Books/websites for a 12 year old to learn about investing

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
newbie003

Books/websites for a 12 year old to learn about investing

Post by newbie003 »

Any recommendations on good books/websites that I can buy/show my 12 year old who is showing some interest in investing? I've done some simple explaining (trying to teach the virtues of index funds...) but he's an avid reader so I figure it might help to buy him a book or something (to give him a broader insight into investing, while I can continue to focus on the simpler things).

I checked Amazon for their top investing books and most of the reviews are mixed (which can probably be expected).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dottie57

Re: Books/websites for a 12 year old to learn about investing

Post by Dottie57 »

Look for the IfYouCan.pdf on the internet by William Bernstein. Extremely short. Well written.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I've read several dozen books on investing. Probably the best and easiest to understand from a newbie's perspective is Larry Swedroe's, Wise Investing Made Simple.

I've bought and given Wise Investing Made Simple to a number of close relatives. Probably the best single book if I had to recommend one for a young or novice investor.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
B. Wellington

Post by B. Wellington »

Website: Humble Dollar. Jonathan Clements and other authors have a world of information on the site. Not just about investing, but life goals, behavior, saving, real life experiences, just to name a few.

Great place to start for anyone, at any age.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Has anyone read "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"? It's on my list, but I would presume maybe it would be something that would work OK for that.
Thrift stores, outlets and market corrections have this in common: you're buying on sale.
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

The Teenage Investor by Timothy Olsen.

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Investor ... 0071416633

This book created quite a stir when it first came out, but I don't know if it follows Boglehead principles, which are absolutely the way to go.

Here is Getting Started from our Wiki, but I don't know if a 12 yo will be able to understand it all.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Maybe some options here, but again, I think it's best to stick with Boglehead's philosophy

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +investors

Help him with grasping the Bogleheads' fundamentals and have him write his own book! :happy

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

newbie003 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am Any recommendations on good books/websites that I can buy/show my 12 year old who is showing some interest in investing? I've done some simple explaining (trying to teach the virtues of index funds...) but he's an avid reader so I figure it might help to buy him a book or something (to give him a broader insight into investing, while I can continue to focus on the simpler things).

I checked Amazon for their top investing books and most of the reviews are mixed (which can probably be expected).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Look for the Warren Buffet kids cartoon book. My kids read it and learned tons. My daughter wrote Warren Buffet and enclosed a picture of herself holding the book. Sent it to his Omaha office.

What do you know? She received a response!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

12 year olds are are more engaged with TikTok and IG

Screen for John Bogle, Warren Buffett and US index investing content
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Random Walk Down Wallstreet would work for an avid reader at that age I would think. Intro To Bogleheads is good too but more focused on the implementation than simply getting them interested in the overall themes.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Why would a 12 year old need to learn about investing?

Budgeting? Maybe. Delayed gratification? Yes.

But investing? Why? Are they expressing a interest in the subject? If not, I would suggest other skills that are more age appropriate and yield higher dividends.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm Random Walk Down Wallstreet would work for an avid reader at that age I would think. Intro To Bogleheads is good too but more focused on the implementation than simply getting them interested in the overall themes.
I would counter with 'Against the Gods' by Peter L. Bernstein. It is a nice enjoyable popular history on risk and statistics. Its subject material is broader and more engaging. That being said, I think both are a bit heavy for a 12 year old.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

A Random Walk Down Wall Street is a great introduction to the theory of investing. Does a 12 year old need to know about investing? I didn't have any funds to invest for retirement until after I finished college.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I don't know any 12-year olds myself, so I don't know if they can open accounts for themselves (with some type of parental permission, perhaps?) but if they could, I think it would be more educational to just open an account for him with $500 in it (or let him do whatever he wants with an account that only has $500 in it) and then let him learn by doing.

I think it should be quite interesting for him to realize how dividends work, the mechanics of buying shares, etc. All of that can be quite fun.
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

alex_686 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm Why would a 12 year old need to learn about investing?

Budgeting? Maybe. Delayed gratification? Yes.

But investing? Why? Are they expressing a interest in the subject? If not, I would suggest other skills that are more age appropriate and yield higher dividends.
This would be my suggestion as well with similar reasoning. Unless there is a specific strong investing interest I’d focus on money management and behavior first.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

There's an app called RobinHood and you can trade option contracts there....

Just sayin'...