What's in Rick Ferri's portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Want to know how I personally invest?

Enjoy!

RIck Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Re: What's in Rick Ferri's portfolio?

Post by 123 »

I found it in Apple Podcasts and plan to listen to it shortly. What particular investing podcast series does Rick feel are worth following (or at least of some interest) to Bogleheads? (In olden times I listened to the Bob Brinker radio program for 20+ years and followed that style before I found Bogleheads.)

Edited to add:
I listened to the podcast and enjoyed it. I was intrigued with Rick's forever holding of PDFF as a preferred stock dividend ETF so I'm taking a closer look at that.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Thanks for the link! It's well worth the time to listen.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Thanks for sharing Rick, excellent interview!

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

took the time to watch rick’s video

very interesting and astute
well presented

rick
huge thanks for sharing

mahalo
jim🌴
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Anyone care to give a simple summary without having to watch the video?
JIMX7

Post by JIMX7 »

Thank you for your time.
Great podcast and so relevant.
Wish I was 30 again because in investing its like the Rolling Stones song ( Time is my side ).

Post by 123 »

Riprap wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:57 pm Anyone care to give a simple summary without having to watch the video?
That would be like reading about someone else describe a fine wine when you could have the enjoyment of every sip yourself.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

123 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:24 pm
Riprap wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:57 pm Anyone care to give a simple summary without having to watch the video?
That would be like reading about someone else describe a fine wine when you could have the enjoyment of every sip yourself.
Not everyone has high speed internet and not everyone can hear.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

123 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:24 pm
I'm inferring from that comment his portfolio is complicated and nuanced. I would have thought just the opposite, more like describing a cool glass of water.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Thanks Rick for sharing. Really enjoyed it. My highlights

Rebalancing is overrated. (I really enjoyed this take. Maybe some confirmation bias for me but helped crystallize I think how I want to approach)
Rick is looking at his portfolio 25 times a day :D (so I feel less bad now about my 5x per day)
Appreciated the conversation on a disinterested spouse
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

I found a couple things interesting since they go against some conventional wisdom:

Rick includes 5% cash as part of his fixed income allocation
Rick is slowly moving from 65% to 80% equity follow sale of his business, he did not invest the windfall into the stock market all at once.

My takeaway is that personal finance is personal, and there is no formula or one size fits all answer. Some of these details don't make a lot of difference.

I also appreciate Rick's honesty about his (many!) pensions, royalties, and other income which means he's investing for his heirs.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

A very enjoyable and insightful conversation. A good reminder that keeping things simple is still a personal take and that forums like this are invaluable to educating one's self and protecting your assets from all the advisors out there that don't have your best interest at heart.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Rick Ferri wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:10 pm Want to know how I personally invest?

Enjoy!

RIck Ferri
Thanks for sharing. You are in a very enviable position having all those pensions! :beer
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

JIMX7 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:23 pm Thank you for your time.
Great podcast and so relevant.
Wish I was 30 again because in investing its like the Rolling Stones song ( Time is my side ).
Ask Rick how to do it. He looks about 30 in the picture that pops up when you click on the link.

(Snarky remark aside, I really enjoyed the interview and it reinforced my KISS approach.)
Friar1610 | | I have recently concluded that when it comes to investing I am a satisficer, not an optimizer.
BigDGB

Post by BigDGB »

Hi Rick,

I always love your podcasts because they comfort me in my decision to go with a simple portfolio, instead of chasing the latest highest performing managed mutual funds.

My portfolio consists of VTI Total US Stock Market and VXUS Total International stock market etfs.

The third security is my “ icing on the cake “ which is the term I’ve heard you use a number of times. That etf is AVUV Avantis Small Cap Value.

60% of my equities are in VTI with 20% in VXUS and 20% in AVUV. I’m about your age .. 64 and retired.

My one question would be what is your allocation to international holdings with VXUS?

I’ve felt 20% was comfortable for me to have some stake in international, but I haven’t been able to increase that stake given the underperformance for such a long time and increasingly higher correlation to the US market.

Thoughts?

