"Bogleheads on Investing" podcast hits 500,000 downloads!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

"Bogleheads on Investing" podcast hits 500,000 downloads!

Post by Rick Ferri »

The Bogleheads on Investing podcast hit a new milestone this week with over 500,000 audio downloads since inception. The podcast series began in September 2018 with our mentor, Jack Bogle, as the inaugural guest, and I have published one podcast per month since.

Here are links to all published episodes to date in chronological order:

Sep. 2018: Episode 1 - John Bogle
Oct. 2018: Episode 2 - David Blitzer
Nov. 2018: Episode 3 - Jonathan Clements
Dec. 2018: Episode 4 - Cristine Benz
Jan. 2019: Episode 5 - Gus Sauter
Feb. 2019: Episode 6 - Dan Egan
Mar. 2019: Episode 7 - Mike Piper
Apr. 2019: Episode 8 - Allan Roth
May 2019: Episode 9 - Wes Gray
Jun. 2019: Episode 10 - Debbie Fuhr and Robin Powell
Jul. 2019: Episode 11 - Mel Lindauer
Aug. 2019: Episode 12 - Larry Swedroe
Sep. 2019: Episode 13 - Bill Bernstein
Oct. 2019: Episode 14 - Chris Mamula
Nov. 2019: Episode 15 - Eric Balchunas
Dec. 2019: Episode 16 - Sheryl Garrett
Jan. 2020: Episode 17 - Joe Davis
Feb. 2020: Episode 18 - Paul Merriman
Mar. 2020: Episode 19 - Jim Dahle
Apr. 2020: Episode 20 - Jeff Levine
May 2020: Episode 21 - Larry Siegel
Jun. 2020: Episode 22 - Ed Yardeni
Jul. 2020: Episode 23 - Burton Malkiel
Aug. 2020: Episode 24 - Wade Pfau
Sep. 2020: Episode 25 - Don Phillips
Oct. 2020: Episode 26 - Morgan Housel
Nov. 2020: Episode 27 - Cliff Asness

Our next guest will be Roger Lowenstein, an award-winning journalist and author of several highly acclaimed books including Buffett, When Genius Failed, Origins of the Crash, While America Aged, and The End of Wall Street.

These podcasts are brought to you by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501c3 organization, created in 2012 by the founders of the Bogleheads organization with the assistance of Jack Bogle. The Center’s mission is to further financial education worldwide, promote low fees and financial well-being, and to foster a sense of community among our all-volunteer membership. Your tax-deductible contributions to this cause are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for listening!

Rick Ferri
Your Host
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
garlandwhizzer

Re: "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast hits 500,000 downloads!

Post by garlandwhizzer »

What a distinguished list of podcast guests! What a great resource for investors to learn from the greatest experts! Thanks, Rick, for providing this great resource for us.

Garland Whizzer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

Just look at that list! It is an action packed “who’s who” of the investment world.

Rick, I would like to say “thank you” for your tireless efforts to bring quality education and information to the forum. You sir are keeping Jack Bogle’s message alive and well.

One request if possible: please see if you could secure David Swensen for a podcast! I know from the books (forwards to books) and interviews that Jack Bogle and David Swensen had a nice friendship and respected each other. That would be a knock out interview.

Press on!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm Please see if you could secure David Swensen for a podcast! I know from the books (forwards to books) and interviews that Jack Bogle and David Swensen had a nice friendship and respected each other. That would be a knock out interview.
Mr. Swensen and I have corresponded and he would have loved to do a podcast if able. Unfortunately, for legal and compliance reasons, he had to pass. This is often the case for people in the investment management industry.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:38 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm Please see if you could secure David Swensen for a podcast! I know from the books (forwards to books) and interviews that Jack Bogle and David Swensen had a nice friendship and respected each other. That would be a knock out interview.
Mr. Swensen and I have corresponded and he would have loved to do a podcast if able. Unfortunately, for legal and compliance reasons, he had to pass. This is often the case for people in the investment management industry.

Rick Ferri
Hi Rick -

Thanks for the update. That stinks but oh well!

