Which ticker do you use for the bond allocation? AGG, BND, TLT, or something else?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
PersianCapitalist

Which ticker do you use for the bond allocation? AGG, BND, TLT, or something else?

Post by PersianCapitalist »

I think the popular ETFs are BND, AGG, and TLT. But maybe there are other interesting ones?
Which one do you use and why?

TLT is more volatile than the first two as it contains long term 20+ yr treasuries, so it could go up a lot more if stocks were to crash (except for in current inflationary times).

Thanks ✌🏽.
mongstradamus

Re: Which ticker do you use for the bond allocation? AGG, BND, TLT, or something else?

Post by mongstradamus »

Edv but It’s an small portion of overall portfolio.
Topic Author
PersianCapitalist

Re: Which ticker do you use for the bond allocation? AGG, BND, TLT, or something else?

Post by PersianCapitalist »

mongstradamus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm Edv but It’s an small portion of overall portfolio.
Okay. Why did you choose EDV?
WinstonTeracina

Post by WinstonTeracina »

mongstradamus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm Edv but It’s an small portion of overall portfolio.
I use EDV as well.
PersianCapitalist wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:41 pm
Your question wasn't directed at me, but since my wife and I use EDV as our primary bond holding I'll share my reasoning: our estimated investment horizon has an average duration of 40.1 years. EDV has about a 24-year duration which is as long as we could go while still keeping the expense ratio reasonable.
70% - VT | 30% - Series I bonds + EDV
hudson

Post by hudson »

PersianCapitalist wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:30 pm I think the popular ETFs are BND, AGG, and TLT. But maybe there are other interesting ones?

TLT is more volatile than the first two as it contains long term 20+ yr treasuries, so it could go up a lot more if stocks were to crash (except for in current inflationary times).

Thanks ✌🏽.
SCHP...around 8 year duration TIPS with a .05 ER.
LTPZ...15 plus year duration TIPS with .2 ER
viewtopic.php?p=5764883#p5764883
I can combine these two ETFs to get an average duration that fits my needs.

I also like individual nominal treasuries and individual TIPS because there are no expenses.
I understand that they are easy to buy and sell once you get the hang of it.

I would only want an ETF or fund that holds treasuries...or possibly AAA/AA munis.
Why? safety

another discussion with maybe too much info about TIPS ETFs? viewtopic.php?p=6641507#p6641507
Last edited by hudson on Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Short term treasury index admiral fund
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

PersianCapitalist wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:30 pm I think the popular ETFs are BND, AGG, and TLT. But maybe there are other interesting ones?
I'd say that the TIPS funds, especially SCHP and LTPZ, should be on a list of interesting and/or popular ETFs. Two other inflation-hedged ETFs that deserve attention IMHO are iShares Inflation Hedged Corp Bd ETF (LQDI) and iShares Inflation Hedged U.S. Aggregate Bond ETF (AGIH).

The other total bond market fund that deserves more usage is iShares Core Total USD Bond Market ETF (IUSB).
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

I buy individual treasuries so I have full control on duration.
| LMP | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks |
mongstradamus

Post by mongstradamus »

PersianCapitalist wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:41 pm
I do have long way to go with my investing life and it has lowest correlation to stocks
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

We use SCHP and BNDW.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
dognose

Post by dognose »

VTEB (muni bond ETF)
dbr

Post by dbr »

This is a strange conversation. It would make more sense to talk about bond funds in terms of credit risk, term risk, and inflation indexed or nominal than to pick tickers. Other properties might be whether an active or indexed fund and what the ER might be. There is also choice of pure funds of Treasuries, TIPS, agency, munis (national or state), and corporates or funds that blend different types. Sometimes it does come down to what the fund company is. Also it is not clear why the choices are implied to be ETFs.