Thank You
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Thanks Rick - I appreciate your straight forward, simple advice. I appreciate your business model collecting a fee for advice not an asset under management never ending fee. There is so much smoke and mirror financial advice offered in the business it is refreshing to hear someone speak in simple terms and with honesty.

Keep it up,

Retired F-16 guy, aka, pop
Leif

Post by Leif »

Being retired, I'm also looking at a rising equity glide path. It was interesting (comforting) to hear you are doing the same. I don't expect to rebalance except in a passive way. As i need cash I'll pull it from asset class that is over target. I don't expect to buy equities.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

He believes in simple total index fund, intl index fund, few bond funds - he has some SCV and REITs - set and forget. Never sell for his heirs. He is about 60-40, trying to get to 80-20 but doesn’t need the money because he has mil pension and other income and royalties. Doesn’t rebalance. Has 5% cash and 10 % in preferred stock. Worries him when one spouse is disinterested in investments and their portfolio is complicated and the disinterested person will never be able to figure it out when the other dies. A few other great tips. Simplicity is key. His portfolio doesn’t have to beat everyone - beating 90% is good enough. He has his 4 core portfolios posted on line. Pick a simple portfolio and stay the course. Doesn’t do management fees for business model - charges for his time.

Jump in here fellow BH if I missed or mischaracterized something

Better to hear it from Rick than me.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:34 pm
He believes in simple total index fund, intl index fund, few bond funds - he has some SCV and REITs - set and forget. Never sell for his heirs. He is about 60-40, trying to get to 80-20 but doesn’t need the money because he has mil pension and other income and royalties. Doesn’t rebalance. Has 5% cash and 10 % in preferred stock. Worries him when one spouse is disinterested in investments and their portfolio is complicated and the disinterested person will never be able to figure it out when the other dies. A few other great tips. Simplicity is key. His portfolio doesn’t have to beat everyone - beating 90% is good enough. He has his 4 core portfolios posted on line. Pick a simple portfolio and stay the course. Doesn’t do management fees for business model - charges for his time.

Regarding the preferred stock, he counts as part of his Fixed Income position. Uses ticker PFFD. I'm not sure if that is 10% of the portfolio or 10% of Fixed Income. I interpreted as 10% of Fixed Income.

Rest I took away the same as you.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Great listen! :sharebeer

I wonder though how smart and educated these advisors really are that they are so afraid to sell their knowledge rather than unnecessary complexity. I would guess the smart ones are already in a new model selling their knowledge and the remaining 80% (random percentage I picked) are hanging on to the old model simply because they never had knowledge to sell in the first place and would starve (reference Upton Sinclair quote here, I’m looking at you Edward Jones and Raymond James)….

Anyways I’ll be back in an hour or so, need to tell my wife about the $5 bill I just found while cleaning the couch and posting on Bogleheads!
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

It was a nice conversation, but if you're looking for any investment insights, there was none. It's stuff you already know as a boglehead.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

chuckwalla wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:16 pm
It was a nice conversation, but if you're looking for any investment insights, there was none. It's stuff you already know as a boglehead.
I agree, I was hoping for a transcript that I could scan in 30 seconds to see if there was anything new and interesting.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

I watched the video and liked how he gave the generalities of his personal situation, which in some ways is probably similar to a lot of BHs who have sold a business.

I wonder what his thoughts are on Roth conversions since he mentioned RMDs when they kick in. Reading between the lines I interpret that to mean RMDs won't cause too much of an adverse tax impact while he's alive. But with pensions, social security, book royalties, and consulting fees maybe it will. He did mention he thought a lot about how taxes would affect him after the sale of his business, even considering IRMMA, NIIT etc. What about the impact on his heirs which he said was his kids? Or perhaps anything left in a retirement account will go to charity.

I'm curious if he would share his thinking on that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:10 pm Want to know how I personally invest?

Enjoy!

RIck Ferri
Hi Rick -

If no one told you today: You are the man!

