A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

I am well aware of the risk of sector funds. In looking at technology funds, what is a good fund or ETF on the market that includes all the tech heavyweights? Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Zoom, etc.

Vanguards Information Technology fund excludes Amazon as that is a consumer staple. It may exclude other tech companies as well.

Note: In full disclosure, before anyone gets excited, my son is playing a stock picking games on CBS Marketwatch with friends. He wants to pick a Technology fund and a bunch of individual stocks. I convinced him to also include Total Stock, which he did. I hope he picks a Technology fund and other stocks and then can see how it performs and learns overall.

Is there an iShares fund or ETF that is more of a pure play?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MrJedi
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by MrJedi »

Not strictly technology but QQQ might fit the bill.
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

IGM iShares Expanded Tech Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... n-tech-etf

IGV : iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... ftware-etf
Last edited by LiveSimple on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
columbia
Posts: 2926
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by columbia »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:51 pm IGM iShares Expanded Tech Sector ETF
This is the correct answer, as 4 of the top 6 holdings are not classified as information technology and, as such, are not in VGT.
000
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by 000 »

What about PLAT - WisdomTree Modern Tech Platforms Fund - with a 116.32 P/E? :mrgreen:
alex_686
Posts: 6833
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by alex_686 »

If it is a stock game, it tends to be winner take all so load up on as few high risk bets.

Assuming the game is for a short duration, I would recommend triple leveraged QQQs - forget the ticker.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

alex_686 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 pm If it is a stock game, it tends to be winner take all so load up on as few high risk bets.

Assuming the game is for a short duration, I would recommend triple leveraged QQQs - forget the ticker.
TQQQ

ProShares UltraPro QQQ seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, that correspond to three times (3x) the daily performance of the Nasdaq-100 Index®.

https://www.proshares.com/funds/tqqq.html
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:42 pm
alex_686 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 pm If it is a stock game, it tends to be winner take all so load up on as few high risk bets.

Assuming the game is for a short duration, I would recommend triple leveraged QQQs - forget the ticker.
TQQQ

ProShares UltraPro QQQ seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, that correspond to three times (3x) the daily performance of the Nasdaq-100 Index®.

https://www.proshares.com/funds/tqqq.html
Wow. That is incredible leverage!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
softmax
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:27 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by softmax »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:51 pm IGM iShares Expanded Tech Sector ETF

IGV : iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... ftware-etf
It doesn't even have AAPL. Why is it representative?
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

softmax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:03 pm It doesn't even have AAPL. Why is it representative?
Check IGM it has Apple.
IGM iShares Expanded Tech Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... n-tech-etf

IGV do not have Apple
IGV : iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... ftware-etf

Go 50 / 50 if you combine both :sharebeer
core4portfolio
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by core4portfolio »

XLK or VGT
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
Busdrvr
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Busdrvr »

Check out ARK funds/ETFs.....I like ARKW..Web2.0. ARKK is innovation. Solid performers.
softmax
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:27 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by softmax »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 pm
softmax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:03 pm It doesn't even have AAPL. Why is it representative?
Check IGM it has Apple.
IGM iShares Expanded Tech Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... n-tech-etf

IGV do not have Apple
IGV : iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector ETF
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239 ... ftware-etf

Go 50 / 50 if you combine both :sharebeer
Ah thanks! Software doesn't equal to tech I guess.
Hyperchicken
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Hyperchicken »

