Morningstar ceasing qualitative research coverage of Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jpwrs

Morningstar ceasing qualitative research coverage of Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index

Post by jpwrs »

Good morning (from PST),

I was reading that Morningstar will cease qualitative research coverage of Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index on or about July 26, 2022, in order to reallocate our analysts to research other strategies. At that time, the last Morningstar Analyst Rating and this research will be removed. After that date, please discontinue using the research report or former research reports issued by Morningstar on this fund. We recommend users form their own views on this fund or obtain financial advice. Funds include:

VBILX - Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares
BIV - Vanguard Interm-Term Bond ETF

Is there anything to glean from Morningstar's decision to cease qualitative research of this particular Index? Or is there simply little reason to keep the research going as the quality doesn't fluctuate enough to warrant active coverage?

Thank you.
rkhusky

Re: Morningstar ceasing qualitative research coverage of Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index

Post by rkhusky »

I'm not sure why Morningstar does any analysis of broad-based index funds. It's probably only worth noting when a fund deviates significantly from the index or the expense ratio is higher than it ought to be.