linkedin ipo

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
manuvns

linkedin ipo

Post by manuvns »

linkedin stocks are up 90% in first day of trading . Did any bogleheads get to participate in this ipo and make some quick bucks ? How can i participate in in similiar ipo ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LNKD&ql=1
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

You could start your own venture capital fund.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

The stock is up 90%...is there a way the public could have actually earned that?

"It began trading Thursday on New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol LNKD (LNKD). Shares began trading at $83 each and quickly rose above $90, before falling back a bit to $85.97 at 10:30 a.m. ET."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/19/technol ... htm?hpt=T2
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Open a account @ Scottrade, TDAmeritrade, or the like and go right ahead. Its quite simple. No I did not buy any and right now i'd sell had I purchased any.~ (I'm not affiliated with either brokerage)
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I will paypal anybody $5 that can show me they purchased the stock at $45/share.
Tuxx

Post by Tuxx »

Turned on CNBC, the pom poms are out. Having 1999 flashbacks.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tuxx wrote:Turned on CNBC, the pom poms are out. Having 1999 flashbacks.
does have that feel, doesn't it. What will they call it -- the twit bubble?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
CrankyManager

Post by CrankyManager »

jebmke wrote:
Tuxx wrote:Turned on CNBC, the pom poms are out. Having 1999 flashbacks.
does have that feel, doesn't it. What will they call it -- the twit bubble?
The Social Bubble? The 'Not'working Bubble?
"Does not Dionysius seem to have made it sufficiently clear that there can be nothing happy for the person over whom some fear always looms?" -- Cicero
Tuxx

Post by Tuxx »

Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr, Pingasta, Ryze, Zooppa, etc, etc will suck up even more liquity when they IPO.

Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr will likely be in the top 10 IPOs of all time and they will probably roll out in the next 12-15 months, if not sooner after seeing how Linkin was received.
Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig »

I thought you had to be a client already of the firm that took them public to have access to the IPO price?

in other words, the real play for the public was buying at 83 and selling at 90 or so?

unless it turns out like a GOOG...
matt

Post by matt »

If you own it, you should probably sell today. Membership on LinkedIn is going to decline materially following the rapture.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

matt wrote:If you own it, you should probably sell today. Membership on LinkedIn is going to decline materially following the rapture.
We still have tomorrow as well!
bigDanShan

Post by bigDanShan »

Net Income (pro rated annualized): $8 million or P/E 980x +
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." – Plato
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Aren't there some IPOs that don't allow you to sell for some period of time afterwards? Is this one of them?

Note - I know very little about IPOs, so forgive my ignorance.
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Tried to short this mulitple times around 105 and 110 today but I keep getting error messages from IB "no contracts available to short"
riverguy

Post by riverguy »

Just another scam job by the investment banks. Look how much money the company left on the table. What do you bet they will take the over-allotment?:D

As far as an 8 billion dollar company? Good luck with that. Linkedin will be another fad that comes and goes. Hello 1999. Hello Myspace.
FredPeterson

Post by FredPeterson »

kenyan wrote:Aren't there some IPOs that don't allow you to sell for some period of time afterwards? Is this one of them?

Note - I know very little about IPOs, so forgive my ignorance.
If you received shares as part of the IPO process as an insider yes, you are locked in. That lock in is usually something like 6 months or more.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Best the general public could buy in at was around $85... So there was no 90% gains..

Still, there is obviously some money to make from the "greater fools"... It's trading at a 500-1000 PE ratio right now...

That's completely insane, but there are obviously some very stupid people out there... It's definitely not a long-term holding..

Facebook would be an interesting gamble... Buy and sell the same day to the bigger idiots out there...

I think I'll pass though.
FredPeterson

Post by FredPeterson »

riverguy wrote:Just another scam job by the investment banks. Look how much money the company left on the table. What do you bet they will take the over-allotment?:D

As far as an 8 billion dollar company? Good luck with that. Linkedin will be another fad that comes and goes. Hello 1999. Hello Myspace.
No, LinkedIn is not a fad and it will not go away.

But its not even a $1B market cap company thats for sure. With revenue of $8m? Even at a high growth PE of 50 we'll say, thats only a cap of $400M
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Snowjob wrote:Tried to short this mulitple times around 105 and 110 today but I keep getting error messages from IB "no contracts available to short"
You should know that IPOs are unshortable for 30 days. Blame the SEC, not IB - they want to encourage the bubbles in new stocks apparently by making it illegal to have the opposite opinion.
Bruin

Post by Bruin »

It's only at 106 now, spiked at 122.70. Here's what I don't get. Doesn't this just mean the investment bank that IPO'd the stock did a piss poor job?

I mean if I was the Linkedin CEO, and the company sold 7.84 million shares at $45 each, but the market priced them at $106 each, didn't the company just get screwed out of $478,000,000? That $478,000,000 went to the preferred customers of the investment bank that took Linkedin public. I know the CEO is probably happy personally, since his paper value in the company is now worth >$200 million.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Bruin wrote:It's only at 106 now, spiked at 122.70. Here's what I don't get. Doesn't this just mean the investment bank that IPO'd the stock did a piss poor job?

