My First Boglehead Reunion (Bogleheads 10)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
justkb

My First Boglehead Reunion (Bogleheads 10)

Post by justkb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:03 am

Good day all!

It's been about two years since I read The Bogleheads' Guide To Investing, and a year since joining this wonderful forum. The information received has greatly enhanced my understanding of personal investments, and I would like to thank each and every contributor for sharing their knowledge, thoughts, and ideas... it is greatly appreciated!!!

Since I will be attending my first reunion, what can I expect? For instance, will all the books written by Bogleheads be available for purchase, or should I bring them?

I look forward to meeting everyone and learning even more!

Ken

[For those who don't know what Ken is talking about, see these threads - Mel]:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 431#979431
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 00#1015100

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum! How exciting for you that you will be attending your first BH reunion!

What to expect? Lots of information, fun, meeting and greeting! You'd better bring your own books to have signed. There isn't a book store very close by and they are not sold at the event.

You will receive an agenda closer to the event that will give you an overview of the 3 days.

Welcome and I will see you in PHL!

gail (8 BH attendee)

alec

Post by alec » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:11 am

Prepare yourself for Mel's ponytail. :wink:

Don't try to out drink with the Canadian. :beer
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:16 am

alec wrote:Prepare yourself for Mel's ponytail. :wink:

Drinking with the Canadians was one of the best parts. Either all Canadians are really good, or we are getting the best ones at the Bogleheads reunions.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Re: My First Boglehead Reunion

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:30 am

justkb wrote:Good day all!

It's been about two years since I read The Bogleheads' Guide To Investing, and a year since joining this wonderful forum. The information received has greatly enhanced my understanding of personal investments, and I would like to thank each and every contributor for sharing their knowledge, thoughts, and ideas... it is greatly appreciated!!!

Since I will be attending my first reunion, what can I expect? For instance, will all the books written by Bogleheads be available for purchase, or should I bring them?

Ken
Hello Ken,

The Bogleheads reunions are similar to well-run professional conferences. In presentations and panel discussions we hear from Jack Bogle and Bogleheads Forum's leaders and writers. The participants get excellent up-to-date and long-term information, some of which is actionable. Even better, if one has a question or needs to apply the information to one's own circumstances, there are possibilities to approach speakers privately or ask other attendees for their take.

The book signing session is an opportunity to bring your own books and have them signed. At the same time, many people pose for pictures with Jack and other book authors.

At "official" meals each table has a card with a name of one of the Panel members. Which means that a table discussion can be geared towards specific interests of those at the table. Then there are numerous unofficial meals and get-together opportunities, where you can meet people you now know only by their Bogleheads handles. Some of these people are really sharp, and the discussions can get really stimulating.

In my experience, when I came to a reunion with some questions prepared in advance, they were all answered to my satisfaction one way or the other. Even better, I benefited from the questions asked by others, questions I have not thought of.

A bonus of holding a meeting in Philadelphia is that we will get to visit Vanguard and talk to some of their financial celebrities. If you are happy or unhappy or unclear about anything that Vanguard does, this is an opportunity to voice it out. Vanguard does listen to us. (Last year they told us that they read this Forum but are not allowed to post here.)

It is not easy to put a monetary value on information. But I think that for me the attendance of the Bogleheads reunions has brought tangible financial benefits. And that is in addition to various intangibles such as spending several days in the company of pleasant, intelligent, financially-savvy people.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sddiehard

Post by sddiehard » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Victoria,

Very will put and how right you are. Thanks for putting into words what a great opportunity this meeting is for us.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Paul

Ken,

Look forward to meeting you. I am sure you will find the experience very worthwhile.

Paul

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:55 pm

alec wrote:Prepare yourself for Mel's ponytail. :wink:

We're bringing reinforcements this year, JIC :sharebeer

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Don't try to out drink with the Canadian.

We're bringing reinforcements this year, JIC.
Bourbon or Scotch??

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:44 pm

HueyLD wrote:Bourbon or Scotch??
Scotch, or more correctly Scottish; an old guy with a hollow leg!

Bourbon? Good God no, that would be Canadian Rye whisky, not starting fluid!

