VFSUX March End of month dividend missing

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
msimon

VFSUX March End of month dividend missing

Post by msimon »

I noticed that I did not receive an March end of month income dividend distribution for my holding of VFSUX (Short-Term Investment-Grade Fund Admiral shares).

On the fund information page it claims a income distribution of $0.033693 per share was made with record and reinvestment date of 3/28/2024.

Yet no such transaction is listed for my accounts. All my other bond funds received their proper income distributions.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
Geologist

Re: VFSUX March End of month dividend missing

Post by Geologist »

Do you reinvest dividends for this fund or have them paid to your settlement fund? If the latter, then they are paid to the settlement fund on the first business day of the next month, which will be Monday.

If reinvested, there could simply be a delay in posting the transaction.
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

Geologist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am Do you reinvest dividends for this fund or have them paid to your settlement fund? If the latter, then they are paid to the settlement fund on the first business day of the next month, which will be Monday.

If reinvested, there could simply be a delay in posting the transaction.
I reinvest the dividends on all my bond funds. All my other funds show the March end of month dividend distribution being reinvested.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 amI reinvest the dividends on all my bond funds. All my other funds show the March end of month dividend distribution being reinvested.
Check your settings.
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

tetractys wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am
msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 amI reinvest the dividends on all my bond funds. All my other funds show the March end of month dividend distribution being reinvested.
Check your settings.
My VFSUX has always been set to reinvest dividends. The February income dividend was paid and reinvested properly. No change in account settings was made since then.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Probably show up in the next day or so; it always does.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Ordinarily, because Monday is April 1, dividends would be declared on Friday, March 29 and you would be posted overnight Friday so you would see them on Saturday morning. However, since the stock market is closed today for Good Friday, I would guess that resulted in dividends being declared yesterday the 28th instead. However, since this is an exception to the normal process, Io bet Vanguard will post these tonight as they would typically have done if today wasn’t Good Friday.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am
tetractys wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am
Check your settings.
My VFSUX has always been set to reinvest dividends. The February income dividend was paid and reinvested properly. No change in account settings was made since then.
Maybe it has something to do with Good Friday.
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

tetractys wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 amMaybe it has something to do with Good Friday.
Why would Good Friday only affect the distribution for VFSUX and not my other bond funds?
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am Ordinarily, because Monday is April 1, dividends would be declared on Friday, March 29 and you would be posted overnight Friday so you would see them on Saturday morning. However, since the stock market is closed today for Good Friday, I would guess that resulted in dividends being declared yesterday the 28th instead. However, since this is an exception to the normal process, Io bet Vanguard will post these tonight as they would typically have done if today wasn’t Good Friday.
The reinvestment date for this distribution is March 28th therefore the transaction would show up today just like the reinvested income dividend transactions for all my other Vanguard bond funds.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am
Kenkat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am Ordinarily, because Monday is April 1, dividends would be declared on Friday, March 29 and you would be posted overnight Friday so you would see them on Saturday morning. However, since the stock market is closed today for Good Friday, I would guess that resulted in dividends being declared yesterday the 28th instead. However, since this is an exception to the normal process, Io bet Vanguard will post these tonight as they would typically have done if today wasn’t Good Friday.
The reinvestment date for this distribution is March 28th therefore the transaction would show up today just like the reinvested income dividend transactions for all my other Vanguard bond funds.
I doubt anyone here knows -- it is probably a feature or a bug. The last time the calendar month ended on a weekend (September), mine reinvested on the last business day so it seems inconsistent with past results. Most of my bond funds are in brokerage accounts and dividends swept to the settlement account so I expect those to post some time early next week.

I do notice that this fund and the intermediate counterpart do show up in my wife's IRA which is still on the old MF platform. They do not show up on mine which are on the brokerage platform so it seems to be platform dependent.

Again, either a feature or a bug.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

FYI - My VFSUX didn't post either. It'll come eventually.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am
If Vanguard chose to run the process that posts it, it would. The market being closed on the last business day of the month is an unusual occurrence. IT systems don’t like unusual occurrences and they are to be avoided if possible. That’s my theory of what is going on at least.

I bet it will be there tomorrow morning.

A long career in IT taught me that you want repeatable and reliable processes.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am
tetractys wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 amMaybe it has something to do with Good Friday.
Why would Good Friday only affect the distribution for VFSUX and not my other bond funds?
Who knows? But the fact is every fund is a separate entity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tetractys wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm
msimon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am
Who knows? But the fact is every fund is a separate entity.
see my post above; this fund is held in my brokerage IRA and my wife's Mutual Fund IRA. The dividend election is reinvest for both. Yet, it posted in hers on 3/28 and does not appear in mine.

