Excel add-in for MSN Money quotes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
RetiredInNH

Excel add-in for MSN Money quotes

Post by RetiredInNH »

CyberBob

Web Query

Post by CyberBob »

What's the difference between this and the standard Moneycentral stock quote web query that's already in Excel?

Bob
Topic Author
RetiredInNH

Post by RetiredInNH »

Bob,

I was unaware of the functionality of the Tools -> Research -> MSN Money Stock Quotes, thanks for pointing it out to me.

I believe that the add-in adds substantial functionality. Here is how I have set up my spreadsheet (row 3, others are similar):

Column B: Fund name
Column G: Ticker
Column H: =MSNStockQuote(G3)

Just clicking Data ->Stock Quotes from MSN Money -> Update Quotes (or just inputting "/dqu" from the keyboard) will update all prices in my spreadsheet. Can you do that with the standard tool?
CyberBob

Web Query

Post by CyberBob »

RetiredInNH wrote:Can you do that with the standard tool?
Yes, but it's not something specific to that query. It works with every web query. The stock quote is just one that they pre-loaded as a useful example so you wouldn't have to do it yourself. The web query option actually allows you to take any information from any web page and import it and you can refresh automatically or via the 'refresh' button on one of the toolbars.

Bob
Topic Author
RetiredInNH

Post by RetiredInNH »

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. "There are many roads to Dublin", as we say.

The reason I use the add-in is that I searched for the quotes functionality with Google (rather than with Excel Help) and that is what I was led to.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

I'm running Excel 2000 and it doesn't look like the stock-quote capability is available in this older version.

Anyone know if this functionality can be d/l'ed and added to 2000???

David
edge

Been using this for a while

Post by edge »

In Excel 2003. Very helpful for building a custom way to view asset allocation.
dimbulb

Post by dimbulb »

Can this do historical quotes and pull other ratios/data (ala Bloomberg's Excel addin)?
earlyout

Not available for Excel 2000

Post by earlyout »

TnGuy -- The add-in is not available (won't work) for Excel 2000. If you want a challange, and like to write VBA code, Gummy has some good examples that you can modify to pull quotes into Excel 2000.

EO
Black Knights

Post by Black Knights »

Any hope for Mac OS X users of Excel 2004 :?:
Jed
NAVigator

dumb mistake...

Post by NAVigator »

This sounds like a great functionality to have.

I have used Excel 2000 since it came out. My employer has a special arrangement with Microsoft to offer a tremendous discount on Office to employees. I was given a choice between Office 2003 and Office XP. I figured since one is called XP, that must be the new naming scheme for Microsoft and therefore it must be newer that Office 2003. Well, I installed it a couple of nights ago and saw the copyright of 2002 on Office XP. Grrr. Stupid Microsoft product names!!! Now I will have to buy a newer version to get this excel capability.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Topic Author
RetiredInNH

Post by RetiredInNH »

TnGuy wrote:I'm running Excel 2000 and it doesn't look like the stock-quote capability is available in this older version.

I was hoping that CyberBob, who obviously knows more about Excel than I do, would reply.

My take is that the add-in is incompatible with earlier releases of Excel, but Excel 2000 does have the Data -> Get External Data -> New Web Query capability. I suspect that this will require a bit more work to set up in the first place, but once in place I expect that Data -> Get External Data -> Run Saved Query should get the updated data. Warning: I have not tried this myself!!
dimbulb wrote:Can this do historical quotes and pull other ratios/data (ala Bloomberg's Excel addin)?
No, but if you have a web source of such data I suppose the Web Query mechanism should allow you to retrieve it.
RetiredInNH wrote:Here is how I have set up my spreadsheet (row 3, others are similar):

Column B: Fund name
Column G: Ticker
Column H: =MSNStockQuote(G3)
To further demonstrate the functionality of the add-in I should have added that I also have:

Column I: =MSNStockQuote(G3, "Date")

This gives me the date of the quote. For full functionality see the MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quotes help page. Clicking on "Show All" near the top of the page will reveal all the details.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

earlyout wrote:TnGuy -- The add-in is not available (won't work) for Excel 2000. If you want a challange, and like to write VBA code, Gummy has some good examples that you can modify to pull quotes into Excel 2000.

