Vanguard "Customized View" changed somehow

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Norton750

Vanguard "Customized View" changed somehow

Post by Norton750 »

My family has several accounts at Vanguard that I have access to. I use the Vanguard "Customized View" to display only the assets that I want to see when I'm on the web site viewing things. This same customized view controls which assets are included when I download current holdings from the Vanguard site.

Within the past 10 days or so my customized view was changed causing several assets to no longer appear when I view or download current assets. I'm the only person with the access to do this from my family - and I didn't do it. This was easy to fix, but I found it quite disturbing. Vanguard claims that they find no record of it being edited in their logs, but they are still looking into it.

My question to the group: Has anyone else experienced this problem or heard of it happening to others?
anon_investor

Re: Vanguard "Customized View" changed somehow

Post by anon_investor »

Norton750 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm My family has several accounts at Vanguard that I have access to. I use the Vanguard "Customized View" to display only the assets that I want to see when I'm on the web site viewing things. This same customized view controls which assets are included when I download current holdings from the Vanguard site.

Within the past 10 days or so my customized view was changed causing several assets to no longer appear when I view or download current assets. I'm the only person with the access to do this from my family - and I didn't do it. This was easy to fix, but I found it quite disturbing. Vanguard claims that they find no record of it being edited in their logs, but they are still looking into it.

My question to the group: Has anyone else experienced this problem or heard of it happening to others?
Their website has always been wonky. I can view family members' accounts as well, and despite my customized settings, sometimes it doesn't stick. It has been like that forever.
Rad-1

Post by Rad-1 »

I am having the same issues. Won’t save my custom settings. Gives me an error to try again later. Been this way for months now. Super annoying Vanguard. Please fix!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 pm
Norton750 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm My family has several accounts at Vanguard that I have access to. I use the Vanguard "Customized View" to display only the assets that I want to see when I'm on the web site viewing things. This same customized view controls which assets are included when I download current holdings from the Vanguard site.

Their website has always been wonky. I can view family members' accounts as well, and despite my customized settings, sometimes it doesn't stick. It has been like that forever.
When you return to the Balances/Holdings page after adding or deleting an account on the customized view page (after saving the new view) are you refreshing the Balances/Holdings page?

It took me a bit of time to realize that until the page is refreshed, your view will not change. The need to refresh should be intuitive, but it wasn't for me for a while. :oops:

At any rate I just went thru several iterations of my customized view and encountered no problems. FWIW I use Windows 11 with Microsoft edge.

I manage my accounts and five other family members' accounts and use the customized view tool frequently.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:25 am

When you return to the Balances/Holdings page after adding or deleting an account on the customized view page (after saving the new view) are you refreshing the Balances/Holdings page?

It took me a bit of time to realize that until the page is refreshed, your view will not change. The need to refresh should be intuitive, but it wasn't for me for a while. :oops:

At any rate I just went thru several iterations of my customized view and encountered no problems. FWIW I use Windows 11 with Microsoft edge.

I manage my accounts and five other family members' accounts and use the customized view tool frequently.

Broken Man 1999
I have having those issues over a year ago, when the website would half look like the new view and half look like old view and wouldn't save the customized view all the time. Everything seems to be working alright now. I don't love the new view, but that is just aestetics.
Rad-1

Post by Rad-1 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:25 am

Broken Man 1999

That’s the problem. It won’t even let me save the new view in the customized settings now. Gives the error message “There was an error when trying to save. Please try again later.”
So refreshing doesn’t matter.

Anybody else here know how to get around this or is this a broken page website issue? Appreciate any help that could be provided. I am not a computer novice either. The website appears broke on my end. But if that were the case others shouldn’t be able to save settings either.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

If the goal is just to get around the problem as quickly as possible, an approach that is definitely quick and surprisingly often "solves" the problem is try a different browser. For example, if you're using Microsoft Edge, try Firefox or Chrome or Brave. Websites showing broken behavior with one browser often work properly with another.

I will volunteer that Firefox is my go-to, it is the website most likely to work if I am having problems with another.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Rad-1

Post by Rad-1 »

Yep I am using Firefox. I have also tried chrome and edge and same thing happens.