What's Been The Best Investment of Your Lifetime?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

What's Been The Best Investment of Your Lifetime?

Post by JustGotScammed »

Financially speaking in terms of largest gain on a single investment.
Raycpact

Re: What's Been The Best Investment of Your Lifetime?

Post by Raycpact »

My employees.
Johm221122

Re: Largest Gain On A Single Investment: What's Been The Best Investment of Your Lifetime?

Post by Johm221122 »

Dollar per dollar match unlimited in my first 401k.

Unfortunately it was only like $7,000 a year because I didn't make much back then. But I got it for almost 4 years
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

VTSAX for >20 years. > 8% average.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

My house!
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this, but engagement ring. If that doesn't count, then it's just VTSAX.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

My very long term holding NVDA by far. About 450x currently.
Last edited by hicabob on Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

A career that will result in a pension and discounted health insurance for the rest of my life. It provides a lot of flexibility in my life going forward.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

My co-op in Brooklyn. Wasn't intended to be but I'll take it.
cosmos

Re: Largest Gain On A Single Investment: What's Been The Best Investment of Your Lifetime?

Post by cosmos »

Johm221122 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:51 pm Dollar per dollar match unlimited in my first 401k.

Unfortunately it was only like $7,000 a year because I didn't make much back then. But I got it for almost 4 years
Had a similar 401k in early 2000s and only for about 2 years unfortunately. You had to be at the company for one year before you could participate and then it was 100% match with no cap up to the max 401k per year at the time. There were folks who had been there for 15 years or longer with very large 401k balances. Then they sold the company to a management firm since IPO post dotcom was out of the question and all of these perks went out the window along with a move out of state. :)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Academic and financial education.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Wife selection.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My education
gohawks206

Post by gohawks206 »

After a crummy job in my late-teens/early-20's, I realized I'd been auto-enrolled in a 401k and received a pay-out of ~$400-500.

I figured out how to open an IRA, but it was before I learned about indexing... I put it all in $MSFT, which turned out to work well, it's grown about 17x since then. I've since been trimming back my positions and using target-date funds in my tax-advantaged accounts and VTI in taxable.

Only wish I'd had been able to dump more back then ;)

Besides that, engagement ring, going back to school, etc, have opened up a lot of great opportunities.
If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable.
chw

Post by chw »

Various job changes (which I viewed as a career investment) mid career, which were very lucrative in various sales roles (commission based positions).
jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

If a single, one time investment, it is buying an IPO in a bank start up in the last 1980's. The bank was later bought by First Citizens. As of today, my First Citizens shares are worth 68 times what I paid for the IPO.

If it is total dollar return, it is my commercial property.
Coach
halbschatten

Post by halbschatten »

Exercised my options at a startup. Already an 80x return from what I've sold of it. Pretty good.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

AAPL: shares of Apple, Inc. (by far).
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

I'm not really sure, and perhaps more importantly, I'm not really sure I would learn anything useful if I did figure out what my single best investment was, and why it was so. This is a really good question precisely because it got me to this realization.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I bought a Bay Area house listed for $500k in 2010 with a $15k down payment. Making minimum payments on the mortgage since then resulted in $200k of equity while appreciation resulted in an additional $800k of equity. The home purchase wasn’t meant to be an investment.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My "Best" may not be the most profitable -- I've never tried to figure that out. It would be my first mutual fund. The one that got me started in investing: Dodge & Cox Stock Fund.

I had invested my little IRA in CDs, back in the day when the annual contribution limit was $2k. The CDs were maturing, and I had been advised that I need to invest in the stock market if I wanted my money to grow for retirement. I knew nothing about investing, but Consumer Reports just happened to publish a feature on mutual funds, so used that to educate myself. I learned that the key figure to keep an eye on was not past performance but the ER.

