Are you a Boglehead?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
PackersFan12

Are you a Boglehead?

Post by PackersFan12 »

Are you? Why or why not?
whodidntante

Re: Are you a Boglehead?

Post by whodidntante »

I think so, but it depends on who's defining it. Jack Bogle himself didn't meet the criteria that some ascribe to Bogleheadism.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Probably. That said, I was LBYM investor in low cost domestic equity index funds for over 20 years before I found this forum. 8-)

During that time, I was 100% equities, which would likely disqualify me for "Bogelhead" good standing status. :P
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

FIREchief wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm Probably. That said, I was LBYM investor in low cost domestic equity index funds for over 20 years before I found this forum. 8-)

During that time, I was 100% equities, which would likely disqualify me for "Bogelhead" good standing status. :P
Lots of Bogleheads are 100% equities with their investable assets through the accumulation phase. Nothing wrong with that- in fact, if you can handle the big swings that’s the best way to get through the early years of building wealth since it’s dollar cost averaging earned income over two or three decades.

I think I’m a Boglehead, but I don’t do everything “by the Boglehead book” since for example I have a big part of my bond allocation in our joint brokerage account, and it’s BND, not munis. Bogleheads would say to use up all of the space In tax deferred accounts first, but my wife and I sleep better at night knowing we aren’t 100% equities with the money we’ll use as the bridge to SS and RMDs.
Last edited by Wanderingwheelz on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nope. I don't have a $5,000 watch, don't drive a Prius, Tesla, nor Camry nor Accord, and love to do market timing with my investments.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm
FIREchief wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm Probably. That said, I was LBYM investor in low cost domestic equity index funds for over 20 years before I found this forum. 8-)

Lots of Bogleheads are 100% equities with their investable assets through the accumulation phase. Nothing wrong with that- in fact, if you can handle the big swings that’s the best way to get through the early years of building wealth since it’s dollar cost averaging earned income over two or three decades.
Yeah, but are we/they in "good standing?" :P
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

I am in the sense that I have a reasonably high savings rate, believe in low cost index funds, and have two Hondas that I’ve had for awhile. But I’m 100 percent equities and live in a 1.5 M plus home. And I don’t pay off low cost debt early.

And I have three kids and spend a lot on their activities and interests. And I have 0 in 529s. Instead of 529s I’d rather invest in side businesses, real estate, etc.
Last edited by Firemenot on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanderingwheelz

FIREchief wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Definitely. I think most of us here understand that the equities you accumulate when you’re young are the ones that’s make the magic happen.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

FIREchief wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:40 pm

As with most things, there will always be self-appointed arbiters of "True Bogleheadism" but I don't lose any sleep over what some random interwebs commenter thinks about me. :beer
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I would say yes. What that means to me is I believe in having a rational investment plan and sticking to it. That means passive investing through diversified low cost index funds and staying the course rather than timing the market. Above all, I believe I can save more in fees by doing it myself than I stand to gain from paying a professional.
Candor

Post by Candor »

I would say that for the most part I am a Boglehead. I have done a little market timing around the edges this year with approximately 10% of my portfolio and I have approx 3% in bonds and the rest of my FI in CD's and a stable value fund which I suppose is not considered very Bogleheadlike. I do have a $5000 watch that I bought before my more frugal Boglehead conversion which is now worth $10,000 so I don't feel too guilty about that.
Last edited by Candor on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I define Bogleheads as two parts:

Live below your means and generally invest in low cost index funds. I do both of those things so I qualify based on my definition.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

One of my taxables and 401k are doing Boglehead-style investing (80/20 and 100/0). I have another taxable doing more risky stuff, that's no Boglehead.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Not sure, since I don't know the exact definition.

I'm a fan of Jack Bogle and low cost index funds so I guess that counts for something. I also have been a huge saver most of my life and live below my means.

I do own a bunch of individual stocks, however. So that may disqualify me.

I love this forum so I hope I don't get kicked out :D .
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I am not because been investing before bogleheads. I am also like livesoft another market timer. I have followed live below my means, hence part of the two comma club.

:moneybag
midareff

Post by midareff »

I'm not because I simply refuse to drink all the coolaid.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

PackersFan12 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm Are you? Why or why not?
I would probably be classified as a Boglehead. I live below my means. I invest in world market cap equities via index funds. I do hold some low risk bonds/cash. I don't market time.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Yes, I follow all the main Boglehead philosophies:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy
yules

Post by yules »

Since you are asking the question, you should define your terms before asking people to answer.

And then you have to explain why people’s answer to this question matters to you.

Yules
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

yules wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Since you are asking the question, you should define your terms before asking people to answer.

