What website gives the most accurate charts in real time?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
GuitarInnovations

What website gives the most accurate charts in real time?

Post by GuitarInnovations »

As I've been flipping through various sites to see stock prices, I've noticed there is sometimes a discrepancy between them. Just curious if there is a website that is know for its excellent, accurate, up to the moment charts.
livesoft

Re: What website gives the most accurate charts in real time?

Post by livesoft »

thinkorswim
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MicahMakenzie

Post by MicahMakenzie »

TradingView and Google finance, i think. They are good to me.
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life."-Omar Khayyam | marketing manager | http://www.worktime.com/
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

GuitarInnovations wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 am As I've been flipping through various sites to see stock prices, I've noticed there is sometimes a discrepancy between them. Just curious if there is a website that is know for its excellent, accurate, up to the moment charts.
Why are you looking at stock prices? Buying individual stocks?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

Tradingview is really good for being free
Topic Author
GuitarInnovations

pkcrafter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 pm
GuitarInnovations wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 am As I've been flipping through various sites to see stock prices, I've noticed there is sometimes a discrepancy between them. Just curious if there is a website that is know for its excellent, accurate, up to the moment charts.
Why are you looking at stock prices? Buying individual stocks?

Paul
Why do you ask?
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

From my experience, the best real time data for retail users comes from trading platforms (for instance ThinkOrSwim mentioned above), since users need this for trading. Also, some of them provide APIs that you can use to import live data to your Python code or Excel or whatever.

Real time charts require live data subscriptions. Free websites usually don't want to pay for licenses or bandwidth to give this to mass users. Even the ones that appear to be live are usually delayed. It also depends on what sort of security you are looking at - stocks, index, futures, etc... - since they are calculated and disseminated by different exchanges or calculation agents.
Topic Author
GuitarInnovations

hi_there wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:06 pm From my experience, the best real time data for retail users comes from trading platforms (for instance ThinkOrSwim mentioned above), since users need this for trading. Also, some of them provide APIs that you can use to import live data to your Python code or Excel or whatever.

Real time charts require live data subscriptions. Free websites usually don't want to pay for licenses or bandwidth to give this to mass users. Even the ones that appear to be live are usually delayed. It also depends on what sort of security you are looking at - stocks, index, futures, etc... - since they are calculated and disseminated by different exchanges or calculation agents.
These are very good observations. I think you may be correct.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Etrade: EtradePro Nice !!! (EtradePro platform is Free with Acct > ~$220K else an addition Mthy chrg)
Real Nice! Above is a Snip, Note: this is just 1 of the tabs on the bottom - This is "Market" tab.

I keep my Market tab in 2 basic panels, left and right.
The right panel is a classic 1 Min/Today chart, minute candlesticks/indicators are dynamic in realtime!

The left panel has 3 tools in it, Market Depth, Linked WatchList and OrderStatus.
Market Depth(nice): Exchange Level Bid/Ask Queue by price + TimeStamped ExecutionLog - All RealTime!
Linked WatchList: Std WatchList - updating in realtime!
OrderStatus: - All your order statuses
-- Sometimes I keep a Positions and Holdings Tool in the Watchlist position - keepin my realtime values
**** EtradePro dances very nicely in Action - I keep an etrade acct just for EtradePro (the Big $SSS in Vanguard)

Etrade/EtradePro is the staging acct(ProofOfWorthyness) for the Three Fund Porfolios in Vanguard, as the Etrade Acct grows larger than a half Mil (exceedin SIP) some $$$ are promoted/allocated to various Vanguard accts.
Just KeepingItSimpleStupid with great records and audit control.

I have a lotta friends that use other Brokers/Sites/Platforms as mentioned. Other than the Hi$$ ProTrader platform brokers( like tradestation, Interactivebroker), I find EtradePro spanks most all others, especially as its "Free" with a relatively small acct bal. (including StinkOrSwim - just dont see whats so good about it, not a good UI for me)
I Like EtradePro, a nice MoneyMakin investment tool (for essentially Free)-

So OK, Lets See some snips(pics) from the site/platforms other BH'ers are using.
Pics Please, especially from those who think they have a better investment mgmt platform than EtradePro...
(or maybe someone can show me what makes StinkOrSwim even worth mentioning)

EditAdd: No Subscription Necessary for EtradePro - just a privilege of a reasonably sized portfolio.
And this quick pic is just oneathe EtradePro Tabs - and all with a great, intuitive UI and user/custom API's.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I've always used Bigcharts, does have a small learning curve.
Regards | Bob