EO
RetiredInNH wrote:I was hoping that CyberBob, who obviously knows more about Excel than I do, would reply.

My take is that the add-in is incompatible with earlier releases of Excel, but Excel 2000 does have the Data -> Get External Data -> New Web Query capability. I suspect that this will require a bit more work to set up in the first place, but once in place I expect that Data -> Get External Data -> Run Saved Query should get the updated data. Warning: I have not tried this myself!!

Thanks for the replies. Sometime within the next few months I'll be upgrading my ol' Model T for a new Vista - and will be also be getting the new version of Office, too. In the meantime, I won't attempt to "re-invent the wheel" when it comes to Excel 2000 and be patient until the new version is on my desk.

David
CyberBob

Excel Web Queries

Post by CyberBob »

RetiredInNH wrote:
TnGuy wrote:I'm running Excel 2000 and it doesn't look like the stock-quote capability is available in this older version.

I was hoping that CyberBob, who obviously knows more about Excel than I do, would reply.

Yes, the above is the general procedure for how to do a web query with Excel 2000.
But if you just want quotes, you don't need a new query. That standard, built-in query is also included in Excel 2000; it's just accessed slightly differently:
  • - On the Data menu, click Get External Data, and then click Run Saved Query.
    - In the file list in the Run Query dialog box, click Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy.
    - Click Get Data.
    - In the Returning Data to Microsoft Excel dialog box, click OK.
    - In the Enter Parameter dialog box, type the stock symbol for which you want to return a quote. For example, for Vanguard's 500 index fund, enter VFINX.
    - Click OK.
Black Knights wrote:Any hope for Mac OS X users of Excel 2004
As far as I can tell, Microsoft hosed you. But according to Microsoft Support, you can write them using SimpleText, although that's hardly a simple solution. This web query template may be helpful. Unfortunately, my experience is limited with Microsoft stuff on the Mac. Most Mac people I know use the OS X port of OpenOffice, called NeoOffice.

Hope that helps,
Bob
(Running Ubuntu Linux and OpenOffice) :wink:
TnGuy

Re: Excel Web Queries

Post by TnGuy »

CyberBob wrote:Yes, the above is the general procedure for how to do a web query with Excel 2000.
But if you just want quotes, you don't need a new query. That standard, built-in query is also included in Excel 2000; it's just accessed slightly differently:
  • - On the Data menu, click Get External Data, and then click Run Saved Query.
    - In the file list in the Run Query dialog box, click Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy.
    - Click Get Data.
    - In the Returning Data to Microsoft Excel dialog box, click OK.
    - In the Enter Parameter dialog box, type the stock symbol for which you want to return a quote. For example, for Vanguard's 500 index fund, enter VFINX.
    - Click OK.

I did the above mentioned steps but got the following error message in a Microsoft Excel window after clicking the last OK button - "Unable to open http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/ ... MBOL=VFINX. The internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404)"

Is it possible that the quotes now come from a different site than the one that Excel 2000 wants to look in?

David
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

TnGuy wrote:"Unable to open http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/ ... MBOL=VFINX. The internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404)"
Is it possible that the quotes now come from a different site than the one that Excel 2000 wants to look in?
Try this one:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/mark ... mbol=vfinx

Or at Yahoo! Finance:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=vfinx

Those addresses may not work with the built-in query. In that case, just start a new web query with those addresses. You then may have to select the table on that page that shows the quote. Otherwise it may import the whole page.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

CyberBob wrote:Try this one:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/mark ... mbol=vfinx

Or at Yahoo! Finance:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=vfinx

Those addresses may not work with the built-in query. In that case, just start a new web query with those addresses. You then may have to select the table on that page that shows the quote. Otherwise it may import the whole page.

I just tried the above and it did end up importing all of the page data. Is there a way to just retrieve individual items such as quote, previous close, etc?

David
Warner

Post by Warner »

Looks like it is currently broken in Excel 2007.
this add-in works in Excel 2007 - Stock Market Functions (SMF)

Documentation & the add-in are in the "Files" section.