I know of at least 5 Canadians attending BH10, perhaps more... We'll all be meeting at the beaver tails concession.

Ok ok... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeaverTails

SB...
Last edited by speedbump101 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein

justkb

Post by justkb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Thank you all for the replies!

It's one thing reading discussion board postings, and quite another to actually listen to the conversations. There are still many blanks that I have, as well as a long list of questions; and I'm certain each and every one will be answered.

I do know better than to attempt to out-drink the Canadian contingency, as long as the conversation eventually gets around to hockey, Flyers style.

As for Mel's ponytail... I can only dream of the days when I had enough hair to have one :cry:

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:27 pm

speedbump101 wrote:I know of at least 5 Canadians attending BH10, perhaps more... We'll all be meeting at the beaver tails concession.

SB...
speedbump101,

Do you know if Otar is coming? How about Gummy? Based on Mel's recent message some of the newly opened seats are still available. Perhaps, you could reinforce the Canadian contingent with these two?

Victoria

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:54 pm

VictoriaF wrote:speedbump101,

Do you know if Otar is coming? How about Gummy? Based on Mel's recent message some of the newly opened seats are still available. Perhaps, you could reinforce the Canadian contingent with these two?

Victoria

I have no idea, but a great suggestion. BTW are there any other Canadians registered other than the 4 from Alberta, and one from southern Ont (Mr. B-L)?

Roll call...

SB...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:10 pm

speedbump101 wrote:

Victoria

I have no idea, but a great suggestion. BTW are there any other Canadians registered other than the 4 from Alberta, and one from southern Ont (Mr. B-L)?

Roll call...

SB...
Yep. Just had another one sign up today.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:06 pm

speedbump101 wrote:

Victoria

Roll call...

SB...
There will also be a former Saskatchewanian, now residing in Michigan making his 2nd Boglehead appearance....Doug

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 am

bcboy57 wrote:
speedbump101 wrote:

Victoria

Roll call...

SB...
There will also be a former Saskatchewanian, now residing in Michigan making his 2nd Boglehead appearance....Doug
Welcome back, Doug.

justkb

Post by justkb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:46 am

Victoria,

You mentioned the intangible benefit of spending several days in the company of pleasant, intelligent, financially-savvy people; I couldn't agree more. This is the main reason I wanted to attend... to share intelligent conversations about finances, with people that know much more about it than I do.

Trust me, I'll be listening with both ears... and taking notes.

Ken

silvereagle

Post by silvereagle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 am

Ken
Ken,
Your story sounds very much like mine. This will also be my first BH after following BH website for a couple of years and being primarily a Vanguard investor and Jack Bogle fan for 30 years !! The Vanguard Windsor Fund was my first IRA investment in 1981 !! Now 53, I'm in the process of a serious Asset Reallocation strategy that won't be able to be completed until the end of the year due to some company stock selling that will take some time to divest. So the BH will come at a perfect time for me to hear all the words of wisdom by the guests and fellow BHs and make any last minute changes to my portfolio :) .
I am also looking forward to visiting Vanguard ...... since my life savings is held under their guard ( ie. My personal Fort Knox).

justkb

Post by justkb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Silvereagle,

Yes, it sounds like we have lots in common. Best of luck finding your answers... I'll be doing the same thing. I'm also looking forward to visiting Vanguard's complex, I'm sure it's a thing of beauty!

Ken

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:39 pm

My wife and I will be attending BH10. She is wondering what the approximate attendance typically is.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

gotherelate

Post by gotherelate » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm

justkb wrote:Silvereagle,

Yes, it sounds like we have lots in common. Best of luck finding your answers... I'll be doing the same thing. I'm also looking forward to visiting Vanguard's complex, I'm sure it's a thing of beauty!

Ken
This will be my first BH Reunion, also. I'm glad I have two ears and only one mouth, because I'm sure I will need to hear more than I will need to be heard. And I'm hoping the Vanguard complex is a thing of SIMPLE beauty.
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:My wife and I will be attending BH10. She is wondering what the approximate attendance typically is.
Hi FrugalInvestor:

Because of the heavy demand, we added more 20 spaces to the original quota, and it looks like we may end up adding another 10 spaces if demand keeps up.

