The Bogleheads Conference is Back in 2022!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

The Bogleheads Conference is Back in 2022!

Post by Bogle Center »

The Bogleheads Conference is Back!

This is a pre-announcement. You can’t sign-up yet!

After three long years, the Bogleheads Conference is back! Mark your calendar for October 12-14. The conference will be in a suburb near O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, IL. The exact location will be announced in April during the early registration period.

- The events will start Wednesday afternoon, October 12, with the brand new Bogleheads University. It is a free pre-conference designed for new members to learn more about the Bogleheads. Later that afternoon, we’ll have a Welcome Reception for everyone.

- Thursday morning will feature main events from keynote speakers, and then in the afternoon split into two tracks, one for people in the accumulation phase and a second for those nearing retirement or in retirement. We’ll also have a special panel late in the afternoon from our friends at Morningstar. The day will end with a new Bogleheads Banquet featuring a special speaker and other treats.

- Friday morning will continue with main sessions by your favorite Bogleheads celebrities. The conference will end at noon.

We’re planning for up to 500 attendees and expect to sell out quickly. Look for a registration link in early April on Bogleheads.org, Bogleheads Reddit, Bogleheads Facebook, @Bogleheads Twitter, and of course, BogleCenter.net.

See you there!

The Bogle Center Board
rvs323

Re: The Bogleheads Conference is Back in 2022!

Post by rvs323 »

Yes! I’ve been looking for this announcement on the forum every day for weeks. This is great news!
fsrph

Re: 2022 bogleheads conference

Post by fsrph »

This was posted on the Bogleheads Facebook page today.

Hi Facebook Bogleheads, We wanted to let you know that The Bogleheads National Conference is back for 2022. Here's a link about the information regarding this event. At this time, you CAN'T sign up yet. This post is just to let you know the 2022 Conference is scheduled, and to give you a, "Heads Up," about it. If you have not registered to post at the Bogleheads.org site yet, this might be a good time to do this, because when it's time to sign up to attend the 2022 BH Conference, you need to do so at the Bogleheads.org site, NOT HERE. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=371792&newpost=654 ... pCo#unread

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Nice to see it coming back and expanded.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

What kind of program will the conference have? Will it focus upon traditional boglehead investing styles (low cost total market index funds, three fund portfolios, etc) or will it feature modern portfolio theory, factors, and other innovations?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My first Bogleheads conference was back in 2010. That was the year they starting having conferences in Philadelphia. Why? So Jack didn't have to travel.

I stayed at a sibling's house close to the conference which resulted in a short commute. I have been doing that every year 2010. Now, I'll have to fly and stay at a hotel. :)

Update: Clarified where I stayed during the conference.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SGM

Post by SGM »

My first Bogleheads Conference was also in 2010. I went every year thereafter. We enjoyed taking first timers out to dinner on the first night. It was in the Philadelphia area which was close to my brother's house. He came several times and slept at home and came at breakfast daily. DW and I stayed at the hotel where the conference was held. It was very enjoyable and informative. I got to meet other Bogleheads and several authors and experts on a one-on-one basis. DW did not attend the meetings but did get to break bread with some BHs. She is familiar with the BH philosophy. It was not a long drive from our farm and after the conference we continued up the coast and stayed at our vacation home for several days. I have pleasant memories of these conferences.

Chicago is a bit far for us to go and I have been retired now for almost 8 years, I recommend attending these conferences for others. I learned a lot by going to the conferences in the Philadelphia area, Lady Geek does valuable work at these conferences and on the website.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Hmm, now I have a use for those United Air miles that have been "burning a hole in my pocket," for two years now!
Dylan_Goatman

Post by Dylan_Goatman »

Will the speakers etc be livestreamed for international users?
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 pm What kind of program will the conference have? Will it focus upon traditional boglehead investing styles (low cost total market index funds, three fund portfolios, etc) or will it feature modern portfolio theory, factors, and other innovations?
Yes and yes.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Dylan_Goatman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:32 pm Will the speakers etc be livestreamed for international users?
No. But sessions will be recorded, edited, and posted on the Bogleheads YouTube channel in a timely manner.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

To clarify, the conference is not in Chicago. It is in a nice venue close to O’Hara. The cost is far less expensive than Chicago, but there will be crazy hotel taxes to pay.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rick Ferri wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 pm To clarify, the conference is not in Chicago. It is in a nice venue close to O’Hara. The cost is far less expensive than Chicago, but there will be crazy hotel taxes to pay.
Hi Rick,

Will the venue accommodate all 500 participants to stay in? I found a great value in staying in the same hotel with other Bogleheads and our nightly discussions in the bar.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If I pay extra can I get a "stock picks from Rick Ferri" breakout session so I can short his picks? :twisted:
tiresias

Post by tiresias »

