Larry and Rick: An Appreciation

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Larry and Rick: An Appreciation

Post by CountryBoy »

I would like to thank both gentleman for demonstrating year after year that it is possible for two reasonable people to debate from two different positions and still remain civil in their discourse.

So often in everyday life on the national level people show repeatedly their inability to debate issues they care deeply about in a civilized manner. Either people go wacko on the far left or right or just don't care enough to disagree.

These gentlemen show that it is possible to: really care, to disagree, and to debate in a civilized fashion.

Thank you.

Country Boy
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thank you for your kind words. It is a pleasure.

Rick Ferri

PS. Larry is on vacation until July 5, but I assure you that he thanks you also.
WiseNLucky

Post by WiseNLucky »

I agree with CountryBoy. I learn a lot watching (reading) their debates.
WiseNLucky
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

CountryBoy,
I second that and would add authors Taylor L., Mel L. Michael L. and the ever helpful Laura. Kudos to them.
Best,
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Springman, I respectfully disagree

Post by CountryBoy »

Those are truly wonderful people; I owe each of them very much.

However, they do not engage in heated, heartfelt debates on an ongoing basis the way these two gentlemen do.

I lived in England for 5 years and saw how a country had schooled its people in debating issues in every day life. Anyone can feel passionately about a subject but very few that I see around me in every day activities are able to debate in a clear and reasoned manner. Frankly speaking, I am even challenged by it.

Engaging in debate can teach the debaters as well as the onlookers. I know I learn from not just what they say but by the fact that they show me........how they think. That in itself is a treasure. Anyone can give you water but not many people show you how to dig a well.

I asked Larry a question re buying bonds and then asked him 3 or 4 followup questions to it. He did not blow me away with just one answer and drop me but rather hung in there with me answering my questions all the way to the end. He really is incredible. Then again also Laura with her patient questions re my portfolio analysis is a Queen beyond belief.

That is what is so fantastic about Bogleheads/Diehards. They drill down and keep going ever deeper and all the time based on an honest scientific methodology rather than the very many alternatives to that that are out there.

It really does renew ones faith in mankind to be allowed to participate in the process that goes on here.

Enjoy.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

I agree. Rick and Larry's debates are always the most interesting threads, imho. It makes me think about the issues far more when I can see both sides of the argument, and understand the subject far more.
avram53

Ditto!

Post by avram53 »

It really does renew ones faith in mankind to be allowed to participate in the process that goes on here.
Ditto. It really does renew one's faith in mankind. In fact, even though the subject matter "naturally" interests me, I believe my greatest attraction to these forums is more about the "tone" and "kindness" shown. The willingness to help other people, no matter what the question.

Thanks to all.

Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

I'm going to add my two cents to this thread. I never cease to be amazed at how blessed I feel (not in a religious sense, mind you, but financially, caring a lot about my retirement and my family and my playing with my future and trying to not be an idiot about the whole thing...) in having found this family of bogleheads that I have COMPLETELY adopted!

Again, I'll say it: thank you for giving me this next phase of my life education.

RTR
pkcrafter

appreciation

Post by pkcrafter »

The debates can be interesting, but I would just like to express my appreciation to Rick, Larry, Taylor, Mel, Michael and many others who spend time on these forums educating us.

I think it's very funny when someone says these authors only do this to sell books! There is no way any of them will make anything significant compared to the time and energy they put into their dedication and desire to help others.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I think it's very funny when someone says these authors only do this to sell books! There is no way any of them will make anything significant compared to the time and energy they put into their dedication and desire to help others.
That is especially true when an author donates all his book profits to charity.

:)
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

CountryBoy- That is a classy way to say "Thank you" to those people. Many could learn something good from you, too.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

What a wonder full world it would be.......

Post by CountryBoy »

Just think, if instead of keeping Jack Bogle, Taylor, Larry, etc. to ourselves we sent them to Washington.......

Jack Bogle - as head of the SEC

Taylor - as President. I understand at the last Diehard meeting that when asked to speak he got up; went through much preparation, and then broke up the audience by saying "No." Do you realize what that would mean? A President of the US who not only has a wonderful sense of humor but actually chooses his words sparingly. That would be a first in our country's history.

Laura-who already travels a lot, as Sec. of the State Dept

Rick-head of the Defense Dept.

Larry-head of Treasury

Mel, Michael, et.al.- to be determined.
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

Just got back from my trip--and managed to stay in boat all three days--though my daughter went out briefly when a big fat guy in front of her fell backwards and knocked her out of boat. This guy was cocky and said he was really good and should sit up front--overconfidence is a common human trait, including the species known as active investors.

At any rate, thanks for the kind words. I spend my time here as my way of giving something back. Grew up sleeping in a kitchen in the Bronx and only in America could I be where I am today. Posts like the one that started this thread and the many emails from all over the globe I get make the time more than worthwhile--truly it is better to give than to receive.

