Charlie Munger: Get A Life! [Poll]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Do You Need A Life?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 am

No
100%

Total votes: 18

sscritic

Charlie Munger: Get A Life! [Poll]

Post by sscritic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 am

Does this apply to you? :)
The aging star met with his adoring fans for the last time Friday and basically told them to get a life.
Besides, he added with his trademark genial cantankerousness, "You people aren't normal."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-w ... 0304.story

wintermute

Post by wintermute » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:48 am

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 pm

I am retired. People sometimes ask me what I do all day. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I spend all day at bogleheads.org.

I answered "yes." I am not normal; I need a life.

If I were not embarrassed to spend all day here, I would have answered "no," but I would still not be normal and would still need a life.

paulob

Post by paulob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:30 pm

sscritic wrote:I am retired. People sometimes ask me what I do all day. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I spend all day at bogleheads.org.

If I were not embarrassed to spend all day here, I would have answered "no," but I would still not be normal and would still need a life.
I believe that helping others, being charitable with your time, knowledge, learning from others, etc. are all ways to lead a productive life whether your are retired or not.

You are are one of the most admired posters here, so I hope if by chance that you get "a life", that you will still have time to post frequently here. :lol:
Paul

bob90245

Re: Charlie Munger: Get A Life! [Poll]

Post by bob90245 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:07 pm

The aging star met with his adoring fans for the last time Friday and basically told them to get a life.
Besides, he added with his trademark genial cantankerousness, "You people aren't normal."
I think cantankerous is too kind a word. That kind of attitude evidences downright disdain. His fans don't deserve such verbal assault.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:22 pm

My favorite Mungerquote~
“All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so I won’t go there.” Charlie Munger
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

bigDanShan

Post by bigDanShan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Charlie's view of the "great recession"
http://myinvestingnotebook.blogspot.com ... radoy.html
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." – Plato

Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:29 pm

mickeyd wrote:My favorite Mungerquote~
“All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so I won’t go there.” Charlie Munger
I like the Woody Allen quote.... " I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens"

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:51 pm

sscritic wrote:I am retired. People sometimes ask me what I do all day. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I spend all day at bogleheads.org.

sscritic

Thank you so much for the time you devote to helping others on bogleheads.org. You sir, are a class act, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge with others!
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:47 pm

I don't understand the article. Aside from the authors summary, how did Munger tell them to get a life?
Mike

jsnbrnd

Post by jsnbrnd » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:04 pm

I am also retired. When people ask me what I do, I answer "Whatever I want."

Tuxx

Post by Tuxx » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 pm

"You should thank God the banks were bailed out."

to those who did not get a bail out - main street:

"Suck it up, buddy and cope with it."