ChooseFI Facebook event tonight: MONEY TALKS with Rick Ferri, Paul Merriman, and Larry Swedroe

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

ChooseFI Facebook event tonight: MONEY TALKS with Rick Ferri, Paul Merriman, and Larry Swedroe

Post by Rick Ferri »

Hi Bogleheads,

On Wednesday, 07 October 2020 at [5:30] PM PT | [6:30] PM MT | [7:30] PM CT | [8:30] PM ET | GMT +[7:00], ChooseFI is having a special event for the ChooseFI Community, and Bogleheads are invited.

Join Jennifer Mah as she hosts a casual conversation with Rick Ferri, Paul Merriman, and Larry Swedroe focused on investments. It's an open discussion with Q&A. There is no agenda. The moderator will be fielding questions from viewers.

Here is more information:

CHOOSE FI FACEBOOK LIVE WITH RICK FERRI, PAUL MERRIMAN, LARRY SWEDROE

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
burritoLover

Re: ChooseFI Facebook event tonight: MONEY TALKS with Rick Ferri, Paul Merriman, and Larry Swedroe

Post by burritoLover »

Will this be recorded and put up on youtube at some point?
"Your money is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the less you’ll have." - Gene Fama
kolder

Re: ChooseFI Facebook event tonight: MONEY TALKS with Rick Ferri, Paul Merriman, and Larry Swedroe

Post by kolder »

Paul bringing in the big guns for backup after the white coat investor podcast? :D (kidding)

Looking forward to this thanks to all involved!
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

burritoLover wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am Will this be recorded and put up on youtube at some point?
I honestly don't know if there will be a recording. Sorry.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Rick Ferri wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:37 am
burritoLover wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am Will this be recorded and put up on youtube at some point?
I honestly don't know if there will be a recording. Sorry.

Rick Ferri
Ok - thank you.
"Your money is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the less you’ll have." - Gene Fama
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Not sure about Youtube, but the page says “Facebook Live - Watch now or catch the replay”, so it definitely will be recorded.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

can you cover the most important topics/questions over the first half hour because I plan to watch the debate starting at 9 p.m. Eastern standard time? :happy
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Greenman72

Post by Greenman72 »

^ Word. Church + debates + putting kids to bed = watching the replay.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 am
Not sure about Youtube, but the page says “Facebook Live - Watch now or catch the replay”, so it definitely will be recorded.
great - thanks!
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

It looks like Rick's been using the same HPS (hair policy statement) that I have in 2020 - just let it ride :D

I will have to watch this video tomorrow.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Rick was just about say something brilliant about target date funds, then the recording stopped... :(
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Rick,

I did watch the panel last night and wondered what you thought of the event?

FWIW, here are a few impressions from a viewer:
- Basic agreement in several key philosophies, Low cost index funds, passive over active, buy and hold over a lifetime.
- Technical issues were frustrating, difficult to get to the live feed (this is a FB issue), event ended abruptly (FB issue I think).
- You and Paul had a hard time getting in your thoughts, Larry really likes to talk! I thought Both of you handled it very well and were reasonably polite.
- It was amusing to see the range of questions and discussions flowing in while everyone was speaking. It’s evident that people are passionately interested in this topic (as was I).

I really like the energy of the ChoseFI community but find I get much more thoughtful discussion and advice here. I applaud your work in exposing others to the Boglehead community.

Thanks

WoodSpinner
Robert T

Post by Robert T »

Good discussion
Good to hear from Larry again, miss him on this forum
Good point about taxes Rick

Pick an allocation you can stick with.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robert T wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am .
Good discussion
Good to hear from Larry again, miss him on this forum
Good point about taxes Rick

Pick an allocation you can stick with.
+1

All great points on diversification and human behavior.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Watching the recording on facebook, appears to abruptly cut off at the end in the middle of someone talking. I don't hardly ever use facebook so maybe I'm doing something wrong.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Unfortunately, the technical issues were frustrating. After losing the stream halfway through, they subsequently resumed with a new link. For those interested in watching the replay, here are the links for BOTH segments...

1st part (duration 1:11:00)- https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
2nd part (duration 57:30)- https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

sleepysurf wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:33 pm Unfortunately, the technical issues were frustrating. After losing the stream halfway through, they subsequently resumed with a new link. For those interested in watching the replay, here are the links for BOTH segments...

1st part (duration 1:11:00)- https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
2nd part (duration 57:30)- https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
Sheesh, there was a second part??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for posting

WoodSpinner
Random Walker

Post by Random Walker »

Just listened to this discussion myself. I highly recommend it.

Dave