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and helping all Bogleheads to become better investors.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
chw

Post by chw »

Excellent podcast Rick. Takeaways for me were simplicity in an investment plan iOS especially important for a spouse that isn’t engaged in the financial aspects of the household. One reason to limit or not use factors in one’s plan.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I don't listen to hour long podcasts. Maybe on a forum could post instead?
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Drew31 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 pm
Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Regarding the preferred stock, he counts as part of his Fixed Income position. Uses ticker PFFD. I'm not sure if that is 10% of the portfolio or 10% of Fixed Income. I interpreted as 10% of Fixed Income.

Rest I took away the same as you.
Incredible yield on this PFFD. What's the catch? Why aren't we all using it in non-taxable accounts?
BH Contests: 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253 of 664 |19 #233 of 645 |18 #150 of 493 |17 #516 of 647 |16 #121 of 610 |15 #18 of 552 |14 #225 of 503 |13 #383 of 433 |12 #366 of 410 |11 #113 of 369 |10 #53 of 282
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thanks for all the kind comments. I'll try to answer questions here:
This is actually a dollar amount rather than a percentage. It's one year of living expenses.
My one question would be what is your allocation to international holdings with VXUS?
I hold VXUS and IXUS due to tax-loss harvesting in a taxable account. International is currently 35% of my portfolio. Any target between 30% and 40% is fine.
Incredible yield on this PFFD. What's the catch? Why aren't we all using it in non-taxable accounts?
It's an unfollowed asset class that sits between equity and fixed income, concentrated in the financial sector, primarily banks. There are tax benefits for use in a taxable account (much of the dividend is qualified).
10 % of total account in preferred stock or 10% of fixed income?
This was not clear. My goal is to have 20% of my fixed income in preferred stock, which isn't much more than I have now because I plan to reduce my fixed income from 35% to 20%. My long-term target for fixed income is 80% investment grade bonds and some I-bonds, and 20% in preferred.
nice conversation, but if you're looking for any investment insights, there was none. It's stuff you already know as a boglehead.
Good!
I wonder what his thoughts are on Roth conversions since he mentioned RMDs...[and many other tax questions].
That is an entire podcast in itself and very specific to each person. All taxes must be included in the analysis; income, capital gain, NIIT, Medicare IRMAA, estate, etc.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
saolafan

Post by saolafan »

I haven't heard of a "total economy" portfolio before. In the past I've believed that the stock market is a good approximation of all investable assets, but overweighting small value and REITs relative to the total stock market makes a lot of sense if that assumption is broken. It's also one of the more compelling reasons I've heard to overweight REITs in particular.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

No, not really.

Must be a lot to take a whole hour. And in the name of "excess returns" at that.
Pale Blue Dot
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I like how he slipped in that he is a 4.5 in pickleball 8-)

Enjoy!

RIck Ferri
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

sperry8 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:24 am

It's concentrated in the financial sector. If you think about risk in the same time frame, government bonds are the least risky, followed by a total or appropriate term fund (which incorporates some corporate bonds and thus more risk), followed by investment grade corporate bonds. Preferred stocks fill a function much like corporate bonds but mostly for the financial sector. There are tax advantages, but there is also increased risk- hence the higher yields.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Hopefully, not any MESA, besides what is held in his various funds/ETF's.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Random Musings wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:06 am Hopefully, not any MESA, besides what is held in his various funds/ETF's.

RM
:shock:

You don't understand the value here. You're supposed to SHORT my Hedge Fund Contest long picks, and go long my short picks. If you did, you would have made a lot of money over the years.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Rick Ferri
Gort

Post by Gort »

Near the very end of the podcast he mentioned that for simplicity you could just as easily use a single balanced fund such as Vanguard Balanced Index. I wonder what his thoughts are on the Life Strategy Funds at a slightly higher ER that contain international components.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Gort wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:49 am Near the very end of the podcast he mentioned that for simplicity you could just as easily use a single balanced fund such as Vanguard Balanced Index. I wonder what his thoughts are on the Life Strategy Funds at a slightly higher ER that contain international components.
Perfectly fine for tax-advantaged accounts. I prefer individual funds in a taxable account because you'll get the foreign tax credit on the international fund.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

if you click on the elipse ... next to "save" you get the drop down that says "Show transcript". Click on that and look to the right where you can scroll through the transcript. image below with relevant/highlighted areas:

