Introducing the Bogleheads Speaker Series

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Introducing the Bogleheads Speaker Series

Post by Bogle Center »

Hello Bogleheads!

The COVID-19 virus led to the cancellation of the 2020 Bogleheads Conference, and a 2021 conference is still undecided as we wait out the pandemic.

In the meantime and as a replacement, the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the Bogleheads Speaker Series! These live videoconferences will bring knowledgeable and engaging experts on finance and investing directly to you. Stay tuned for more details on how to register for the events and for announcements of additional sessions. There is no cost to register for the Bogleheads Speaker Series, but a tax-deductible donation to the Bogle Center is appreciated to help continue the mission.

Saturday, November 14, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Carl Richards “The Sketch Guy”

For our inaugural event, we’re thrilled to present a conversation with Carl Richards. Carl is well known as “The Sketch Guy” for his singular ability to turn complex financial concepts into simple, easy-to-understand sketches. Carl will be speaking with Morningstar director of personal finance and Boglehead favorite Christine Benz.

Saturday, December 5, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Dan Ariely

We all make mistakes. Dan Ariely, author of the New York Times bestseller Predictably Irrational and several other books, studies these mistakes and finds that we repeatedly and predictably make the wrong decisions. As the James B. Duke Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University, Dan translates his academic research into accessible insights that can help improve the choices we make about finance, health, and our personal lives.

Stand by for details on these events and announcements of future speakers...

The Bogle Center Board
Stinky

Re: Introducing the Bogleheads Speaker Series

Post by Stinky »

Thanks for the announcement. Those sound like great speakers.

Two questions -

Is this the official announcement of the cancellation of the 2020 BH conference? It sounds like it from the first paragraph, but wanted to confirm. Maybe this has been mentioned in another thread and I just missed it.

Will the speakers be recorded so that folks can view the presentations at other than the “live” times?

Thank you.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Is this the official announcement of the cancellation of the 2020 BH conference?
The official announcement cancelling the in-person 2020 conference was posted in May:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314271
Will the speakers be recorded so that folks can view the presentations at other than the “live” times?
The Bogleheads Speaker Series sessions will be recorded and available for future viewing on BogleCenter.net.

The Bogle Center Board
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

"The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the Bogleheads Speaker Series! These live videoconferences will bring knowledgeable and engaging experts on finance and investing directly to you. Stay tuned for more details on how to register for the events and for announcements of additional sessions. There is no cost to register for the Bogleheads Speaker Series, but a tax-deductible donation to the Bogle Center is appreciated to help continue the mission. -- Saturday, November 14, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Carl Richards “The Sketch Guy”
Bogle Center:

I am looking forward to hearing Carl Richards who, like Mr. Bogle, makes investing simple.

My donation is my royalties to The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "This business is all about simplicity and low cost. I'm not into all these market strategies and theories and cost-benefit analyses - all the bureaucracy that goes with business. In investing, strip all the baloney out of it, and give people what you promise."

"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 am Bogle Center:

I am looking forward to hearing Carl Richards who, like Mr. Bogle, makes investing simple.

My donation is my royalties to The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,

Your generous donations of all royalties from your book are greatly appreciated!

The Bogle Center Board
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm looking forward to the series.

On an administrative note, I've locked the prior announcement 2020 Bogleheads Conference Update and redirected the discussion here.

This thread is now a sticky at the top of the forum. (The prior thread is no longer a sticky.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Ooh, I like the idea that if this is a virtual event that it is spread out versus the typical few days back-to-back. Thank you all for all your hard work in organizing this. I look forward to it!
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Just to confirm, the Speaker Series is in lieu of (rather than in addition to) the October virtual event that was discussed in the prior thread?
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Looking forward to the speaker series! Thanks for the hard work to pull this together.

WoodSpinner
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 am Just to confirm, the Speaker Series is in lieu of (rather than in addition to) the October virtual event that was discussed in the prior thread?
That is correct.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Thank you! This sounds fantastic!
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Bogle Center wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 pm
ObliviousInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 am Just to confirm, the Speaker Series is in lieu of (rather than in addition to) the October virtual event that was discussed in the prior thread?
That is correct.
Thank you! Looking forward to it.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
JMKEBogleGuy

Bogleheads Conference 2020..... 😫

Post by JMKEBogleGuy »

Well hello everyone my calendar popped up a reminder for the Bogleheads Conference which was to start tomorrow. I don’t post often but I have enjoyed the conference a number of times so perhaps I missed any discussion of this but... Just wanted to say it’s a bummer and hope everyone is well and looking forward to the next time we can all get together. Really enjoy pretty much everything about the conference and was looking forward to whatever new formats there would be this year. Hope everyone is well and hanging in there in this crazy 2020 year. Take care all and Bogle On!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ You haven't missed anything. I merged your post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Bogleheads Conference 2020..... 😫

Post by Taylor Larimore »

JMKEBogleGuy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:54 pm Well hello everyone my calendar popped up a reminder for the Bogleheads Conference which was to start tomorrow. I don’t post often but I have enjoyed the conference a number of times so perhaps I missed any discussion of this but... Just wanted to say it’s a bummer and hope everyone is well and looking forward to the next time we can all get together. Really enjoy pretty much everything about the conference and was looking forward to whatever new formats there would be this year. Hope everyone is well and hanging in there in this crazy 2020 year. Take care all and Bogle On!
JMKEBogleGuy:

Like you, I greatly miss our Bogleheads Conferences which Mel and I started 20 years ago in my living-room in Miami. It may be the most successful Conferences anywhere. It invariably sells-out within a day or two. I've never heard anyone say or write that they were disappointed.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "My mission has been to change the industry so that our nation's citizens--the human beings who invest in mutual funds--get a fair shake."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Those are two great guests and both great speakers. Thank you for all you do.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy »

Wonderful glad I have not missed this. Looking forward to it!

Thank you LadyGeek!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Unfortunately I will be unable to watch on the 14th but would love to see it? Will these videoconferences be made available on-demand for those who can't join the live stream?
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 pm Unfortunately I will be unable to watch on the 14th but would love to see it? Will these videoconferences be made available on-demand for those who can't join the live stream?
Yes they will.