And then you have to explain why people’s answer to this question matters to you.

Yules
Disagree. OP was fine. I take the post as probing what it means to be a Boglehead philosophically.

Post by 000 »

I believe costs matter, so yes I am a boglehead.

However, I may not be a Boglehead® because I am OK with active management techniques like market timing and security selection, I think precious metals are a valid asset class, and I don't think stonks always go up.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

000 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 pm... and I don't think stonks always go up.
Indeed, stonks are about something coming down.
bawr

Post by bawr »

I am not a Boglehead.

I am what Benjamin Graham would call an "enterprising investor". Over the past two decades, my portfolio has beaten market indices by a very wide margin. This has been achieved by holding on to good picks for years and years ("letting your profits run").

I do have less than 0.1% of my assets invested in a Bogleheadish manner, in the form of a Schwab robo-advisor account (94% stocks, 6% cash). This has been my worst performing account.

Post by 000 »

livesoft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm
000 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 pm... and I don't think stonks always go up.
Indeed, stonks are about something coming down.
What comes down must have gone up :twisted:
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 pm Yes, I follow all the main Boglehead philosophies:
Me too.

Am I 100% Boglehead? No. I’d say about 99% Boglehead.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters (Community) forum (Boglehead).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I used to call myself Boglehead-lite because I was under the mistaken impression that in addition to simple index investing I was supposed to make "interesting moves" with my money. Then I read more and joined this forum. Now I'm just a plain Boglehead. Not a purist, though.
yules

Post by yules »

Firemenot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Yules
Disagree. OP was fine. I take the post as probing what it means to be a Boglehead philosophically.
That’s a misreading of the initial post. If OP wanted to know what is means to be a Boglehead philosophically, which would be an interesting conversation, then OP should simply ask “What does being a Boglehead mean to you?”

Instead, the question doesn’t even ask respondents to define what it means to be a Boglehead, just why or why not someone made the decision. Most of these responses (not criticizing the responses, which are appropriate for the question as asked) say yes because X or no because Y, but this is just cherry picking presumed partial definitions of Bogleheadism rather than speaking to the larger philosophical question that you attribute to OP’s intent.

Yules
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't care if I'm a boglehead or not. I'm a buy and hold investor in broad market index funds, so that must count for something. I also live below my means. However, I follow neither the advice given on this forum promoting small caps, value, emerging markets, TIPS, I Bonds, certificates of deposit, long bonds, and precious metals nor the advice to avoid corporate bonds, Fidelity, and Schwab. I have never had a Vanguard "mutual funds account," and I think that means I don't have deep roots in the boglehead movement.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

livesoft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 pm Nope. I don't have a $5,000 watch, don't drive a Prius, Tesla, nor Camry nor Accord, and love to do market timing with my investments.
So what do you drive? Inquiring minds want to know? :twisted:

Also, I did not realize that driving an Accord counted as a Boglehead attribute. I do drive an Accord but prefer walking (when feasible) and before the Pandemic I tried to use public transit whenever possible, for reasons of sustainability and community building.

No $5,000 watch for me either, but zero interest in market timing.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am kind of like the Boglehead’s drunk uncle:

https://snl.fandom.com/wiki/Drunk_Uncle
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

dodecahedron wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pmSo what do you drive? Inquiring minds want to know? :twisted:
I drove a Lexus, then another Lexus for years. My current vehicle is a Subaru Outback. Earlier cars include a Camry and a Civic.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

:!:
yules wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Yules
That’s a misreading of the initial post. If OP wanted to know what is means to be a Boglehead philosophically, which would be an interesting conversation, then OP should simply ask “What does being a Boglehead mean to you?”

Instead, the question doesn’t even ask respondents to define what it means to be a Boglehead, just why or why not someone made the decision. Most of these responses (not criticizing the responses, which are appropriate for the question as asked) say yes because X or no because Y, but this is just cherry picking presumed partial definitions of Bogleheadism rather than speaking to the larger philosophical question that you attribute to OP’s intent.

Yules
Interesting how people interpret things so differently. I’m unpersuaded but respect your view.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I am not one of anything. I borrow bits and pieces from everywhere to create my own way of doing things.

In reality, my wife and I are way too frugal to be a boglehead.haha
Last edited by runner3081 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander

Post by wander »

Since I am a member here, I am kind of leaning to Bogleheads.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Yes. My personal definition of a boglehead is someone who follows Jack Bogle's investment philosophy. This means putting most of your investments into broad-based, passive, low-cost index funds rather than individual securities or actively managed funds, and avoid market timing.
Last edited by oldfort on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderingwheelz

livesoft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 pm Nope. I don't have a $5,000 watch, don't drive a Prius, Tesla, nor Camry nor Accord, and love to do market timing with my investments.
What’s the market timing play for Monday?
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

Unfortunately, I am not a Boglehead. I do not drive the standard issue Corolla, and I wear a $5,000 watch. :(
Wanderingwheelz

bawr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:44 pm I am not a Boglehead.

