After-Tax Return comparison of similar index funds/etf

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
SmileyFace

After-Tax Return comparison of similar index funds/etf

Post by SmileyFace »

A while back someone posted a list to a spreadsheet that compared returns of similar index funds/etfs (e.g. VTI vs ITOT vs SCHB, VTSAX versus FZROX, etc.). It included each's returns and distributions allowing you to assess major Index Funds/ETFs as taxable investments and although, many differences could be called in-the-noise, it was useful. After several google searches (and many distractions in looking over other spreadsheets) I can't locate it.

Anyone have a link to it?

Thanks in advance and sorry to post a query for my failed search effort.
David Jay

Re: After-Tax Return comparison of similar index funds/etf

Post by David Jay »

Let me give your question a bump.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
SmileyFace

Re: After-Tax Return comparison of similar index funds/etf

Post by SmileyFace »

David Jay wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:40 pm Let me give your question a bump.
Thanks for bumping. I had more time today so did a ton more searching and found what I "may" have been looking for except I thought someone had updated it for 2019.
I was looking for the spreadsheet here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=242137
BUT I thought someone had updated it for 2019 to include things like FZROX - maybe that was just a discussion.
Someone else asked the question early this year (viewtopic.php?t=299676) and there was no update.

Looks like Fidelity provides a "Tax Cost" Ratio - will look into how that is calculated.

Triceratop was the creator - if I recall correctly he was a moderator - looks like he left the building in mid-2019 - I think he was a grad student who spent a lot of time here answering stuff - sharp albeit a bit arrogant at times as I recall (but aren't we all :) ).