Retirees quick response please! Age, Xpenses & SWR

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Retirees quick response please! Age, Xpenses & SWR

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Happy Sunday BH's. Curious mostly from those that have already retired. What were your numbers at the time you retired? Ladygeek, your post about retiring last year spurred me to ask everyone ;)

My targets below:

1. Retirement age: 50
2. Portfolio target: 33 to 40X (I think past 40X may be wasteful of my time/opp cost if I don't retire)
3. SWR: I get this will change over time. But, at age 50 I think I'd want a SWR of 3% or less.

I get that 2. And 3. are related, but I think two different/useful metrics at time of retirement.

What was your 1. 2. 3. retirees??
:sharebeer

Changing title and bump!
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
SnowBog

Re: Retirees quick response please! Age, Xpenses & SWR

Post by SnowBog »

Well, I'm not your target audience (I'm not retired), but seeing as you haven't had a response yet I'll give mine to give the thread a bump.

1) We are currently mid-40's, planning to retire (or re-tire) by 52 (if not sooner).

2) I have a hard time accurately defining my X due to changing expenses and income during retirement as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=357002

3) We don't plan to use SWR, instead will be using VPW to define our upper spending limit. Based on my home built model, our projected initial withdrawal is < 4%, but will vary and be in the low 5% in some years, until delayed social security and pensions kick in where it will be well under 3%.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

SnowBog wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm Well, I'm not your target audience (I'm not retired), but seeing as you haven't had a response yet I'll give mine to give the thread a bump.

1) We are currently mid-40's, planning to retire (or re-tire) by 52 (if not sooner).

2) I have a hard time accurately defining my X due to changing expenses and income during retirement as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=357002

3) We don't plan to use SWR, instead will be using VPW to define our upper spending limit. Based on my home built model, our projected initial withdrawal is < 4%, but will vary and be in the low 5% in some years, until delayed social security and pensions kick in where it will be well under 3%.
Wow, this is very nearly identical to what we are/will be doing.
1) Currently 52, may retire in 3 months, or at 55.
2) anticipate having 40X, but that wasn’t a goal or prerequisite. The markets have just been really good. I’d personally be complexly fine mentally retiring at 28X.
3) I too plan to use the VPW spreadsheet to set an annual upper limit in spending. If I retired today, I would only spend about 75% of what VPW indicates.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm Happy Sunday BH's. Curious mostly from those that have already retired. What were your numbers at the time you retired? Ladygeek, your post about retiring last year spurred me to ask everyone ;)

My targets below:

2. Portfolio target: 33 to 40X (I think past 40X may be wasteful of my time/opp cost if I don't retire)
3. SWR: I get this will change over time. But, at age 50 I think I'd want a SWR of 3% or less.

I get that 2. And 3. are related, but I think two different/useful metrics at time of retirement.

Changing title and bump!
Per request:

1. Retirement age: 58
2. Portfolio target: >33X (of budget beyond SS and pension)
3. Not using SWR, but I would be around 2.0% to 2.5% if I were.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

SnowBog wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm 2) I have a hard time accurately defining my X due to changing expenses and income during retirement as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=357002
Prior to retiring, our "X" was simply my budget estimate of retirement expenses that I prepared to determine "readiness."

Actual expenses over the last several years have varied from +23% to -17% but surprisingly, the average is pretty close. I don't use any rules on withdrawing, instead using the Taylor Larimore Method. In fact, during the 2008-09 downtick we actually increased our expenses quite bit since it was a cost-effective time to get some renovation work done and travel deals were too good to pass up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm What was your 1. 2. 3. retirees??
1. 50
2. 40X
3. 2.5%

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm 1. Retirement age: 50
1. Retired at 56.
2. 30x
3. SWR target at retirement was 3%.

But I never really used the SWR. Instead I had a big cash cushion at retirement and used my taxable dividends as income. Now [10 years into retirement], I spend my taxable dividend stream, my Social Security survivor's benefits, and my rental income. I will do a withdrawal for a big expense, e.g. new car, musical instrument, remodel, etc.
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

SnowBog wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm Well, I'm not your target audience (I'm not retired), but seeing as you haven't had a response yet I'll give mine to give the thread a bump.

