Vanguard 529 shows incorrect performance data

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
shariron

Vanguard 529 shows incorrect performance data

Post by shariron »

You may notice wildly incorrect amounts listed in the "Personal Performance" section for your Vanguard (Nevada)529 on Vanguard's website.
Received the following response:

Thank you for your e-mail about the difficulty you're experiencing.

An issue has been identified where Personal Performance for clients with
529 accounts is showing inaccurately after the recent migration from Age
Based funds to Target Enrollment funds

Our support team is currently working on this systems issue, but we don't
yet know when it will be resolved. I'd like to apologize for the
inconvenience and reassure you that we're working hard to make sure we can
provide the type of service you expect.

If you have additional questions, we are happy to assist. Please contact us
at 877-662-7447. Our representatives are available business days 8 a.m. to
8 p.m., Eastern time.
Plan4tomorrow

Re: Vanguard 529 shows incorrect performance data

Post by Plan4tomorrow »

I noticed this as well. I never had any issues up until about three weeks ago. On the performance tab the total investment/balance number does not seem to take 529 balances into consideration. The percent return no longer calculates. I’ve called a few times to open a repair ticket and check on the status but it seems like the issue is stuck in no mans land.

I think it bothers me because in a business where basis points matter the fact that vanguard can’t figure this out just rubs me the wrong way.

To be fair, since I’ve been a customer this has been my only issue with the website.
mgk2010

Vanguard - Personal Performance Calculation is showing incorrect values

Post by mgk2010 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi

In the last month or saw I have noticed that there is a huge discrepancy between the numbers on my Vanguard account's

a. Account overview page
b. Cost basis page

and

c. Personal performance page

'a', 'b' are correct, but Personal performance calculations have dramatically fallen. In fact it is close to 0 i.e. ignores all the gains since inception.

Initially I thought it might be some kind of VG website calculation or refresh issue. But these Personal Perf numbers have not changed. I have not made any transactions or rebalances in the last 3 mos. I have written to VG about it. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
L82GAME

Re: Vanguard - Personal Performance Calculation is showing incorrect values

Post by L82GAME »

mgk2010 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:41 pm Hi

In the last month or saw I have noticed that there is a huge discrepancy between the numbers on my Vanguard account's

a. Account overview page
b. Cost basis page

and

c. Personal performance page

'a', 'b' are correct, but Personal performance calculations have dramatically fallen. In fact it is close to 0 i.e. ignores all the gains since inception.

Initially I thought it might be some kind of VG website calculation or refresh issue. But these Personal Perf numbers have not changed. I have not made any transactions or rebalances in the last 3 mos. I have written to VG about it. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
I checked these stats earlier this morning and saw no issues with my accounts.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
waterwell

Post by waterwell »

I have the same issue. Assumed it was a glitch that would eventually be fixed.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Are you aware of the "View" pull down box in the lower right part of the personal performance screen? This is where you select the time window. 10 years is the max. "From inception" is not an option. Does this help explain what you are seeing?
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

MtnBiker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:54 pm Are you aware of the "View" pull down box in the lower right part of the personal performance screen? This is where you select the time window. 10 years is the max. "From inception" is not an option. Does this help explain what you are seeing?
Yeah, i have tried YTD and custom range for the last 6 mos, they also show a giant drop in market gain/loss calculation in the last month.
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

waterwell wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:53 pm I have the same issue. Assumed it was a glitch that would eventually be fixed.
I emailed them. Will share what i find
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I know portfolio watch is worthless. Several years ago they started characterizing my fidelity holdings as unknown. I assume they are doing this out of some childish spite because I have money with their competition. I contacted them but without any help received.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

bengal22 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:03 pm I know portfolio watch is worthless. Several years ago they started characterizing my fidelity holdings as unknown. I assume they are doing this out of some childish spite because I have money with their competition. I contacted them but without any help received.
Thanks about the email response expectation. I guess I will call them if I do not hear anything. All my funds are VG MFs, so this situation about competitive funds does not apply
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

bengal22 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:03 pm I know portfolio watch is worthless. Several years ago they started characterizing my fidelity holdings as unknown. I assume they are doing this out of some childish spite because I have money with their competition. I contacted them but without any help received.
FWIW, my Fidelity holdings ($1.31 for the Zero Total Stock Market, $1.15 for the Zero Total International Stock Market, and $.01 for the Fidelity MM fund) are all accounted for in my Portfolio Watch.

My Portfolio Watch accounts for all our Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs, our holdings in our Vanguard VA, my holdings at Fidelity, and our Series I Savings Bonds.

Maybe I have the Fidelity info accounted for because they are index funds, who knows.

At any rate, we have no investments that are not accounted for in my Portfolio Watch.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

I just rechecked:

The portfolio watch numbers are also correct in my account.

