Yahoo Finance website issues

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
HanSolo

Yahoo Finance website issues

Post by HanSolo »

[I'm editing the thread title, was "Did Yahoo Finance lose all pre-2019 mutual fund data?", now "Yahoo Finance website issues", because another issue with that site, reported by boater07, got merged into this thread. While I or others may discuss additional Yahoo Finance issues here, the specific issue I reported in this, the original post, seems to have been resolved, see post below ( viewtopic.php?p=7805965#p7805965 )].

I'm checking price history of mutual funds on Yahoo Finance. Up until recently, they normally included historical price data back to each fund's inception. Today, all the mutual funds I'm looking up there (e.g., VFINX / VFIAX) have data going back no farther than 2019. Data for stocks, ETFs and indexes still go back prior to 2019.

What happened to the pre-2019 mutual fund data? Did Yahoo simply decide they don't want to display it anymore?
Last edited by HanSolo on Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Did Yahoo Finance lose all pre-2019 mutual fund data?

Post by nisiprius »

I am seeing the same thing. If it isn't just a temporary glitch, that's a major bummer and has just put a spoke in the wheel of a little project I've spent twenty or thirty hours on.

I can pin down "recently." The last Yahoo! Finance historical data file I downloaded was vwelx.csv on 3/11/2024, and it contained data back to 1980. So the change has happened since 3/11/2024.

These results are for MITTX, for whatever that's worth. The time period shown was the result of clicking "MAX," and you see the error comment evoked by trying to enter 1990.

Morningstar used to show back-to-inception most of the time, but often showed only the last ten years on Sundays. So maybe it's just a Yahoo glitch, but the explicit warning in red doesn't look good.

Alas, the days of a wonderful wealth of free services on the Internet are clearly drawing to an end. It's the "platform decay" of the whole Internet.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
boater07

Yahoo Finance --Beserk

Post by boater07 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

What's going on with Yahoo? They show maket gains today when the actual mkt is down big time
jebmke

Re: Yahoo Finance --Beserk

Post by jebmke »

Try WSJ. Yahoo is often wrong.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

I’ve been on YFi all day (since the futures!) and it has been accurate - never positive today, consistently about 1% down for SP500. I’ve been using the App and website.

It’s green here? https://finance.yahoo.com/
boater07

Post by boater07 »

Mine has now also corrected. Thanks
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I track my portfolio there, my portfolio is about $200K higher on the displayed graph vs the actual numbers (correct) displayed - contradicting each other, looks like some bugs on their end.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I haven't had problems today but in general Yahoo Finance is buggy.

- Sometimes it'll show -100% for change in the 10 year yield (esp in the evenings).
- Very often the yield on stocks is incorrect. I once bought a stock because I saw a high yield on there only to discover it was much lower.
- There are times when none of the numbers in the header will show up in the display.

They tend to have a lot of recycled content in their articles. Many articles express views that are months or even years old.

I'm not sure where else to go, though. But it's important to know if I see something weird, I better double check elsewhere before letting it affect my heart rate!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Coincidentally or not, as noted in this thread,Yahoo! Finance historical data, even at the MAX setting, now goes back only to 2019. This happened within the last few weeks. Previously it had gone back to fund inception.

I have no idea whether this is just a temporary glitch, or whether it is a deliberate crippling of the website.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged boater07's thread into a similar discussion. The combined thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (investing data).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Mysteriously, I'm finding today that a few mutual funds have had their longer-term data restored, including VTSAX, VFIAX, PRITX (T.R.Price International Stock) and PFUIX (Pimco International Bond). Various others I checked are still truncated to 2019, including VBTLX, RPIBX (T.R.Price International Bond), MITTX (mentioned above) and FMAGX (Magellan).
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

HanSolo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:40 pm Mysteriously, I'm finding today that a few mutual funds have had their longer-term data restored, including VTSAX, VFIAX, PRITX (T.R.Price International Stock) and PFUIX (Pimco International Bond). Various others I checked are still truncated to 2019, including VBTLX, RPIBX (T.R.Price International Bond), MITTX (mentioned above) and FMAGX (Magellan).
A couple more spot checks. In all cases, I'll list the starting year. Did they previously go back to inception or only to 1980?

VWELX, 1980. (Inception was in 1929).
VWINX, 2019.
VGTSX, 2019.
DODGX, 2019.
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm
HanSolo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:40 pm Mysteriously, I'm finding today that a few mutual funds have had their longer-term data restored, including VTSAX, VFIAX, PRITX (T.R.Price International Stock) and PFUIX (Pimco International Bond). Various others I checked are still truncated to 2019, including VBTLX, RPIBX (T.R.Price International Bond), MITTX (mentioned above) and FMAGX (Magellan).
A couple more spot checks. In all cases, I'll list the starting year. Did they previously go back to inception or only to 1980?

VWELX, 1980. (Inception was in 1929).
VWINX, 2019.
VGTSX, 2019.
DODGX, 2019.
I don't remember how far back the Yahoo data previously went for funds that have longer histories.

VWELX is obviously a special case in that it's older than Vanguard (just like, as you mentioned, VWINX, and some others, like VWUSX). I don't know if that has an effect on limiting the data on Yahoo (due to being a different ticker and/or some difference in record-keeping, or maybe Vanguard limiting the data it provides on them). I probably looked at it before, and I don't think it ever went back to 1929 on Yahoo, because that would stick out in my mind.

Mysteriously again, the ones you and I mentioned above as being truncated to 2019 are now showing data going back multiple decades. Maybe things are back to normal now.

Yahoo = Yet Another Heinous Operational Oversight?
BenS

Post by BenS »

Dear Bogleheads,

Yahoo Finance and their data library has recently gone through some renovations and updates. As you may have noticed earlier in the year dividends for 2023 for mutual funds were mostly missing.

I contacted this email address: finance.support@yahooinc.com and sent screen shots of the offending mutual funds (Vanguard and DFA). They have since fixed the list I sent them. Please note this may take several iterations, as you have to get the correct engineer to help resolve the problem.

Hope this helps!