Thank you SnowBog! I really liked your thread on figuring out X.
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Normchad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Wow, this is very nearly identical to what we are/will be doing.
1) Currently 52, may retire in 3 months, or at 55.
2) anticipate having 40X, but that wasn’t a goal or prerequisite. The markets have just been really good. I’d personally be complexly fine mentally retiring at 28X.
3) I too plan to use the VPW spreadsheet to set an annual upper limit in spending. If I retired today, I would only spend about 75% of what VPW indicates.
Thanks Normchad!
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Mishigami wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:24 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm Happy Sunday BH's. Curious mostly from those that have already retired. What were your numbers at the time you retired? Ladygeek, your post about retiring last year spurred me to ask everyone ;)

My targets below:

Changing title and bump!
Per request:

1. Retirement age: 58
2. Portfolio target: >33X (of budget beyond SS and pension)
3. Not using SWR, but I would be around 2.0% to 2.5% if I were.
Thank you Mishigami!
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

retired@50 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:40 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm What was your 1. 2. 3. retirees??
1. 50
2. 40X
3. 2.5%

Regards,
Thanks retired@50. I look out for your insightful posts!
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:01 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm 1. Retirement age: 50
1. Retired at 56.
2. 30x
3. SWR target at retirement was 3%.

But I never really used the SWR. Instead I had a big cash cushion at retirement and used my taxable dividends as income. Now [10 years into retirement], I spend my taxable dividend stream, my Social Security survivor's benefits, and my rental income. I will do a withdrawal for a big expense, e.g. new car, musical instrument, remodel, etc.
Awesome. Thanks scoobie ;)
1 to 2 year cash cushion + taxable dividends is something I am aiming for.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

65, retired at 56
15x
8%
Wife starts SS next year, will be 6% then
@ 70 when my SS starts we'll be @ 1%

Some of these Rule #s folks use don't mean squat. We have a higher X multiple now then we started retirement with.
Regards | Bob
Enterprise D

Post by Enterprise D »

Retired from full time employment at age 63;
Transitioned gradually to complete retirement at age 66;
25X target;
2% SWR,
Now 70 y.o., have not needed to make any withdrawals, SS and pension are sufficient.

We plan to make withdrawals when it is safer to travel.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

1) Late 40s (close enough to 50!) - pulled the plug this year.
2) 35X
3) For the next 5-7 years, my spouse will continue to work for a minimal income, so around 2.2%. The hope is this takes us past any sequence risk. Then we'll probably be around 3.5%, but ask again in 5 to 7 years - maybe the market tanks 50% and stays there.. then I'll be finding a job instead.
Retired Bill

Post by Retired Bill »

1. 59
2. About 20X gross earnings the 10 years before, but annual gross earnings was more than needed to live on. Also, retirement assets are about 1/2 rental farmland and other 1/2 in marketable securities in IRA's which is different asset allocation than most here.
3. We just withdrew what was needed for expenses to age 70 from IRA's. now RMD's and SS more than cover living expenses. both farmland rents/values and increase in IRA's over the past 14 years have vastly exceeded what I was projecting at time I mostly retired 14 years ago. I continued to do a few tax returns to earn enough to make Roth IRA contributions to age 69 as well as have something to do. I knew I would miss the annual visits with the clients.

Personally, withdrawals rates not much of a concern. the bigger issue is what i would do with the additional time once fully retired. not too long ago that most people didn't make it to age 65. now many of us may well have more years in retirement than working years. we have truly been blessed.
Squirrel208

Post by Squirrel208 »

1. Retired earlier this year at 56 years old.
2. Portfolio: Initial target during accumulation years was 25X. Actual portfolio at retirement earlier this year was 30X. Future portfolio will likely be 50X after inheritance in another 15 years or so. (I'm currently managing the future inherited portfolio for my mother too.)
3. SWR VWR: Guyton-Klinger Guardrails strategy to maximize initial withdrawal rate for next 15 years until receiving inheritance and taking SS at 70. Also provides withdrawal rate contingency if inheritance is signifignatly impacted by extended bear market and/or mother needed expensive LTC for extended period.

Not sure how any of this information will be insightful or actionable for anyone else though.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm
SnowBog wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm 2) I have a hard time accurately defining my X due to changing expenses and income during retirement as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=357002
Prior to retiring, our "X" was simply my budget estimate of retirement expenses that I prepared to determine "readiness."