I mean if I was the Linkedin CEO, and the company sold 7.84 million shares at $45 each, but the market priced them at $106 each, didn't the company just get screwed out of $478,000,000? That $478,000,000 went to the preferred customers of the investment bank that took Linkedin public. I know the CEO is probably happy personally, since his paper value in the company is now worth >$200 million.
Yeah, but it's not really worth that much.. By the time those people who got in before the IPO can actually sell their shares, it will probably be much lower. Check the price in 6 months and see if the investment bankers did a good job of pricing it at $40
bonoz

Post by bonoz »

So let me get this straight.

1) General public wouldn't have been able to buy it at $45 a pop? Only around $85 because that's what it was when the market opened?

2) And once they would have bought the shares, they couldn't have sold them when the price hit $120? They need to hold on to the shares for 30 days before they can sell it back on the market again?

Help a noob understand. Thanks.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

bonoz wrote:1) General public wouldn't have been able to buy it at $45 a pop? Only around $85 because that's what it was when the market opened?
Right, only a ~20% return instead of >100%.
2) And once they would have bought the shares, they couldn't have sold them when the price hit $120? They need to hold on to the shares for 30 days before they can sell it back on the market again?
You can sell whenever you want, unless you're an employee or something with a special restriction. Shorting is different.
Bruin

Post by Bruin »

rrosenkoetter wrote:
Bruin wrote:It's only at 106 now, spiked at 122.70. Here's what I don't get. Doesn't this just mean the investment bank that IPO'd the stock did a piss poor job?

Yeah, but it's not really worth that much.. By the time those people who got in before the IPO can actually sell their shares, it will probably be much lower. Check the price in 6 months and see if the investment bankers did a good job of pricing it at $40
Well, yes and no. It's very possible the price of the stock could drop over the next 6 months - which is relevant to the value of the CEO's stock (since he probably can't cash it in 6 months).

But that's not relevant to the cash inflow that Linkedin received - if Linkedin only received $45 per share today (yesterday), but the market priced their stock at $106 today, if you were Linkedin's board wouldn't you be upset? What happens with the stock price 6 months from now is not relevant to what Linkedin could have gotten today.
bonoz

Post by bonoz »

xerty24 wrote:
bonoz wrote:1) General public wouldn't have been able to buy it at $45 a pop? Only around $85 because that's what it was when the market opened?
You can sell whenever you want, unless you're an employee or something with a special restriction. Shorting is different.
But had I bought the shares as part of the IPO process.. I'd be locked in?
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

why do I need LinkedIn when all the people I want to talk to are right here on the Bogleheads Investment Forum?
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

bonoz wrote:But had I bought the shares as part of the IPO process.. I'd be locked in?
xerty24 wrote:You can sell whenever you want, unless you're an employee or something with a special restriction.
AZK

Post by AZK »

So why don't people routinely buyin to IPOs at the opening bell and then just sell at some point during the day? Quick way to get 20% in a day?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Bruin wrote:
rrosenkoetter wrote:

Well, yes and no. It's very possible the price of the stock could drop over the next 6 months - which is relevant to the value of the CEO's stock (since he probably can't cash it in 6 months).

But that's not relevant to the cash inflow that Linkedin received - if Linkedin only received $45 per share today (yesterday), but the market priced their stock at $106 today, if you were Linkedin's board wouldn't you be upset? What happens with the stock price 6 months from now is not relevant to what Linkedin could have gotten today.
Good point
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

AZK wrote:So why don't people routinely buyin to IPOs at the opening bell and then just sell at some point during the day? Quick way to get 20% in a day?
Because they don't always go up...
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

bonoz wrote:
xerty24 wrote:
Some of the people who got shares at the low IPO price can sell right aways. Others have to wait 6 months... Institutional buyers (like mutual funds) may have gotten in at the low price. Employees also (they are the ones that for sure have to wait to sell).

As a member of the general public, you usually lose money investing in an IPO the first day. But not always! Roll the dice!
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonoz

Post by bonoz »

rrosenkoetter wrote:
bonoz wrote:
xerty24 wrote:
Some of the people who got shares at the low IPO price can sell right aways. Others have to wait 6 months... Institutional buyers (like mutual funds) may have gotten in at the low price. Employees also (they are the ones that for sure have to wait to sell).