No one mentioned MGK yet.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(56.80% of total net assets) as of 08/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Tesla Inc.
7 Visa Inc.
8 Mastercard Inc.
9 NVIDIA Corp.
10 Home Depot Inc.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Hyperchicken wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:08 am No one mentioned MGK yet.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(56.80% of total net assets) as of 08/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Tesla Inc.
7 Visa Inc.
8 Mastercard Inc.
9 NVIDIA Corp.
10 Home Depot Inc.
Home Depot in a technology fund?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Hyperchicken
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Hyperchicken »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am Home Depot in a technology fund?
They sell electronics. 8-)
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Hyperchicken wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:15 am
abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am Home Depot in a technology fund?
They sell electronics. 8-)
That was good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am
Hyperchicken wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:08 am No one mentioned MGK yet.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(56.80% of total net assets) as of 08/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Tesla Inc.
7 Visa Inc.
8 Mastercard Inc.
9 NVIDIA Corp.
10 Home Depot Inc.
Home Depot in a technology fund?
Vanguard Mega Cap Growth ETF (MGK) This is the mega cap fund a d not a tech fund. Most tech companies are known mega cap companies hence bubbles into the top 10 companies of the fund.
Valuethinker
Posts: 41141
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Valuethinker »

LiveSimple wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 am
abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am
Hyperchicken wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:08 am No one mentioned MGK yet.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(56.80% of total net assets) as of 08/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Tesla Inc.
7 Visa Inc.
8 Mastercard Inc.
9 NVIDIA Corp.
10 Home Depot Inc.
Home Depot in a technology fund?
Vanguard Mega Cap Growth ETF (MGK) This is the mega cap fund a d not a tech fund. Most tech companies are known mega cap companies hence bubbles into the top 10 companies of the fund.
You'd be amazed how many tech companies are in my global value funds: Intel, Cisco, Oracle, TSMC, Samsung etc ...
occambogle
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by occambogle »

Busdrvr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:52 pm Check out ARK funds/ETFs.....I like ARKW..Web2.0. ARKK is innovation. Solid performers.
If you want a "tech" tilt but don't want to increase concentration in the FAANG-type stocks that are already well-represented in the S&P500 then I think these fit the bill, if one is happy with actively-managed of course.
Busdrvr
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Busdrvr »

Just as I was researching today I came upon this. And if it were just play money then you’d have to place a bet here IMO.

For a wild ride try FNGU...3X leveraged by Microsectors

YTD comparison with TQQQ, also 3X has FNGU up 170% vs 32% for TQQQ.
HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

WCLD. B2B cloud computing companies, up 61% YTD.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

I am curious how many Bogleheads would be more comfortable with a technology fund than international stocks!

Nonetheless I am going to pass the iShares fund on to the kid for his MarketWatch game. Some
of the alternatives are crazy!
Last edited by abuss368 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
drk
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by drk »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am Home Depot in a technology fund?
Home Depot (like Nike, Domino's Pizza, and the New York Times Company) is a technology company that just happened to start with physical products.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

drk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am Home Depot in a technology fund?
Home Depot (like Nike, Domino's Pizza, and the New York Times Company) is a technology company that just happened to start with physical products.
That is an interesting way of looking at Home Depot.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

I am curious, outside of my kid's game on MarketWatch, how many Bogleheads are in sector funds like technology. I have read some posts here and there inquiring.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Wade Garrett
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Jasper, MO/Double Deuce

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by Wade Garrett »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 am how many Bogleheads are in sector funds like technology
I have a small portion of my equity allocation in consumer staples (VDC). And even smaller portions in healthcare (VHT) and utilities (VPU).

But I don't consider myself a boglehead in the total market, 3 fund, etc sense. I do consider myself a boglehead in the keep costs low, wide diversification, etc sense.
"I'm not an inventor. I'm an improver. I see things that are wrong, and I improve them." - Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Wade Garrett wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:17 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 am how many Bogleheads are in sector funds like technology
I have a small portion of my equity allocation in consumer staples (VDC). And even smaller portions in healthcare (VHT) and utilities (VPU).

But I don't consider myself a boglehead in the total market, 3 fund, etc sense. I do consider myself a boglehead in the keep costs low, wide diversification, etc sense.
I recall getting burned over 20 years ago by a broker at Merrill Lynch who recommended the Munder NetNet fund. That fund went belly up and what was left was merged into another fund.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bck63
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by bck63 »

XLT (The Technology Select Sector SPDR Fund).
dsg123
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by dsg123 »

I own ARKK.
I think it’s the best of the “tech “ funds.