So the final number hasn't been locked in yet. But if we do add another 10 spots, that will be the last time we add more spots for this event. We like to keep the group small enough so folks get time to chat with everyone and don't feel lost in the crowd.

family_doc

Post by family_doc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 am

There are 2 slightly rabid picture takers usually there, Pongo and family_doc (moi). We try to capture most, if not all of the attendees and panelists. We post links to the compiled photos later;check out the Wiki for some of our past year's stuff. We especially appreciate the impromptu moments! Don't be shy! Hollywood makeup not required. Rich Guerra, if in attendance, also does a video.

I look forward to meeting you.

with regards,

family_doc

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 am

silvereagle wrote:

Ken
Ken,
Your story sounds very much like mine. This will also be my first BH after following BH website for a couple of years and being primarily a Vanguard investor and Jack Bogle fan for 30 years !! The Vanguard Windsor Fund was my first IRA investment in 1981 !! Now 53, I'm in the process of a serious Asset Reallocation strategy that won't be able to be completed until the end of the year due to some company stock selling that will take some time to divest. So the BH will come at a perfect time for me to hear all the words of wisdom by the guests and fellow BHs and make any last minute changes to my portfolio :) .
I am also looking forward to visiting Vanguard ...... since my life savings is held under their guard ( ie. My personal Fort Knox).
I love that ""My Personal Fort Knox". Actually Vanguard is also my personal Fort Knox, and I imagine it is for most Bogleheads, too. So when we visit Vanguard, we'll say "Hi" to our "gold"! :D

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 pm

I went to my first meeting a couple years ago in Fort Worth and the first thing I noticed was that everybody was way older than me.

I found the meetings to be very informative, particularly the question and answer panels with the BH experts and Ed Tower. Unfortunately, Mr. Bogle wasn't able to attend and life circumstances prevent me from attending any more in the near future despite moving to the east coast, but I'm glad I was able to make the trip when I did. Gail Cox and company did a fantastic job organizing the event and I was able to enjoy the rest of what Fort Worth had to offer after the meeting was over.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 pm

simplesimon wrote:I went to my first meeting a couple years ago in Fort Worth and the first thing I noticed was that everybody was way older than me.

I found the meetings to be very informative, particularly the question and answer panels with the BH experts and Ed Tower. Unfortunately, Mr. Bogle wasn't able to attend and life circumstances prevent me from attending any more in the near future despite moving to the east coast, but I'm glad I was able to make the trip when I did. Gail Cox and company did a fantastic job organizing the event and I was able to enjoy the rest of what Fort Worth had to offer after the meeting was over.
For health reasons, our Ft. Worth reunion was the only one out of the nine previous reunions we've held that Jack wasn't physically present. However, as you know, he did call in and talk to the Bogleheads over the ballroom's speaker system for about 15 minutes. For those who don't know, he made that call from the intensive care unit of Bryn Mawr Hospital. What a trooper!

Abbey

Post by Abbey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 pm

This will be my first Boglehead meeting, too. Thanks for all the information you've posted. I'm looking forward to some great discussions and especially the visit to Vanguard.
Abbey

justkb

Post by justkb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

Abbey wrote:This will be my first Boglehead meeting, too. Thanks for all the information you've posted. I'm looking forward to some great discussions and especially the visit to Vanguard.
Looking forward to meeting you too, Abbey. It appears there are quite a few of us that will be attending our first meeting, which should make things much more comfortable for us.

I have to wonder... will Vanguard be giving out any free samples???

See you there!

Ken

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 am

justkb wrote:
Abbey wrote:This will be my first Boglehead meeting, too. Thanks for all the information you've posted. I'm looking forward to some great discussions and especially the visit to Vanguard.
Looking forward to meeting you too, Abbey. It appears there are quite a few of us that will be attending our first meeting, which should make things much more comfortable for us.

I have to wonder... will Vanguard be giving out any free samples???

See you there!

Ken
Hi Abbey and Ken:

You're in for a real treat. And, FYI, the attendees are normally pretty evenly split between first-timers and those who've attended one or more reunions. The fact we get so many returnees speaks volumes.