Robert Prechter and Elliott Wave Theory

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Gekko

Robert Prechter and Elliott Wave Theory

Post by Gekko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:18 am

MASSIVE MARKET CRASH A `SURE THING,' WARNS A LONELY …
$2.95 - Deseret News - NewsBank - Nov 19, 1995
Dave Allman, assistant to Bob Prechter, who founded Elliott Wave International of Gainesville, Ga., says some 80 percent of all money invested in mutual ...
All 128 related - Related web pages

ON STATE STREET Fidelity in winner's circle if Iacocca, Kerkorian can...
Pay-Per-View - Boston Herald - ProQuest Archiver - Apr 13, 1995
Since November, Bob Prechter and his staff have been predicting a brief rally in the early part of 1995, followed by a long, devastating downtick, ...

BRACING FOR A MARKET APOCALYPSE
BusinessWeek - Nov 18, 1996
So says market prognosticator Robert Prechter

As always, the best of intentions // 1996: Beginning a new year with...
Pay-Per-View - USA TODAY - ProQuest Archiver - Dec 28, 1995
Stock market-watcher Robert Prechter who has been predicting a market plummet for years: "I've been working too much so I'm going to take some time off

Is This Bubble Really Puncture-Proof?
New York Times - Jan 29, 1994
Robert Prechter, who publishes the Global Market Perspective, writes that "current market risk is unprecedented in US history.

A weekly roundup of market forecasts and investment advice compiled...
$2.95 - Fresno Bee - NewsBank - May 1, 1994
Robert Prechter, of the Elliott Wave Theorist, says, "Based on long-term trends, the bear market has hardly begun. We'll see a collapse into late April or ...

Ride That Wave! - Barrons.com
Barron's - Oct 26, 1998
The following morning Prechter riveted an overflow crowd in the Hyatt's main ... For lying dead ahead, according to Prechter, is a US stock-market crash of ...

1995: The good, the bad and the ugly
Pay-Per-View - USA TODAY - ProQuest Archiver - Dec 29, 1995
One of this year's best is Tidal Wave by Robert Prechter. It paints an almost irresponsibly grim picture of the stock market but is must reading for its ...

-----

S&P 500 ANNUAL TOTAL RETURNS

Year Return
1999 21.04%
1998 28.58%
1997 33.36%
1996 22.96%
1995 37.58%

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:47 am

Pretcher lives and publishes in Gainesville, a medium size town just north of Atlanta, so very often during the 90's his doom and gloom would get in the local papers and news media.

Amazing how much milage one can get on one accurate (LUCKY) prediction: he advised his clients to get out of the market just before the Oct '87 crash.
Unfortunately for them, as far as I can tell, he never advised them to get back in! :(

Wayne
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 am

If you want waves go to the beach. :roll:

Paul

m_j_paquette

Post by m_j_paquette » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 pm

He's highly entertaining, particularly for fans of the near-future megadisaster novel. Recent forecasts call for new lows that are half of the March 2009 lows, bond market collapse, a Grand Supercycle collapse (100 years of bear market?), cats and dogs living together...

Somebody must have broken a whole bunch of mirrors... :roll:

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

m_j_paquette wrote:He's highly entertaining, particularly for fans of the near-future megadisaster novel. Recent forecasts call for new lows that are half of the March 2009 lows, bond market collapse, a Grand Supercycle collapse (100 years of bear market?), cats and dogs living together...

Somebody must have broken a whole bunch of mirrors... :roll:
I wonder if he has the courage to put his money where his mouth is and short the market. I strongly doubt it.

On second thought, if he really does believe his own predictions, he likely is broke, since he has been preaching this same message for 20 years+.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

Levett

Post by Levett » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Gekko,

It's amazing that Prechter gets any attention. Then again the sell the sizzle types play well in the media.

A number of years ago someone did a send-up of Prechter and referred to "the Idiot Wave." :lol: Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:22 am

I feel sea-sick.

Thanks
SP-diceman