Lots of good articles on their website.

It’s expense ratio definitely not cheap, but it’s active management and think their research/strategy seems good. ARKK is their broad based etf.

I like the ETF wrapper too—no capital gains.
They post their buys/sells and research on their website
(Ark Investest).
occambogle
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by occambogle »

dsg123 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 pm I own ARKK.
I think it’s the best of the “tech “ funds.
ARKK is their broad based etf.
I like it too. And yes, ARKK is their flagship fund that crosses all the sectors they cover. However another way of doing it is to buy 25% each of ARKG,ARKW,ARKF,ARKQ - and no ARKK - which gives you ownership of a lot more companies (because some are present in the individual ETFs but not ARKK). Backtesting is limited by ARKF starting in March 2019, and 100% ARKK has slight edge in overrall return, but the 25% method shows a bit lower STDev, higher Sharpe and Sortino... presumably because of the greater diversification (in companies, not sectors).

I'm not saying that is better, just throwing it out there as an option. Someone on Reddit did a spreadsheet of 100% ARKK vs 25% each of the others, I found it interesting.
dsg123 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 pm They post their buys/sells and research on their website
Yes they are very transparent about everything they do. You can get their intraday trades emailed to you daily by signing up here. For me, none of it is actionable, but I find it an interesting way to find out and learn more about new companies they invest in.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

Has anyone ever read The Bull Market Report at https://www.bullmarket.com

The newsletter recommends many individual stocks and bond funds. They appear to focus on the US (not many, if any international stocks) in terms of blue chips and others, REITS, Technology, and High Dividends. Appears the track record is good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
retire2022
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by retire2022 »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:34 pm Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
abuss368 I have discussed why I own VGT here:

viewtopic.php?p=5436621#p5436621

Here is my current line up:

Currently it is Vanguard Information Technology is 29% of my Roth IRA.

pretax 457
Vanguard PrimeCap 28%
Blackrock Ishares CIT SP500 19%
Black Russell2500 CIT 19%

taxable
Apple shares 2%

today's closing price my portfolio is 1.97 million.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:39 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:34 pm Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
abuss368 I have discussed why I own VGT here:

viewtopic.php?p=5436621#p5436621

Here is my current line up:

Currently it is Vanguard Information Technology is 29% of my Roth IRA.

pretax 457
Vanguard PrimeCap 28%
Blackrock Ishares CIT SP500 19%
Black Russell2500 CIT 19%

taxable
Apple shares 2%

today's closing price my portfolio is 1.97 million.
Wow! Simple and effective. So you don’t invest in any international stocks and bonds or US bonds?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
retire2022
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by retire2022 »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 pm
Wow! Simple and effective. So you don’t invest in any international stocks and bonds or US bonds?
Not with the current climate on war with China.

I had small investment, approx 95K in international for five years and it lagged, I sold it for VGT.

VGT was moving, so I had tech long time ago during the first internet boom, and turned 10K into 70K 1997-March 2000 before the crash.

It was used as my down payment on my coop apartment.

I don't need bonds because my pension estimated at 66K per year (COLA) is like a five million bond.

Also being VGT in Roth means in 12 years it could be worth one million or more. If it goes bust, I have my pretax 457 subject to RMD to fall back on.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 pm
Wow! Simple and effective. So you don’t invest in any international stocks and bonds or US bonds?
Not with the current climate on war with China.

I had small investment, approx 95K in international for five years and it lagged, I sold it for VGT.

VGT was moving, so I had tech long time ago during the first internet boom, and turned 10K into 70K 1997-March 2000 before the crash.

It was used as my down payment on my coop apartment.

I don't need bonds because my pension estimated at 66K per year (COLA) is like a five million bond.

