Treasury Direct Redemption/Refund delays

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Jennyontheblock

Treasury Direct Redemption/Refund delays

Post by Jennyontheblock »

Due to Treasury Direct not canceling an original IBond order after online request to do so, and then doubly processing two orders, I am due a $10k refund (from May 1st)!

After FINALLY reaching a live person to inquire about the missing refund (which an email stated I would receive in "8-10 weeks"), the nice but very apologetic lady said, "honey you'll be lucky if you get this refund in 6 months"...

Which made wonder how long it takes when you choose to redeem an Ibond. Does anyone care to share your experience?
mamster

Re: Treasury Direct Redemption/Refund delays

Post by mamster »

One business day. Maybe a couple of additional days if your bank has slow ACH. I assume refunds need to go through a bureaucratic process, but redeeming is as automated as purchasing.
Topic Author
Jennyontheblock

Re: Treasury Direct Redemption/Refund delays

Post by Jennyontheblock »

mamster wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:02 am One business day. Maybe a couple of additional days if your bank has slow ACH. I assume refunds need to go through a bureaucratic process, but redeeming is as automated as purchasing.
Well that is very encouraging! I was tempted to stop Ibond purchases for my elderly mother if it was found to be a hassle!