What kind of covid protection will there be?
~~~ when dumb money acknowledges its limitations, it ceases to be dumb ~~~
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:56 pm
Rick Ferri wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 pm To clarify, the conference is not in Chicago. It is in a nice venue close to O’Hara. The cost is far less expensive than Chicago, but there will be crazy hotel taxes to pay.
Hi Rick,

Will the venue accommodate all 500 participants to stay in? I found a great value in staying in the same hotel with other Bogleheads and our nightly discussions in the bar.

Victoria
We are taking a sizable room block, but not 500. A lot of people will come as a couple and others live locally.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

tiresias wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:57 pm What kind of covid protection will there be?
Whatever the local regulations are at the time.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:57 pm If I pay extra can I get a "stock picks from Rick Ferri" breakout session so I can short his picks? :twisted:
It will not be cheap. My stocks picks are worth a lot to hedge fund managers who short stocks.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:24 pm Hmm, now I have a use for those United Air miles that have been "burning a hole in my pocket," for two years now!
I have AAdvantage miles that I've been saving for something like this for a lot more than two years.

(I was also at the last Bogleheads Conference that was held in Chicago. It was at Morningstar HQ in downtown Chicago. There were a lot fewer than 500 people there. Closer to 5o IIRC.)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:48 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:24 pm Hmm, now I have a use for those United Air miles that have been "burning a hole in my pocket," for two years now!
I have AAdvantage miles that I've been saving for something like this for a lot more than two years.

(I was also at the last Bogleheads Conference that was held in Chicago. It was at Morningstar HQ in downtown Chicago. There were a lot fewer than 500 people there. Closer to 5o IIRC.)
I seem to recall that at one of our early Conferences (perhaps #2 in Philly or was it #3 in Chicago?) when Jack saw the name on your badge and said "I recognize you!".
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Hoping it turns out to be any one of multiple chain hotels where the ever-frugal Bogleheads can pay with their loyalty club reward or credit card reward points, then!

I have noticed that hotel taxes generally don't apply to hotel stays paid for with rewards points rather than cash (at least in the cities I have thus far used them, i.e., NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and DC.) Not sure if Illinois also exempts hotel taxes for stays paid with points rather than cash.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:56 pm
Hi Rick,

Victoria
Yes, me too! If I get lucky enough to be among those who manage to get a coveted registration slot this year (past years' attendee slots have often been "sold out" within hours), I will definitely try to make reservations right away.
Rick Ferri wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:04 pm We are taking a sizable room block, but not 500. A lot of people will come as a couple and others live locally.
I know that at past BH conventions, at least some attendees with lots of points usable at nearby hotels but not at the conference hotel itself, chose to stay at those nearby hotels which accepted their points rather than at the official conference hotel, so that is yet another reason for organizers to reserve a block substantially less than 500 rooms.
jeffreys

Post by jeffreys »

What was the cost for previous conferences so I can get an idea of what the cost of this might be?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The 2019 conference cost was $325.00. The attendance was roughly 200 people and was held in Philadelphia. See: Bogleheads® Conference history

I have no idea if that cost is relevant to the 2022 conference, as it's in a different city and venue.

Prior conference details: Bogleheads® Conferences
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I’m happy to see the attendance is set at 500 vs the prior 200. Hopefully this will allow the majority of those who want to attend to attend. Since I’m in southern Illinois, I can definitely see attending this conference.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Mel and I began the first Boglehead Conference at my Miami home (that Jack built) 22 years ago. Mr. Bogle and 21 Bogleheads attended. Since then, thousands of Bogleheads have attended our Conferences which have been held in various cities.

I never heard of anyone being disappointed.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experience of others. It’s cheaper.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
jeffreys

Post by jeffreys »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:02 pm The 2019 conference cost was $325.00. The attendance was roughly 200 people and was held in Philadelphia. See: Bogleheads® Conference history

I have no idea if that cost is relevant to the 2022 conference, as it's in a different city and venue.

Thank you.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:02 pm The 2019 conference cost was $325.00. The attendance was roughly 200 people and was held in Philadelphia. See: Bogleheads® Conference history

Also not sure exactly how it would work for 2022, but at 2019, the cost included several meals, and they were actually good compared to what you might expect at a conference.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Makefile wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:49 pm

Also not sure exactly how it would work for 2022, but at 2019, the cost included several meals, and they were actually good compared to what you might expect at a conference.
We are working on making the conference affordable, and there will be an Early-Bird price. Realize that inflation is up more than 10% since 2019.

Rick Ferri
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Rick Ferri wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:20 am
Makefile wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:49 pm

We are working on making the conference affordable, and there will be an Early-Bird price. Realize that inflation is up more than 10% since 2019.

Rick Ferri
If the conference sells out in a matter of hours, as recent conferences have, will all attendees be “early birds”?
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
tiresias

Post by tiresias »

Will those of us on the west coast be at a disadvantage in buying tickets since we begin our day 3 hours later?
~~~ when dumb money acknowledges its limitations, it ceases to be dumb ~~~
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Rick Ferri wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 pm To clarify, the conference is not in Chicago. It is in a nice venue close to O’Hara.
Forgive the attack of "spelling police", but should that perhaps be O'Hare?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, as we have conflicting travel plans. Perhaps next year....
:(
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I wish I could attend, but I will definitely watch the recordings! Should be awesome.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

tiresias wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:56 pm Will those of us on the west coast be at a disadvantage in buying tickets since we begin our day 3 hours later?
There are 500 seats. But I see your point. We'll figure a release time that's fair.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Rick Ferri wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 pm
tiresias wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:56 pm Will those of us on the west coast be at a disadvantage in buying tickets since we begin our day 3 hours later?
There are 500 seats. But I see your point. We'll figure a release time that's fair.
And please consider us who are across the pond! :D
indexlover