Also being VGT in Roth means in 12 years it could be worth one million or more. If it goes bust, I have my pretax 457 subject to RMD to fall back on.
That is interesting. So you are worried with China and the potential impact to international stocks?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
retire2022
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by retire2022 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 am
That is interesting. So you are worried with China and the potential impact to international stocks?
Without getting into to politics, in regards to a war with China, I meant a trade war, which the current climate disfavors owning international equities.

When I owned Vanguard FTSE ex US world VFWAX, it was volatile due to tweets from the current administration.

I am risk mitigator, international funds have currency risks, it only works when the USA funds are out of favor.

I am NOT worried as I am an aggressive investor, and my AA is currently 98/2 cash.

This may change as I am not currently in favor of owning CIT funds, Blackrock's SP500 and Russell 2500, the later I am planning to exit. I am timing the Russell 2500 so that if it hits Feb 21, 2020 levels, this way I would not sold at a lost and I am made whole.

I plan to unload my funds in 457 and will be out of the funds once I am retired, and expect to transfer everything to Vanguard. There is no point in my 457 to keep its further composition when there is market volatility due to Covid.

I am not sure when I am planning to leave my job.

I will decide whether or not to participate in international funds once I am retired.

Nevertheless, from what I gather from your "asking questions" post in 2009 you are 45?

If that is true 45-67=22 years of investing which is another lifetime, what is your Asset Allocation?
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 am
That is interesting. So you are worried with China and the potential impact to international stocks?
Without getting into to politics, in regards to a war with China, I meant a trade war, which the current climate disfavors owning international equities.

When I owned Vanguard FTSE ex US world VFWAX, it was volatile due to tweets from the current administration.

I am risk mitigator, international funds have currency risks, it only works when the USA funds are out of favor.

I am NOT worried as I am an aggressive investor, and my AA is currently 98/2 cash.

This may change as I am not currently in favor of owning CIT funds, Blackrock's SP500 and Russell 2500, the later I am planning to exit. I am timing the Russell 2500 so that if it hits Feb 21, 2020 levels, this way I would not sold at a lost and I am made whole.

I plan to unload my funds in 457 and will be out of the funds once I am retired, and expect to transfer everything to Vanguard. There is no point in my 457 to keep its further composition when there is market volatility due to Covid.

I am not sure when I am planning to leave my job.

I will decide whether or not to participate in international funds once I am retired.

Nevertheless, from what I gather from your "asking questions" post in 2009 you are 45?

If that is true 45-67=22 years of investing which is another lifetime, what is your Asset Allocation?
That is an interesting perspective. I wonder how many other Bogleheads don’t invest in international or better yet are more comfortable owning a technology fund than Total International.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by anon_investor »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm
retire2022 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 am
That is interesting. So you are worried with China and the potential impact to international stocks?
Without getting into to politics, in regards to a war with China, I meant a trade war, which the current climate disfavors owning international equities.

When I owned Vanguard FTSE ex US world VFWAX, it was volatile due to tweets from the current administration.

I am risk mitigator, international funds have currency risks, it only works when the USA funds are out of favor.

I am NOT worried as I am an aggressive investor, and my AA is currently 98/2 cash.

This may change as I am not currently in favor of owning CIT funds, Blackrock's SP500 and Russell 2500, the later I am planning to exit. I am timing the Russell 2500 so that if it hits Feb 21, 2020 levels, this way I would not sold at a lost and I am made whole.

I plan to unload my funds in 457 and will be out of the funds once I am retired, and expect to transfer everything to Vanguard. There is no point in my 457 to keep its further composition when there is market volatility due to Covid.

I am not sure when I am planning to leave my job.

I will decide whether or not to participate in international funds once I am retired.

Nevertheless, from what I gather from your "asking questions" post in 2009 you are 45?

