U.S. stocks in freefall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
deltaneutral83

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Postby deltaneutral83 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 pm

sco wrote:

Seriously, 1-2% is an event???

Most social media platforms weren't blasting news (if they were around in 08/09) every 3 hours. 90% of Americans, and this is generous, have no idea how the stock market operates. But then again, no one can say how it will operate in the future, just how it's operated in the past. But with "news" being forced down your throat every couple of hours some people honestly do not know the difference.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Postby Vanguard Fan 1367 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:09 pm

MoonOrb wrote:I get a kick out of the realization that if it weren't for the existence of this thread, I'd likely have no idea that the markets had a pretty big down day. Over the last four months I've cut down my news media consumption by about 95% or more. I'm more likely to check financial news than anything else and I do that rarely, too.

I have done the same. My mental and financial health does much better with as little news as possible. 8-)

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

nedsaid wrote:Hmmm. Stocks up again today. Let's keep this thread going.

Dead cat bounce :happy

Earl Lemongrab

Postby Earl Lemongrab » Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:

Was the cat killed by a falling knife?
This week's fortune cookie: "You will enjoy doing something spontaneous this weekend." Apparently that meant working on a dead PC, but I didn't enjoy that much.

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Fri May 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:

Was the cat killed by a falling knife?

Death by market clichés. :D
A fool and his money are good for business.

Uncle Pennybags

Postby Uncle Pennybags » Sat May 20, 2017 8:04 am

thangngo wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:That was a rough one but I rode it out and didn't sell. :mrgreen:

:sharebeer

At which point would you sell?

Hopefully never, though retired I'm still in the accumulation phase. I feel for those who need their investments to pay the bills.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
thangngo wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:That was a rough one but I rode it out and didn't sell. :mrgreen:

Hopefully never, though retired I'm still in the accumulation phase. I feel for those who need their investments to pay the bills.
[emphasis added]

Say what!?

I've rarely seen such a condescending statement here.

I'm sure we are not alone in feeling very *good* about having saved PRECISELY so that we would have a comfortable and pleasant retirement... and "pay the bills"... by selling investments and spending the proceeds.

We have no relatives who need or are expecting an inheritance.
(Besides which, it would be one thing if there were relatives who *needed* the money, but any who just wanted it...? That would be different anyway.)

At this point, we are not retired, but no longer in the accumulation stage.

We aren't "saving" more, but we are definitely paying attention to managing the investments we have.
But we aren't spending yet either, although we certainly could anytime it was "needed". Or if we "just wanted to".
And it will be needed, once DH fully or partially retires.
Again, that is precisely why we saved: to pay the bills in retirement.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

MotoTrojan

Postby MotoTrojan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
thangngo wrote:

[emphasis added]

Say what!?

I'm sure we are not alone in feeling very *good* about having saved PRECISELY so that we would have a comfortable and pleasant retirement... and "pay the bills"... by selling investments and spending the proceeds.

(Besides which, it would be one thing if there were relatives who *needed* the money, but any who just wanted it...? That would be different anyway.)

We aren't "saving" more, but we are definitely paying attention to managing the investments we have.
But we aren't spending yet either, although we certainly could anytime it was "needed". Or if we "just wanted to".

RM

I agree the phrasing was poor, but I read this as hopefully never being forced to sell out of fear of losing wealth in a crash, and that they feel for retirees that don't have the time/reaccumulation to mend a crashes impact on ones portfolio.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
thangngo wrote:

[emphasis added]

Say what!?

RM

I agree the phrasing was poor, but I read this as hopefully never being forced to sell out of fear of losing wealth in a crash, and that they feel for retirees that don't have the time/reaccumulation to mend a crashes impact on ones portfolio.

Hmmm. I might have been able to view it that way if there was not that bit about hoping to *hopefully never* needing or even wanting to sell.
That rather dismisses a relatively regular planned approach of withdrawing when retired, which he already is... and still accumulating, so general priorities are clear.
Or so it seemed to me, given the specific wording, including that "never"...
Having that pity statement about those who generally plan to "need their investments to pay bills" that follows...?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Uncle Pennybags

Postby Uncle Pennybags » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 am

ResearchMed wrote:We have no relatives who need or are expecting an inheritance.
I'm single life annuitized, 3/5 inflation protected, guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the US of A.
I’m thankful I don’t have to worry about outliving my money; I don’t have the temperament for that. I know many who have to rely on their children to get by; that would make me cry. :(
"When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry?"

MotoTrojan wrote:I agree the phrasing was poor, ....
What he said.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Don't ruin the thread,just let it go. How can you guys lose focus at a time like this? Market's in full meltdown crisis mode and you're discussing improper post phrasing!
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

zaboomafoozarg

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:Don't ruin the thread,just let it go. How can you guys lose focus at a time like this?

I absolutely agree, this thread is a national treasure!

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”