All About Asset Allocation, Second Edition

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jacob_78

All About Asset Allocation, Second Edition

Post by jacob_78 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:37 am

Hi, Everyone:

I just completed Rick Ferri's book, All About Asset Allocation, and was wondering if and why I should purchase the second edition. Has anyone picked this up yet?

Thanks,

Topic Author
jacob_78

Post by jacob_78 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 am

Also, what about William's Bernstein's updated version of the Four Pillars of Investing?

ddb

Re: All About Asset Allocation, Second Edition

Post by ddb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 am

jacob_78 wrote:I just completed Rick Ferri's book, All About Asset Allocation, and was wondering if and why I should purchase the second edition. Has anyone picked this up yet?
You may find this recent thread of interest.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

anthau

Post by anthau » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:31 am

And Dr. Bernstein himself writes it's not worth picking up his new edition just for the postscript.
Best, | | Anth

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 am

For you, it's not worth getting any of the newer editions.

maxfax

Post by maxfax » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:52 am

Beats me why anyone would think a whole book on asset allocation is worth the time. Start with GICs. When you have a fair whack of dough, start putting incremental savings into stocks. You will find out for yourself what your allocation should be.

SSSS

Post by SSSS » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

maxfax wrote:Beats me why anyone would think a whole book on asset allocation is worth the time. Start with GICs. When you have a fair whack of dough, start putting incremental savings into stocks. You will find out for yourself what your allocation should be.
I tried to reply to this post, but five minutes later, here's all I can say:

What?

kayman

Post by kayman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm

SSSS wrote:
maxfax wrote:Beats me why anyone would think a whole book on asset allocation is worth the time. Start with GICs. When you have a fair whack of dough, start putting incremental savings into stocks. You will find out for yourself what your allocation should be.

What?
Haha - same here. *scratching head*

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:51 pm

kayman wrote:
SSSS wrote:

What?
Haha - same here. *scratching head*
I think what we have here is some cross-border language confusion. maxfax said he was Canadian on an earlier post. A GIC in Canada is what we call a CD in the USA.

maxfax -

In the US, a GIC is an insurance product normally only available through larger employer-sponsored retirement plans. You might want to make a note of this to avoid confusion in the future.