If that is true 45-67=22 years of investing which is another lifetime, what is your Asset Allocation?
That is an interesting perspective. I wonder how many other Bogleheads don’t invest in international or better yet are more comfortable owning a technology fund than Total International.
Isn't anyone holding only the S&P500, basically holding a giant tech fund with no international?
retire2022
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by retire2022 »

abuss

see this good discussion on International viewtopic.php?p=5547394#p5547394
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm
retire2022 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 am
That is interesting. So you are worried with China and the potential impact to international stocks?
Without getting into to politics, in regards to a war with China, I meant a trade war, which the current climate disfavors owning international equities.

When I owned Vanguard FTSE ex US world VFWAX, it was volatile due to tweets from the current administration.

I am risk mitigator, international funds have currency risks, it only works when the USA funds are out of favor.

I am NOT worried as I am an aggressive investor, and my AA is currently 98/2 cash.

This may change as I am not currently in favor of owning CIT funds, Blackrock's SP500 and Russell 2500, the later I am planning to exit. I am timing the Russell 2500 so that if it hits Feb 21, 2020 levels, this way I would not sold at a lost and I am made whole.

I plan to unload my funds in 457 and will be out of the funds once I am retired, and expect to transfer everything to Vanguard. There is no point in my 457 to keep its further composition when there is market volatility due to Covid.

I am not sure when I am planning to leave my job.

I will decide whether or not to participate in international funds once I am retired.

Nevertheless, from what I gather from your "asking questions" post in 2009 you are 45?

If that is true 45-67=22 years of investing which is another lifetime, what is your Asset Allocation?
That is an interesting perspective. I wonder how many other Bogleheads don’t invest in international or better yet are more comfortable owning a technology fund than Total International.
Isn't anyone holding only the S&P500, basically holding a giant tech fund with no international?
Excellent point. I read recently that about 25% of the market cap of the S&P 500 was technology stocks. Oh well, my kid’s Marketwatch game is the rage and he and friends are competing! I hope they are learning a good investment v. Speculation lesson!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 pm abuss

see this good discussion on International viewtopic.php?p=5547394#p5547394
THANK YOU for that link. I am going to read the threads. I have been asking just that for years!

While my kids are playing their MarketWatch games, there are many times I have thought I would rather have a tech fund than International! Something is going on there.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BV3273
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by BV3273 »

How about FSPGX - Fidelity Large Cap Growth. ER is only 0.035.
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:34 pm Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
Can you allocate say 20% or 25% to tech on an otherwise diversified portfolio, to suit your needs.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

LiveSimple wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:34 pm Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
Can you allocate say 20% or 25% to tech on an otherwise diversified portfolio, to suit your needs.
Come to think of it you can. However this results in underdiversification of other sectors.

So answer is I would think not!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm
LiveSimple wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:34 pm Do how many Bogleheads invest in a technology as part of a well developed investment strategy?
Can you allocate say 20% or 25% to tech on an otherwise diversified portfolio, to suit your needs.
Come to think of it you can. However this results in underdiversification of other sectors.

So answer is I would think not!
To be fair, after reading Rick Ferri, Four Fund Portfolio, here all the factor based portfolios, Trev H portfolio, Paul Merrimack Slices, slice and dice portfolios, Larry’s factor based, Small value tilts, I tilted to tech, as above.

Thought do I want the experience 1. Well diversified portfolio or 2. portfolio that help FIRE, I prefer to chose the later. YMMV.
Last edited by LiveSimple on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
SquawkIdent
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by SquawkIdent »

PRGTX - T Rowe Price Global Technology Fund
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 21536
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by abuss368 »

SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 pm PRGTX - T Rowe Price Global Technology Fund
Thanks! I think my kids game is on to something! Maybe a tech fund is better than international!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: A Good Technology Fund or EFT?

Post by LiveSimple »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm
SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 pm PRGTX - T Rowe Price Global Technology Fund
Thanks! I think my kids game is on to something! Maybe a tech fund is better than international!
Abuss368, did you made a decision tech or no tech :sharebeer
Post Reply