The platforms are different structures so it may be that the dividend is in some kind of clearing account before being reinvested in the fund on the brokerage side.

But I am really just speculating here because we really have no info with which to know what is really going on.
PCFV

short term investment grade fund March interest

Post by PCFV »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I noticed no March interest. My other bond funds declared and paid yesterday. Will it be paid Monday ?

If anyone has any information or can educate me on what I am missing - appreciate it.
Silk McCue

Re: short term investment grade fund March interest

Post by Silk McCue »

What fund is it?

Cheers
Geologist

Re: short term investment grade fund March interest

Post by Geologist »

Already being discussed here, I think: viewtopic.php?p=7793414#p7793414
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Vanguard takes its sweet time to display transactions these days. A pity they are incredibly fast in updating the pending transactions category, instead.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged PCFV's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

I did not get my end of March VFSUX dividends posted today either. I do have some VFSTX (Short Term INVESTOR Shares) funds as well in some of my accounts and those WERE posted. It is just the Admiral Share Funds that have not been posted. Both Investor and Admiral Funds are held in Brokerage accounts as well. They should have been posted today.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

On Vanguard's page listing this fund's distributions, it clearly lists the most recent dividend, with a reinvest date of 3/28/24 and payable date of 4/1/24. Maybe previous distributions were paid a day early at the end of the month, but markets were closed today. So just wait until Monday.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

VFSTX (Investor Shares) and VFSUX (Admiral Shares) have the same distribution dates listed for Record, Reinvest, & Payable. I own both funds and all my dividends in both are reinvested. The VFSTX dividend was distributed and reinvested on Mar. 28 and posted Mar. 29. As were all my other Vanguard bond funds that issue monthly dividends.
The VFSUX dividend is not posted at all as of today, Mar. 30. It should have been. This is a mistake on Vanguard's part. Means you won't see it posted until Tues. April 2 at the earliest on your website. That is only if someone complains on Monday that it did not show up. That means a phone call on Monday and often being put on hold for awhile, which is common these days.
When it is money you are getting, then it is ok for them to drag their feet.
When it is money you owe them, watch how fast they remind you of it.....
They often advertise reminding us that they work for us.
So it is up to us to remind them to get their act together. Put a holiday on the last day of trading in the week, month, and quarter, and they are more concerned with the holiday than making sure dividends are posted promptly.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Sarastro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 am VFSTX (Investor Shares) and VFSUX (Admiral Shares) have the same distribution dates listed for Record, Reinvest, & Payable. I own both funds and all my dividends in both are reinvested. The VFSTX dividend was distributed and reinvested on Mar. 28 and posted Mar. 29. As were all my other Vanguard bond funds that issue monthly dividends.
The VFSUX dividend is not posted at all as of today, Mar. 30. It should have been. This is a mistake on Vanguard's part. Means you won't see it posted until Tues. April 2 at the earliest on your website. That is only if someone complains on Monday that it did not show up. That means a phone call on Monday and often being put on hold for awhile, which is common these days.
So it is up to us to remind them to get their act together. Put a holiday on the last day of trading in the week, month, and quarter, and they are more concerned with the holiday than making sure dividends are posted promptly.
I speculate that some of the above is just speculation :)

Wait until Monday and see how it plays out. Things go wrong at times -- not just at Vanguard, other brokerages too -- and they recognize it and go back and fix it. They have obligations to see these things through. I'm guessing this is one of those times, and you will end up getting your shares reinvested on the right day.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Sarastro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 am Means you won't see it posted until Tues. April 2 at the earliest on your website.
Admittedly an odd situation for only that one fund to have not updated, but the dividends could be posted on Monday morning.

But not a major concern unless you needed those dividends for an urgent expense. It will get sorted out soon.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sarastro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 am VFSTX (Investor Shares) and VFSUX (Admiral Shares) have the same distribution dates listed for Record, Reinvest, & Payable. I own both funds and all my dividends in both are reinvested. The VFSTX dividend was distributed and reinvested on Mar. 28 and posted Mar. 29. As were all my other Vanguard bond funds that issue monthly dividends.
In our MF accounts it was posted on 3/28. Just not my brokerage IRAs
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Settling dividends after the ex-div, so that for a day, or two, one's balance is lower, is fine and expected with stocks/ETF. Not with mutual funds.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

My March 31,2024 statement just posted. VFSUX March div was not included on my statement. VUSFX was.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Nver2Late wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:56 pm My March 31,2024 statement just posted. VFSUX March div was not included on my statement. VUSFX was.
Broker or MF platform? Reinvest or to cash option?
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

