks have been getting pounded this month (or so it seems).

IlikeJackB

Post by IlikeJackB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:01 pm

ZumZabo wrote:Looks as if the Bear chased the Bull out of the China shop.

:mrgreen:
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Took the money that had piled up in my money market funds today, and used it to buy some VSS and VXUS.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:Just heard the fall in the Chinese market is 8x the entire Greek economy. :shock:
No euros involved though.

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Situation normal.

The week that never was.

TXAGBH

Post by TXAGBH » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Simply amazing week with stocks, especially internationals. This week was yet another example of why buy & hold wins just about every time.

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:38 am

I only wish I were nimble enough to catch some of the downturns, regularly. :mrgreen: The dips came at us fast and furious this past week. Do we know whether some balanced funds like Vanguard Balanced Index fund or LifeStrategy funds do capture some of the big moves, as they seek to rebalance to maintain their asset mixes?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:46 am

TXAGBH wrote:Simply amazing week with stocks, especially internationals. This week was yet another example of why buy & hold wins just about every time.

Actually, it is just the opposite. This past week showed how sometimes sharp drops are accompanied by sharp gains. Buy & hold lost this week because folks who did not buy on July 8th missed out on 4+% gains in just 2 days. So don't forget to rebalance.

It is true that when a future chart is shown that this week won't even show up because of "smoothing" or skipping over days. Nevertheless, folks who followed the RBD strategy picked up some extra bucks this week.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:53 am

After all this turmoil over China and Greece and the worries over impending doom, my retirement portfolio is down maybe 2%. So far all of this hasn't been a big deal. I am always a bit nervous as an investor but these ups and downs are pretty normal for a market. We have had it really, really good. In fact, it has been a while since we have had a 10% correction in the US Stock Market.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:36 am

cfs wrote:Situation normal.

The week that never was.

Or, the Emily Litella week?

"Oh. Never mind."

L. :D
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:47 am

nedsaid wrote:In fact, it has been a while since we have had a 10% correction in the US Stock Market.

I think the last 10%+ drop in the US market happened in July/August 2011, a couple weeks after I joined this forum and invested a lump sum in VTSMX.

garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 am

zaboomafoozarg wrote:

I think the last 10%+ drop in the US market happened in July/August 2011, a couple weeks after I joined this forum and invested a lump sum in VTSMX.

One of the most potent and sure ways to induce a market correction is to make a large lump sum equity investment. The inverse is also often true: selling equity en mass often induces a market rally. Zaboomafoozarg's experience is not unique. Investors total equity allocation as a percentage of assets often varies inversely with future expected returns and future performance.

Garland Whizzer

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:32 pm

garlandwhizzer wrote:
zaboomafoozarg wrote:

One of the most potent and sure ways to induce a market correction is to make a large lump sum equity investment. The inverse is also often true: selling equity en mass often induces a market rally. Zaboomafoozarg's experience is not unique. Investors total equity allocation as a percentage of assets often varies inversely with future expected returns and future performance.

Garland Whizzer

Do you have a newsletter for that?

The last newsletter I tried to buy was from nisiprius' cat, who walked on the keyboard and sold all his holdings before a drop. Unfortunately, I think nisiprius is keeping his cat's talents a secret, and won't allow the publication of "Gato Gains".

L. :D

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:53 pm

The other dog that has not barked: Gold.

SYDNEY—Market mayhem is normally a buy signal for one asset: gold. But this time around the precious metal is the dog that hasn’t barked.

The commodity surged to a record high in 2011 amid rising anxiety over the eurozone’s unfolding debt crisis, as mass protests against austerity policies hit the streets of Athens. This year, faced with more turmoil from a deteriorating situation in Greece, investors haven’t yet rushed to gold.