Actual expenses over the last several years have varied from +23% to -17% but surprisingly, the average is pretty close. I don't use any rules on withdrawing, instead using the Taylor Larimore Method. In fact, during the 2008-09 downtick we actually increased our expenses quite bit since it was a cost-effective time to get some renovation work done and travel deals were too good to pass up.
My challenge is my projections show 2X the spending at 55 than they do at 75. Most of that is do to lifestyle stages, early on we'll likely still have a child in college, so planning on higher initial expenses (college should be funded, but assuming we'd need to maintain "family" medical insurance, higher travel expenses to visit them and just for early retirement in general, and likely more home repair/remodeling costs).

And then we'll have delayed pensions and social security kicking in. Combined with the reduction in spending (stagged in over the prior years), we'll only need like like 25% (or less) of the initial withdrawal.

If we started after child was fully launched, things get simpler...

For the "Taylor Larimore [Withdrawal] Method", is that basically "just use common sense"? That's what I gathered from this post of yours.
viewtopic.php?t=241773
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Not there yet, but soon.

1. 59/60
2. 30-35x
3. 3.0% as a guide but flexible

2 and 3 are actually more complicated due to potential ongoing needs of adult children with disability and other issues.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I will be retiring next year at age 60.
My wife and I are very fortunate because our pensions and social security (at age 62) will cover our "base expenses". Our portfolio will be used for vacations, snowbirding, gifts, and charity. We plan to use a 4% withdrawal rate.
wandering_aimlessly

Post by wandering_aimlessly »

A:55 (within the last year)
B: 40x
C: 2.5%

Though I count within expenses transferring a total $60k/ year to my children so there is significant “cushion” to work with if needed
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Squirrel208 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:10 pm 1. Retired earlier this year at 56 years old.
2. Portfolio: Initial target during accumulation years was 25X. Actual portfolio at retirement earlier this year was 30X. Future portfolio will likely be 50X after inheritance in another 15 years or so. (I'm currently managing the future inherited portfolio for my mother too.)
3. SWR VWR: Guyton-Klinger Guardrails strategy to maximize initial withdrawal rate for next 15 years until receiving inheritance and taking SS at 70. Also provides withdrawal rate contingency if inheritance is signifignatly impacted by extended bear market and/or mother needed expensive LTC for extended period.

Not sure how any of this information will be insightful or actionable for anyone else though.
Thanks. Hadn't seen that link before!
Appreciate everyone's responses. If nothing else it begins to solidify what good/safe numbers are, at certain age ranges
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:54 pm Thanks. Hadn't seen that link before!
Appreciate everyone's responses. If nothing else it begins to solidify what good/safe numbers are, at certain age ranges
Are you saying you haven't read this series on sustained withdrawal rates???
https://earlyretirementnow.com/safe-wit ... te-series/
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:54 pm Thanks. Hadn't seen that link before!
Wow. 47 part read! Thanks Livesoft 😊
I now have something other than Wade's new book to read! 😉
dkturner

Post by dkturner »

1. 67
2. 39X
3. 2.5
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

1. 61 (with pension and subsidized healthcare)
2. 34X
3. 1.9%

Getting ready to start Medicare in December.
Account balances have been increasing since retirement, so I should start spending more....
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:55 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 pm
Wow. 47 part read! Thanks Livesoft 😊
I now have something other than Wade's new book to read! 😉
Yep - the SWR series by Early Retirement Now is considered the "gold standard" for those of us looking at early retirement. Absolutely worth the read! He also created a spreadsheet (link here) to help people assess their own retirement readiness.

As for me:
  • Age: 52 or earlier (49 right now). Depends on the day :D
  • Multiplier: Currently about 30x expenses. Will likely be >50x in mid-60's, after social security and small pension from a prior job.
  • WR: 3.5% now, will likely be <2% when other income streams are unlocked (see above).
Garco

Post by Garco »

1. Retirement age: 70
2. Portfolio target: $2,000,000 in tax deferred account.
3. Not using SWR. Initially just using the RMD path, then adapting and reinvesting.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Post title is quite annoying. The last thing we need on BH are clickbait post titles. Urgency is the opposite of a BH approach.
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

1. Retired at 49 in 2012.
2. Initially targeted 33x...9 years later, we're >50x.
3. Initially targeted 3%.. 9 years later, we're <2%.

Portfolio growth has greatly outpaced our spending increases.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

I follow Mr. Larimore’ method of withdrawal. I back it up with James Otar’s luck factor.
1. We retired at 55 and 62.

