Investing Influences

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
chris319

Investing Influences

Post by chris319 »

Is there a well-known investor other than Jack Bogle who has influenced your investing? Bogle is the obvious inspiration for everyone on this board, but is there anyone besides him?

Lately I'm finding myself influenced by Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger. I have watched several videos with them and they've taught me the value of taking a longer-term view of my investments than previously, and not to seek instant gratification. I'm glad we have video recordings of them to hear them speak.

Cathie Wood hasn't inspired me. I see her as more soothsayer than stock picker. I wish her great good luck in predicting the future.

Although he is not well known to the general public, a fellow who has written several books about leverage and money management is Ralph Vince. I have his first book and it is thick with math but the underlying principles have been quite valuable to me.
The only person you have to please in life is yourself.
L84SUPR

Re: Investing Influences

Post by L84SUPR »

Not an investor in the way I think you mean, but in terms of the finer points of tents, buckets, glide paths, SWR, etc. I have been influenced by Michael Kitces. For me his writing bridges the gap from theory to modeling to practice.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Warren Buffett. I ran into someone a decade ago who recommended S&P500; little I knew he happened to be saying the same thing as the sage of Omaha.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

chris319 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 pm Is there a well-known investor other than Jack Bogle who has influenced your investing? Bogle is the obvious inspiration for everyone on this board, but is there anyone besides him?

Lately I'm finding myself influenced by Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger. I have watched several videos with them and they've taught me the value of taking a longer-term view of my investments than previously, and not to seek instant gratification. I'm glad we have video recordings of them to hear them speak.

Cathie Wood hasn't inspired me. I see her as more soothsayer than stock picker. I wish her great good luck in predicting the future.

Although he is not well known to the general public, a fellow who has written several books about leverage and money management is Ralph Vince. I have his first book and it is thick with math but the underlying principles have been quite valuable to me.
No, John Bogle is it.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

L84SUPR wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm ..I have been influenced by Michael Kitces. For me his writing bridges the gap from theory to modeling to practice.
I second that. I subscribe to Michael Kitces's newsletters. He is often the first to write about strategies based on new laws, e.g. Obama Care tax credits for low income taxpayers, which was useful in bridging medical insurance between retirement and Medicare.
https://www.kitces.com/blog/how-the-pre ... -tax-rate/
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

For me it was Paul Merriman and Larry Swedroe whose writings brought me to the idea of index funds and allocations and that you could do this yourself with a plan.
ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot »

Burton Malkiel's "The Random Walk Guide To Investing" was a pretty good condensed summary of his old advice, but now too old to have much influence.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Pete Lynch

I buy individual stocks. Hold them passively for decades+. It works better than indexing if one has lots of discipline and can think independently.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Taylor Larimore, Michael LeBeouf, and Mel Lindauer.

The three authors of "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing".
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Archean

Post by Archean »

Rick Ferri's book "All about asset allocation" was a game changer for me.
"Archean - an early geologic eon before index funds"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ReadyOrNot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:37 amBurton Malkiel's "The Random Walk Guide To Investing" was a pretty good condensed summary of his old advice, but now too old to have much influence.
When Malkiel first published this book which took dead aim at Active Investing it was very influential to me. Now Passive Investing is pretty much Main Stream and no longer a novelty.

I want to mention William Bernstein's "The Four Pillars of Investing", too. It was one of many of the accessible books about tilting to small-caps and value. Tilting away from Total Market Weights has fallen out of favor in the past 5 years or so, but I'm sure it will be back.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Have you seen Taylor's Investing Gems from the forum wiki? It's pretty amazing. Taylor has culled and compiled the most important quotes from dozens of influential authors' books.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Taylor_ ... tment_Gems
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Jason Zweig, Jonathan Clements, Jane Bryant Quinn, Charlie Ellis, Morgan Housel, Ben Carlson, Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBeouf, Rick Ferri, Richard Thaler, Buffett and Munger, Larry Swedroe, and Ben Graham, to name a few.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

definitely Mr Bogle

also Jane Bryan Quinn and Liz Weston as far as being 'savvy' at general financial planning -- budgeting, savings, tax implications, general personal finance

also the authors of Millionaire Next Door : Thomas Stanley / William Danko. nothing technical but it reinforced that with a plan and enough time a decent earning American can achieve a net worth of over $1M.

------------------------------------------
Silversides

Post by Silversides »

Honestly Bogle’s On Mutual Funds audiobook plus this forum for efficient asset allocation advice was 99% of what I needed to know.

The portfolio review posts and responses here are gold for learning through the experiences of others knowing I may one day face similar situations.

I’ll add that I found this place via the White Coat Investor site and enjoy reading the short articles there and owe them a nod.

Post by 1789 »

I was inspired by so many regular people who are millionaires now. They are NOT well known, but they are

electricians, technicians, teachers etc... they wrote the book of how to live below your means
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

chris319 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 pm Is there a well-known investor other than Jack Bogle who has influenced your investing? Bogle is the obvious inspiration for everyone on this board, but is there anyone besides him?

+1

Warren and Charlie have had an influence; I enjoy the videos and have a few books about them.
DaufuskieNate

Post by DaufuskieNate »

Benjamin Graham, Larry Swedroe, Antii Ilmanen and Laurence Kotlikoff.
Forester

Post by Forester »

William Bernstein (precious metals, waryness of LT bonds), Meb Faber (country valuations), Bogle (CMH), Pim van Vliet & Lawrence Hamtil (low vol). Then lately I have turned sour on momentum & trend thanks to Rob Arnott & others, I now view it as a form of gambling.
CEO & Senior Macro Strategist | Forester's Personal Investment Account