Nor have concerns about China’s economy and its plunging stock market yet caused the sort of panic gold-buying seen in past years.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/no-gold-rus ... 1436427839

L.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Talks have ended until tomorrow in Brussels over Greece. CNBC and others quoting Germany and Finland pushing for Grexit, at least temporaily. Others reporting they can't even agree what to disagree about . Markets surged friday on hopes of a solution-stay the course will be tested this week.

It is hard to see all Euro nations agreeing to more bailouts, and with banks closed two weeks in Greece if they don't open soon there will be civil unrest.

Stay the course!

TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:58 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

- S&P 500 Index

One way to get (approximate, but good) SP500 total return data from yahoo finance is this:

1. Obtain ticker symbol SPY (SP500 SPDR ETF),
2. Go to historical price screen,
3. Ensure it is daily, provide date range,
4. Download the data in csv,
5. Compute return using "Adj Price", which accounts for dividends.

While SPY etf need not EXACTLY follow SP500, it generally does an excellent job of tracking it. There are very few instances when they might disagree: SPY dividend days, and unusual corporate actions. However, this will be self corrected.

For good measure, AFTER you compute total returns using SPY adjusted prices, you can add 0.09% per year, or 0.09% / 250 per day, to account for the ER of SPY.

BTW, you can do this with any good ETF, e.g., QQQ for Nasdaq, IWM for R2K, etc.

It is an absolute shame that there is no public data with this information. Considering how much stink is made around various investing issues in the news media, this is one single piece of information that: (a) is very useful, (b) can be provided easily, and (c) should be provided for free, as a service to the investing public, but the index provider -> that's my opinion.

TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:Talks have ended until tomorrow in Brussels over Greece. CNBC and others quoting Germany and Finland pushing for Grexit, at least temporaily. Others reporting they can't even agree what to disagree about . Markets surged friday on hopes of a solution-stay the course will be tested this week.

It is hard to see all Euro nations agreeing to more bailouts, and with banks closed two weeks in Greece if they don't open soon there will be civil unrest.

Stay the course!

If I were Germany, I would push Greece out of EUR immediately.

I think they (Greek administration) have run their course for too long. They came into power not supporting austerity, vowing to fight, setup the referendum, people have spoken, and that's it.

Germany and the top creditors can take some losses, and that's it.

Greece will be better off outside of EUR, IMO.

TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Leeraar wrote:The other dog that has not barked: Gold.

SYDNEY—Market mayhem is normally a buy signal for one asset: gold. But this time around the precious metal is the dog that hasn’t barked.

The commodity surged to a record high in 2011 amid rising anxiety over the eurozone’s unfolding debt crisis, as mass protests against austerity policies hit the streets of Athens. This year, faced with more turmoil from a deteriorating situation in Greece, investors haven’t yet rushed to gold.

Nor have concerns about China’s economy and its plunging stock market yet caused the sort of panic gold-buying seen in past years.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/no-gold-rus ... 1436427839

L.

2000 years ago salt had the same status as gold. Wages were paid in salt, transactions were done in exchange for salt, and it was considered a good store of value.

Gold has three potential source of value:

- industrial use value,
- other consumer use value (jewelry, art)
- store of value.

However, global markets and economic are sufficiently sophisticated that the utility of gold as store of value is diminishing. The only thing that keep's gold value is perceived rarity of it. But recall that perceived rarity of salt is what made salt a medium of transactions and store of value 2000 years ago.

I am not saying that science is going to start manufacturing gold, but there are other rarer elements out there as well.

Central Banks collect and store gold only as a measure to protect their currency in times of turmoil. But there is no reason why countries could not collect and store other commodities. More useful commodities to collect would be:

- radioactive materials,
- fossil fuels, like oil,
- resources (food, machinery, vehicles, equipment, etc).

I think the global economy is much more resilient, and less prone to disasters, so gold is not what it used to be.

During times of crises, you need a plan to keep the economy running and producing. Gold is less helpful for doing so. Having resources is much more important: keeping the transportation network running, keeping the energy infrastructure running, delivering goods from source to destination, etc. Having a good emergency management plan is far more important than gold. Think Hurricane Katrina. Water in that stadium during the early days in the aftermath of the hurricane was probably more valuable than gold.

