I'm buying VYM High Div Yield

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
JSnyder

I'm buying VYM High Div Yield

Post by JSnyder »

This is an exciting time. The market went down a little last Thursday and more on Friday. I bought VYM Friday.

Today the market is down again so I just bought some more VYM. Now not so much. 10 shares Friday and 10 shares today. About $1000 each. Not necessarily enough to move the needle, but still.

When the market goes up I log into Vanguard and nongraduate myself on my investments so far. When the market goes down I don't look at Vanguard and instead I buy VYM. My simple strategy.

VYM has a 30 day yield of 2.75% vs $0 with the money in the bank that I am using to buy it with. Corporate profits are good. I am not worried about dividend cuts. And I am willing to wait years for VYM to recover if necessary.

I do have about 27% bonds and my wife and I still work. So I do follow asset allocation somewhat. This is my fun money. If course, your situation may be different.

At least it makes for good CNBC TV...
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: I'm buying VYM High Div Yield

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

not sure why you want high yield if it's a taxable account. you're going to generate more, not less taxable events. is that part of your strategy?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am When the market goes up I log into Vanguard and nongraduate myself on my investments so far. When the market goes down I don't look at Vanguard and instead I buy VYM. My simple strategy.

VYM has a 30 day yield of 2.75% vs $0 with the money in the bank that I am using to buy it with. Corporate profits are good. I am not worried about dividend cuts. And I am willing to wait years for VYM to recover if necessary.

I do have about 27% bonds and my wife and I still work. So I do follow asset allocation somewhat. This is my fun money. If course, your situation may be different.

Why did you not feel the market was a better value and buy the last time it was below the current intraday level, and on what turned out to be its way up to its recent higher levels?
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

You bought into two common investor myths:
1. That buying the dip is more successful long-term than buy and hold.
2. That stock dividend payouts are increasing your net worth.
"Your money is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the less you’ll have." - Gene Fama
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 pm
JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am When the market goes up I log into Vanguard and nongraduate myself on my investments so far. When the market goes down I don't look at Vanguard and instead I buy VYM. My simple strategy.

Why did you not feel the market was a better value and buy the last time it was below the current intraday level, and on what turned out to be its way up to its recent higher levels?
Two reason: cash flow and psychological

1. My money goes into cash and then when the market takes a drop I invest some of it. I usually look for 1% drops. I like to think I am buying on sale.

Yes I realize this looks like market timing which both this web site and historical analysis shows is not very useful. But still.

2. Psychological. I want to believe I am doing something useful when the market goes down vs worrying about the decrease of my portfolio.

Yes I realize there are many who are simply doing periodic investments and staying the course. But that is not me...

Know thyself. This is myself.
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

burritoLover wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 pm You bought into two common investor myths:
1. That buying the dip is more successful long-term than buy and hold.
2. That stock dividend payouts are increasing your net worth.
If stock dividend payouts are not increasing your net worth, please send them my way.

Yes I am being snarky. I realize that between capital gains and dividend yields that it is often a wash. That if that dividend was kept in retained earnings that should theoretically be reflected in the stock price. That is assuming management gets a decent return on holding onto that cash or can invest it in operations paying greater a greater return than the dividend yield.

But lets not fully discount the psychological effect of a dividend yield when the market is going down. It may not do much for you, but it makes me feel better.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 pm 1. My money goes into cash and then when the market takes a drop I invest some of it. I usually look for 1% drops. I like to think I am buying on sale.

Yes I realize this looks like market timing which both this web site and historical analysis shows is not very useful. But still.

2. Psychological. I want to believe I am doing something useful when the market goes down vs worrying about the decrease of my portfolio.

Yes I realize there are many who are simply doing periodic investments and staying the course. But that is not me...
I'm not necessarily arguing with the concept of timing, but am still curious about the method. What makes the market more appealing at a certain level now that it was not appealing at in the very recent past? Are you basing your buy purely on the fact that the market has been at a higher level in the recent past?
Last edited by tibbitts on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am not sure why you want high yield if it's a taxable account. you're going to generate more, not less taxable events. is that part of your strategy?
Current tax on dividend yield is 15-20%. I would not assume that this lasts forever. At some point I suspect that dividends will be taxed at the rate of wages.

Yes I like cash, even in a taxable account. I cannot spend my capital appreciation.
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 pm
JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 pm 1. My money goes into cash and then when the market takes a drop I invest some of it. I usually look for 1% drops. I like to think I am buying on sale.

I'm not necessarily arguing with the concept of timing, but am still curious about the method. What makes the market more appealing at a certain level now that it was not appealing at in the very recent past? Are you basing your buy purely on the fact that the market has been at a higher level in the recent past?
It suspect it is more psychological then financial. I advise not to totally discount the psychological effects of both market and investment levels.

When people see their 401K flush they feel happy and buy things. Even though they may not need this money in 20 years at their retirement.