I am what Benjamin Graham would call an "enterprising investor". Over the past two decades, my portfolio has beaten market indices by a very wide margin. This has been achieved by holding on to good picks for years and years ("letting your profits run").

I do have less than 0.1% of my assets invested in a Bogleheadish manner, in the form of a Schwab robo-advisor account (94% stocks, 6% cash). This has been my worst performing account.
It’s because of the 6% cash drag, obviously.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I am a registered member of Bogleheads.org
I assume that makes me a Boglehead .

The moderators on this site keep it from devolving like other sites, for which I am quite grateful. There are numerous very intelligent members who freely share their experience.

I had figured out that on average, you can't beat the average long ago, and so all you could do was keep costs low.

That sounds pretty much like the same philosophy that Jack Bogle espoused.
Last edited by MathWizard on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

jumppilot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:18 pm Unfortunately, I am not a Boglehead. I do not drive the standard issue Corolla, and I wear a $5,000 watch. :(
Isn't there a watch thread. I thought a $5,000 watch was required to be a forum member in good standing.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:17 pm
What’s the market timing play for Monday?
The play is: Sit back and watch. One should have already rebalanced from equities to bonds to get back to one's nominal asset allocation earlier this week
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

In some ways, yes, in other ways, no.

- We hold index mutual funds and index ETFs, except for some individual stocks.
- I have dabbled in individual stocks, but never up to the 5% amount Mr. Bogle opined would be OK. 5% was a way too large $$$ amount for me.
- We did/do not live below our means, we have lived at our means, which was AFTER we paid ourselves first. We have lived from paycheck to paycheck for decades.
-We stopped driving econoboxes after we could afford to buy comfortable, mid-size sedans/vans. We have never owned a Camry, Corolla, or any Honda vehicle. We financed some vehicles, but generally paid them off rapidly. Not sure if that is a Boglehead requirement, anyway.
- We have held sector investments, like REITS and Healthcare ETFs, but no longer. I rid us of them in a simplification effort of our portfolio
- I often market time rebalance if it makes sense for me to do so.
- I have purchased two $5000 watches for others.
- I have no written IPS, but our portfolio is so simple writing anything down would be a waste of my time.

So, who knows? I'm very comfortable in our investment style for our retirement portfolio. After all, WE are the ones living it. What others think about it matters not much to me.

whodidntante wrote: I think so, but it depends on who's defining it. Jack Bogle himself didn't meet the criteria that some ascribe to Bogleheadism.

Indeed! Mr Bogle was not nearly as doctrinaire as he was/is often portrayed here. It is disappointing to see posters attribute to Mr. Bogle what they THINK he said. It is really a shame when so much of Mr Bogle's thoughts are available to review in multiple medias, but unexamined by so many. A case of intellectual laziness, IMHO.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
yules

Post by yules »

Firemenot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 pm :!:
yules wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Yules

Yules
Interesting how people interpret things so differently. I’m unpersuaded but respect your view.
Yep, I think that’s the beauty of this board, and the fact that different interpretations can yield different responses, there’s usually something for everyone!

Have a great day, Firemenit :beer

Yules
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 pm Yes, I follow all the main Boglehead philosophies:
There isn’t any better philosophy out there for the DIY investor.

I am optimistic about markets long-term, 100% equities, fire inclined, and a millennial... and I am a boglehead
VTSAX and chill
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Ive read several articles and a book or two and watched several interviews. I invest in 2 funds through Vanguard (Sp500 and total bonds). I rest easily thinking that this will put me far ahead most with actively managed funds especially looking beyond 10 years. I often think of some of his quotes especially when I hear the “experts”. I suppose people equate low cost funds to low cost beat down transportation? I like nice vehicles but I pay cash. Haven’t the slightest desire for any kind of watch. Anyhow, I suppose I lean the way of a Boglehead.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Nah. I just hang around here to pick up girls. 🤓

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

WildBill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm Nah. I just hang around here to pick up girls. 🤓

W B
Mic drop, time to end it here, we have a winner.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

We haven't defined Boglehead here, but to me, being a Boglehead is about knowing yourself so that managing your money can be done in a way that is right for you. So, am I a Boglehead? After 30-plus years of low-cost indexing with the usual slip-ups here and there, I'd say yes.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

I think I'm 82.275% Boglehead.