The bond market was closed Thursday. Maybe this is the reason.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pm
Nver2Late wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:56 pm My March 31,2024 statement just posted. VFSUX March div was not included on my statement. VUSFX was.
Brokerage. Reinvest dividends.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Nver2Late wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:09 pm
jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pm
Brokerage. Reinvest dividends.
Normally they would be posted by now but this cycle appears not to be. Cash dividends normally post after month-end.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

I will say re-invested dividends in monthly issued bond funds were always provided to the customer (at least in my case) without fail over the last 32 years I have been an investor with Vanguard promptly by the end of the month, even when the last day of the month fell on a Saturday, or Sunday, or Holiday.
Since they "encouraged" investors to create brokerage accounts for mutual fund only investor accounts a few years back, mishaps have been occurring, such as this incident now.
I have significant dividends being produced at the end of every month in my case, and in this case, the end of a quarter. I have to gather all that information of business income as well as realized passive income from many different sources, not just at Vanguard, and process it all by April 15 in this case, as I have to pay quarterly income taxes on it all, both state and federal, by that date.
So for me it is not a case of just seeing what I made in dividends in my posts come the end of the quarter. I have a window of two weeks to process all that info to determine my quarterly tax liability.
So I have a legitimate reason for griping when it is not posted promptly and now have to go chasing down the information on the phone beginning on Monday with Vanguard.
As many of you well know, getting a rep on the phone at vanguard is not as easy as it used to be. I think there are fewer phone reps now working for Vanguard, as often the wait to be connected is lengthy.
So I want to nip this issue in the bud with them so it does not become a common problem.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sarastro wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:51 am I will say re-invested dividends in monthly issued bond funds were always provided to the customer (at least in my case) without fail over the last 32 years I have been an investor with Vanguard promptly by the end of the month, even when the last day of the month fell on a Saturday, or Sunday, or Holiday.
Since they "encouraged" investors to create brokerage accounts for mutual fund only investor accounts a few years back, mishaps have been occurring, such as this incident now.
I have significant dividends being produced at the end of every month in my case, and in this case, the end of a quarter. I have to gather all that information of business income as well as realized passive income from many different sources, not just at Vanguard, and process it all by April 15 in this case, as I have to pay quarterly income taxes on it all, both state and federal, by that date.
So for me it is not a case of just seeing what I made in dividends in my posts come the end of the quarter. I have a window of two weeks to process all that info to determine my quarterly tax liability.
So I have a legitimate reason for griping when it is not posted promptly and now have to go chasing down the information on the phone beginning on Monday with Vanguard.
As many of you well know, getting a rep on the phone at vanguard is not as easy as it used to be. I think there are fewer phone reps now working for Vanguard, as often the wait to be connected is lengthy.
So I want to nip this issue in the bud with them so it does not become a common problem.
let us know what you find out.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Sarastro wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:51 am ..I have to gather all that information...
As a workaround, one way of getting the information you need is:
1) Keep track of how many shares you have in a fund
2) Visit the fund's distribution page, e.g., https://investor.vanguard.com/investmen ... tributions to determine the distribution $ per share.
3) Multiply.
Repeat per fund.

Obviously requires extra work. I do it for my own taxable accounts and I think other people do as well.

Often you can get that information a day or two before it's reflected in your account.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

FWIW, I think the change in behavior (wrt dividends) between mutual fund only and brokerage accounts has been around a while.

At least I ran into it quite a few years ago: viewtopic.php?p=4905435#p4905435. I haven't owned a bond fund at Vanguard in a while so I can't say what the behavior has been like recently.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

My issue with this is that, at best, I have to stay 1 day out of the market and execute an additional transaction, if I want to redirect one fund's dividends to another.
"At best" because I'm not even sure those dividends will appear in my settlement fund tomorrow (I have seen them showing in the total balance, but not in the settlement account) and even if they do it is a work day and market closes at 1pm on the West Coast: I might be busy.

I'd have no gripe if this happened with stocks position, because positions have to settle and broker has no way to be sure about the owner of record in advance, but in the case of Vanguard mutual funds Vanguard always knows exactly who owns the shares and there is really no settlement time in play.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

If its just a delay in reporting, I'm surprised they pushed out the 3/31 statement without the income noted, even if it doesn't show up online yet. For those using Form 2201, Schedule AI for quarterly estimated taxes, it makes a difference if this dividend income in first quarter or second.

This time of year I'm always making the decision whether to safeharbor, estimate 2024 total income (which for me is a guess), or use Schedule AI.
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

I just received my March 31rst end of quarter account statement from Vanguard.

The share balance for my VFSUX holding is the same as the share balance in my February account statement.

Clearly this is an error on the part of Vanguard since I have my dividends set to reinvest for this fund. All my other bond funds properly reinvested their income distributions. All my Vanguard funds are held in brokerage accounts.