2. From 2010 to 2013, we spent, on average $45,000. In 2016, we spent $33,000. In 2017, our pension and social security paid $75000. So, all our needs and then some are met. In addition, we had $1354000 at retirement. 4 years later our savings had increased to $1800000. Which according to Otar’s luck factor, we should be covered for another 20 years.

3. We don’t have a swr. We have on average a .7% withdrawal per year to pay for taxes on roth conversions.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

AlohaBill wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:56 pm I follow Mr. Larimore’ method of withdrawal. I back it up with James Otar’s luck factor.
jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm I don't use any rules on withdrawing, instead using the Taylor Larimore Method.
For those of us not familiar with "Mr. Larimore's Method" - can someone give us a primer/pointer?

Is it basically "just use common sense"? That's what I gathered from this post of jebmke: viewtopic.php?t=241773
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

I just retired this year effective 1-Feb-21 at age 61

1. 61
2. 30-35x
3. 4.0% as a guide but flexible

Thus far this year, even with One Off Lumpy Retirement Expenses ( ~$70K ish ) we are at 4.4% - I imagine next year it will be less
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Thanks for the responses. Hearty congrats to those enjoying their retirement!
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

retired@50 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:40 pm
1. 50
2. 40X
3. 2.5%

Regards,
Very similar to you.

1. 45 (13 years ago)
2. 40x (has risen since then to 84)
3. 2.5% (has fallen since then to 1.2%)
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I retired in 2018 at 60 but I have never had a defined portfolio target nor a withdrawal rate (currently not at all due to pension) because a lot of the portfolio is for unknowns such as a long term expensive health situation which probably never will happen so the bulk of the funds will go to my heirs.
Clammypollack

Post by Clammypollack »

I’m not retired but I will give you some projections. I’m 64 and figure on retiring at about age 67.
Right now I’m at about 50 times expenses.
Likely about 2%.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

SnowBog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:44 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:56 pm I follow Mr. Larimore’ method of withdrawal. I back it up with James Otar’s luck factor.
jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm I don't use any rules on withdrawing, instead using the Taylor Larimore Method.
For those of us not familiar with "Mr. Larimore's Method" - can someone give us a primer/pointer?

Is it basically "just use common sense"? That's what I gathered from this post of jebmke: viewtopic.php?t=241773
With all due respect to Taylor, his method of 'just winging it' shouldn't be admired. Taylor retired at possibly the very best time in history for retirees (i.e., the early 1980s) when the 30 year SWR was close to 10%. Bonds began their longest bull run in history, and stocks had a fantastic run from 1981-1999. Virtually any withdrawal strategy would have worked for that period. For those that need to spend less than their RMDs in retirement, which is true of a significant number of posters on this forum, winging it is perfectly fine. But for about everyone else, they need some kind of articulated plan for how they are going to use the assets that they have been accumulating for decades. Going into retirement without a plan for how much to withdraw and when will leave retirees wide open to an array of potential problems.

Investment policy statements are widely advocated on the forum and with good reason. Using the same logic, retirees should have a withdrawal policy statement. This post of Michael Kitces outlines the sort of things that a WPS should address.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Retired 1998, age 65,
Planned to take an AVERAGE of 4.5% each year from savings. (actual has been 4.58% average)
Have lived off of these savings and SS only and the savings balance has kept up quite nicely.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Age 55 married (wife also 55)

Projected expenses $120k including $15k medical premiums with ability for reducing $15-20k if needed also includes projected taxes on Roth conversions

This will drop to ~$100-$110k once we hit 62 Megacorp retiree kicks in paying 100% healthcare premium followed by Medicare at age 65

Portfolio 19-20x annual expenses

SWR 5.3% from 55-62 then ~4.5% from 62 to age 70 then 2.9% after SS kicks in at 70
Last edited by Escapevelocity on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

1. Retirement age: 65
2. Portfolio target: was 25X, we are at 28X today
3. Only retired 78 days ago and my wife is still working, so it is zero now. :wink: Not planning on using a SWR in the future. Maybe spend less when market does poorly, spend more when market does well. May consider using ABW as a guide. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Amortiz ... withdrawal
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Very helpful folks. Especially the withdrawal mechanisms. Like ABW above. Never heard of that one before!

Overall, it's great to see how folks work out what X really is and then triangulate the age, and multiple of X they want to retire at. Not an exact science, and not all in our control, however seeing all these data points gives comfort that the 'plane can land' in Dublin. (Or take one of the many roads 😉).