Question about financial periodicals

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
MM07

Post by MM07 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm

I am new to this forum and let me say that I am very impressed by the depth and scope of the topics discussed on this board.

However, I do have a question. I have seen book lists on here numerous times but I have never seen a list of recommended periodicals, newsletters, journals, etc. I know that the majority of this stuff is trash, but I was curious if there were any that were recommended.

Also are there are any radio shows that are of interest. I have listened to several, but they are either garbage or focus 99% on personal finance with only about 1% on actual investing. I have also heard of few that offer the philosophies that most on this forum adhere to.

Thanks, for any help and let me apologize if this has been posted before.
Last edited by MM07 on Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue May 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey MM07,

Welcome here.
:lol:

WSJ seem to be the best of the lot IMHO, although I do admit to thumbing thru Kiplinger, Money, and Forbes from time to time when I'm at the library. I'm too cheap to spend money on any of the pubs. I guess that says a lot about the value I place on them.

Again, welcome here. Good post.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Consider purchasing any good investment book on mutual funds that are list on this site such as Taylor's Gems. You will be glad you invested the time and effort.

bob90245

Re: Question about financial periodicals

Post by bob90245 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 pm

I don't think you will find Boglehead-like periodicals. This forum, some other websites and a tiny number of print columnists will advocate those investing principles.

For general personal finance, you'll find a wider selection like Money and Kiplingers.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Vanguard publishes white papers from time to time which I guess could be considered "articles" in a periodical.

http://www.fpajournal.org/CurrentIssue/TableofContents/ is available as well with a few worthwhile articles.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

MONEY magazine

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi MM:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

In my opinion, MONEY is the best of the personal finance magazines.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

GammaPoint

Re: MONEY magazine

Post by GammaPoint » Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi MM:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

In my opinion, MONEY is the best of the personal finance magazines.
I would agree with this. 'Smart Money' is much worse than Money imo.

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Tue May 18, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm obviously biased, given that I'm a blogger, but I'd suggest checking out and/or subscribing to some on-topic blogs.

A few examples, written by fellow Bogleheads:
http://thefinancebuff.com/
http://amateurassetallocator.com/
http://www.fivecentnickel.com/
http://theincidentaleconomist.com/
http://www.obliviousinvestor.com/
Mike Piper, author/blogger

jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc » Tue May 18, 2010 4:13 pm

mickeyd wrote:WSJ seem to be the best of the lot IMHO...

I prefer the FT but I work in fixed income derivatives. WSJ never covered that aspect of the markets very well, even before Murdoch started taking it down market.

I always enjoy Barrons when I read it, though I've never subscribed.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm

It's not a Boglehead-type publication, but I'm a Barrons subscriber (using frequent flyer miles) and I enjoy reading it every Saturday. I just have an interest in the articles and subject matter, even if I don't totally invest my money in that manner.

Reading it kinda makes me feel like an old rich guy, which is nice sometimes. :P

I also read Money or Kiplingers magazine if I see it in a library or bookstore.

I read what little of the WSJ you can get online for free each morning. I'll sometimes buy it to read on the plane when traveling.

Karamatsu

Post by Karamatsu » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm

I think a lot comes down to what perspective you're interested in, and how much you have time for without the publication going straight from mailbox to recycling bin. I find the macro view interesting in and of itself. Publications that make actual trade recommendations seem pretty much useless, though if you wanted to get into individual corporate bonds it might be worthwhile.

I could imagine a Boglehead newsletter...you'd have to decide what your AA will be when you subscribe, and then every month the newsletter's recommended portfolio would be exactly that. "Just keep doing what you're doing." I guess if there had to be new content it could always have movie reviews.

MM07

Post by MM07 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 am

Thank you for all of the responses and suggestions.

I have a background in finance and have read just about every investment book that is similar to the philosophies that I use. (btw great job on the Bogleheads guide to retirement planning) So I would say that my foundation is fairly stable.

However, I was just looking for a weekly or monthly (even quarterly) periodical that can keep investors with our philosophies informed of any changes or updates. Things such as comparisons of different asset classes in portfolios and maybe a new fund or etf that tracks an asset class that was previously inaccessable to retail investors. Things of that nature. Heck even some economic or personal finance news if they are having trouble finding anything of substance to look at.

Your replies confirm what I feared, which is that there really isn't a publication that fits my beliefs or the majority of the beliefs on this forum other than a few nuggets here and there from MONEY, Kiplingers, etc. The closest I have seen is William Bernstein's quarterly journal, but that is about it. I don't mind reading a computer screen for information but when I am traveling or away from a computer I would like to have some kind of print material to cure my investing itch.

You guys are the main reason why I have this problem. After reading the posts on here and the links posted, I feel like a college graduate who is forced to read a first grade spelling textbook when I try to read the mainstream print.

Agains thank you so much for such a first rate site with such first rate informed contributors.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am

The NYTimes business section and their YourMoney section is enough to keep you up to date. The articles from the NYTimes and WSJ are often linked on this forum to start discussions. Yes, it is not a hardcopy without a purchase of the newspapers, but all the articles are readable on a blackberry or other PDA, just as this forum is. :)

walkinwood

Post by walkinwood » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 am

Try the Journal of Financial Planning
http://www.fpajournal.org/

I've found a lot of good material there. The articles are available for free online in the month that they are published, so save anything that you think you may need to reference in the future.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

walkinwood wrote:Try the Journal of Financial Planning
http://www.fpajournal.org/

I've found a lot of good material there. The articles are available for free online in the month that they are published, so save anything that you think you may need to reference in the future.
Interesting. I hadn't looked at that before. It seems like the articles might be pretty good.

Tuxx

Post by Tuxx » Wed May 19, 2010 10:41 am

I listen to financial podcasts when I go for my daily walk.

Stopped with the periodicals about 2003.