Jerome liked Vanguard Stock Market Index Fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Jack&Warren disciple

Jerome liked Vanguard Stock Market Index Fund

Post by Jack&Warren disciple »

From todays WP, page A22: "The largest, by far, was the Oct. 1 sale of a Vanguard Stock Market Index fund valued between $1 million and $5 million."

Fed chair's critics sharpen attacks on his financial activity

I guess if the VTI is good enough for the Chairman of the Fed, it's good enough for me ;-) ! Yes, I know he sold for "family expenses", but at some point he liked it enough to buy it...
celia

Re: Jerome liked Vanguard Stock Market Index Fund

Post by celia »

OP, I assume you know many elected officials and high-level government employees are required to file financial disclosures. To avoid influence by specific companies, they hold mutual funds or ETFs instead of individual stocks.

Since Vanguard has one of the largest selections of funds, doesn’t it make sense he would likely hold some of them?
RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ »

The market, when you’re “directing” the market, is the conservative investment. Why use bonds when you know where things are headed?
Now if he sold all his vti then you ought to be worried.

On a more serious note, holding a widely diversified etf or mutual fund is precisely what high level government officials should be limited to investing in. Much better than specific company stocks where favoritism and corruption are bigger issues. Indeed these are the kinds of holdings that are an easy approval for a compliance department
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (other people). See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.