Alternatively some/many people sell in a down market due to fear.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

A better strategy, set your self up for tax loss harvesting (TLH). I buy VTSAX every pay day whether the market is up or down, unless a TLH opportunity presents itself, then I would buy VFIAX on pay day to avoid a wash sale. If a TLH opportunity is there I will exchange VTSAX for VFIAX (or vice versa) but make sure to avoid a wash sale or loss of qualified status of dividends. This is making lemonaide out of lemons.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:21 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am not sure why you want high yield if it's a taxable account. you're going to generate more, not less taxable events. is that part of your strategy?
Current tax on dividend yield is 15-20%. I would not assume that this lasts forever. At some point I suspect that dividends will be taxed at the rate of wages.

Yes I like cash, even in a taxable account. I cannot spend my capital appreciation.
I like to think that a fund like VYM (I buy SCHD) is making up for the money-market dividends that my cash was earning for me a couple of years ago. I have bills to pay, and several income sources, and SCHD dividends are taxed at the LTCG rate (and dividends from a money market are taxed as regular income), so it softens the tax hit.

Thanks for the tip. I just bought another chunk of SCHD.

I haven't done a spreadsheet on this, but I view taking dividends each year and perhaps seeing less growth as a nice diversification from funds that don't pay as much in dividends. If SCHD earns less than SCHB, I have perhaps reduced the tax bill when/if I sell the stock. It's all a bit fuzzy, isn't it? And making a spreadsheet with fuzzy data doesn't really help.
It's not like I'm earning tens of thousands of dollars a year from qualified dividends.

I view SCHD as a workhorse, and I do like to buy index funds and stocks on sale, as I am no longer contributing regularly to savings (semi-retired).

Apple is fun money.

Yes, I guarantee your post will stir the pot. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LilyFleur on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:17 pm If stock dividend payouts are not increasing your net worth, please send them my way.
Have you compared the total return (with dividends reinvested) of VYM and VTI (total stock market)?

See for example these results from Portfolio Visualizer. Blue is VYM, red is VTI.
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 pm A better strategy, set your self up for tax loss harvesting (TLH). I buy VTSAX every pay day whether the market is up or down, unless a TLH opportunity presents itself, then I would buy VFIAX on pay day to avoid a wash sale. If a TLH opportunity is there I will exchange VTSAX for VFIAX (or vice versa) but make sure to avoid a wash sale or loss of qualified status of dividends. This is making lemonaide out of lemons.
It's good to know that TLH is available if I need it. I did my own version of it last year (took the money out of an inherited IRA when the market went down) which kept the taxes lower. In taxable, it has now earned back everything it lost last year. Taxes have got to be paid sooner or later. TLH is a method to control the timing of the taxes, not eliminate them.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am This is an exciting time. The market went down a little last Thursday and more on Friday. I bought VYM Friday.

Today the market is down again so I just bought some more VYM. Now not so much. 10 shares Friday and 10 shares today. About $1000 each. Not necessarily enough to move the needle, but still.

When the market goes up I log into Vanguard and nongraduate myself on my investments so far. When the market goes down I don't look at Vanguard and instead I buy VYM. My simple strategy.

I don't think taxes on dividends from $2k of VYM are going to break the bank. You could have spent $2k on a used motorcycle which would only depreciate. And you are still working and you have bonds. Enjoy!!!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 pm
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 pm A better strategy, set your self up for tax loss harvesting (TLH). I buy VTSAX every pay day whether the market is up or down, unless a TLH opportunity presents itself, then I would buy VFIAX on pay day to avoid a wash sale. If a TLH opportunity is there I will exchange VTSAX for VFIAX (or vice versa) but make sure to avoid a wash sale or loss of qualified status of dividends. This is making lemonaide out of lemons.
It's good to know that TLH is available if I need it. I did my own version of it last year (took the money out of an inherited IRA when the market went down) which kept the taxes lower. In taxable, it has now earned back everything it lost last year. Taxes have got to be paid sooner or later. TLH is a method to control the timing of the taxes, not eliminate them.
Yes and no. I used tax losses in excess of capital gains to off set nearly $3k of ordinary income, which is taxed at a high rate for me than capital gains tax. So there was some tax arbitrage. TLH also is a way to get out of some less desirable (maybe non BH) positions in a taxable account. We used some paper losses from TLH VFIAX to VTSAX in March 2020, to sell some low cost basis individual stocks we had received as gifts to buy more VTSAX. For many people, they may also be in a lower tax bracket in retirement when they may actually need to sell something from their taxable account to live off of, versus today during their accumulation phase. Also, someone may never need to sell those particular shares in their taxable account and (under current law) can pass them to heirs upon death with a step up in basis, thus having never paid that tax. For someone who is regularly making purchases, tax loss harest opportunities will be more than someone who is retired and in drawdown mode.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:51 pm
JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am This is an exciting time. The market went down a little last Thursday and more on Friday. I bought VYM Friday.

