historical holding of vanguard ETFs VUG and VTV

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
babystep

historical holding of vanguard ETFs VUG and VTV

Post by babystep »

Hi,

It is easy to find the historical top 10 holdings of S&P 500 but is there any way to get the data for the historical top 10 holdings of Vanguard ETFs VUG and VTV?

I hope there is an easier way to see how the top 10 holdings have changed over past 10-20 years for these two ETFs.
sycamore

Re: historical holding of vanguard ETFs VUG and VTV

Post by sycamore »

babystep wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:44 pm Hi,

It is easy to find the historical top 10 holdings of S&P 500 but is there any way to get the data for the historical top 10 holdings of Vanguard ETFs VUG and VTV?

I hope there is an easier way to see how the top 10 holdings have changed over past 10-20 years for these two ETFs.
They both follow S&P indexes, so try checking S&P index website - maybe it has the historical data you're looking for?
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

sycamore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:17 am

They both follow S&P indexes, so try checking S&P index website - maybe it has the historical data you're looking for?
I think you mean CRSP indexes...
Vanguard VUG wrote: Vanguard Growth ETF seeks to track the investment performance of the CRSP US Large Cap Growth Index, an unmanaged benchmark representing growth stocks of large U.S. firms.
Vanguard VTV wrote: Vanguard Value ETF seeks to track the investment performance of the CRSP US Large Cap Value Index, an unmanaged benchmark representing U.S. large-capitalization value stocks.
See link: https://www.crsp.org/

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

retired@50 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 am

Vanguard VUG wrote: Vanguard Growth ETF seeks to track the investment performance of the CRSP US Large Cap Growth Index, an unmanaged benchmark representing growth stocks of large U.S. firms.
Vanguard VTV wrote: Vanguard Value ETF seeks to track the investment performance of the CRSP US Large Cap Value Index, an unmanaged benchmark representing U.S. large-capitalization value stocks.

Regards,
Right you are. I saw the tickers and without checking I thought they were the 500 growth and 500 value ETFs, but they're not :oops:
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

sycamore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am
retired@50 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 am

Regards,
Right you are. I saw the tickers and without checking I thought they were the 500 growth and 500 value ETFs, but they're not :oops:
They have those too!
VOOG and VOOV
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

Yes, they are CRSP index but question still remains how to get the historical data?
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

babystep wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm Yes, they are CRSP index but question still remains how to get the historical data?
Did you check out the CRSP link in my earlier post?

If anyone would have this info, it would be CRSP.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

retired@50 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:07 pm
babystep wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm Yes, they are CRSP index but question still remains how to get the historical data?
Did you check out the CRSP link in my earlier post?

If anyone would have this info, it would be CRSP.

Regards,
Yes. I couldn't find any info on the web-site. I sent an email to them but not sure how helpful they would be.

I searched on the internet but surprised that it is not easy to find the info. I found it will be interesting to see how companies have moved in and out of these funds over the years.
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

I got the reply from CRSP.
Unfortunately, we do not provide this type of historical data to non-subscribers as this 10 year history is not available publicly on our website.
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

I was able to easily find a lot of reports going back to 2006 in Edgar. Q1 2006

I suggest doing a web search for "VUG edgar" or "VTV edgar".
thenextguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am
sycamore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am Right you are. I saw the tickers and without checking I thought they were the 500 growth and 500 value ETFs, but they're not :oops:
They have those too!
VOOG and VOOV
I'd be careful comparing the CRSP and S&P Value/Growth indexes. I tried tax loss harvesting between the different growth indexes once and there was a big divergence in performance/composition.
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

Lyrrad wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 pm

I was able to easily find a lot of reports going back to 2006 in Edgar. Q1 2006

I suggest doing a web search for "VUG edgar" or "VTV edgar".
thenextguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am
sycamore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am Right you are. I saw the tickers and without checking I thought they were the 500 growth and 500 value ETFs, but they're not :oops:
They have those too!
VOOG and VOOV
I'd be careful comparing the CRSP and S&P Value/Growth indexes. I tried tax loss harvesting between the different growth indexes once and there was a big divergence in performance/composition.
Thanks, really appreciate your response. I did find those edgar search results as well and thought that it is VUG but it turned out to be S&P 500.

Do you see any for VUG?
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

babystep wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:36 pm Thanks, really appreciate your response. I did find those edgar search results as well and thought that it is VUG but it turned out to be S&P 500.

Do you see any for VUG?
I see lots of documents with the Vanguard Growth Index Fund. Note that some documents may contain information from multiple funds, or just one fund. You could search under Series S000002842 for documents related to that fund, or S000002840 for the Value Index Fund.
Cocoa Beach Bum

Post by Cocoa Beach Bum »

babystep wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:44 pm...

It's a little clunky but you can browse https://www.crsp.org/crsp_pdf/. Do a browser "Find" on CRSPLCG1 for Large Cap Growth or CRSPLCV1 for Large Cap Value. For example, here is the June 2012 report for CRSPLCV1: https://www.crsp.org/wp-content/uploads ... ne2012.pdf. And the corresponding report for CRSPLCG1: https://www.crsp.org/wp-content/uploads ... ne2012.pdf.
“How did you go bankrupt?" "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

Lyrrad wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:59 pm
babystep wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:36 pm Thanks, really appreciate your response. I did find those edgar search results as well and thought that it is VUG but it turned out to be S&P 500.

Do you see any for VUG?
I see lots of documents with the Vanguard Growth Index Fund. Note that some documents may contain information from multiple funds, or just one fund. You could search under Series S000002842 for documents related to that fund, or S000002840 for the Value Index Fund.
Thanks. I was able to find using this https://www.sec.gov/edgar/search/?r=el# ... orms=N-CSR.

As you said, it contains the top holdings of many funds but I can search "growth index" and then can quickly find it for any year.
Topic Author
babystep

Post by babystep »

Cocoa Beach Bum wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:02 pm
babystep wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:44 pm...

It's a little clunky but you can browse https://www.crsp.org/crsp_pdf/. Do a browser "Find" on CRSPLCG1 for Large Cap Growth or CRSPLCV1 for Large Cap Value. For example, here is the June 2012 report for CRSPLCV1: https://www.crsp.org/wp-content/uploads ... ne2012.pdf. And the corresponding report for CRSPLCG1: https://www.crsp.org/wp-content/uploads ... ne2012.pdf.
This is even better. Thank you.