Five closed funds have reopened to Flagship clients NOW

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
donocash

Five closed funds have reopened to Flagship clients NOW

Post by donocash »

Sorry if this has already been posted.

As many of you know, some closed Vanguard funds were scheduled to re-open to Flagship clients.

Went to the Vanguard site today. They seem to be open today.

I just purchased VGPMX for my IRA!
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

VGPMX doesn't impress me.

8.97% annualized return since 1984 inception.
Grandpaboys

Bad Policy

Post by Grandpaboys »

Open to just Flagship leaves a bad taste in my mouth and concider it bad policy by Vanguard
Good Day | GP
xenial

Post by xenial »

This article suggests the funds are now open to Flagship clients: More ways Flagship says "thank you"

Best wishes,
Ken
xenial

Re: Bad Policy

Post by xenial »

Grandpaboys wrote:Open to just Flagship leaves a bad taste in my mouth and concider it bad policy by Vanguard
Vanguard management presumably considered the tradeoffs between happy larger shareholders and unhappy smaller shareholders in establishing this policy. It's funny that I thought the same thing when Vanguard first instituted Admiral shares!

Best wishes,
Ken
Doc

Re: Bad Policy

Post by Doc »

Grandpaboys wrote:Open to just Flagship leaves a bad taste in my mouth and concider it bad policy by Vanguard
Agreed. You can justify lower fees to larger accounts on the basis of lower costs but what is the justification for this policy?
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I own this fund and it continues to impress me. Look at 1, 3, 5 and 10 yr returns. I did not own it in the 1980s or 1990s. Like any sector fund it will have its good streaks and not so good. The bear market decile of this fund is 1, the best.
Regards,
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

they wanted to open up the spigot with a 1/4 turn. the only fair way to do that was let the shareholders who have the most money trusted at VG get first in line. makes perfect sense to me. loyalty has its rewards.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

SpringMan wrote:

I own this fund and it continues to impress me. Look at 1, 3, 5 and 10 yr returns. I did not own it in the 1980s or 1990s. Like any sector fund it will have its good streaks and not so good. The bear market decile of this fund is 1, the best.
Regards,
i always and only look at 20+ year returns when i critique funds.
InvestingMom

Re: Five closed funds have reopened to Flagship clients NOW

Post by InvestingMom »

donocash wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted.

As many of you know, some closed Vanguard funds were scheduled to re-open to Flagship clients.

Thank you. I did not see this.

I believe that VPMCX is an excellent fund. It is one of the best funds over a 20 year period (see Kiplingers Sept 07 Top Performers.) I also noted that the returns since inception in 1984 were 15.21%.
Last edited by InvestingMom on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

InvestingMom wrote:

I agree that the VGPMX is an excellent fund. It is one of the best funds over a 20 year period (see Kiplingers Sept 07 Top Performers.) I also noted that the returns since inception in 1984 were 15.21%.

false.

https://personal.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw ... hart=false
adave

Post by adave »

What do you need to get Flagship status??

I would love to get into the health care fund.
InvestingMom

Post by InvestingMom »

Gekko wrote:they wanted to open up the spigot with a 1/4 turn. the only fair way to do that was let the shareholders who have the most money trusted at VG get first in line. makes perfect sense to me. loyalty has its rewards.
I agree. However, perhaps loyalty could have also been measured by how long investors have been with Vanguard. Primecap requires a 25K minimum investment so it is not like just anyone could have invested in it if they had broadened inclusion.

Lastly, I believe that part of the reason Vanguard did this is to entice more NEW high net investors to invest at Vanguard. Primecap gets a lot of press. Ultimately this helps all Vanguard investors (admittedly probably the admiral funds.)
xenial

Post by xenial »

adave wrote:What do you need to get Flagship status??
$1 million invested in Vanguard mutual funds.

Best wishes,
Ken
InvestingMom

Post by InvestingMom »

Gekko wrote:
InvestingMom wrote:

I agree that the VGPMX is an excellent fund. It is one of the best funds over a 20 year period (see Kiplingers Sept 07 Top Performers.) I also noted that the returns since inception in 1984 were 15.21%.

false.

https://personal.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw ... hart=false
I stand corrected! I transposed the ticker. I was referring to Primecap (VPMCX). Let me see if I can edit my original post.
Prokofiev

VGHCX Fund vs Index VHT

Post by Prokofiev »

adave wrote:What do you need to get Flagship status??

I would love to get into the health care fund.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing until I compared it to the index VHT. Below is a 1-yr comparison. Same for 2 and 3 years. VGHCX had a great 5 months late in 2000 which gives it good looking 10 and 20yr performance. But has failed to match the index since then. So why bother.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart. ... 0&maval=60
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
diehards

Post by diehards »

Diehards

I posted this M* Sort on a previous thread.

I entered 100 VG mutual funds in M* and sorted “Total Return 10-year”. VGPMX is 1st, VHCOX is 3rd, VGHCX is 5th, VPMCX is 9th, and VEXPX is 13th. See M* Total Return 10-year sort:
http://i17.tinypic.com/63c4fn8.gif
For the long term these closed "Now Open" active managed VG funds have beat their index.

Good Luck, A Diehard :D
NASA Engineer Retired "Higher CO2 levels is natures way increasing crop yields to feed the world’s growing population"
Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine »

I'm curious what others think about my recent decision to sell all of my Explorer shares in my rollover IRA. I'd held them since I opened my first 401k in 1996. I'm nowhere near Flagship status, btw.

That little warning "this fund is closed to new investors" made it a little harder to sell. Interesting, I also sold all my Windsor II (#15) and Global Equity (#7). Maybe this is part of the reason it took me so long to pull the trigger....the actively managed funds I had did very well.

I think consolidating all my IRAs to Vanguard with an indexed AA is wiser for the long haul. Someone tell me I did right. :o
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.
Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine »

donocash wrote: I just purchased VGPMX for my IRA!
Yikes! That purchase would scare me.

5 year return 33%
10 year 17.9%
Since inception 8.97%

Think maybe its time to RTM?
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Ted,
I dumped my explorer fund too. Have not missed it at all. Too bad they don't reopen international explorer, that fund would interest me. I agree too that the precious metals fund is excellent. It should hold up well in a bear market with its bear market decile of 1. There sure are worse funds out there. I am also a fan of VGENX, Vanguard's actively managed energy fund, it has a high minimum of 25K though. My wife has the Health Care fund, VGHAX. It has lagged the index, VHT, but she wants to hold on. She has had it over 10 years so it is admiral class with only 50K.
Best,
Best Wishes, SpringMan
kcyahoo

Thanks Donocash

Post by kcyahoo »

Thanks Donocash about the heads up on the reopened funds. I needed a small allocation of VGPMX for my (approximated) Sheltered Sam portfolio. I just purchased it.
Retired @ 57, now 75 | was 50/45/5, then 42/54/04, now 35/60/5 | KC
cute fuzzy bunny

Post by cute fuzzy bunny »

Perhaps its a little motivation for folks who keep monies outside of vanguard to bring those funds "into the fold" in order to reap some additional benefits.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Ted -- Exchanging to Vanguard and Index funds?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I think consolidating all my IRAs to (low cost) Vanguard with an indexed AA is wiser for the long haul. Someone tell me I did right.
Good investors make decisions based on "probabilities."

I think you "did right" :!: :!:

Best wishes.
Taylor