Recent Transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
monkeytypist

Recent Transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity

Post by monkeytypist »

Hi all, I know there have been many posts on this topic, but I'm seeking information from someone who did a *recent* full-account transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity.

I submitted an application this week to transfer my Roth IRA from Vanguard to Fidelity in full. The Roth contains ETF shares, and I see that the whole ETF shares were transferred but the partial share was liquidated and currently remains at Vanguard. My question is: will the liquidated cash automatically transfer over?

I do see past posts saying that it will, but last month I did a brokerage transfer (though not in full) and the cash proceeds from liquidating the partial share was *not* transferred over.

Thanks!
PersonalFinanceJam

Re: Recent Transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

monkeytypist wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:30 am Hi all, I know there have been many posts on this topic, but I'm seeking information from someone who did a *recent* full-account transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity.

I submitted an application this week to transfer my Roth IRA from Vanguard to Fidelity in full. The Roth contains ETF shares, and I see that the whole ETF shares were transferred but the partial share was liquidated and currently remains at Vanguard. My question is: will the liquidated cash automatically transfer over?

I do see past posts saying that it will, but last month I did a brokerage transfer (though not in full) and the cash proceeds from liquidating the partial share was *not* transferred over.

Thanks!
Yes it will assuming you really selected to do a full account transfer. I did mine about a year ago and this is exactly how it happened. The securities came over pretty quickly and then the leftover cash came several days later.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

yes.....these "residuals" will be transferred also if you did a FULL ACCOUNT TRANSFER.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Hopefully you get a reply from someone with experience on doing that.
FWIW, I haven't done it, but my assumption would be that if you requested a full/100% account transfer, the cash will also be transferred, it just takes a bit longer as they will not transfer partial shares (so they must be sold), and they won't transfer unsettled proceeds from a sale, so it seems to me it should be transferred from the prior request - just delayed by the settlement period.
I would suggest you send a secure message to Vanguard to get an answer from them, but I've heard that's among the customer service features they've dropped the ball on :(
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
intendi

Post by intendi »

Just did the same thing (Roth Vanguard-->Fidelity). Whole shares transferred over in kind 12/23. I received two cash transfers, the first on 12/28 and the second on 12/31. One of these was the fractional share cash and the other I assume was the dividend payout. Eventually it did all come over without any fuss.
MechEngOSU

Post by MechEngOSU »

Did you push from Vanguard or pull from Fidelity? When I did this by pulling from Fidelity, the partial shares came over as cash a week or two later. It was not longer than that. If it has been longer, I would call Fidelity not Vanguard to help with the pull finalization.
SxSW

Post by SxSW »

Not only will the cash sweep over, but any residual dividends will sweep over for the next several months as part of the transfer process.
Topic Author
monkeytypist

Post by monkeytypist »

Thanks all. To close the loop on this, the cash proceeds from the fractional ETF share swept over automatically, and timeline was identical to intendi's.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MechEngOSU wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:33 am Did you push from Vanguard or pull from Fidelity? When I did this by pulling from Fidelity, the partial shares came over as cash a week or two later. It was not longer than that. If it has been longer, I would call Fidelity not Vanguard to help with the pull finalization.
I think acats is pull only