So my pleasure.
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Larry, Good to see your response here. Thanks for giving so much of your time and experience.

Explain more about the boat and your trip, I'm confused.....what was going on? ;-)

Ave
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

avram

My 21 year old daughter and I went for five day trip to Colorado for 3 days of whitewater rafting and site seeing. On the class 4+ rapids of the Numbers section of the Arkansas this big overweight guy who had boasted what that he was an experienced rafter and should seat in the front seat lost his balanced and fell back into my daughter who was in the middle seat and threw her out of the boat, right into a class 4 rapid. Luckily there was another rafter behind her and he managed to pull her in quickly.

Whitewater rafting is one of my passions. I have now been on over 40 trips all over the country. I do a lot of counseling with high net worth individuals about what is important in life. That IMO is one of the roles a good financial advisor actually plays. It is not just about investing but helping people figure out what their goals are in life and then helping them to develop a plan to achieve those goals. So one of the questions I ask people during what we call a discovery meeting is: If you died tomorrow what would you regret not having done. I then tell them to build that activity into their plans to make sure that they don't have that regret. So taking my own advice one of my goals is to raft as many of the class 4-5 rapids in the US as I can. Each year I try to plan a few trips to do that. Last year I ran the Cataract Canyon section of the Colorado river, near the grand canyon as well as the North Fork of the Yuba north of Sacremento. This year I ran the Skykomish outside of Seattle and now four sections of the Arkansas, Brown's Canyon, The Numbers, The Narrows and the Royal Gorge. Next year I hope to do either the Klamath, The Cal Salmon or the Kern.
avram53

Larry...

Post by avram53 »

Larry,

Thanks for the details about that trip and glad your daughter wasn’t hurt. Thanks also for the discussion about life’s goals. I’m in a similar age range with you, I think (early to mid 50’s), and I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about life’s goals. I’ve recently re-discovered bicycle riding, and look forward to biking wherever and whenever the opportunity presents.

The fact that you practice what you preach-- about life’s goals-- is admirable and inspiring to me. How long has whitewater rafting been a passion of yours?

Best, Ave
HockeyMike35

Post by HockeyMike35 »

Thanks to both Rick and Larry!

Larry,
If you ever come out to the east coast you should give the New River and Gauley :shock: River a try. I would love to get out to Colorado rivers sometime.
http://www.wvrafting.com/rivers.cfm

Good Luck,

Mike
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

avram
I started rafting at about age 30--first ran the south fork of the American river, a mild class three with incredibly beautiful scenario. Then graduated to the middle fork, pretty wild class four--both near Sacramento. Now have done over 40 trips on about 25 or so rivers.

Mike---I have run the Gauley twice. Second best run in country IMO--only behind the Upper Yough in Ohiopyle PA--which I have run four times. The New is definitely on my must do list. Back east have also run the Chatooga twice, the Ocee, the Nantahala, the Nolichucky, the Cheat (2), the Big Sandy, the Hudson (in the snow) and the Ottawa.

If people interested I will try to post when I go--come and join--the more the merrier.
avram53

Larry...

Post by avram53 »

Larry,

Well....I’d be a newbie with whitewater rafting....pause, gulp.....but if you’re ever venturing to the Northeast (I would be willing to drive several hours from the NY/NJ area......ie. did drive down to DHVI in Virginia) and would actually welcome someone inexperienced who has never rafted before......then darn, go ahead and let us know! ;-) It’s our diehard connection and your example of just “do it” that convinced me.

Oh yeah, how dangerous are the level four’s? Would you consider “a mild class three”??? ;-)
Best, Ave
G12

Post by G12 »

The Ocoee is good times, although my left shoulder has never been the same from the last trip. I hope to try the Chatooga for the first time in August with some friends. I will sit in the back away from large people. Larry continues to give good life advice. :D
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

avram

I pretty much go now only on big WWR, meaning 4 and above--would not want to take a newbie on that type trip. So if want to join, go on some class 3 stuff first. Lose your virginity (:-))

G12

Ocoee is nice beginner trip. Might also run the Nantahala which is nearby--only class two but can do it in rubber duckies--I thought it was fun
G12

Post by G12 »

Larry, the Ocoee has a combination this summer that includes the portion of the river that was used for the Olympics. I am assuming that portion contains class 4. It is total of about 5 hours on the river. I have heard the Chatooga is the river to run. We moderate and newbie types have to get our fun where we can without experiencing near death scenarios!!! The river is definitely a nice respite from summer heat, no matter class of rapids, that is for sure.

I still remember the canoeing trip my wife and I went on where she got T-boned in the chest by the canoe when we lost it in some rapids, it was not good at the time but we still laugh about the incident and the cooler we lost. Life jackets are definitely a good thing.
:D