I don't think taxes on dividends from $2k of VYM are going to break the bank. You could have spent $2k on a used motorcycle which would only depreciate. And you are still working and you have bonds. Enjoy!!!
But assuming the OP keeps adding to VYM, it will end up being a lot more than a $2k holding spitting off that 2.75% dividend yield. And depending on the OP's tax situtation, if subject to high state income tax AND NII tax, the tax drag may end up being more than expected.
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

Good strategy. I like it.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm

But assuming the OP keeps adding to VYM, it will end up being a lot more than a $2k holding spitting off that 2.75% dividend yield. And depending on the OP's tax situtation, if subject to high state income tax AND NII tax, the tax drag may end up being more than expected.
Well, you know what happens when you assume. :mrgreen:
Maybe the OP will buy Apple next time for fun. I am going to make an optimistic assumption that he will then have a good chunk of earnings in Apple to pay taxes on--when he chooses to, as Apple's dividends are very small. It is a good idea to have flexibility on timing your taxes, it's true.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Well, you know what happens when you assume. :mrgreen:
Maybe the OP will buy Apple next time for fun. I am going to make an optimistic assumption that he will then have a good chunk of earnings in Apple to pay taxes on--when he chooses to, as Apple's dividends are very small. It is a good idea to have flexibility on timing your taxes, it's true.
The point of BH style TLH is to exchange 1 index fund for another similar but not substantially identical index fund. In which case you have a similar exposure yet get to book the paper loss. This was very effective in March 2020, since the market recovered much faster than 31 days, so staying out of the market after a sale for 31 days would have cause one to miss out on much of the recovery. While there is no universally accepted consensus of what is not substantially identical, I am of the position that an S&P500 index fund (VFIAX/VOO) and a Total Stock Market index fund (VTSAX/VTI) are not substantially identical, especially since their holdings overlap is less than 85%. They are good tax loss harvest partners because long term they have a very similar return, yet short term may not (for example there was a 2% divergance for 2020), which helps strengthen the argument that ones economic position has changed enough by exchanging a Total Stock Market index for an S&P500 index to avoid a wash sale.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

22twain wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:44 pm
JSnyder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:17 pm If stock dividend payouts are not increasing your net worth, please send them my way.
Have you compared the total return (with dividends reinvested) of VYM and VTI (total stock market)?

See for example these results from Portfolio Visualizer. Blue is VYM, red is VTI.
But as you know, VYM is a large value ETF and value has been clobbered by growth for more than 10 years. If there is some regression to mean, this gap could close somewhat.

I totally understand the distaste for spending principal and therefore own some VYM myself. It is just a small portion of my portfolio though.

Actually the S&P does a pretty good job of dividend growth although it starts from a lower base.

Why not own some of both?
Topic Author
JSnyder

Post by JSnyder »

Carol88888 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:46 am

But as you know, VYM is a large value ETF and value has been clobbered by growth for more than 10 years. If there is some regression to mean, this gap could close somewhat.

I totally understand the distaste for spending principal and therefore own some VYM myself. It is just a small portion of my portfolio though.

Actually the S&P does a pretty good job of dividend growth although it starts from a lower base.

I am using VYM in two accounts.

The first is for my 24 year old son. He is also putting 10% into his 401K which is all S&P 500. I tell him if he does this for the rest of his life he will be rich and/or able to retire early (YMMV). He periodically 'gives' me excess from his bank account to invest for him.

He lives in an apartment with a roommate, drives a car I bought for him years ago, is pretty frugal, and is still on my medical and dental insurance. He has excess cash. It is nice to be in his situation.

The second is for my 85 year old mother. She also owns some bonds and individual stocks. I put her proceeds into VYM. She will probably not outlive the next market downturn.

I would agree over the long term the S&P 500 is more tax efficient. I also like the idea of using tax loss harvesting for the S&P 500. But I think that makes more sense if you are investing periodically for example into a taxable account from a salary that does not change very much.

If you have periodic lump sums I am not sure TLH is as advantageous if the rest of your money is sitting in a money market account. Also is you are investing 10% into a 401K you might have less excess cash and the tax advantages of that might be better than TLH in a taxable account.
reln

Post by reln »

Sell your bonds and buy VYM.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I think you are on the wrong message board unless you are trolling for an argument to get into.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

JSnyder wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 am
Carol88888 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:46 am

I am using VYM in two accounts.

The first is for my 24 year old son. He is also putting 10% into his 401K which is all S&P 500. I tell him if he does this for the rest of his life he will be rich and/or able to retire early (YMMV). He periodically 'gives' me excess from his bank account to invest for him.

He lives in an apartment with a roommate, drives a car I bought for him years ago, is pretty frugal, and is still on my medical and dental insurance. He has excess cash. It is nice to be in his situation.

The second is for my 85 year old mother. She also owns some bonds and individual stocks. I put her proceeds into VYM. She will probably not outlive the next market downturn.

I would agree over the long term the S&P 500 is more tax efficient. I also like the idea of using tax loss harvesting for the S&P 500. But I think that makes more sense if you are investing periodically for example into a taxable account from a salary that does not change very much.

If you have periodic lump sums I am not sure TLH is as advantageous if the rest of your money is sitting in a money market account. Also is you are investing 10% into a 401K you might have less excess cash and the tax advantages of that might be better than TLH in a taxable account.
Are you buying VYM in a taxable account for your son?
birdog

Post by birdog »

Go go Portfolio Visualizer and compare VYM with VTI. And remember that the 2% CAGR under-performance of VYM is even before taxes are accounted for.