I appreciate all your efforts and quality of education that you provide!

Best.
Tony
Cox3497

Post by Cox3497 »

Hey Rick,

I don't post all that often as I'm more of an avid reader of the forum than anything else. But I really would like to express my thanks for everything you do for the Bogleheads community and the advancement of financial knowledge to empower the everyday investor with the skills and confidence necessary to better prepare for a financially secure future.

I officially converted to index investing about five years ago, and I am constantly amazed at the results of adopting the Boglehead approach of a buy and hold portfolio of broadly diversified low cost index funds. One of the books that officially converted me was your joint effort with Talor, Mel, and Laura in "The Bogleheads Guide to Retirement Planning." Most recently, I find myself avidly working through all of your podcast episodes of the last couple years (I had not really been a "podcast person" until I decided to start listening to your broadcasts this past summer), and I must say that it's quite rewarding to have audio access to interviews of such a highly qualified and accomplished group of people. I often find myself looking forward with anticipation to who may be interviewed on future episodes.

I know quite a lot of work goes into this, and I just wanted to let you know that it is very much appreciated, and is making a difference in the lives of a great number of people. Thank you for what you are doing.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thank you, but Bogleheads is truly a group effort with countless unsung heroes.

Rick
bog007

Post by bog007 »

great stuff
Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Rick Ferri
I was fortunate to have attended a lecture of David Swensen years ago. The experience was so valuable and I learned much. I thought it would be a great experience for the Bogleheads!
columbia

Post by columbia »

I'd like to hear an interview with someone from TIAA, with an emphasis on the Traditional and TREA funds. We - the nationwide participants - are not a small number.
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

Nice work!
:sharebeer
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

columbia wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 pm I'd like to hear an interview with someone from TIAA, with an emphasis on the Traditional and TREA funds.
My goal is to select guests who can speak on topics of general interest to large segments of the Boglehead community.

Rick Ferri
columbia

Post by columbia »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:54 pm
columbia wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 pm I'd like to hear an interview with someone from TIAA, with an emphasis on the Traditional and TREA funds.
My goal is to select guests who can speak on topics of general interest to large segments of the Boglehead community.

Rick Ferri
Ok, that's reasonable, but I'm not sure how interviewing hedge fund billionaires maps over to people worrying about having enough money to make it through retirement.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

columbia wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:17 pm
Rick Ferri wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Rick Ferri
Ok, that's reasonable, but I'm not sure how interviewing hedge fund billionaires maps over to people worrying about having enough money to make it through retirement.
If you're speaking about Cliff Asness, the interview was mainly focused on value investing, which is a big topic with Bogleheads.

Rick Ferri
Marrduk24

Post by Marrduk24 »

Rick

Thank you for these. I have enjoyed these immensely and have learnt more listening to these than reading all the forums and books.

I have to say my fav was Cliff Asness.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm The Bogleheads on Investing podcast hit a new milestone this week with over 500,000 audio downloads since inception. The podcast series began in September 2018 with our mentor, Jack Bogle, as the inaugural guest, and I have published one podcast per month since.

Here are links to all published episodes to date in chronological order:

Sep. 2018: Episode 1 - John Bogle
Oct. 2018: Episode 2 - David Blitzer
Nov. 2018: Episode 3 - Jonathan Clements
Dec. 2018: Episode 4 - Cristine Benz
Jan. 2019: Episode 5 - Gus Sauter
Feb. 2019: Episode 6 - Dan Egan
Mar. 2019: Episode 7 - Mike Piper
Apr. 2019: Episode 8 - Allan Roth
May 2019: Episode 9 - Wes Gray
Jun. 2019: Episode 10 - Debbie Fuhr and Robin Powell
Jul. 2019: Episode 11 - Mel Lindauer
Aug. 2019: Episode 12 - Larry Swedroe
Sep. 2019: Episode 13 - Bill Bernstein
Oct. 2019: Episode 14 - Chris Mamula
Nov. 2019: Episode 15 - Eric Balchunas
Dec. 2019: Episode 16 - Sheryl Garrett
Jan. 2020: Episode 17 - Joe Davis
Feb. 2020: Episode 18 - Paul Merriman
Mar. 2020: Episode 19 - Jim Dahle
Apr. 2020: Episode 20 - Jeff Levine
May 2020: Episode 21 - Larry Siegel
Jun. 2020: Episode 22 - Ed Yardeni
Jul. 2020: Episode 23 - Burton Malkiel
Aug. 2020: Episode 24 - Wade Pfau
Sep. 2020: Episode 25 - Don Phillips
Oct. 2020: Episode 26 - Morgan Housel
Nov. 2020: Episode 27 - Cliff Asness