Post by indexlover »

Previous announcement dates on this forum for registration to the conference:

April 11, 2019 (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=278477
March 06, 2018 (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=243589
April 02, 2017 (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=215474
Feb 17, 2016 (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=184912
Feb 28, 2015 (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=159719
Feb 25, 2014 ( Personal Investments Forum ) viewtopic.php?t=133814
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

indexlover wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:32 pm Previous announcement dates on this forum for registration to the conference:

April 11, 2019, Thursday, 09:47 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=278477
March 06, 2018, Tuesday, 18:02 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=243589
April 02, 2017, Sunday, 19:19 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=215474
Feb 17, 2016, Wednesday, 18:52 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=184912
Feb 28, 2015, Saturday, 15:59 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=159719
Feb 25, 2014, Tuesday, 14:39 ET ( Personal Investments Forum ) viewtopic.php?t=133814
I added to indexlover's list days of the weeks and times of the announcements. The commonalities:
- Conferences were never announced on Friday or Monday
- Most announcements went out in the afternoon (I am using Eastern US time zone and 24-hour clock system)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:43 pm
indexlover wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:32 pm Previous announcement dates on this forum for registration to the conference:

April 11, 2019, Thursday, 09:47 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=278477
March 06, 2018, Tuesday, 18:02 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=243589
April 02, 2017, Sunday, 19:19 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=215474
Feb 17, 2016, Wednesday, 18:52 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=184912
Feb 28, 2015, Saturday, 15:59 ET (Investing - Theory, News & General Forum) viewtopic.php?t=159719
Feb 25, 2014, Tuesday, 14:39 ET ( Personal Investments Forum ) viewtopic.php?t=133814
I added to indexlover's list days of the weeks and times of the announcements. The commonalities:
- Conferences were never announced on Friday or Monday
- Most announcements went out in the afternoon (I am using Eastern US time zone and 24-hour clock system)

Victoria
That's a very nice recap, Victoria. There's one problem, though. I was the one making those previous announcements, but Rick is doing it now, so he may well have a totally different sleep pattern. :) :)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

Great news and thanks for bringing the conference to (nearly) my backyard. Posting due to excitement and to ensure that I receive a notification once registration goes live!
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Rick Ferri wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:49 pm
Dylan_Goatman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:32 pm Will the speakers etc be livestreamed for international users?
No. But sessions will be recorded, edited, and posted on the Bogleheads YouTube channel in a timely manner.
Are previous years sessions available on yt?
Pale Blue Dot
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:
Are previous years sessions available on yt?
Yes, the Boglehead Conference videos are available on the Bogleheads YouTube Channel.

Here is the playlist for the conference video series: Boglehead Conference Proceedings.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
LarryTJones

Post by LarryTJones »

Great to hear! Can’t wait for tickets to go on sale!
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

wonderful!
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham
ginrummy

Post by ginrummy »

Looking forward to the conference.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

The speaker list is shaping up nicely:

Burton Malkiel, Jason Zweig, Michelle Singletary, Bill Bernstein, MIke Piper, Christine Benz, and many, many more.

The Early Bird conference price will be $395 per attendee, plus an additional $100 charge if attending the new Bogleheads Banquet, which will be a sit-down dinner on Thursday evening with a special guest speaker, and we'll welcome our first inductee into the Bogleheads Hall of Fame!

Tickets will go on sale soon through a link on BogleCenter.net. The conference will be limited to 500 attendees. You do not need to be a registered user of this forum to attend.

See you there!

Rick Ferri
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm The speaker list is shaping up nicely:

Burton Malkiel, Jason Zweig, Michelle Singletary, Bill Bernstein, MIke Piper, Christine Benz, and many, many more.

The Early Bird conference price will be $395 per attendee, plus an additional $100 charge if attending the new Bogleheads Banquet, which will be a sit-down dinner on Thursday evening with a special guest speaker, and we'll welcome our first inductee into the Bogleheads Hall of Fame!

Tickets will go on sale soon through a link on BogleCenter.net. The conference will be limited to 500 attendees. You do not need to be a registered user of this forum to attend.

See you there!

Rick Ferri

Will we be able to purchase 2 tickets for the dinner but only 1 for the remainder of the conference for a non Boglehead spouse?
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Yes. There will be separate tickets for the event and the banquet.

Rick Ferri
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I would really like to attend for the first time ever. Besides subscribing to this topic, are there any other alerts I can sign up for to get a notification when tickets go on sale? I did sign up for the blog notifications on boglecenter.net.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
frederickj

Post by frederickj »

is the $500 nonrefundable
newcollegeman

Post by newcollegeman »

Not fussin, just wondering....

Early April has past.

What is the new expectation horizon for the Conference sign up announcement?

Many thanks,

newcollegeman