This is the first time I have ever seen such a serious mistake on the part of Vanguard since I became an investor with them in 1987. I have owned various bond funds with them since 1994. Each month dividends were reinvested on the reinvest date for funds set up to reinvest income dividends. The transactions were reliably reported on my accounts as of the NEXT day.

So this is NOT normal behavior and it will not be fixed by waiting for some magical self correction by Vanguard.

We need to complain to Vanguard.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

msimon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:17 pm I just received my March 31rst end of quarter account statement from Vanguard.

The share balance for my VFSUX holding is the same as the share balance in my February account statement.

Clearly this is an error on the part of Vanguard since I have my dividends set to reinvest for this fund. All my other bond funds properly reinvested their income distributions. All my Vanguard funds are held in brokerage accounts.

This is the first time I have ever seen such a serious mistake on the part of Vanguard since I became an investor with them in 1987. I have owned various bond funds with them since 1994. Each month dividends were reinvested on the reinvest date for funds set up to reinvest income dividends. The transactions were reliably reported on my accounts as of the NEXT day.

So this is NOT normal behavior and it will not be fixed by waiting for some magical self correction by Vanguard.

We need to complain to Vanguard.
Let us know what you hear back. I agree this seems to be an anomaly in transaction.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Hmm, I've seen dividend type things take a few days sort out. Not sure this is unique to Vanguard or particularly a problem. I guess my thought is wait a few days then contact them rather than be in a rush to have the hassle of phone calls and such if it will fix itself.
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:25 pm Hmm, I've seen dividend type things take a few days sort out. Not sure this is unique to Vanguard or particularly a problem. I guess my thought is wait a few days then contact them rather than be in a rush to have the hassle of phone calls and such if it will fix itself.
Which bond funds do you own at Vanguard? Are they held in brokerage account form? Do you have your distributions set to be reinvested?
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

msimon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:30 pm
Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:25 pm Hmm, I've seen dividend type things take a few days sort out. Not sure this is unique to Vanguard or particularly a problem. I guess my thought is wait a few days then contact them rather than be in a rush to have the hassle of phone calls and such if it will fix itself.
Which bond funds do you own at Vanguard? Are they held in brokerage account form? Do you have your distributions set to be reinvested?
I have no bond funds at Vanguard currently. Until last year I had VBTLX and VAIPX, but converted those to BND and SCHP ETFs before moving all my assets to Fidelity. My only other bond holding is a bit of BSV.

So nothing current at Vanguard, but I used to have dividends set to reinvest for VBTLX and VAIPX. Used to be in a mutual fund account, converted it to brokerage to swap them to ETFs. I just remember it sometimes did take a few days after dividends for things to look correct.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Bond ETFs have a different ex-dividend date and different payable date and different reinvest date than the cognate bond mutual funds.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

msimon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:17 pmWe need to complain to Vanguard.
OK, but suppose you complain and someone at Vanguard tells you "Vanguard is sorry about that. We will try to do better next time." Is there any satisfaction in that? Better would be "We are paying you double your dividend for our screw up." I know which response is more likely. :)
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:41 pm
Bond ETFs have a different ex-dividend date and different payable date and different reinvest date than the cognate bond mutual funds.
Sure, I was thinking back to when I had bond funds. I only have ETFs for all assets (well other than money market and I-bonds).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:43 pm
OK, but suppose you complain and someone at Vanguard tells you "Vanguard is sorry about that. We will try to do better next time." Is there any satisfaction in that? Better would be "We are paying you double your dividend for our screw up." I know which response is more likely. :)
Works for Zuckerberg in congressional hearings.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jebmke wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:48 pmWorks for Zuckerberg in congressional hearings.
Thanks, made me laugh!
Topic Author
msimon

Post by msimon »

If Vanguard told me "Vanguard is sorry about that. We will try to do better next time." and did not fix the problem I would file complaints with FINRA and the Better Business Bureau. I would then contact my state's Attorney general as well.

I have already resorted to contacting the Better Business Bureau to resolve a problem I had at Vanguard that they were ignoring. That seemed to get their attention.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

msimon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:16 pm
If Vanguard told me "Vanguard is sorry about that. We will try to do better next time." and did not fix the problem I would file complaints with FINRA and the Better Business Bureau. I would then contact my state's Attorney general as well.

I have already resorted to contacting the Better Business Bureau to resolve a problem I had at Vanguard that they were ignoring. That seemed to get their attention.
OK, now I'm curious. Why are you still at Vanguard? I don't think in my life (I'm in my 50s) I've ever reported any business to BBB and the continued to voluntarily interact with them. Is this a 401k where you can't take your money elsewhere? Not challenging you or anything, just curious what makes staying compelling given you seem pretty unhappy.