Our next guest will be Roger Lowenstein, an award-winning journalist and author of several highly acclaimed books including Buffett, When Genius Failed, Origins of the Crash, While America Aged, and The End of Wall Street.

These podcasts are brought to you by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501c3 organization, created in 2012 by the founders of the Bogleheads organization with the assistance of Jack Bogle. The Center’s mission is to further financial education worldwide, promote low fees and financial well-being, and to foster a sense of community among our all-volunteer membership. Your tax-deductible contributions to this cause are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for listening!

Rick Ferri
Your Host
Thank you . I am listening your podcasts already for months. Many times over and over again. Also I do listen Paul Merriman’s podcasts. Both of you guy’s making me reinforce my faith in long term investing without nonsense!
Last edited by Ed 2 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Way to go, Rick and the other Bogleheads who make this possible. I'll now look forward to Roger Lowenstein.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

How about Rick Ferri as a future guest?

I guess we would need to find a guest host for that episode. :P
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

This might be a good time to interview Taylor Larimore.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

nedsaid wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:55 pm This might be a good time to interview Taylor Larimore.
Taylor and I had a discussion early on and he graciously declined due to a health issue that affects his speaking ability.

Rick Ferri
spdoublebass

Post by spdoublebass »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 pm
nedsaid wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:55 pm This might be a good time to interview Taylor Larimore.
Taylor and I had a discussion early on and he graciously declined due to a health issue that affects his speaking ability.

Rick Ferri
These podcasts are amazing. I find myself listening to them more than once.

Is there a way to possibly think outside the box in order to interview Mr. Larimore? A one time special? Maybe a blogpost (print only) or something? He is such a HUGE part of this forum and loved by many. Only tossing that out there as a suggestion, I totally understand if that is not possible.

Thank again for all of your work with the podcasts. They are really something special.
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Congratulations, just started listening about a month ago.
65% US equity | 25% INTL equity | 10% US long bonds
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I really enjoy these podcasts Rick. I have listened to 6-7 of them so far. A lot of what is talked about I don't really understand, but I am learning as I go. I really liked the Jack Bogle, WCI and Morgan Housel ones especially.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Stinky wrote: How about Rick Ferri as a future guest?

I guess we would need to find a guest host for that episode. :P
I nominate Allan Roth as the guest host to conduct the interview of Rick Ferri :D
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 5: Diversify, Diversify, Diversify.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri
Hi Rick -

I can definitely respect that! Taylor has helped so many investors on the forum in terms of sharing his accumulated wisdom and knowledge not just with investing but life in general.

Best.
Tony
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

spdoublebass wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Rick Ferri
These podcasts are amazing. I find myself listening to them more than once.

Is there a way to possibly think outside the box in order to interview Mr. Larimore? A one time special? Maybe a blogpost (print only) or something? He is such a HUGE part of this forum and loved by many. Only tossing that out there as a suggestion, I totally understand if that is not possible.

Thank again for all of your work with the podcasts. They are really something special.
I second this suggestion. Perhaps this could be an interview in the form of an article posted here. Thanks.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have interviewed Taylor on our blog. Here are the links:

1. Interview with Taylor Larimore, author of The Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio, Feb. 21, 2018.

2. Interview with Taylor Larimore: Taylor's investment journey, June 15, 2018.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Thanks for hosting the podcast Rick!