What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

What's your U.S. : International ratio?

100:0
31
5%
80:20
105
16%
70:30
155
23%
60:40
116
17%
60:40
116
17%
50:50
119
18%
40:60
10
1%
30:70
10
1%
20:80
12
2%
 
Total votes: 674

Tamalak
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by Tamalak » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Actin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am
90% US 10% int

International just drags a VTSAX portfolio down
Boy it sure does, especially recently. I don't like calculating where I'd be if I had gone all US instead of world cap.

Not even tempted to change it, though. Stay the course :mrgreen:

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 14080
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Tamalak wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm
Actin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am
90% US 10% int

International just drags a VTSAX portfolio down
Boy it sure does, especially recently. I don't like calculating where I'd be if I had gone all US instead of world cap.

Not even tempted to change it, though. Stay the course :mrgreen:
In the past tense, that was correct. I am not certain at all about the future.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

columbia
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by columbia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Tamalak wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm
Actin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am
90% US 10% int

International just drags a VTSAX portfolio down
Boy it sure does, especially recently. I don't like calculating where I'd be if I had gone all US instead of world cap.

Not even tempted to change it, though. Stay the course :mrgreen:

If you actually do calculate it, you might be tempted.

mbasherp
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by mbasherp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm

2:1

Some say that's too much, some say anything less than market weight is too little. For whatever reason, I've felt this is an elegantly simple middle ground.

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 27516
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Bogleheads:

I probably answered this old thread long ago. Anyhow, here is my solution:

How Much International Stock -- A Suggestion

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Tamalak
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by Tamalak » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 pm

columbia wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm
Tamalak wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm
Actin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am
90% US 10% int

International just drags a VTSAX portfolio down
Boy it sure does, especially recently. I don't like calculating where I'd be if I had gone all US instead of world cap.

Not even tempted to change it, though. Stay the course :mrgreen:

If you actually do calculate it, you might be tempted.
I actually did. No I'm not tempted. Granted, I've only been invested since Sept. 2015. Domestic REAL returns in those less than three years have been 40%. International 20%. Mine 30%. Life is good :sharebeer

...Just not as good as life for those smug Bogle-following USA-tilters! :D

lostdog
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by lostdog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Forgot about 2017 already?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48632
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 pm

I let the experts figure out the ratio. How? Just match the ratio used in the target date funds. See: Approximating Vanguard target date funds

Guidance is provided here: How to build a lazy portfolio, which is how we help new investors build a portfolio from the choices provided in their employer's 401(k) plan.

If anyone needs help with this, start a thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

analogsavior
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by analogsavior » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Currently 75:25 US to International stocks. Been thinking of moving going 67:33% US to international when I next revise my IPS to better align with my current views on global diversification.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12974
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

We are presently 60% domestic and 40% international for equities. Bonds are presently 100% domestic and on the fence about international bonds in the future.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12974
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 pm

I would not be surprised if in the future Vanguard investment experts recommend 50% domestic and 50% international with the Target and LifeStrategy funds.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

columbia
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by columbia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 pm
I would not be surprised if in the future Vanguard investment experts recommend 50% domestic and 50% international with the Target and LifeStrategy funds.
I agree.

That, however, doesn’t mean that it would or will be the optimal choice.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 14080
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am

columbia wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 pm
I would not be surprised if in the future Vanguard investment experts recommend 50% domestic and 50% international with the Target and LifeStrategy funds.
I agree.

That, however, doesn’t mean that it would or will be the optimal choice.
I agree.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Hukedonfonix4me
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:24 am

80% US/20% INTL

We only had a developed international index available so the above includes 0% emerging markets exposure...
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Post Reply