Another important thing is to protect your resources and infrastructure from very severe enemy attack. Currently there are two things that I can think of: (1) large scale nuclear attack by one country against another: e.g., Russia sends 1-2 nukes to every large metro area in the US plus 10-50 strategic other destinations, and (2) large scale cyber attack, that cripples multiple networks, e.g., electric grid, aviation grid, transportation grid, and internet grid.

I don't see gold being that helpful in either scenario. Sure, the price of gold might go up, but as a country under attack, having gold in the reserves will not be that helpful. Furthermore, resources too (cars, oil, food) would also go up in price, and I bet those will go up in price a lot more than gold.

Another issue is the printing press of the government. If there were large inflation, the central bank would simply suck up currency and destroy it. This is 1850. This is 2015, and such operations can be done in no time.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:37 pm

garlandwhizzer wrote:
zaboomafoozarg wrote:

Garland Whizzer

Yes Garland, you have perfectly described the "Nedsaid Effect." I have always said that if you want an investment to go up that you must sell it first!! This has happened to me many times and thus I have an aversion to selling anything. Jim Cramer's former wife was a trader and she talked about making a sacrifice to the trading Gods. I think this is what she meant.

My take on this is that the buy decision is a much easier decision to make than the sell decision. The odds are in your favor because if you buy, you can elect to hold after that. If you sell, you also have to make another decision to buy something to replace what you just sold. Your chances of screwing up are less with one decision rather than two. I have often experienced the investment that I sold outperforming the investment I bought to replace it.

I have never had the experience of moving the markets downward with a large lump sum equity investment. We can call that the "Garland Whizzer Effect." I will say that I have always advised investors not to make large lump sum investments but to dollar cost average. The research says it is better to lump it in all at once but dollar cost averaging saves from buyer's remorse. Investor psychology is very important and must be respected.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:01 pm

TradingPlaces wrote:...More useful commodities to collect would [include]:

- radioactive materials,...
Apply the rule of 72 in reverse. 72 divided by half life = percentage loss per year. :D
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

ww340

Post by ww340 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Beware that I am selling Wellington this week. I have the same affliction as Nedsaid and Garlandwhizzer - things seem to go up after I sell them.

I have a real estate closing next week and must sell this week. It will surely go down before I sell it and go up phenomenallly as soon as I sell. So this is my stock tip of the year.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:07 pm

TradingPlaces wrote:Central Banks collect and store gold only as a measure to protect their currency in times of turmoil. But there is no reason why countries could not collect and store other commodities. More useful commodities to collect would be:

- radioactive materials,
- fossil fuels, like oil,
- resources (food, machinery, vehicles, equipment, etc).
Storage; those things cannot be stored in a dark corner of a basement. Liquidity; except for oil those things do not have a liquid market with a US Dollar world price.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Our next investment purchase is today for no market timing reasons.

We are staying the course!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 pm

ww340 wrote:Beware that I am selling Wellington this week. I have the same affliction as Nedsaid and Garlandwhizzer - things seem to go up after I sell them.

I have a real estate closing next week and must sell this week. It will surely go down before I sell it and go up phenomenallly as soon as I sell. So this is my stock tip of the year.
If this isn't an impulse buy why wasn't the money in CDs or bonds? :confused

abuss368 wrote:Our next investment purchase is today for no market timing reasons.

We are staying the course!
I never buy on an up day.

ww340

Post by ww340 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Uncle Pennybags - that was a whole other discussion. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168556&p=2540955#p2540955

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 pm

All is well on The Western Front.

And now let's wait to see Madsinger's monthly report for July 2015.

Maintaining constant course and speed . . . steady as she goes.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 pm

The report is maintained in the wiki: Madsinger monthly reports

Any wiki editor is welcome to update the page when Madsinger reports in.