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

masteraleph wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:55 am
sperry8 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:24 am

It's concentrated in the financial sector. If you think about risk in the same time frame, government bonds are the least risky, followed by a total or appropriate term fund (which incorporates some corporate bonds and thus more risk), followed by investment grade corporate bonds. Preferred stocks fill a function much like corporate bonds but mostly for the financial sector. There are tax advantages, but there is also increased risk- hence the higher yields.
The tax documentation for the fund shows a portion of the dividends represent a return of capital, so its not pure investment income.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Rick - For those of us very late in life (avg age 86) and with a 40/60 allocation, is an allocation to an international stock fund really all that important? SS, military pension, and RMDs currently meet our financial needs with any small excess RMD being reinvested in taxable account.

Have been and am currently using TSM (VTSAX) and a small allocation to REITs (VGSLX) on the stock side, and more recently S-T BI (VBIRX) and S-T TIPS (VTAPX) at about an equal ratio on the bond side. So, I guess boils down to is adding international stock fund at its appropriate ration going to make any difference?

As a general statement we often see comments in this forum pertaining to those in earlier retirement stages, but not too often do we see comments for those approaching our 90s. Really did enjoy this latest presentation regarding your personal portfolio.
Tom D.
er999

Post by er999 »

Thanks for posting and interesting talk but there’s still some mysteries in his portfolio. We know his overall stock bond percentage (65/35 I think with a plan to not rebalance and let stock drift up to 80) but still don’t know what percentage he devotes to each stock asset class other than 10% are in preferred dividend paying stock that he includes in his fixed income allocations. Also we don’t know how big his portfolio is relative to withdrawal rate but sounds like a lot as he has a military pension + other small corporate pensions and is planning on working until 70.

Other interesting thing was he says small cap value is hard for most investors to stick with due to underperformance relative to total market so he recommends for simplicity total stock / total international / total bond for most, particularly if they have a spouse uninterested in finance who might take over after death.

However in the last 10 years the investor would have made way more money in VBR (small cap value vanguard) vs VXUS (total international). I realize VBR isn’t the best small cap as not small cap or value enough but has been around for a decade. 10k VBR starting 2012 would be $32k now vs $17k in VXUS vs $38k VTI.

Perhaps international could be harder to hold if international underperformance continues for another decade than a small cap value tilt. As the memories of the 2000-2009 lost decade for us stocks fades for new investors (with great international and emerging markets years) unless there’s an international outperformance in the next decade maybe international stocks will be the hard one to hold.

I started making money and investing in 2005 and remember international and in particularly emerging markets were the trendy thing then. Many authors were saying if young and wanted some growth should do 5-10% emerging markets. I did 25% international then (and have stuck with it, no emerging markets tilt), but it’s almost harder to keep holding international. I realize international isn’t a tilt since you are buying market weight (or actually less than market weight for most investors)

Now on bogleheads many say international is due to outperform— even vanguard’s asset projections say international should be better than us large cap growth (and seems like the same for the past few years). I wonder if in 5-10 years international doesn’t beat us that international will be the hard asset to convince people to stick with, particularly for newer investors or advisors < 40 now.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Several "strategy" questions are coming up that are best answered by watching the following video I did for the Sacramento Area Local Bogleheads chapter.

The Education of an Index Investor ~ Philosophy, Strategy and Discipline

Rick Ferri
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:30 am Thanks for all the kind comments. I'll try to answer questions here:
This is actually a dollar amount rather than a percentage. It's one year of living expenses.
I hold VXUS and IXUS due to tax-loss harvesting in a taxable account. International is currently 35% of my portfolio. Any target between 30% and 40% is fine.
It's an unfollowed asset class that sits between equity and fixed income, concentrated in the financial sector, primarily banks. There are tax benefits for use in a taxable account (much of the dividend is qualified).
10 % of total account in preferred stock or 10% of fixed income?
This was not clear. My goal is to have 20% of my fixed income in preferred stock, which isn't much more than I have now because I plan to reduce my fixed income from 35% to 20%. My long-term target for fixed income is 80% investment grade bonds and some I-bonds, and 20% in preferred.
nice conversation, but if you're looking for any investment insights, there was none. It's stuff you already know as a boglehead.
Good!
I wonder what his thoughts are on Roth conversions since he mentioned RMDs...[and many other tax questions].
That is an entire podcast in itself and very specific to each person. All taxes must be included in the analysis; income, capital gain, NIIT, Medicare IRMAA, estate, etc.