As a member of the general public, you usually lose money investing in an IPO the first day. But not always! Roll the dice!
How do we know who gets to sell them right away and who has to keep them for 6 months? How can one be a part of the either group?
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

xerty24 wrote:
Snowjob wrote:Tried to short this mulitple times around 105 and 110 today but I keep getting error messages from IB "no contracts available to short"
You should know that IPOs are unshortable for 30 days. Blame the SEC, not IB - they want to encourage the bubbles in new stocks apparently by making it illegal to have the opposite opinion.
Well that would explain it. I thought they couldnt find someone willing to lend me shares !
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

bonoz wrote:How do we know who gets to sell them right away and who has to keep them for 6 months? How can one be a part of the either group?
I'm not 100% sure, but you will never be an insider for an IPO.. so it doesn't really matter.
matt

Post by matt »

Bruin wrote:But that's not relevant to the cash inflow that Linkedin received - if Linkedin only received $45 per share today (yesterday), but the market priced their stock at $106 today, if you were Linkedin's board wouldn't you be upset? What happens with the stock price 6 months from now is not relevant to what Linkedin could have gotten today.
That's why they only sell a small portion of shares with the IPO. It looks like only 8% of the company's shares were sold, so the 92% remaining are currently valued at $100 or so. They'll sell more of those over time.
matt

Post by matt »

bonoz wrote:How do we know who gets to sell them right away and who has to keep them for 6 months? How can one be a part of the either group?
If you are an insider of a company that is going public, I'm pretty sure you'll know that you are an insider of a company that is going public. If you are not an insider, you can buy and sell whenever you want.
larryswedroe

my thoughts on the LInked in IPO

Post by larryswedroe »

can find them here
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/investing/bl ... -bet/2418/

Hope find it helpful
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

Company doesn't nearly seem worth that to me, but then again, I don't care about or use LinkedIn.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

matt wrote:
Bruin wrote:But that's not relevant to the cash inflow that Linkedin received - if Linkedin only received $45 per share today (yesterday), but the market priced their stock at $106 today, if you were Linkedin's board wouldn't you be upset? What happens with the stock price 6 months from now is not relevant to what Linkedin could have gotten today.
That's why they only sell a small portion of shares with the IPO. It looks like only 8% of the company's shares were sold, so the 92% remaining are currently valued at $100 or so. They'll sell more of those over time.
Exactly, think of it as a very slow pump & dump. They sell 1/10 of the shares now and a price well below demand, resulting in lots of hype and free publicity and greedy/optimistic sentiment about their company. Then, over the next year or two they'll try to unload many of the remaining shares at the artificially high price. Scarcity, artificial or otherwise, can certainly engender a lot of irrational demand.
Bruin

Post by Bruin »

xerty24 wrote:
matt wrote:
Exactly, think of it as a very slow pump & dump. They sell 1/10 of the shares now and a price well below demand, resulting in lots of hype and free publicity and greedy/optimistic sentiment about their company. Then, over the next year or two they'll try to unload many of the remaining shares at the artificially high price. Scarcity, artificial or otherwise, can certainly engender a lot of irrational demand.
Thanks, yours and Matt's explanation makes sense.

So the IPO is just one big marketing event where the company paid marketing fees equal to Market Price of the Shares ($90) less the IPO Price ($45) times the number of shares sold that day (7.84 million). Then they get to cash in by hoping the price of the shares stay close to $90 and they slowly sell A LOT more shares over time.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

From my perspective, I know a lot of people who are "signed up" in LinkedIn - but I don't know who active the average signed up person is.

Currently, the format is a bit clunky to me.

RM
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

Is linkedin now a publicly traded US company? If so, then I own some, as do most of the people on this forum. 8-)
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

I have had a Linkedin account for a year or so.. it's pretty much worthless, unless you are looking for a job. The thing I don't like is the site keeps sending me e-mails telling me that people I know are linked to other people. So what? It's also trying to sell me a premium membership, which is of no use to me.
whistler

Post by whistler »

xerty24 wrote:
can still buy put options, earlier than the 30 days, if your goal is to short sooner than the 30 days SEC limit as those options are on the market sooner...regardless very very risky...the stock can remain irrational much longer than you can remain solvent...learned my lesson early in my stock trading days...tried to short housing stocks during the recent bubble and although overvalued they went higher after my short...luckily the two i shorted came back down to only slightly more than i paid at which point i said goodbye to the stomach flips, but i learned my lesson and luckily it cost me not to much and it was early on so no real damage...boglehead way of investment really is the way to go for the nerves and stomach
Bruin

Post by Bruin »

floydtime wrote:Is linkedin now a publicly traded US company? If so, then I own some, as do most of the people on this forum. 8-)
Question is, did we buy in at $45 or at $90? :D
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

Bruin wrote:
floydtime wrote:Is linkedin now a publicly traded US company? If so, then I own some, as do most of the people on this forum. 8-)
Ahh, true. We'll probably never know!
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

floydtime wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Ahh, true. We'll probably never know!
No, none of you own any yet, unless you bought the shares for your own account. The indexes don't add new IPOs right away, that only happens once or twice a year.
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

xerty24 wrote:No, none of you own any yet, unless you bought the shares for your own account. The indexes don't add new IPOs right away, that only happens once or twice a year.
Good point. So we'll probably end up buying it for $19.95. :wink:
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

How dare you compete with GS! :)
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.