What is the process for a book to make it onto the Bogleheads approved reading list?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
chipperd

What is the process for a book to make it onto the Bogleheads approved reading list?

Post by chipperd »

Hello all,
I recently completed "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel and was impressed by this work on behavioral finance. I am going to be purchasing for each of my 3 kids.
I am thinking this could be a candidate for the Boglehead approved reading list.
I asked a mod the questions in the subject line, but didn't receive an answer (probably to busy) so I thought I would ask the group.
Does anyone know the process by which a book achieves official Boglehead reading list status?
Thanks in advance.
Chipperd
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
David Jay

Re: What is the process for a book to make it onto the Bogleheads approved reading list?

Post by David Jay »

The list is in the Wiki. Any wiki editor can add material.

The book is a great asset, it seems it is already listed somewhere in the Wiki, I will look around a bit.

[edit: I see the book is in “Taylor’s Gems”]
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Superleaf444

Re: What is the process for a book to make it onto the Bogleheads approved reading list?

Post by Superleaf444 »

I have no answer. But was curious is it different than “ Your Money and Your Brain”?

Lol at WSJ columnists writing about nearly the same thing.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Chipperd, I agree it should be added to the Wiki list here: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews

I will post in the Editors Lounge and if there is no issue then I will add it to the “behavioral finance” section. (I am a new editor so I am taking changes slowly).

It may be a few days.
Last edited by David Jay on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

chipperd wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:18 amI recently completed "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel and was impressed by this work on behavioral finance. I am thinking this could be a candidate for the Boglehead approved reading list.
Agreement from me. Great book and should be on the approved list (if it is not already).

Did you listen to the Podcast when Rick Ferri had Morgan on as a guest last September? Well worth it:

https://rickferri.com/podcast/episode-2 ... ick-ferri/

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Topic Author
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

David Jay wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 am Chipperd, I agree it should be added to the Wiki list here: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews

I will post in the Editors Lounge and if there is no issue then I will add it to the “behavioral finance” section. (I am a new editor so I am taking changes slowly).

It may be a few days.
Thanks David Jay!
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Topic Author
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

CyclingDuo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 am
chipperd wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:18 amI recently completed "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel and was impressed by this work on behavioral finance. I am thinking this could be a candidate for the Boglehead approved reading list.
Agreement from me. Great book and should be on the approved list (if it is not already).

Did you listen to the Podcast when Rick Ferri had Morgan on as a guest last September? Well worth it:

https://rickferri.com/podcast/episode-2 ... ick-ferri/

CyclingDuo
Thanks CyclingDuo, I will check that out when I get a chance.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Done!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Glad to see that it got resolved.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

David Jay wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:46 pmDone!
Thank you sir!
:sharebeer
dbr

Post by dbr »

I don't think there is an approved reading list. There is a list of suggested reading in the Wiki that presumably got there because posters that wanted to go to the trouble created the list. I would guess that should someone edit that list to add something that a lot of people disagreed with then there would be a flurry of posts taking exception. I don't know how that gets resolved.

I guess I am not familiar with a moderation process for the Wiki by way of which some appointed set of moderators have to approve of changes, is there?

Here is the guide: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Help:Ge ... ontributor