Rick Ferri
Hi Rick -

Sounds like you parted ways with High Yield Bonds?

Preferred, Investment Grade, Inflation Bonds, and cash represents the 20% allocation.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Sounds like you parted ways with High Yield Bonds?
I like the Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Fund Admiral Shares (VWEAX), I just don't own it because I own preferred stocks in PFFD. I think the risk and return is comparable - they both hold BB/B rated securities. There is a tax benefit to owning PFFD in a taxable account.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:30 am
Hi Rick -

Just to clarify do you hold 35% of our portfolio in international or 35% of equities in international? If you are 65% in equity now with 35% of portfolio in international you have more than 50% of equity allocated to international. I'm assuming you meant 35% of equity?
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

Lots of sage investment advice on Rick's video.

It's important to know yourself well which involves a tradeoff between risk tolerance versus return goals. It's also important to make realistic assumptions about future returns which IMO are very likely to be considerably lower in both bonds ands stocks than we've enjoyed over the last 4 decades. Projecting long term backtesting results forward for the next 4 decades will likely be overly optimistic given the current picture as I see it. On the other hand there has always been considerable fear and worry about future market returns even throughout the last 4 decades of tremendous performance. I hope the good times continue unabated, but I do not believe it wise to count on it.

I also believe it unwise to put too much faith in overhyped and overpriced growth darlings with valuations are based on optimistic narratives rather than real profits and also to avoid reliance on deep value as defined by PB alone which tends to select value traps. My own personal preference in US equity is VTI 75%/VBR 25% and cap weight INTL versus US. INTL equity has been a massive loser to US for decades and holding onto it has produced a large opportunity cost in my portfolio. I've done very well but could have done better if I had followed the advice of Jack and Warren decades ago. I stubbornly keep waiting for reversion the mean to occur, but even when it happens, which I believe it will at some point, the return disparity hole I have dug for myself is too deep to fully climb out of. Holding considerable INTL is very attractive in theory (increased diversification, consistently much better valuations, hence higher future expected returns) but it has been much less so in practice.

Garland Whizzer
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

35% of my equity allocation is in total international index funds and ETFs. I don't hold any other international funds.

It's true that international has underperformed US during the extended period of falling interest rates and a strong dollar. I do not know if that will be the case going forward and have no interest in betting it will by NOT having a sizable allocation to international.

Rick Ferri
pmardo

Post by pmardo »

Rick, I enjoyed the podcast and appreciate your advice. What ETF do you use for small cap value?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:46 am
Random Musings wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:06 am Hopefully, not any MESA, besides what is held in his various funds/ETF's.

RM
:shock:

You don't understand the value here. You're supposed to SHORT my Hedge Fund Contest long picks, and go long my short picks. If you did, you would have made a lot of money over the years.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Rick Ferri
With a fine track record like that, you should bring some props and a good catchphrase to the upcoming 2022 Bogleheads Conference. This provides you the perfect opportunity to hone your craft in front of your esteemed peers (and a very discerning audience). It's time to spread the word. Why should the investing public have to accept mediocrity with respect to individual stock picks? #Booyahnomore

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

pmardo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:26 pm Rick, I enjoyed the podcast and appreciate your advice. What ETF do you use for small cap value?
I use RZV because it is concentrated SCV. AVUV is also good, and DFAT. I want SCV fund that gives me the most SCV exposure for the buck.

I also have VSIAX in my Vanguard 401k because it’s the only one available, but it’s not great. Only half the factor concentration on RZV, AVUV, and DFAT.