It is just the personal performance number that have fallen off
RCL

Post by RCL »

From the VG site:
What assets are included. Your personal rate of return includes Vanguard® mutual fund accounts, Vanguard Brokerage Services® accounts, annuities and 529s, and assets from employer-sponsored retirement plans. These accounts will be included in your "total assets." These figures don't include trust services accounts, holdings purchased through companies other than Vanguard (outside investments), or assets from defined benefit plans.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

mgk2010 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:17 pm I just rechecked:

Are you aware that the performance numbers are not updated daily?
They are current as of the end of the previous month; i.e., 10/31.
Topic Author
shariron

Post by shariron »

For those experiencing this issue, do you have Vanguard 529 holdings? If so, per Vanguard response to my inquiry below:

8 p.m., Eastern time.
Topic Author
shariron

Post by shariron »

Agreed, this does not inspire confidence. What other numbers are they "showing inaccurately" that just hasn't been noticed?
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I would be more concerned if the number of shares didn’t match my records.
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

House Blend wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:34 pm
mgk2010 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:17 pm I just rechecked:

Are you aware that the performance numbers are not updated daily?
They are current as of the end of the previous month; i.e., 10/31.
Thanks. I did not know that. I will check again in the 1st week of Dec
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

shariron wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:10 pm For those experiencing this issue, do you have Vanguard 529 holdings? If so, per Vanguard response to my inquiry below:

8 p.m., Eastern time.
I do have 529s. I just checked, and yes the personal performance number for 529 account is a huge negative number!! where as my taxable personal performance is correct.

Thanks for this info. Hopefully it is the same issue.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged mgk2010's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post. One of the reasons is "Duplicate thread". Supplying a link to the original is helpful, thanks.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:26 am I merged mgk2010's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post. One of the reasons is "Duplicate thread". Supplying a link to the original is helpful, thanks.)
Thanks for merge this response, and also to the poster with the issue response from VG. Much appreciated.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Same issue. Basically 2 age based portfolio merged in one and they lost one :( Nobody testing anything today. This one is display issue but who knows, next time money can really disappear. In this case will you like response "we don't yet know when it will be resolved" ? :(
informal guide

Post by informal guide »

RCL wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:20 pm From the VG site:
What assets are included. Your personal rate of return includes Vanguard® mutual fund accounts, Vanguard Brokerage Services® accounts, annuities and 529s, and assets from employer-sponsored retirement plans. These accounts will be included in your "total assets." These figures don't include trust services accounts, holdings purchased through companies other than Vanguard (outside investments), or assets from defined benefit plans.
My guess is that within the next couple weeks, when Vanguard annuity servicing and reporting migrates to Transamerica, that they will then be excluded from personal rate of return calculations. Given Vanguard's rather relaxed focus on rates of return and portfolio watch, I would encourage those of us with annuities at Vanguard to check how they are being handled.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

informal guide wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:10 pm
RCL wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:20 pm From the VG site:
My guess is that within the next couple weeks, when Vanguard annuity servicing and reporting migrates to Transamerica, that they will then be excluded from personal rate of return calculations. Given Vanguard's rather relaxed focus on rates of return and portfolio watch, I would encourage those of us with annuities at Vanguard to check how they are being handled.
I'm hoping that Vanguard can pull in the info real-time for annities via Yodlee. If not, I'll just add it under the same tab I use for my savings bonds and update periodically.

Having only index funds/ETFs for the most part, I really don't look at personal rate of return. I understand there are those who desire to see it, though. Since I have mostly index funds/ETFs there are other tools I can see if I cared. It is extremely easy to check your return on an index fund/ETF. One should be able to see if their index funds stray, though I don't think that is much of a worry at Vanguard. I've never seen any evidence of Vanguard funds/ETFs straying.

One nice thing about index funds, no, worries.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
shariron

Post by shariron »

I don't see how I can be confident in any of the numbers presented in the website. If they had a glitch and fixed it fast- ok. If they notified the users of an issue- ok. Instead, it took an hour and three different reps before they acknowledged the issue. After explaining in detail what I was seeing, their reps recommended I speak to an "investment professional" to help me understand why my 529's performance hadn't met my expectations!
While this issue just relates to performance data, what if next time it is balance or cost basis?
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:53 pm ,
FWIW, my Fidelity holdings ($1.31 for the Zero Total Stock Market, $1.15 for the Zero Total International Stock Market, and $.01 for the Fidelity MM fund) are all accounted for in my Portfolio Watch.

My Portfolio Watch accounts for all our Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs, our holdings in our Vanguard VA, my holdings at Fidelity, and our Series I Savings Bonds.

Maybe I have the Fidelity info accounted for because they are index funds, who knows.

At any rate, we have no investments that are not accounted for in my Portfolio Watch.

Broken Man 1999
I have fidelity total stock, international, total bond and portfolio watch counts them as "other" so I can't get an AA unless I go to portfolio tester and replace with a similar vanguard funds.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

shariron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:47 pm I don't see how I can be confident in any of the numbers presented in the website. If they had a glitch and fixed it fast- ok. If they notified the users of an issue- ok. Instead, it took an hour and three different reps before they acknowledged the issue. After explaining in detail what I was seeing, their reps recommended I speak to an "investment professional" to help me understand why my 529's performance hadn't met my expectations!
While this issue just relates to performance data, what if next time it is balance or cost basis?
This is so scary. I wrote to VG and am still waiting to hear back.

For the issue about any future balance or cost basis discrepancy - what do all the forum users do to keep a log of all VG statements? I have been so far downloading electronic statements once a year in Dec. Perhaps I should change it to monthly?
mgk2010

Post by mgk2010 »

My personal performance numbers show correctly now, although I did not get an email resp back from VG support
Plan4tomorrow

Post by Plan4tomorrow »

I posted earlier in this thread because I also had issues. Instead of calling vanguard again I sent them a message from my online account. They responded the next day and made the necessary adjustment. Now the individual account balances on the main landing page match the account balances on the personal performance page.

Calling to report the issue a few weeks ago was a waste of time. For those still experiencing issues try sending message once logged in.
Haledom

Post by Haledom »

I had the same issue, it corrected itself without me having to contact anyone. I assume that enough people made noise and Vanguard found the fix for whatever bug in their system was causing the error.