From the CR list of no-load stock funds, I selected the D&C fund, opened an IRA with D&C, and put in the few thousand dollars from the matured CDs. A couple of years later, I transferred the balance of my 401k when I left a job. I think my total investment was about $22k. I just left it on autopilot, checking statements quarterly, and about two decades later, my IRA had grown to almost $200k. I eventually sold the D&C shares and put the money into my Boglehead 4-fund portfolio at Vanguard. (Post-retirement simplification.) That move was almost emotional -- dumping My First -- but I have no regrets.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

hicabob wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:20 pm My very long term holding NVDA by far. About 450x currently.
Me too. I put $30,000 into NVDA and had a 10 bagger about 2 years later. Thought I was pretty smart cashing in a 10 bagger. Would have been a 100 bagger if I didn't sell.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

Back about 1995 an old college friend went to work for Monster Beverage in Southern California.

He told me to buy some Monster Beverage stock & suggested I invest $10,000 because “it can’t miss”! $10,000 was a lot of money for me at the time.

I didn’t take all of his advice, but did invest $1,000. That $1,000 investment in Monster stock is worth over $4,000,000!

….

The worst investment decision of my life…selling my Monster Beverage stock in September 2003 for about $4,000 for a new car down payment.

bill
Last edited by billfromct on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

My education and my family.
wander

Post by wander »

Education. Investing in myself results best return.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

EdNorton wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:41 pm
hicabob wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:20 pm My very long term holding NVDA by far. About 450x currently.
Me too. I put $30,000 into NVDA and had a 10 bagger about 2 years later. Thought I was pretty smart cashing in a 10 bagger. Would have been a 100 bagger if I didn't sell.
:sharebeer
Peter Lynch called that “pulling out the flowers and watering the weeds”, the first half of that anyway.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Paying for a techncal school for programming. Gave me a good career.
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

1. Degree in Electrical Engineering
2. House
3. MBA
4. NVDA
5. TSLA

My biggest financial loss was getting married and divorced.
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

billfromct wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:02 pm Back about 1995 an old college friend went to work for Monster Beverage in Southern California.

He told me to buy some Monster Beverage stock & suggested I invest $10,000 because “it can’t miss”! $10,000 was a lot of money for me at the time.

I didn’t take all of his advice, but did invest $1,000. That $1,000 investment in Monster stock is worth over $4,000,000!

….

The worst investment decision of my life…selling my Monster Beverage stock in September 2003 for about $4,000 for a new car down payment.

bill
April Fools!!

But I wish I knew about Monster Beverage back in 1995!

bill
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

1. Gold wedding band for spouse

2. Commercial real
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

1. MSFT +127164%
2. NVDA +3219%
3. TSLA +582%
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Bought a bay area house, and sold it 3 years later for almost 40% more when relocating. The gains basically zero'd out the 3 years of equivalent rent and doubled my money in 3 years. Leverage is amazing when things go your way.

Probably the best was NVDA stock, which has doubled in well under 3 years (and done so repeatedly).
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

My best investment was my Ph.D., which enabled me to work in a career that I like and that pays well. This was an investment of money as well as time, as I didn't have much money while in graduate school.

My best financial investment was contributing to the 403(b) when I first had the opportunity, with a 2-for-1 match on a 5% contribution. This was a relatively small investment, but it has had years to grow, first in the 403(b) and later in the Roth IRA to which I rolled it over. (I also invested in an IRA and a taxable account at the same time, and those have had just as many years to grow but without the match.)

My best investment fund is Total Stock Market. This is the first fund I bought, and the only one of my early purchases that I still hold. I hold it in a taxable account, so I have not quite gotten the full market return; I lose a small amount every year to expenses and dividend taxes.
Wiki David Grabiner
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Our children's education. DW and I told them we would pay entire cost for undergraduate education wherever they attended. Twelve straight years of college costs, but they graduated without any student loans, which allowed them to save for and purchase their own homes. That, and also Amazon back when.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I've bought and sold AAPL, AMZN, TSLA, COST, Bitcoins, etc., but our best investment is our weekend lake home. Kids, in-laws, grandkids, family and friends enjoy the heck out of it. Good memories are made there when we get together.

