Vanguard Advisors Website Fund Comparison Tool

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Angst

Vanguard Advisors Website Fund Comparison Tool

Post by Angst »

I just noticed that Vanguard's fund comparison tool at their advisors website has been updated and it appears to be fairly good and an improvement over the earlier version which I think lacked some of the ease of use and quality of presentation that this new one now has. The old one cluttered up fairly quickly as you added funds and this one handles that better.

Here's the link to use it:
https://advisors.vanguard.com/investments/tools/compare/

I tried it comparing these short-term bond funds:
VUSFX - Ultra ST Bond
VSGBX - ST Federal
VSCSX - ST Corp Bond

and then I also tried comparing the following SC value funds:
VTWV - Russell 2000 Value
VIOV - S&P SC 600 Value
VFVA - US Value Factor
BOTSX - Bridgeway Omni Tax-Mgd SC Value

I'm not trying to do an in-depth review here but I think this tool has been improved and continues to be something folks here may find helpful. No, it's nothing like using portfoliovisualizer or portfoliocharts, but you do get fairly well-organized overviews for bond or equity mutual funds and ETF's. Here are a few quick observations:

- It states: "Powered by Morningstar"
- It includes side by side style box comparisons
- Using your <left-right> keys when viewing "Top 10 Holdings" is helpful
- Style metrics unfortunately are more limited than what you see at M*
- Hovering over various graphics, data, fund symbols, etc often brings up additional info.
- As an aside... I have no idea why Vanguard uses the Russell 3000 index as the benchmark for VFVA rather than the Russell 3000 Value index, or even their MidCap Value index.

Check it out!
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Vanguard Advisors Website Fund Comparison Tool

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Angst wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:57 pm I just noticed that Vanguard's fund comparison tool at their advisors website has been updated and it appears to be fairly good and an improvement over the earlier version which I think lacked some of the ease of use and quality of presentation that this new one now has. The old one cluttered up fairly quickly as you added funds and this one handles that better.

Here's the link to use it:
https://advisors.vanguard.com/investments/tools/compare/

I tried it comparing these short-term bond funds:
VUSFX - Ultra ST Bond
VSGBX - ST Federal
VSCSX - ST Corp Bond

and then I also tried comparing the following SC value funds:
VTWV - Russell 2000 Value
VIOV - S&P SC 600 Value
VFVA - US Value Factor
BOTSX - Bridgeway Omni Tax-Mgd SC Value

I'm not trying to do an in-depth review here but I think this tool has been improved and continues to be something folks here may find helpful. No, it's nothing like using portfoliovisualizer or portfoliocharts, but you do get fairly well-organized overviews for bond or equity mutual funds and ETF's. Here are a few quick observations:

- It states: "Powered by Morningstar"
- It includes side by side style box comparisons
- Using your <left-right> keys when viewing "Top 10 Holdings" is helpful
- Style metrics unfortunately are more limited than what you see at M*
- Hovering over various graphics, data, fund symbols, etc often brings up additional info.
- As an aside... I have no idea why Vanguard uses the Russell 3000 index as the benchmark for VFVA rather than the Russell 3000 Value index, or even their MidCap Value index.

Check it out!
thanks. there's a couple nice features there. bookmarked it. Thanks!
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement