A Message from Mr. Bogle

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

A Message from Mr. Bogle

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Kevin (Jack's assistant) is on vacation, so Jack asked me to post the following message from him. -- Mel

===========================

I will be the guest on The Bill Moyers Show which will be televised on PBS this Friday evening, September 28, 2007. In the Philadelphia area, broadcast time will be 9:00 PM. (It may be on at 8:30 on another local channel.)

My segment will comprise almost half of the one-hour program, though I do not yet know whether it will be the first half or the second half.

Interested investors in other areas should check local listings for the PBS station and broadcast time.

John C. Bogle
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Thanks, Mel

I'll set the Tivo up and catch it. I really appreciate Jack asking you to let us know.

Ed
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

Yes, thanks Mel...

I too will "TIVO" it.

BTW, here in San Diego, Bill Moyers will air at 9:00pm on KPBS.

Take care,

Paul G.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Jack Bogle on Bill Moyers/PBS

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I just checked the TV schedule, and it's on at 10pm here on the west coast of Florida.

Regards,

Mel
iceport

Post by iceport »

Thanks to Jack and Mel for this information.

I'm looking forward to the program. One of the most insightful, respectful, and humanitarian journalists around interviewing one of the most insightful, respectful, and humanitarian financial experts around -- this should be very good.

(It's also on at 9:00 PM on WGBY, Channel 57, Springfield, MA and on CPTV, Channel 24, Hartford, CT)

--Pete
bolt

Post by bolt »

[removed at request of poster]
BogleFan

Post by BogleFan »

No Tivo !! I will watch at 9.30 here in Chicagoland.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

bolt wrote:Thanks Mel. .........I dont have a tivo, so my spartan arse* will be in on a friday nite @10pm watching PBS.....boy I'm getting old! :?
I tink Tivo actually saves me money and makes me smarter.

I rent far fewer DVDs from Blockbuster and go to the theater less often with a Tivo. Plus I can record lots of educational programming, skip ads, and generally increase the overall quality of my tv experience.

Note: I don't work for Tivo or own Tivo stock.
60% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS 10% cash || RSU + ESPP
BogleFan

Post by BogleFan »

Agreed, Tivo might save you time and money.

What about a person who watches maximum 2 hours of TV in a week? :P

I save a lot of time by not watching TV at all. There is no money equivalent of that time saved. It is precious time spend with my wife and kid.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BogleFan wrote:Agreed, Tivo might save you time and money.

What about a person who watches maximum 2 hours of TV in a week? :P

I save a lot of time by not watching TV at all. There is no money equivalent of that time saved. It is precious time spend with my wife and kid.
As Larry's fond of saying "Take care of the big rocks first.".

Regards,

Mel
zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller »

watchnerd wrote:
bolt wrote:Thanks Mel. .........I dont have a tivo, so my spartan arse* will be in on a friday nite @10pm watching PBS.....boy I'm getting old! :?
I tink Tivo actually saves me money and makes me smarter.

I rent far fewer DVDs from Blockbuster and go to the theater less often with a Tivo. Plus I can record lots of educational programming, skip ads, and generally increase the overall quality of my tv experience.

Note: I don't work for Tivo or own Tivo stock.
Agreed here as well. One of my guilty vices is watching professional wrestling. I know it's dumb, but I've watched it since I was little. Anyway, by skipping the commercials, recaps and segments I'm uninterested in, I can generally watch a two hour broadcast in forty minutes. Since they broadcast five hours a week, I end up "saving" about three hours a week. That alone makes it worth the price.

I'd be lost without it. The only things I watch live anymore are sports broadcasts.
clay

Post by clay »

I'm looking forward to the program. One of the most insightful, respectful, and humanitarian journalists around interviewing one of the most insightful, respectful, and humanitarian financial experts around -- this should be very good.

Very true.
Finally Bogle in a context where he won't be shouted down, asked really stupid questions, or the like. But .... I'm not a TV watcher, so a lazy question (I guess I could just get on google): anyone know off the top of their head if I'll be able to find this on the net sometime not to long after the broadcast?
InvestingMom

San Francisco at10pm

Post by InvestingMom »

I have it at 10pm in the SF Bay Area on channel 9. I will DVR it.

And who could argue that the DVR (or TIVO) is not great when you have a special on like The War! (Okay I admit I am going to use it for Grey's Anatomy tonight as well, which should make all of you guys ill :wink:)
iceport

Post by iceport »

clay wrote:anyone know off the top of their head if I'll be able to find this on the net sometime not to long after the broadcast?
The segment should be available online here: Bill Moyers Journal within a few days after the broadcast.

--Pete
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Wanted to bump this up for those who might have missed it. (Things move so very fast on this busy forum!)

Best regards to all,

Mel
kstorm

Post by kstorm »

It's scheduled to be on at 9pm here in NYC on Ch. 13.
Samy

Post by Samy »

It is going to be at 8 PM, KCET chanel 28 in Los Angeles
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

Here is the Bill Moyers Journal PBS link on Jack Bogle for tonight:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09282007/profile.html

One can also find locals times for the broadcast.

Paul G.
winterescape

Post by winterescape »

BUMP remember to set the VCR...
Just moving this post near the top as a reminder...
dharrythomas

Jack Bogle

Post by dharrythomas »

:thumbsup

Listened on line this morning.

I always like to hear and read what Jack Bogle says. He's as far out of the mainstream as you can get and I agree with almost everything he says.

Harry
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bumping this up to give everyone who hasn't seen it a chance to listen in via the online link provided.

Regards to all,

Mel