TravelforFun
JimmyfromSunPrairie

Post by JimmyfromSunPrairie »

Farmland
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I noticed that no one nominated Financial Peace University. LOL

I'll give a serious comment, though. My (actual) education.

Second best was fireworks that I bought at high volume wholesale prices. I spent my life savings on them, and a few days later I had sold them all and had to buy more.
Jbzeus

Post by Jbzeus »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:38 pm Wife selection.
+1 Me too!
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

That investment that begins with a b that we are not allowed to talk about here
Columbia85

Post by Columbia85 »

A large investment in General Electric shortly after Larry Culp became CEO. Lots of risk, some big ups-and-downs when pandemic hammered everything. But it's paid off, especially over the last year. If younger might let this winner run, but better at this point to re-allocate into bond index holdings to get allocation back on target. Never been too keen on individual stock but had a lot of faith in Culp after what he achieved at Danaher. Barron's (Al Root) recently did a good story on how Culp brought GE back from the brink by breaking it up.
NashTransplant

Post by NashTransplant »

1. Marriage 2. Education 3. My home.
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:28 pm My co-op in Brooklyn. Wasn't intended to be but I'll take it.
Same here. 2 bed/2 bath co-op on the Upper West Side. Bought in 98, sold just before the crash in 2008.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

Gotta be a long-term Berkshire shareholder somewhere on this site, right?
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

• Marriage -- 39 yrs marriage and never a worry about monthly spending habits.
  • Lawn Mower -- instilled great work ethic (and minor amounts teenage cash) into the hearts of several sons... all now gainfully employed and independent.
  • 80% TDF & 20% SCV -- total fire and forget investment for my 401K/IRAs. In spite of the naysayers, I've yet to do an annual rebalance where the SCV was not ahead of the TDF. I've never looked at my portfolio LESS than with this allocation. See Two Funds for Life & available free book.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Buying house during depressed housing market!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Curly

Post by Curly »

Similar story here. Dodge and Cox Stock Fund was my (our) first serious investment. I was a bit dismayed at what I saw and heard about the market from friends, neighbors, customers, etc. during the crazy 90's. Everyone assured me they were on their way to making millions!! :shock: :shock: I just couldn't accept it and was too scared to "invest" (gamble?) in the market. I at least realized I had no idea what I was doing and should NOT buy stocks like everyone else.

Then I was in the barber shop one day and there was an article in a magazine about this conservative investment firm in San Francisco that had a different approach .... So we moved what little we had in other accounts to Dodge and Cox and stayed there for more than twenty years.

Also similar to your story, it did take me a while to make the break and go (almost) completely to index funds (the only remaining D&C fund we have left is the bond fund DODIX).

GerryL wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:34 pm My "Best" may not be the most profitable -- I've never tried to figure that out. It would be my first mutual fund. The one that got me started in investing: Dodge & Cox Stock Fund.
I eventually sold the D&C shares and put the money into my Boglehead 4-fund portfolio at Vanguard. (Post-retirement simplification.) That move was almost emotional -- dumping My First -- but I have no regrets.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

In 2020 I made $900k in Bitcoin miners. One of them was up 14,000%...thats not a misprint. But I didn't sell a dime. Watched them loose over 85% in 2021. Easy come, Easy go.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Years ago (or maybe even a decade), I bought a single unit of a thing for $100. I met some random guy from Craigslist at Starbucks. It wasn't an investment, but rather I was trying to figure out what the hype was about this thing. He was really nice and advised me on how to secure it, and gave me a crash course. He was a bit of an evangelist. A short time later the value shot up to $1000 and I sold it to buy a TV. That 10x return is probably the best investment I have ever made on a percentage basis.

Now a single unit of that thing is worth over $66k :oops:
IggyJo

Post by IggyJo »

Getting my culinary and hospitality degrees as I approached retirement. I love working in the food industry and it has kept me physically and mentally occupied and alert since I ‘retired’.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Total stock market index funds (VTI, ITOT, SCHB).